hulika

Author Topic: Steve Lukather About Toto--"I think we all need a break"  (Read 582 times)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steve Lukather About Toto--"I think we all need a break"
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:03:54 AM »
http://www.alloutguitar.com/interview/artists_and_bands/steve_lukather_interview_ever_changing_times?page=0%2C1

Tales of Toto
AOG: So, Steve - just what have you been up to in 2007?!

SL: Ha, ha... What did I get up to?! Loads Man...well, I started 2007 laying down the basic tracks for my new record 'Ever Changing Times', and then I went on the road with Toto on and off throughout the year. And, when I was off I'd go back to working on the record..and then Id' go back out with Toto...come back and work on the record!

I finished the album in about July, and spent most of the rest of the year..back on the road with Toto! I had a baby on September 19th..and then went back on the road! It's been like a 2 and a half year tour man - but it's finally gonna be done first week in April.

AOG: The last couple of years have seen Toto back on top... and the tour seems never ending!

SL:  Well...that's kinda ironic because the end is in sight! Yeah, then we're going to put it up on the shelf - after 30 years I kinda need a break... Then I'm going to go out and tour my solo stuff and keep my head out of trouble for a while. I mean, in Toto I'm the only guy that's been there right from the very first rehearsal till now: some of the others have a different view on how we want things to go - and I think we all need a break. I'm not saying that we'll never do it again, but I don't see it in the foreseeable future.

AOG: Really? That's going to disappoint a load of people out there...'Falling In Between' seems to have been about the most successful album since the 80's...

SL:  Yeah, it's been great - an incredible run: I mean we wouldn't still be out there doing it after 2 and a half years if it hadn't been that big. But.. my brother Mike Porcaro, he's down, he's got some physical problems - we don't know what the hell's going on with him really...but it's real serious. So, in a way it's sort of been a bitter sweet joy by going out with Leland Sklar, Abe Laboriel and the rest - but it's so disheartening to look around you and see you keep losing guys, you know?

And so I'm just trying to...it's been a great run man, and now we 're just going to have to put in up on the shelf for a while and see what happens.

AOG:  I imagine you approached the solo album a little differently to the normal Toto stuff?

SL:  Well, first of all I wrote all the music: so it's always gonna be different as it's not a group thing, in the end it's all pretty much down to me. My songwriting partner, Randy Goodrum - who I've worked with on different stuff a long time, and also executive produced the album - well, he brought the record deal to me. He said "It's time for you to do a real rock'n'roll record: songs, vocals - c'mon: let's go do it!" It was like "You've been needing to do it for over 10 years!"