hulika

Author Topic: Lee Ritenuwahh In Concert  (Read 4817 times)

Offline renvill2

Lee Ritenuwahh In Concert
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
saw this posted in another website:

Lee Ritenour In Concert
March 10, 8:00 PM
Sunset Pavilion (Small Tent)
Sofitel Philippine Plaza
Front Act - Tillie Moreno

Tickets at Ticketnet, Tiketworld and Hotel Sofitel. PhP 2,500.00.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Lee Ritenuwahh In Concert
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:35:16 AM »
saw this posted in another website:

Lee Ritenour In Concert
March 10, 8:00 PM
Sunset Pavilion (Small Tent)
Sofitel Philippine Plaza
Front Act - Tillie Moreno

Tickets at Ticketnet, Tiketworld and Hotel Sofitel. PhP 2,500.00.
2,625 bro

Offline renvill2

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
2,625 bro

price is too hefty for the average Filipino.  :cry:

Offline cosmic_adobo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:17:39 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:

ang mahal huhuhu

"Music is the weapon of the future" - Fela Kuti

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »
It's not only Lee Ritenour in concert, check out the other bands as well:

MANILA, Philippines - A world-acclaimed guitarist and a group that brought flamenco music to a wide audience are two of nine acts performing at the 3rd Philippine International Jazz Festival—a 16-day celebration set from Feb. 29 to Mar. 15.

Lee Ritenour, nicknamed “Captain Fingers” after his well-received album of the same title, is set to play on Mar. 10 at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza. The guitarist has collaborated with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan and Pink Floyd, Bob James, Harvey Mason Nathan East, among others.

In 1985, Ritenour explored his love of Brazilian music in the album “Harlequin,” which he recorded with Dave Grusin. It won a Grammy Award that year.

Workshops

Chico Bouchiki, founder of the Gypsy Kings, has formed a new group called Chico and the Gypsies who will perform on Mar. 15 also at Sofitel. The Gypsy Kings introduced Rumba Catalana, a pop-oriented version of traditional flamenco music, to an international audience. Chico and the Gypsies are composed of a new generation of guitarists.

The first five days of the jazz fest will include workshops in different universities; a two-day clinic at Rockwell; and a mall tour featuring Bob Aves, Johnny Alegre and other local artists from Mar. 5-8.

Also scheduled to perform are:

Mar. 9, Rockwell Power Plant—Sara Gazarek, 25-year-old jazz vocalist known for her perfect pitch.

Mar. 11, Sofitel— Omar Sosa, Cuban-born, classically trained pianist who has recorded a trilogy of world-jazz albums. Mar. 12, Sofitel—Kurt Elling, singer with an idiosyncratic scat style, demonstrated in his Grammy-nominated album, “This Time It’s Love.”

Mar. 13, Sofitel—Raul Midon, blind singer, songwriter and guitarist whose talents impressed Norah Jones’ producer, Arif Mardin, that he signed him up for a record deal and led to the critically acclaimed album, “State of Mind.”

Mar. 14, Sofitel—Incognito, British band regarded as one of the prime movers of the English acid jazz scene.

Mar.. 2-5, mall tour—Frank Woeste, pianist who has won in
international jazz competitions in France, Switzerland, Monaco, Belgium and Spain.

Mar. 13 and 15, Sofitel—Lorraine Desmarais, pianist, composer, musical director, film scorer and professor who has produced a solo lecture-concert called “The Evolution of Jazz Piano.”

Visit www.pijazzfest.com for details. Call 911-5555, 891-9999 or 551-5555 for tickets.

Happy viewing!  :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:27:34 AM »
Si Kurt Elling, hanep yon!
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
Si Kurt Elling, hanep yon!
Waah, oo nga eh.. Baka maubos pera ko sa pagnood ng mga gig sa March, ang dami.. hehe  :-D

william251082

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »
It's not only Lee Ritenour in concert, check out the other bands as well:

MANILA, Philippines - A world-acclaimed guitarist and a group that brought flamenco music to a wide audience are two of nine acts performing at the 3rd Philippine International Jazz Festival—a 16-day celebration set from Feb. 29 to Mar. 15.

Lee Ritenour, nicknamed “Captain Fingers” after his well-received album of the same title, is set to play on Mar. 10 at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza. The guitarist has collaborated with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan and Pink Floyd, Bob James, Harvey Mason Nathan East, among others.

In 1985, Ritenour explored his love of Brazilian music in the album “Harlequin,” which he recorded with Dave Grusin. It won a Grammy Award that year.

Workshops

Chico Bouchiki, founder of the Gypsy Kings, has formed a new group called Chico and the Gypsies who will perform on Mar. 15 also at Sofitel. The Gypsy Kings introduced Rumba Catalana, a pop-oriented version of traditional flamenco music, to an international audience. Chico and the Gypsies are composed of a new generation of guitarists.

The first five days of the jazz fest will include workshops in different universities; a two-day clinic at Rockwell; and a mall tour featuring Bob Aves, Johnny Alegre and other local artists from Mar. 5-8.

Also scheduled to perform are:

Mar. 9, Rockwell Power Plant—Sara Gazarek, 25-year-old jazz vocalist known for her perfect pitch.

Mar. 11, Sofitel— Omar Sosa, Cuban-born, classically trained pianist who has recorded a trilogy of world-jazz albums. Mar. 12, Sofitel—Kurt Elling, singer with an idiosyncratic scat style, demonstrated in his Grammy-nominated album, “This Time It’s Love.”

Mar. 13, Sofitel—Raul Midon, blind singer, songwriter and guitarist whose talents impressed Norah Jones’ producer, Arif Mardin, that he signed him up for a record deal and led to the critically acclaimed album, “State of Mind.”

Mar. 14, Sofitel—Incognito, British band regarded as one of the prime movers of the English acid jazz scene.

Mar.. 2-5, mall tour—Frank Woeste, pianist who has won in
international jazz competitions in France, Switzerland, Monaco, Belgium and Spain.

Mar. 13 and 15, Sofitel—Lorraine Desmarais, pianist, composer, musical director, film scorer and professor who has produced a solo lecture-concert called “The Evolution of Jazz Piano.”

Visit www.pijazzfest.com for details. Call 911-5555, 891-9999 or 551-5555 for tickets.

Happy viewing!  :-D
WOW!!! :-o :-o :-o siguro pang mayayaman lang 'to! gusto ko ring manood!

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:02:30 AM »
WOW!!! :-o :-o :-o siguro pang mayayaman lang 'to! gusto ko ring manood!

Actually, di naman masyado. Sa isang VIP ticket ng Maroon 5, napanood mo na silang lahat. :)

Lungkot ba? Personally, I think ang baba ng binabayad para sa kanila. Haay. Kaya ba konti lang nagjajazz? Hmm.. Sayang.

william251082

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:34:19 AM »
Actually, di naman masyado. Sa isang VIP ticket ng Maroon 5, napanood mo na silang lahat. :)

Lungkot ba? Personally, I think ang baba ng binabayad para sa kanila. Haay. Kaya ba konti lang nagjajazz? Hmm.. Sayang.
totoo yan pre, wla bang subsidie galing sa government natin ang music/arts? Kailangan talaga suportahan ang mga artists sa Philippines!

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
totoo yan pre, wla bang subsidie galing sa government natin ang music/arts? Kailangan talaga suportahan ang mga artists sa Philippines!

hahaha! asa pa.. eh yung mga nagugutom nga namamatay na, di parin mapakain ng gobyerno.

well, meron siguro sila.. pambili ng paintings at CD's nila.  :-D

Offline polsab78

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
damn. raul midon malupet!!!

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 05:04:27 AM »
Mejo tinamaan ako ng swerte at nilibre ako ng big time kong kaibigan!hehehe

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:01:56 AM »
march 8 sna abutan ko sa SG!
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 05:40:33 AM »
Picss ng March 10 Jazzfest!!!

Mga gamit ni Rit...

8-)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 02:24:48 AM »
The concert was awesome!

I was wondering if it will be a full house because I noticed there were not so many people milling at the entrance of the Softel Tent Area.  Anyway, the place was 75% full by the tome Lee started his set.

We were treated to a great opening set with the debut of Jahista featuring our very own saxophone Balikbayan, Alvin Cornista.  Backed up by friend/pianist Michael Stark, a bassist from France named Olivier (or something like that),  percussionist Inky de Dios, and a computer laptop sequencer, the quartet played a fusion of jazz and electronica - doing refreshingly new treatments to songs like Feel So Good, One Note Samba, and Michael Jackson's Can't Help It.

Next was a return of former Circus vocalist, Tillie Moreno, performing with Henry Katindig on keyboards, and senor Roger Herrera on electric upright bass (Sorry guys, missed the drummer's name).  Missed a couple of tunes at the start while I went to the john and and had a cold one at the makeshift bar outside but was there just in time for Ivan Lins' Love Dance and Route 66.  She ended a set with her famous song in the Eighties - Umagang Kay Ganda

After a brief break, it was time for the main show.  Lee opened with Night Rhythms, playing that different looking Yamaha acoustic guitar - the one that has an outline of a guitar only - the sound was good, a little pointed at the mid though, but good sounding (you know how hard it is to amplify a nylon). 

The band was amazing.  On bass was Melvin Davis, session bassman and Lee's musical director in the Wes-bound album.  On drums, pumping 100% all throughout the evening was Yellow Jackets first drummer - Will Kennedy.  What made the evening more exciting was the presence of Ms. Patrice Rushen on keyboards, who showed her mastery of jazz, blues, latin and world music inspired playing not usually heard in her funkier pop albums.

They did a latin inspired number next, starting with a cool drum solo by Will Kennedy.  Sorry, I forgot the title of the song but it was very Brazilian in flavor, with Rushen doing fine keyboard percussion.  They also did a song from Wesbound, with Davis now showing his funk and jazz skills on the bass.

I distinctly remember "Agua de Beber" - one of my favorites from the Twist of Jobim album.  But it was a much longer version with Lee giving each member a chance to show off their individual skills.

A surprise number was when Patrice took to centerstage and did one of her big hits worldwide, Forget Me Nots.  I remember that Lee had an "Africano" inspired version of the song in his latest album and Patrice did the only vocal number of the concert that sent all the ladies into a dancing frenzy. 

They ended the show with a superlong version of RIO Funk in Lee's signature Red Gibson which left the crowd shouting for more.  Sorry, no encores, but they obliged to a brief autograph signing and picture taking outside.  Seen in the area were guitar heroes Johnny Alegre of Affinity, Joey Puyat and Johnny Besa of The Blue Rats, Ariel Policarpio of Color It Red, Koyang Avenir who played a spot number with Tillie, Rikki Gonzales of Balooze, Anton Periquet of Overdrive,Dr Ted of the House Rockers,Sam Avila,  Eileen Sison and Guarana; Rookie Garcia, Mari Cancio and and Raul Banzon of Working Stiff; Ping - formerly of Dimsum, Louie Ocampo, Nina, Jinky of Freestyle, Kat of SinosiKat, and Kawayan Strat who took some pictures of the event.  Yung iba po kasing magagaling di ko na kilala.

Up to now, I am still high over the concert - while typing this, I am still listening to The Sauce from the GRP All Stars live album.

Pero parang ayoko na uling tumugtog.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
The concert was awesome!

I was wondering if it will be a full house because I noticed there were not so many people milling at the entrance of the Softel Tent Area.  Anyway, the place was 75% full by the tome Lee started his set.

We were treated to a great opening set with the debut of Jahista featuring our very own saxophone Balikbayan, Alvin Cornista.  Backed up by friend/pianist Michael Stark, a bassist from France named Olivier (or something like that),  percussionist Inky de Dios, and a computer laptop sequencer, the quartet played a fusion of jazz and electronica - doing refreshingly new treatments to songs like Feel So Good, One Note Samba, and Michael Jackson's Can't Help It.

Next was a return of former Circus vocalist, Tillie Moreno, performing with Henry Katindig on keyboards, and senor Roger Herrera on electric upright bass (Sorry guys, missed the drummer's name).  Missed a couple of tunes at the start while I went to the john and and had a cold one at the makeshift bar outside but was there just in time for Ivan Lins' Love Dance and Route 66.  She ended a set with her famous song in the Eighties - Umagang Kay Ganda

After a brief break, it was time for the main show.  Lee opened with Night Rhythms, playing that different looking Yamaha acoustic guitar - the one that has an outline of a guitar only - the sound was good, a little pointed at the mid though, but good sounding (you know how hard it is to amplify a nylon). 

The band was amazing.  On bass was Melvin Davis, session bassman and Lee's musical director in the Wes-bound album.  On drums, pumping 100% all throughout the evening was Yellow Jackets first drummer - Will Kennedy.  What made the evening more exciting was the presence of Ms. Patrice Rushen on keyboards, who showed her mastery of jazz, blues, latin and world music inspired playing not usually heard in her funkier pop albums.

They did a latin inspired number next, starting with a cool drum solo by Will Kennedy.  Sorry, I forgot the title of the song but it was very Brazilian in flavor, with Rushen doing fine keyboard percussion.  They also did a song from Wesbound, with Davis now showing his funk and jazz skills on the bass.

I distinctly remember "Agua de Beber" - one of my favorites from the Twist of Jobim album.  But it was a much longer version with Lee giving each member a chance to show off their individual skills.

A surprise number was when Patrice took to centerstage and did one of her big hits worldwide, Forget Me Nots.  I remember that Lee had an "Africano" inspired version of the song in his latest album and Patrice did the only vocal number of the concert that sent all the ladies into a dancing frenzy. 

They ended the show with a superlong version of RIO Funk in Lee's signature Red Gibson which left the crowd shouting for more.  Sorry, no encores, but they obliged to a brief autograph signing and picture taking outside.  Seen in the area were guitar heroes Johnny Alegre of Affinity, Joey Puyat and Johnny Besa of The Blue Rats, Ariel Policarpio of Color It Red, Koyang Avenir who played a spot number with Tillie, Rikki Gonzales of Balooze, Anton Periquet of Overdrive,Dr Ted of the House Rockers,Sam Avila,  Eileen Sison and Guarana; Rookie Garcia, Mari Cancio and and Raul Banzon of Working Stiff; Ping - formerly of Dimsum, Louie Ocampo, Nina, Jinky of Freestyle, Kat of SinosiKat, and Kawayan Strat who took some pictures of the event.  Yung iba po kasing magagaling di ko na kilala.

Up to now, I am still high over the concert - while typing this, I am still listening to The Sauce from the GRP All Stars live album.

Pero parang ayoko na uling tumugtog.
Mismo yung show! Money well spent! Sayang,i didn't get to hang with you guys,nagmamadali kasi kasama ko. I was expecting for the raunchier lineup of songs from the captain. I was hpoing for Captain Fingers though. :-(

BTW the Yamaha nylon he was sporting is the Yamaha Silent Guitar.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 02:49:44 AM »
Same thing here - I wasn't banking on any songs with vocals na. They tried Is It You upon request of the organizers - they rehearsed it na with the quartet supported by a sequencer/laptop (parang Jahista) playing flugel, flute and string parts but Mel Davis wasn't up to it on vocals. Actually, it sounded horrible.

Nagulat lang ako walang ibang songs from the earlier albums. Tingin ko lang rin, takot silang mag Captain Fingers.  Remember the bagsakan midway?

Would have loved to meet you in person.  Next time, sir.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »
Same thing here - I wasn't banking on any songs with vocals na. They tried Is It You upon request of the organizers - they rehearsed it na with the quartet supported by a sequencer/laptop (parang Jahista) playing flugel, flute and string parts but Mel Davis wasn't up to it on vocals. Actually, it sounded horrible.

Nagulat lang ako walang ibang songs from the earlier albums. Tingin ko lang rin, takot silang mag Captain Fingers.  Remember the bagsakan midway?

Would have loved to meet you in person.  Next time, sir.
Kaya nga they omitted the intro(bagsakan) of Capt Fingers sa Overtime DVD,para "safe".hehehe  I've been in the rut in deciphering that tune,hanggang bagsakan lang ako sa gitna. :-( Got the intro though.(hanggang dun lang) :-D

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
Do they allow cameras? I'm thinking of bringing mine tonight for Incognito.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »
Magdala ka ng cam,pwede yun basta wala lang flash. :wink:

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 05:14:57 PM »

Yes, bring your gear.  Daming kumukuha ng pix during Ritenour. Enjoy your evening.

Sayang di tayo magkikita for Incognito.  The Bacolod group and some of the Stiffs will be there tonight.  Pass na muna ako kasi 'la kong pera e.

Kita tayo sa Toto?

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
Yes, I saw Mari and your sax player. Marvin Q was also there. Superb show, great musicians, great performance. Energy was very high. P2,500 is definitely worth the show, added bonus pa Alvin Cornista and Tots Tolentino.

Yes, I'll be in Toto's concert (my 3rd time to see them). I want to see Greg Philinganes (is my spelling correct?).
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione