hulika

Author Topic: Pupil, New Album and New Drummer: Wildlife and Wendell  (Read 3760 times)

Offline hugaspaso78

• Netizen Level
Pupil, New Album and New Drummer: Wildlife and Wendell
« on: September 29, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »
Pupil released their new album last Sep 20. Anu sa tingin nyo? Me patutunguhan ba sila Ely with this second album as the Pupil?  :mrgreen:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pupil, New Album and New Drummer: Wildlife and Wendell
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:25:45 AM »
galing ni wendell

Offline pepperjack

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
the new drummer kicks ass, the new album is much better than the first. why? because it has a more cohesive flow. ely is beginning to master the foundations of modern rock just as he mastered manila sound in his e-heads days.

compare beautiful machines to wildlife and you'll see how pupil evolved in their songwriting and musicianship. the songs doesn't drag and the song structures have a point. yeah, this new release will make people appreciate them even more.

what about you, hugaspaso78? what's your opinion.

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »
Kasama ba sa bagong album yung "Sala"?

Ang ganda kasi ng kanta.  :-)
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline pepperjack

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »
Kasama ba sa bagong album yung "Sala"?

Ang ganda kasi ng kanta.  :-)

yep.

watch their myxlive performance to check out their new songs:

Offline hugaspaso78

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:13:44 AM »
the new drummer kicks ass, the new album is much better than the first. why? because it has a more cohesive flow. ely is beginning to master the foundations of modern rock just as he mastered manila sound in his e-heads days.

compare beautiful machines to wildlife and you'll see how pupil evolved in their songwriting and musicianship. the songs doesn't drag and the song structures have a point. yeah, this new release will make people appreciate them even more.

After listening to this album, some people might think ely has come back to his yesteryears but personally, I don't think so. After listening to their new album gazillion times, I could hear eheads, mongols, and Pupil in Beautiful Machines. That would make me agree about their music evolution as you have stated.
Whoever might think this otherwise, would probably not that appreciative of the songs during their time with Mongols and Beautiful Machines.
An Eheads fan could probably be one of those people whose mind is clouded by the ultraelectromagnetic success of his/her fav band. Moreover with the outbreak of the nostalgia brought by kaliwa't kanang walang katapusang tributes. For these people, Ely singing a catchy tune will mark him and whatever his band he is in as Eheads, and this inhibits them to move forward.
I think this new album and  line-up of Pupil success will depend on how listeners will take the changes. Paurong ba o pasulong? Tignan na lang naten. Pero ako +1 na ko pasulong sa future ng Pupil.

Offline pepperjack

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »
After listening to this album, some people might think ely has come back to his yesteryears but personally, I don't think so. After listening to their new album gazillion times, I could hear eheads, mongols, and Pupil in Beautiful Machines. That would make me agree about their music evolution as you have stated.
Whoever might think this otherwise, would probably not that appreciative of the songs during their time with Mongols and Beautiful Machines.
An Eheads fan could probably be one of those people whose mind is clouded by the ultraelectromagnetic success of his/her fav band. Moreover with the outbreak of the nostalgia brought by kaliwa't kanang walang katapusang tributes. For these people, Ely singing a catchy tune will mark him and whatever his band he is in as Eheads, and this inhibits them to move forward.
I think this new album and  line-up of Pupil success will depend on how listeners will take the changes. Paurong ba o pasulong? Tignan na lang naten. Pero ako +1 na ko pasulong sa future ng Pupil.

amen. pasulong din ang future ng pupil. kung modern rock ang beautiful machines, modern rock but much much better ang pupil with a dose of the mongols' bad ass guitar playing. aaminin ko, ang daming kong naririnig na mongols-esque riffs and sound here and there.

yeah, mahirap talagang ma-persuade ang pinaka-die hard na e-heads fan. they should realize that there is beauty in power chords and distortion when played right and pupil played them right. it seems like people like their new sound. sala is making a buzz even to some eheads fans.

Offline zonko

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »
I haven't seen Eli perform for quite awhile but I caught their gig at dredd the other week when they did stuff from the new album.   Pepperjack says it better than I could.  And yes, Wendell kicks ass.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »
galing talaga ni wendell kahit barbie's cradel inaabangan ko mga gigs dati makita lang drumming ni wendell para makanakaw ng licks hehehe

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »

Teka, tanong lang po. Iniiwasan ba ni Sir Ely yung writing style nya noon?  :?
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline pepperjack

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 10:50:20 PM »
Teka, tanong lang po. Iniiwasan ba ni Sir Ely yung writing style nya noon?  :?

i don't think so. he is just venturing on a different sound but songwriting and singing wise, still him. his lyrics in pupil is more personal (it's all about love!) compared to his storytelling-style lyrics in e-heads.

when people say that sala or monobloc sounds like e-heads, it doesn't, it sounds like ely's. ely contributed his skills as part of e-heads and he is now doing the same as part of pupil. ely will always be ely.

Offline hugaspaso78

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 12:53:08 AM »
i don't think so. he is just venturing on a different sound but songwriting and singing wise, still him. his lyrics in pupil is more personal (it's all about love!) compared to his storytelling-style lyrics in e-heads.

when people say that sala or monobloc sounds like e-heads, it doesn't, it sounds like ely's. ely contributed his skills as part of e-heads and he is now doing the same as part of pupil. ely will always be ely.

Andami haka haka na ganto tungkol ke ely. Moreover na some has conspiracy theories that he hates eheads. Mejo malabo un mga taong naniniwala na umiiwas nga si ely sa writing style nya noon, baket kamo? kasi tutok sila sa lyrics ng kanta. Kumbaga, karamihan ng eheads lyrics that made them famous are, kundi in layman's term na madaling intindihin, eh tungkol sa mababaw na takbo ng buhay ng tao (kung anu nararamdaman ng lasing, panliligaw na wala rin pinatunguhan, katorpehan, pagaaral mag drive, tungkol sa sembreak, etc.). Ely was still in eheads when he created Carbonstereoxide, if you analyze the lyrics, this encompases his persona today, which, maari masabe mo rin na iniiwasan na ni Ely yun writing style nya from Ultraelectromagneticpop to Natin 99.
Pero if you dig in deeper, I think its about the wit of how ely would express simple part of life, to the listeners (magandang example yun Spolarium, which was done on a first person view of getting drunk, fav ko to dahil dun sa delivery nun lyrics). This talent of Ely in fact, never faded, solid proof is the Wildlife album (I won't give examples, just buy the album and hear them yourselves).
Consider this, a child no longer plays the toys he used to play when he realizes to move on as a man. Ely still has the talent, kaya lang nahihirapan na siguro yun mga tao intindihin un songs nya, nde na sha in layman's term na madaling intindihin eh, tulad nun nasa eheads pa sha. These people yun mga taong kalaro ni Ely noon, who are disappointed because Ely won't play with them no more.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:56:16 AM by hugaspaso78 »

Offline andrea4prez

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 02:25:57 AM »
I KNOW BIAS kasi elytista ako..but w/ monobloc and disconnection notice na new songs nya, i really think ELY is BACK!!! the songwriting is so good. i really think too na mas magaling si ely sa tagalog lyrics...personal opinion... eheads is not just ely and i think di nya iniiwasan ang eheads writing style nya or whatever,,,tumatanda na lang siguro si ely kasi di na pwedeng about thesis and panliligaw ang mga songs nya...

maganda ang mga songs sa new album and i saw pala performances in youtube for SALA, monobloc, disconnection notice and sumasabay...ang gaganda...best for me is monobloc, magandang tagalog song ni ely...