hulika

Author Topic: Question about Speakers!  (Read 852 times)

Offline treb 821

Question about Speakers!
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
What is the difference between passive, active, full range speakers?

I am planning to put up a band rehersal studio and really lost in my PA System set up. I was initially planning to buy a yamaha stagepass but I am currently considering to buy Laney speakers. If I buy passive speakers, I will need a powered mixer and vice-versa, right?

Where does the full range speaker come in, can it be used with just a mixing console or does it require a powered mixer as well?

Would really appreciate your help on the matter guys, thanks!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Question about Speakers!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
Passives require an amplifier, whether it be in the form of a powered mixer or a separate amplifier. Personally, I'd rather use a separate amp since powered mixers can be quite expensive for a particular output wattage. Worse, if the powered mixer breaks down, you lose 2 components in your system... it's usually much easier to replace a separate power amp.

Active monitors have amplifiers built in so you don't have to worry about matching amps to speakers. Some prefer these because you don't have to route bulky speaker wires to passive monitors. The downside is that actives tend to be more expensive than passives.

Full range means that a speaker can replicate all audio frequencies. Because of physics, bass frequencies are usually handled well by woofers and high frequencies by tweeters. A full range cabinet usually contains 2, 3, or more combinations of woofers, mid-range and tweeter drivers.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline treb 821

Re: Question about Speakers!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
Thanks so much Sir KitC for enlightening me on the matter, I guess it is quite safer to use just a simple mixing console with a pair of active speakers.  At the moment I am considering the following options  for my PA System:

1. Carlsbro Minimix8 Mixer and a pair of Carlsbro Gamma 8/150 Active Speakers
or
2. Carlsbro Minimix8 Mixer and a pair of Laney CX-12 Active Speakers
or
3. Yamaha Stagepass 300

Haven't figured out the microphones yet, I would appreciate any suggestionson this. The band rehearsal studio to be constructed is about 18 sqr. mtrs., planning to purchase the following instrument amps:

1. Laney LX-65 R Combo Guitar Amps (2 units)
2. Laney RB3 Bass Amp

Will this ba a compatible and good enough set-up? As for the instuments, medyo I figured it out already! I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions on this matter.

Thanks a lot guys!