hulika

Author Topic: How important are shockmounts?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
How important are shockmounts?
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:22:05 AM »
I bought a 2nd hand audio technica mic which unfortunately didn't come with its shockmount? is it really important for me to fully use the mic for worry free recordings or can i use it as it is? Pardon the noob question but what is it necessarily for?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How important are shockmounts?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:26:38 AM »
if you want your recording to be quiet and not pickup foot steps and vibrations from people walking around then a shockmount would be necessary. i never record without a shockmount just to be safe. a shockmount basically suspends your mic on a cradle, which in turn, suspended by rubber bands or an elastic cord webbing to isolate it from vibrations picked up by your mic stand.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:42:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply, sir. really appreciate it.

It's quite unfortunate that the shockmount for my model isn't available locally. guess I'd have to look online  :|

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:09:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply, sir. really appreciate it.

It's quite unfortunate that the shockmount for my model isn't available locally. guess I'd have to look online  :|

your shockmounts don't need to be specifically made for your mic unless you have a special type of mic that is shapped funny like the BLUE mics or maybe some of the heavier SE mics like the Gemini II. i would get specific mounts for those because they need to be screwed into the mount. if i remember correctly, AT mics are pretty compact so you should be able to go for a universal shockmount from sabrasom. I use a few of these mic mounts for a variety of mic shapes from Shure Sm81s and Earthworks QTCs to a pair of AKG C414s for stereo miking. They are pretty affordable and much cheaper than brand name mounts. If the elastic cord wears out, you can easily replace them with stuff that your local clothing store might have have.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
It's quite unfortunate that the shockmount for my model isn't available locally.

Have you tried asking The Music Source? They carry Audio Technica brands, including the AT2020.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »

Have you tried asking Audiophile? There's a clearance sale going on, including Audio-Technica products.

:wink:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
Sir Kit,

yes I asked Mario but he never replied. maybe wala sya nung for my model.

Tarkuz,

yes I've gone and asked from Audiophile a couple of times already but they simply said they don't have it.

Anyway, baka may makatulong din hehehe 4033a yung model ko kse. I'll try to check online na din  :-D

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
yes I've gone and asked from Audiophile a couple of times already but they simply said they don't have it.

AT-8441 shockmount available at Audiophile Paco tel. 588-0917, 588-0921.

:wink:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 11:21:38 PM »
basta audiophile products, ask sir tarkuz hehe yung mga walang item biglang nagkakaroon pag sa kanya ka nag inquire  :-D before may hinahanap ako sa audiophile tumatawag ako dun sa cubao at sa pioneer branch sinasabi nung mga nakakausap ko sa phone wala pero nung tanungin ko si sir tarkuz meron daw at pumunta ako dun sa cubao branch and sabi ni sir tarkuz sabihin ko lang name niya ayun nagkaroon na nga   :evil:

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 07:40:43 AM »
basta audiophile products, ask sir tarkuz hehe yung mga walang item biglang nagkakaroon pag sa kanya ka nag inquire  :-D before may hinahanap ako sa audiophile tumatawag ako dun sa cubao at sa pioneer branch sinasabi nung mga nakakausap ko sa phone wala pero nung tanungin ko si sir tarkuz meron daw at pumunta ako dun sa cubao branch and sabi ni sir tarkuz sabihin ko lang name niya ayun nagkaroon na nga   :evil:

salamat bro. pm ko nalang din. sana kasya sa 4033a

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:57:37 PM »
salamat bro. pm ko nalang din. sana kasya sa 4033a

kasya yan sa 4033a.

:-)