hulika

Author Topic: HELP pls. Publishing and Copyrighting  (Read 2287 times)

Offline putchazta_46

• Forum Fanatic
HELP pls. Publishing and Copyrighting
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
 :? May problema po ako, ewan ko kung tama b napasukan kong forums...

Recently my band recorded two original songs. I'm not bragging about it, but based on the comments we've heard, our songs are really sumthing to be proud of. Now we want to "copyright" it or make some form of evidence that we're the ones  who composed the lyrics and arranged the music of the songs. It's really scary for our songs to be stolen by others and get the credit specially after the heart and hard work we all put in it.

I Know it is not much of an issue here in the Philippines, or maybe i still don't know much about the music industry here.  But is there a way you can help me? Can anyone give me some legal advice? thanx :-D   

Offline ponchy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: HELP pls. Publishing and Copyrighting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
How To Copyright Your Songs:
        A Practical View Of Copyrights

Songwriters often worry their songs will be stolen. Sometimes they are so worried, they don't show people their songs, submit songs to publishers or enter song contests.

At some point in the songwriting process, this kind of reluctant concern becomes counterproductive — even a bit paranoid.

Songwriters who take time to understand basic copyright law usually come to this conclusion: There is no reason to miss opportunities in the music business out of fear that someone will steal your songs.

BASIC RULES OF COPYRIGHTS

When it comes to copyright protection, the main thing to remember is this: The revised Copyright Law of 1976 states that a songwriter legally owns the copyright to his/her song the moment the song is written.

All you need to do to establish a legal copyright is affix a copyright notice on your recording or lyrics. The term "affix" simply means you write your name and the year the song was written next to the copyright symbol.

The format looks like this: © YOUR NAME 2007

That's all there is to it. In fact, it's not even necessary to include a copyright notice on subsequent recordings. The writer still has copyright protection.

PRACTICAL COPYRIGHT USAGE

Because copyright law provides clear protections at the time of creation, experienced songwriters often wait to file formal copyrights (with the U.S. Office of Copyrights) until their songs are polished, rewritten, completed and ready to be published or released commercially.

When a song is finished and ready to go, it's ready to be registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

HOW TO ORDER COPYRIGHT FORMS

To order copyright forms from the U.S. Copyright Office, call the Federal Information Office toll-free at 1-800-688-9889

To ask specific questions about the copyright process, call the Copyright Office at 202-707-5959 or 202 707-9100. (These numbers are not toll-free).

Online you can visit the U.S. Copyright Office website to download the appropriate copyright form.

Form PA: For published or unpublished works.
Form SR: For sound recordings.

Instructions are provided at the website. The PA Form is used for copyrighting songs. The SR Form is used for copyrighting sound recordings.

Money-Saving Tip: The copyright registration fee (currently $45) covers either one song OR an entire collection of songs. So instead of copyrighting each song separately, you can save money by copyrighting many songs at the same time and registering "Collections" of your songs. For example: "Great Songs By (Your Name) 2005."

{Note: You cannot copyright an idea or a song title. Anyone can write a song about love or happiness or a lost dog. They just can't write the same song — lyric or melody.}

*Note: This article on copyrights is presented as practical information, not legal advice.

Copyright 2007 © All pages are sole property of
    Songwriters Resource Network™

oh by the way the writings are not mine hehe i found it in this website: http://www.songwritersresourcenetwork.com/copyrights.html

your topic was interesting enough. Goodluck to your compositions!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:26:10 PM by ponchy »

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
:? May problema po ako, ewan ko kung tama b napasukan kong forums...

Recently my band recorded two original songs. I'm not bragging about it, but based on the comments we've heard, our songs are really sumthing to be proud of. Now we want to "copyright" it or make some form of evidence that we're the ones  who composed the lyrics and arranged the music of the songs. It's really scary for our songs to be stolen by others and get the credit specially after the heart and hard work we all put in it.

I Know it is not much of an issue here in the Philippines, or maybe i still don't know much about the music industry here.  But is there a way you can help me? Can anyone give me some legal advice? thanx :-D   

National Libarary dun ako nagpa-copyright ng kanta ko  :-D
COMBOWORKS

Offline car_law

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:01:09 PM »
How To Copyright Your Songs:
        A Practical View Of Copyrights

Songwriters often worry their songs will be stolen. Sometimes they are so worried, they don't show people their songs, submit songs to publishers or enter song contests.

At some point in the songwriting process, this kind of reluctant concern becomes counterproductive — even a bit paranoid.

Songwriters who take time to understand basic copyright law usually come to this conclusion: There is no reason to miss opportunities in the music business out of fear that someone will steal your songs.

BASIC RULES OF COPYRIGHTS

When it comes to copyright protection, the main thing to remember is this: The revised Copyright Law of 1976 states that a songwriter legally owns the copyright to his/her song the moment the song is written.

All you need to do to establish a legal copyright is affix a copyright notice on your recording or lyrics. The term "affix" simply means you write your name and the year the song was written next to the copyright symbol.

The format looks like this: © YOUR NAME 2007

That's all there is to it. In fact, it's not even necessary to include a copyright notice on subsequent recordings. The writer still has copyright protection.

PRACTICAL COPYRIGHT USAGE

Because copyright law provides clear protections at the time of creation, experienced songwriters often wait to file formal copyrights (with the U.S. Office of Copyrights) until their songs are polished, rewritten, completed and ready to be published or released commercially.

When a song is finished and ready to go, it's ready to be registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

HOW TO ORDER COPYRIGHT FORMS

To order copyright forms from the U.S. Copyright Office, call the Federal Information Office toll-free at 1-800-688-9889

To ask specific questions about the copyright process, call the Copyright Office at 202-707-5959 or 202 707-9100. (These numbers are not toll-free).

Online you can visit the U.S. Copyright Office website to download the appropriate copyright form.

Form PA: For published or unpublished works.
Form SR: For sound recordings.

Instructions are provided at the website. The PA Form is used for copyrighting songs. The SR Form is used for copyrighting sound recordings.

Money-Saving Tip: The copyright registration fee (currently $45) covers either one song OR an entire collection of songs. So instead of copyrighting each song separately, you can save money by copyrighting many songs at the same time and registering "Collections" of your songs. For example: "Great Songs By (Your Name) 2005."

{Note: You cannot copyright an idea or a song title. Anyone can write a song about love or happiness or a lost dog. They just can't write the same song — lyric or melody.}

*Note: This article on copyrights is presented as practical information, not legal advice.

Copyright 2007 © All pages are sole property of
    Songwriters Resource Network™

oh by the way the writings are not mine hehe i found it in this website: http://www.songwritersresourcenetwork.com/copyrights.html

your topic was interesting enough. Goodluck to your compositions!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You've basically got it right dude.  However, what you posted is applicable to the US.  We have to remember that laws are territorial.  US laws, although similar here, It doesn't apply 100% in our country.

Just to clarify, tama ang sinabi na once you've composed a song and made it public, the copyright is yours.  However, you need proof.  Although such matters can be proven through testimonial evidence (i.e. people saying they heard the song from you first) or through private documents (i.e. the tissue paper you wrote it on), the best proof is still a copyright certificate, thats the document issued by the Intellectial property office or the National Library stating that you own the copyright of that song.  Its a very simple process and involves a very minimal amount of fees.  All you have to do is go to these offices and have your songs copyrighted there.

Or you could always hire a certain lawyer to do it for you...  :wink:

Offline putchazta_46

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
You've basically got it right dude.  However, what you posted is applicable to the US.  We have to remember that laws are territorial.  US laws, although similar here, It doesn't apply 100% in our country.

Just to clarify, tama ang sinabi na once you've composed a song and made it public, the copyright is yours.  However, you need proof.  Although such matters can be proven through testimonial evidence (i.e. people saying they heard the song from you first) or through private documents (i.e. the tissue paper you wrote it on), the best proof is still a copyright certificate, thats the document issued by the Intellectial property office or the National Library stating that you own the copyright of that song.  Its a very simple process and involves a very minimal amount of fees.  All you have to do is go to these offices and have your songs copyrighted there.

Or you could always hire a certain lawyer to do it for you...  :wink:

wOW BOSING MARAMING SALAMAT...tanong ko lang may bayad ba yung sa National Library? Magkano ba Kaya? pero sobrang salamat po... :-D

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:26:40 AM »

wOW BOSING MARAMING SALAMAT...tanong ko lang may bayad ba yung sa National Library? Magkano ba Kaya? pero sobrang salamat po... :-D

as far as I know kasi nung sa akin I presented 3 songs tapos nasa cd na sya along with the written lyrics and the application form pero all in all yung binayaran ko for copyright lang is 200 thats way back 2005, ewan ko lang ngayon, excluded pa duon yung notary and some zerox expenses hehehe, hope this helps  :-D
COMBOWORKS

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:55:05 AM »
di ba sabi kailangan daw naka nota?

tama ba? yari.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
di ba sabi kailangan daw naka nota?

tama ba? yari.

Hindi naman.  Basta may 2 CD copies ka.  Super dali lang.  After getting the form, fill-up mo lang, tapos labas ka, may mga nagno-notarize dun.  Tapos bayad.  Tapos yun na!  Balikan mo lang after 30days.   :-)
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
with lyrics di po ba?

sige salamat. yey!

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:22:48 AM »
Wala na.  2 CD's lang, and your cedula.  Bring 300-500 pesos to be sure.  Can't remember the exact fee.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore