hulika

Author Topic: What makes a boutique pedal,boutique?Status symbol?Plus factor ba,o hype lang?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Thanks for the idea sir blueberri!

Oonga,what makes a boutique pedal,boutique?

Is it the looks,the sound,the name,the artist,the parts,the hefty price tag,the long wait list and low volume of production and most of all because it is hand made?

Come to think of it...Why are we hooked on this kind of guitar fetish? :|
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:38:23 AM by kawayan_strat »

Offline markflo

Re: What makes a boutique pedal,boutique?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:54:58 AM »
I guess the term would be to describe the complete opposite of "mass produced". Boutique implies that more time and care was spent and done towards building it. It's different from high end, though it could cost as much or more. It's different from diy even if they look alike sometimes.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:12:29 AM »
Maybe because it's handmade? Plus the fact that extra time and care was given in the production of a single pedal? :)

Kaya nga honestly, mejo nalilito ako sayo eh. You seem to have that "anti-boutique" vibe goin' yet here you are making "boutique" pedals (no offense meant). :-D
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:27:30 AM »
Maybe because it's handmade? Plus the fact that extra time and care was given in the production of a single pedal? :)

Kaya nga honestly, mejo nalilito ako sayo eh. You seem to have that "anti-boutique" vibe goin' yet here you are making "boutique" pedals (no offense meant). :-D
Yan ba pagkaka-intindi mo? Well i'm not against it. i even bought one before. Pero what's all the hype about these expensive pedals,na minsan suntok sa buwan ang pag bili natin nito? Some boutiques sound good and some sounds like crap.

Did i say that i was making "boutique" pedals? I did not brand my pedals "boutique". That's why i use the term DIY,because that's what i did. While some others call their DIYs "boutique" ,but in fact they just copied their circuit from a famous DIY website and called it boutique.

I still consider myself a DIYer. And if the budget permits i will still buy a boutique pedal.

Kaya balik tayo sa topic. Palitan ko na yung thread title para mas malinaw.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Less production means a distinct sound that cannot be bought over the counter.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
The knowledge and "Ear" of the designer for a specific application and most of the time it sounds better than Boss, Ibanez, DOD, MXR, Behringer etc.  So its not limited DIY.  If you do DIY, you just reproduce pedal designs but you are not boutique.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
The knowledge and "Ear" of the designer for a specific application and most of the time it sounds better than Boss, Ibanez, DOD, MXR, Behringer etc.  So its not limited DIY.  If you do DIY, you just reproduce pedal designs but you are not boutique.

what if the DIY'er has the knowledge and the "ear"? Fulltone started as a DIY'er...if i am not mistaken, the guy from MI Audio was also a DIY'er...

i believe theres nothing "new" anymore in this day and age with regards to guitar pedals...what makes these pedals boutique are the quality of materials he/she prefers to use, time spent experimenting, mixing and blending parts to find out if it will work or not...

their end products became boutique dahil people started to notice that the pedals actually sounded good and these people started buying them...

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
well, on another angle, other than the sound, quality components, sometimes good marketing can bring up the status of the pedal... I'm sure it's nothing new to everyone cuz it's one thing that's happening all over and for different products.

I knew nothing bout boutique pedals before and I simply took that route cuz I wanted to have different pedals from the more common/mass produced ones. I later realized that it was worth the money and the sound was something else.

I guess we can also look at it at a "status symbol" point of view. like sometimes you buy an expensive, branded item.. you later find out that it's expensive because it lasts longer and the quality is beyond the standard.

It's actually a touchy subject if you want to tackle the status symbol idea. Vhunter put it nicely in another thread but I've forgotten how he said it exactly. Parang kanya kanya lang yan. sometimes people just buy because they can afford it and we can't fault them for that.

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Bro, I believe tha being a boutique pedal owner can be attributed to various reasons.

As for me, I really love the sound of the boutique pedals I have (e.g. Carl Martin Chorus and Mesa Boogie Vtwin). The functions are amazing and the sound is phenomenal. However, price does take its place in the pot.

As for being a status symbol? By all means this is possible. But it doesn't mean that it applies to everyone. I bought my Mesa because I wanted to get a close to John Petrucci as possible without buying a rack. Hehe.

However, as someone mentioned there are indeed some boutique pedals that don't make the cut. There are said intances of unconsistencies with boutique pedals as well, maybe because they are handmade. Yes, they can sound really good but sometimes these mass produced pedals are more consistent.

The bottom line is, whatever the reason of purchasing or owning a boutique pedal is, I guess they're after for something more than a mass produced pedal.

:)

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
Boutique to me implies "small shop" as opposed to the "big shops" like Boss, Ibanez, etc. Or if we're talking guitars, a Suhr or an Tyler would be boutique, and a Fender Custom Shop guitar not. In essence, you can apply the term "boutique" to pedals made in a "small shop," whether by an individual or a small team of builders.

"Boutique" might imply that much time and care was put into creating the product, from concept to pcb layout to component choice to box art. However, it doesn't always imply that the circuitry is original. In many cases, the circuitry is just a modified variation of another well known circuit. Take Landgraff's Dynamic Overdrive for instance, it is pretty much a modded clone of the TS808/9 in a fancy box. If you look at the guts, however, you can't help but think "DIY".

If you think about it, a number of boutique builders are making the pedals themselves, which in a way is DIY. Take Lovepedal for instance, Sean makes the Eternity pedals himself, which technically makes the pedal a DIY. The only difference is, he doesn't really make it for himself but instead, for a buyer.

Something else that "boutique" does not always imply is quality, be it build quality, circuit design, etc. I'll use Landgraff again as an example, if you've ever seen the guts of the LOD, as I have said, very DIY looking. In fact, some DIY pedals have layouts and wiring that are much better quality than the LOD. Another example is the Xotic BB Preamp. It is a great sounding box but it is missing one very simple feature: input RF filtering (then again, a great number of efx circuits are also bereft of this often overlooked feature). In spite of these seemingly insignificant shortcomings, both pedals are still categorized by some as "boutique."

One observation I've had suggests that it is the buyer (or the market) that affixes the term to a product. In my case, some of the individuals that I had built pedals for were the ones who labeled my creation as boutique. I never called my work as such.

Offline rabidtongue

para sa kin:

boutique = not mass produced, hand-made, caters to certain people..usually based on earlier/vintage mass produced pedal with quality components..

status symbol + hype ang sa tingin kong malaking contributors kung bakit matunog sa atin ang boutique pedals...

pero more often than not, yung mga artist naman ay nagsimula din sa mga mass produced pedals pos pinapa-modify na lang nila to their taste which becomes "boutique" or custom...
Don\'t make promises just guarantees.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »

Saying you're a "bowteek" builder implies a certain status (and electronics skill, and "ear" as Alex puts so well). Copying something 1:1, in my book, does not impart that status and does not rank you among the "big dogs". But that's okay of course, because everyone, even the big dogs, start from somewhere.

If one designs from scratch, or modifies an existing design (even by trial and error) significantly as to change the basic "shape" of the thing you've departed from, perhaps one would qualify as a real "boutiqee". I've been doing lots of research in the past weeks. It appears even Z V e  x just took circuit snippets from everywhere (notably textbook theremins and Jack Orman's Mosfet booster) and put them together. Still respectable. At least he did his homework, big time.

2c. Perhaps worthless :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Blueberri

@kawayan strat, kaya pala familiar yung tanong hehe. thanks for starting this thread...para malinawan ako sa bowteek-bowteek na to...

So bowteek pedals are basically low volume production, hand made pedals. backed up by tons of hype (well, some of them. hehehe).

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
I guess the term would be to describe the complete opposite of "mass produced". Boutique implies that more time and care was spent and done towards building it. It's different from high end, though it could cost as much or more. It's different from diy even if they look alike sometimes.

Bullseye na sa post pa lang ni Mark. Pero elaborate ko lang: because more time and care was spent on producing it, it follows na mas mahirap siya iproduce at mas scarce siya (ergo, not mass produced). 

Whatever else boutique implies to people are just exactly that, meanings that people have ascribed to the term.  Mga personal definition na yun, and juding from the discussion, it seems pregnant w/ underlying connotations na. 

Personally, kahit based on a simple circuit, basta may konting difference intended to enhance, improve, or innovate, boutique na yun (San ba sila nag-umpisa? Karamihan naman based on common designs).  So anytime magpagawa ka ng pedal with your own tonal and technical specs, boutique yun -- kahit sa ibang industry that's what many real boutique shops do anyway. 

In fact, sa amp world, mas matindi: kahit same exact circuit ng vintage amps, basta handmade, one at a time, accdg to orig specs (eg, PTP), boutique yun!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 01:12:34 PM by deltaslim »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
I think most of what have been posted are really descriptions of what "boutique" is, and not so much a definition of the term as to what makes "boutique" ah eh boutique.

"Boutique", as commonly used in industry, refers to businesses that offer tailored products and services to a niche market.  In my experience:

- Boutique consulting firms are those that specialize in selected industries, functional areas, or locations
- Boutique banks are those that focus on selected client segments (often measured by wealth/assets), financial investments, or financial undertakings
- Boutique" retail stores are those that sell limited designs to a specific demographic profile

As a result of this decision, these businesses are characterized by:
- More involved management and product/service development.
- Low production/service volume as a result of focusing on a smaller customer segment.
- Higher prices and maybe even margins in order to cover for expenses.
- Lots of hype because clients/buyers tend to gush over them and feel "special".

The industry definition of "boutique" is consistent if I look at the so-called "boutique" guitar, amp, or pedal market.  Boutique builders are not trying to create a product that's for everyone.  These builders build what they want, and if you like it then great, if not, they couldn't care less.  I believe that boutique builders are better at what they choose to focus on.

BTW, I think the argument between DIY and boutique is silly.  DIY is a term coined to mean making a homegrown solution to a problem.  If you make a business out of it and decide to do what I defined above, then you become a boutique builder.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Boutique to me implies "small shop" as opposed to the "big shops" like Boss, Ibanez, etc. Or if we're talking guitars, a Suhr or an Tyler would be boutique, and a Fender Custom Shop guitar not. In essence, you can apply the term "boutique" to pedals made in a "small shop," whether by an individual or a small team of builders.

"Boutique" might imply that much time and care was put into creating the product, from concept to pcb layout to component choice to box art. However, it doesn't always imply that the circuitry is original. In many cases, the circuitry is just a modified variation of another well known circuit. Take Landgraff's Dynamic Overdrive for instance, it is pretty much a modded clone of the TS808/9 in a fancy box. If you look at the guts, however, you can't help but think "DIY".

If you think about it, a number of boutique builders are making the pedals themselves, which in a way is DIY. Take Lovepedal for instance, Sean makes the Eternity pedals himself, which technically makes the pedal a DIY. The only difference is, he doesn't really make it for himself but instead, for a buyer.

Something else that "boutique" does not always imply is quality, be it build quality, circuit design, etc. I'll use Landgraff again as an example, if you've ever seen the guts of the LOD, as I have said, very DIY looking. In fact, some DIY pedals have layouts and wiring that are much better quality than the LOD. Another example is the Xotic BB Preamp. It is a great sounding box but it is missing one very simple feature: input RF filtering (then again, a great number of efx circuits are also bereft of this often overlooked feature). In spite of these seemingly insignificant shortcomings, both pedals are still categorized by some as "boutique."

One observation I've had suggests that it is the buyer (or the market) that affixes the term to a product. In my case, some of the individuals that I had built pedals for were the ones who labeled my creation as boutique. I never called my work as such.

This is what i'm trying to talk about. Very well said!

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
sir kawayan na unahan mo ako sa pag post ng topic ah! :) hehe.. tnx for posting the thread po.. :) oo nga po! 

can the audience or listener say "hey his using a botique pedal!" without looking at his board.. :)

sir kawayan sorry makiki "ride on" sa thread mo..

follow up question ko lang mga sir...

is there a such thing as "poor mans" botique pedal? i mean not that in equal value pero can make the job na rin..

IM NO EXPERT pero eto po yung sinasabi ko
eg.

bowteek                 poor man's bowteek
zvex fuzz factory =   zoom ultra fuzz
Xotic rc booster   =   Dod bifet preamp

opinion lang po and just asking lang po.. :)

"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Compare a boss drivezone with a foxrox ZIM and tell me if its hype or not.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »
Yan ba pagkaka-intindi mo? Well i'm not against it. i even bought one before. Pero what's all the hype about these expensive pedals,na minsan suntok sa buwan ang pag bili natin nito? Some boutiques sound good and some sounds like crap.

Did i say that i was making "boutique" pedals? I did not brand my pedals "boutique". That's why i use the term DIY,because that's what i did. While some others call their DIYs "boutique" ,but in fact they just copied their circuit from a famous DIY website and called it boutique.

I still consider myself a DIYer. And if the budget permits i will still buy a boutique pedal.

Kaya balik tayo sa topic. Palitan ko na yung thread title para mas malinaw.

Point taken. But aren't all boutique pedal builders considered DIYers as well? Didn't they at one point copy the original circuit of say, the famous Tubscreamer? Pati amp builders don't they copy the marshall circuit all the time?
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
I went boutique because I liked what I heard from these products more than from many mass produced ones. I still use a tubescreamer because it works better for me personally than some of its boutique "counterparts" if you'd like. Simple as that. I dunno if some people are "boutique for the sake of being boutique" kinds of people but I think that a lot of musicians like boutique because it's generally "better" (though that blanket statement may not be totally accurate.) Especially for working musicians, I'd like to believe they'd only buy effects on a "need the effect for a sound" basis.  :-D

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
Boutique pedals, as a lot have pointed out, are pedals which were buit small scale, with extra care and attention given during the build process. This could mean, hand picked parts, or custom paint works. As ubersam pointed out, the circuits need not to be original.

Take a mass produced Ibanez Tube screamer, break it down on schematic, and its diagram would look simillar, if not identical to the schematics of a number of  high end "boutique" pedals, say a fulltone fulldrive. (hate to break it to you folks)

Or the Budda Wah, which is basically a modded crybaby, which still has the original Dunlop board. :lol:

What makes the pedal bouique, is the special care and attention that was given to it, during its building process.

My own take on this... :-D
Spread the Sound of the South!!!
facebook.com/christerisulat
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
Point taken. But aren't all boutique pedal builders considered DIYers as well? Didn't they at one point copy the original circuit of say, the famous Tubscreamer? Pati amp builders don't they copy the marshall circuit all the time?
Actually a lot of boutique ODs are based on the TS circuit. And also a lot of boutique DS circuits are based on that amp.

Yes,they are DIYers at the beginning. Somehow they have to start at one point.

I went boutique because I liked what I heard from these products more than from many mass produced ones. I still use a tubescreamer because it works better for me personally than some of its boutique "counterparts" if you'd like. Simple as that. I dunno if some people are "boutique for the sake of being boutique" kinds of people but I think that a lot of musicians like boutique because it's generally "better" (though that blanket statement may not be totally accurate.) Especially for working musicians, I'd like to believe they'd only buy effects on a "need the effect for a sound" basis.  :-D
Jan ka nagkakamali bro. I myself was a FULL TIME working musician for a long period of time. For some "musikeros" who has no funds for buying effects,they simply settle for what's cheap and useable. 
But really,us working musicians want good tone too.  Right now, I'm a part time working musician,and i'm also concerned with my sound on stage in a band context.  Boutique or not basta maganda tunog.ok na yun1

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:40:30 PM »

"Boutique or not basta maganda tunog.ok na yun!"

MISMO.

Offline markflo

Stock ds-1 MIJ kills em all. IMO.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Stock ds-1 MIJ kills em all. IMO.
Patay tayo jan,thread locked! :lol: