hulika

Author Topic: FX loop mod for AD50VT-XL  (Read 1709 times)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
FX loop mod for AD50VT-XL
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »
I had originally intended to sell my AD50VT-XL for the 100-watt version (which has an FX loop).  But after two weeks on a selling thread, no one was buying, so i decided to take matters into my own hands:

The mod was done by Raul Q, a straightforward loop insert just before the master volume (ala Fender).  The hardest part was the drilling on the chassis (for the jacks) and finding the exact place on the PCB to cut and attach the shielded cable.

Unlike some US-based mods, this loop doesn't sacrifice the stereo headphone outs, and allows the effects loop wet signal to be heard at the recording out.  Just remember: this is a line level loop, so instrument level effects might cause a volume drop.  Plus, this mod WILL definitely void your warranty, so wait a bit if your amp is brand-new.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
Re: FX loop mod for AD50VT-XL
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:37:43 AM »
COOL! Great thinking, dude. That was one of the reasons I didnt buy that amp.

Offline historymaker

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:56:41 AM »
finally bro  :-)

from my experience, it wasn't that difficult looking for the connections on the pcb. then again the AD50's layout is probably different from the 15 i modded. but the drilling was definitely a pain  :-D congrats

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:59:13 AM »
chrome, it's weird, considering how affordable the mod was, i'm wondering why Vox decided to sell the AD50VT-XL without one.  with its closed-back design, the Vox 50-watter tends to sound bassy (unlike the open-backed 100-watter, which some owners claim sounds more trebly), and you need a proper graphic eq to tune out that thumpy low-end.  

now, with a "smile" eq, i can give the high-gain models the proper scoop to give the amp's chug distortion more bite.  i feel 10 years younger every time i palm-mute a power chord hehe

outtaspaceman, less than 2k including parts, labor and tip na yun.

historymaker, thanks :-D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:07:01 AM by tapslore »
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:22:16 AM »
does the non xl version have an fx loop?

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
does the non xl version have an fx loop?

Only the 100-watt versions of each series have fx loops.

Cool mod! I wanted to pick one up but got turned off by the lack of an fx loop as well. :oops: