hulika

Author Topic: HELP: wireless internet at home. cant setup linksys  (Read 3884 times)

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
HELP: wireless internet at home. cant setup linksys
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:54:09 PM »
i want to share my dsl connection to my laptop via linksys WRT54-G. akala ko plug and play lang to. hindi ko ma bridge yung connection ng modem ko don sa router. i used yung setup wizard. dami tinatanong sa huli, dhcp.. pppoe. basta in short hindi sya gumagana. HELP!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: HELP: wireless internet at home. cant setup linksys
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
configure mo na bridge yun modem first before you connect the router.  kung bridge na siya, then kabit mo na yun router.  then just follow the easy walkthrough/ guide.  had to go through the same headache myself before.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:14:32 PM »
bro pano gagawin yun hehe? dko lam config yun modem. wala ako nung kinabit yung dsl. pldy mydsl nga pala to thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »
Are you using SP2? Wireless and SP1 don't go well together. I've tried...

You will need to set up WAP on your laptop and router, unless, of course you want to provide free wifi within your vicinity. What's your location, anyway?  :evil:
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:54:01 AM »
bro pano gagawin yun hehe? dko lam config yun modem. wala ako nung kinabit yung dsl. pldy mydsl nga pala to thanks

try lookin for the modem manual.  nandun kung pano i-configure yun.  usually may web-based configuration na pupuntahan ka through internet explorer, just type the ip address of the modem to access it.  then just look around the menus til you find a setting to use it in bridge mode.  also, set it at a different ip address than the default ip address of the router para di sila mag-agawan.

i also got mydsl,  mine's the zykel model.  kung pareho tayo ng modem, the default user name would be "admin", the password is "1234" as far as i can remember.  i've setup mine around 4 years ago pa.  never had any problems since then.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:57:06 AM by x_taxi »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:05:09 AM »
... unless, of course you want to provide free wifi within your vicinity. What's your location, anyway?  :evil:

haha.  i provide free wifi outside my house!  i never turn off the router at all.

i read somewhere that the encryption stuff slows down the network access.  i just have the old G wireless router, which is still fast enough for whatever pldt has at the moment.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
i read somewhere that the encryption stuff slows down the network access.

WAP has never been a problem here. Keeps the freeloaders who really slow down a network out. One thing I've noticed... YM and Azureus can easily use up a lot of bandwidth! It's YM that's surprising really... it's capable of crashing our router.

Used to have the zykel modem, but since we started using an Allied Telesyn wifi router which has a built in modem, I had more control over routing and access.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »
actually .. na effed up ko na yun connection haha. wala ako net ngayon. ginalaw ko yung config ng modem. eh dapat pala yung router lang ginagalaw ko. PL-DSL1 yun modem. yung mayy pldt na logo. inaccess ko yung 192.168.1.1 , ginawa kong bridging. tapos nawala yung net. tapos binalik ko sa dating mode na routing. hindi bumalik yun net. hanap ako technician ngyon. sa office ako nag net. ang saya netong wireless na linksys. andali ihagis =] haha

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
Are you using SP2? Wireless and SP1 don't go well together. I've tried...

You will need to set up WAP on your laptop and router, unless, of course you want to provide free wifi within your vicinity. What's your location, anyway?  :evil:

sir kit, you referring to the OS? main desktop has SP2. the laptop has vista.

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
actually .. na effed up ko na yun connection haha. wala ako net ngayon. ginalaw ko yung config ng modem. eh dapat pala yung router lang ginagalaw ko. PL-DSL1 yun modem. yung mayy pldt na logo. inaccess ko yung 192.168.1.1 , ginawa kong bridging. tapos nawala yung net. tapos binalik ko sa dating mode na routing. hindi bumalik yun net. hanap ako technician ngyon. sa office ako nag net. ang saya netong wireless na linksys. andali ihagis =] haha

i assume u know how the cables are connected right? tanong lng.. before u had the router, ung pc ba rekta sa modem? if so.. may connection manager ba pra mka-konek k sa internet? connection manager-ung kailangan mong i click ung connect button, usually under, start>connect to>pldt sumthin..

kung mewon..
1. punta ka network connection, mkikita mu dun ung DSL connection, right click>cancel as default.
2. open IE, type 192.168.1.1, admin on password(unless uv change it.)
3. connection type is PPPOE>type yer username>password on the fields.
4. save, go to status>check if its connected. it should show there the public ip address..

kung wla..
1. open IE, type 192.168.1.1, admin on password
2. connection type is DHCP
4. save, go to status>check if its connected. it should show there the public ip address..

if its not showing the public ip address on the status tab, try power cycling yer modem.. this should work.. madali na magsetup ng wireless after nito..

lemme know..  :-D

Offline bass monster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »
ang saya netong wireless na linksys. andali ihagis =] haha

Zyxel usually also functions as a router... leave it as is  :-D

All you need to do is to access the Linksys UI and [in order]
enable wireless security [change the default WAP name and enable WEP128
change the router IP into 192.168.2.1 [if you're ok about leaving the modem as is]
change the router IP into 192.168.1.254 in case you like to tweak stuff in the modem or router

if you want the router to act just as a WAP [as you already have the Zyxel as a router] just change the Linksys into 192.168.1.X and connect the Zyxel out to any of the 4 Ethernet ports of the Linksys

...or you can call 1800LINKSYS and hopefully end up speaking to one of my former colleagues there  :-)
☠☠☠☠☠☠

Offline hunk0429

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »
hahhaa! galing kang linksys? ako din! hahahaha!

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 12:08:19 PM »
naayos ko na yung modem. binalik ko to routing mode. pppoe pala dapat encap ko. try ko yung suggest mo bass monster.

enable wireless security [change the default WAP name and enable WEP128
change the router IP into 192.168.2.1 [if you're ok about leaving the modem as is]
change the router IP into 192.168.1.254 in case you like to tweak stuff in the modem or router

sir san ko pala gagawin to? under DHCP auto ip internet? and ano un papalit ko sa default wap? thanks

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »
anong itsura ng modem mo? yung maliit na square? kung yun ang modem mo, disabled ang router function nyan, kelangan mo pa ng separate router, if you're using a wireless router, setup mo yung router mo as "bridge" and not gateway, tapos lagyan mo sya ng ip na 192.168.1.1, client ip pool 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254, dhcp enabled, tapos sa wan settings, dun mo ilagay yung account name at password mo sa pldt.  sa wep naman, kung pambahay lang, kahit wag mo na lagyan ng wep key.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
alam ko pupunta ka pa sa website ng linksys

Offline bass monster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 08:53:53 PM »
naayos ko na yung modem. binalik ko to routing mode. pppoe pala dapat encap ko. try ko yung suggest mo bass monster.

sir san ko pala gagawin to? under DHCP auto ip internet? and ano un papalit ko sa default wap? thanks

PPPoE na pala yung modem with routing mode  :-)
hiwalay mo muna yung Linksys, access mo yung UI tapos gawin bigay mo IP nya as 192.168.2.1 and connect from WAN port ng Zyxel to Internet Port ng Linksys

re: DHCP ng Linksys -sa main page yun [check mo www.linksysdata.com/ui hehe]
best security solution yung itago mo ang router mo sa ibang IP address instead of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 tapos pag disabled na ang DHCP capabiliy ng Linksys kabit mo from Zyxel WAN port to any of the 4 regular ports ng Linksys.

default WAP name? kahit ano basta wag default name or family name nyo [even your name -mahirap na] and always use WPA or WPA2....
☠☠☠☠☠☠