hulika

Author Topic: Mixer. Whats the use?  (Read 2257 times)

LouieAzcona

Mixer. Whats the use?
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:37:08 AM »
kung meron kang 10 input / 10 output interface (na may sariling control panels)
kung meron kang stand-alone phantom powers
AT kung sa computer ka naman magmimix...

para san pa ang MIXER sa recording? meron pa nga bang silbi?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Mixer. Whats the use?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 07:10:12 AM »
kung meron kang 10 input / 10 output interface (na may sariling control panels)
kung meron kang stand-alone phantom powers
AT kung sa computer ka naman magmimix...

para san pa ang MIXER sa recording? meron pa nga bang silbi?

you don't really need it unless you are, say, using the mixer as a dedicated "bus" for your drum mics before sending the master sub on the board to the audio interface L/R input.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

LouieAzcona

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
ano po ba ang purpose ng pag-dedicate ng bus sa mga drum mics?
para ba pagpasok sa interface, naka-"EQ" na ang drums?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:29:50 AM »
In some cases, you can use a mixer as a kind of routing matrix especially if your mixer has bus outputs. The mixer can serve as a sort of patchbay front end for your interface, especially if you have more instrument channels than you have soundcard inputs.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
and of course, you can use a mixer as a summing medium.  :-D

LouieAzcona

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:14:06 PM »
and of course, you can use a mixer as a summing medium.  :-D

whats that?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:16:24 PM »
Skunk, do the honors.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline rocketboy

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »
Mixers can be a cheaper set of mic preamps...cheaper than most preamp racks from focusrite,presonus,etc. 'gives you other functions as well...

In my case, i use the mixer as the front/back end of my small setup.  I use the Soundcraft Compact4 with the E-mu 1212m....
This mixer is my dual mic pre with phantom power (the e-mu has none)...
dual headphone amp (turns to 4 with splitters)...
Volume control (I prefer knobs/faders to mouse-clicks)...
Saves me from bringng a lot when recording different places...
Saves power consumption...
It's all there in one box!

If i had the means..i'd still mix through a large mixing console with moto-faders...it's more "ears" than "eyes".
Anybody selling their old 02r or 01v for dirt cheap? hehehehe

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:16:36 AM »
You can use mixers to look cool even if you mix completely in the PC na.

:evil:

BU HA HA HA HA

BU HA HA HA HA

:evil:

Offline jcv

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:50:05 AM »
hmmm.. One case that I could think of is if you want to use an analogue fx for multiple inputs.. Like for example if you want to use an analogue flanger for your bass drum and snare.

Made me think.. An interface with 10 ins and outs and has its own control panels.
Should this be classified as a mixer/digital mixer?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:52:45 AM by jcv »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »
Skunk, do the honors.

With pleasure!

Mixers have been in existence all along as a summing medium, where all the signals from the individual channels are "mixed" into a master bus.  All throughout history, mixers have gone larger and larger to accommodate more inputs (both line and mic), with more aux sends and subgroups, fx loops, patchbays, blah blah, to have more flexibility in mixing whether in a live or studio context.

But the rise of ITB mixing has somewhat lessened the popularity of mixing in the console.  Arguably, using and abusing plugins can rival a true mixing console, but then again, some people prefer using a Neve, SSL, Amek or whatnot because of their household name reputation.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

Made me think.. An interface with 10 ins and outs and has its own control panels.

opo

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »

Yes and no. While you can probably mix in most soundcard mixer control panels, they are often meant for input and output level control, soundcard configuration and very little else. A mixer should not only allow volume adjustments, but also EQ and effects/routing. Only a handful of soundcards have DSP that allow this, and more often, their mixer control panels do not allow automation of any kind. By that definition, I couldn't call most soundcard control panels as digital mixers.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Yes and no. While you can probably mix in most soundcard mixer control panels, they are often meant for input and output level control, soundcard configuration and very little else. A mixer should not only allow volume adjustments, but also EQ and effects/routing. Only a handful of soundcards have DSP that allow this, and more often, their mixer control panels do not allow automation of any kind. By that definition, I couldn't call most soundcard control panels as digital mixers.

no offense sir Kit, curious lang.

if "having an EQ" is a requirement for defining a mixer, why does behringer call this a mixer?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
no offense sir Kit, curious lang.

if "having an EQ" is a requirement for defining a mixer, why does behringer call this a mixer?

No offense taken.

By definition, a mixer is a device that allows you to mix or combine signals together, so the intent of that simple Behringer mixer follows that definition. Sure any device that combines several sounds together can be called a mixer, but it is severely limited in it's functionality. Audio mixers, however, have added into their signal paths that ability to shape the tone of the signals they are mixing, giving added flexibility to the overall mix. If we didn't have tone controls, routing options and fx sends in mixers, music today would sound a lot different. That's why I said yes and no in my previous post.