hulika

Author Topic: Wet or Dry recording, which is better?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
Wet or Dry recording, which is better?
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:25:03 PM »
What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? And sa mga pros here, which do you prefer or suggest na rin?
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Wet or Dry recording, which is better?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »

(edited: I googled my own answer to my question)

:-D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:51:51 PM by digitalcyco »
This is a forum siggy.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
are you guys refering to wet or dry GUITAR track recording?

For me it is better to track a dry guitar track and just insert modulations later. The cons of recording guitar tracks with modulations is that you "cannot" modify the effects after it is recorded. What if in a mix the effects is too much or too little? You really cannot do anything about it anymore unless you re-track the whole guitar track.

If i were to record you and u really cant play without modulations (delays, reverbs, phazer, etc...), I can give you these effects on the monitors while you're playing without really recording the modulations. And then just put the neccessary plugins needed for that track.
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
Yes it's about guitar recording.

Pero maa-achieve ba yung sound na napoproduce mo pag tumutugtog ng live kung dry ito irerecord then imamanipulate na lang via sound plug ins?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Yes it's about guitar recording.

Pero maa-achieve ba yung sound na napoproduce mo pag tumutugtog ng live kung dry ito irerecord then imamanipulate na lang via sound plug ins?

ofcourse.
if only i can upload some of my clients ill let u guys hear it.

One of co-forumites vaisteen have recorded recently and he was amazed that even his only pedal is his dirt pedal, i was able to accomplish the sound he's lookin for in his guitar solo. And just added the modulations after the recorded track.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:06:23 PM by xjepoyx »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »
May solusyon diyam: Split your signals!  Use a DI box to split hot and dry guitar signals.  Then, use a mixer to split the dry miked signal and the one with reverb/modulations.  That way, marami kang fallback.

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
in recording with effects or no effects, either one is not necessarily better than the other, as always, it depends on the "situation" - the song, the genre/type of music

but like Skunk mentioned, always record a dry signal as a safety.

Jepoy is correct especially with time-based effects like delay and tremolo - these are best controlled during the mix.

if studio time is not an object, I prefer that guitarists nail their tone with all effects printed already - they seem to deliver a better performance when they are hearing all the sound elements in their head coming out of the speakers (amp or monitors). 

the catch with having to manage the effects during the mix is it makes the MIXing job more challenging - not only does the mixer has to think about the overall sound - but also tinker and bother with the guitar effects...

LouieAzcona

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
considered as wet recording ba ang pagrecord ng distortion gamit ang DRIVE ng amp? Mas gusto ko magrecord ng distortion kapag sa amp galing... kesa gumamit ng mga pedal. lalo na yung mga digital... hindi ko gusto soung ng mga digitial na effects pedal pagdating sa recording,.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
it is always better to record DRY para mas marami kang option sa pag manipulate ng signal.. tama si skunky na i split mo yung signal at tama din si rakrakan na mas INSPIRED tumugtog yung guitarist kapag naririnig nya yung sound na gusto niyang kalabasan sa amp.. ang approach ko dito eh nirerecord ko ng dry yung signal sa DAW pero sa mixing board  ( signal processing sa aux send and return) e nilalagyan ko ng effects like delay , distortion, phaser at kung ano ano pang gustong effects ng guitarist. sa plugins ko na lang inaayos.mahirap na kasi kapag nasobrahan ang distortion o delay o reverb..tulad sa boses, hindi ako naglalagay ng reverb..sa mixing board na lang nilalagyan para mas ma modulate ng singer yung boses nya pero dry yung signal na nirerecord..my 2 cents... 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
Ako kasi I record using Dry signal. Kaya lang ang mahirap kalabanin, pag nakapag-experiment ka ng bagong tunog, mawawala yung original sound na gusto mo eh! Mate-tempt kang itry lahat.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
May solusyon diyam: Split your signals!  Use a DI box to split hot and dry guitar signals.  Then, use a mixer to split the dry miked signal and the one with reverb/modulations.  That way, marami kang fallback.

that's what I do...baka kasi mas maganda effects sa amplitube/NI...hehe

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
Ang opinion ko, it really depends on the sound you're after.  Just think about it:

A reverb pedal will sound different from spring reverb on your amp, and much different when you add reverb across the mixer and record it in real-time, and iba rin ang tunog ng reverb na dinadagdag sa mixing.  REVERB PA LANG YUN!

Personally, if I want that Shadows/Ventures type of reverb, by all means use an amp's spring reverb.  If I want a cleaner reverb in my signal but I feel that I want to hear it processed while recording, I put it through the mixer and tap a miked signal to another channel, so I can mix signals in the mixing.  Now if I long for CONTROLLED airiness, that's where plugins come into the picture.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
recording with or without effects depends on the situation.  i have recently recorded a guitarist with the amp reverb maxed out.  it was a slide guitar track and it sounded perfect for the song.  come to think of it, ALL guitar tracks i have recorded recently have modulation effects plugged in already via stomp box, pod, or built in amp effects. 

the advantage of recording WITH effects is that you make a comitment to that specific sound. making that commitment means you have a clear idea of your goals as a musician and producer.

recording with effects allow inspired real-time tweaking.  you can create very unique tones and textures by twiddling the knobs and discover sounds beyond what a regular stomp box can offer. 

the disadvantage is if you are still on the experimental stage you might make the wrong choices and end up having to retake your parts later.

personally i dont record a dry signal anymore because tracks just stack up and having too many options sometimes weakens one's comitment to a particular sound.  if a producer asks for a dry split i provide it for him, but he/she usually doesnt.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:39:51 PM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline moogerfooger

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 01:47:33 AM »
decide 1st before hitting the record button :-) 
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."

"NEVER FROWN BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHO MIGHT BE FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOUR SMILE"

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
Thanks for the response everyone!

Nga pala, pano ba mag split ng signals? May audio interface kasi ako yung M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »
decide 1st before hitting the record button :-) 

nalalaman mo ba kagad kung anong effects ang dapat ilagay bago irecord?

kasi may mga band na first time magrerecord. so wala kang reference kung ano ang tunog ng mga kanta nila. sa tingin ko din, hindi enough na mapanood mo sila ng live para malaman mo kung anong effects ang dapat mo ilagay sa mga songs nila. lalong hindi rin enough kung tatanungin mo lang sila.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »

kasi may mga band na first time magrerecord. so wala kang reference kung ano ang tunog ng mga kanta nila. sa tingin ko din, hindi enough na mapanood mo sila ng live para malaman mo kung anong effects ang dapat mo ilagay sa mga songs nila. lalong hindi rin enough kung tatanungin mo lang sila.

it is the band's or the producer's task to know their sound, and the guitar effects required by a song.  usually, alam na ng banda or ng guitarista kung anong effects kailangan nila.  kaya mas maganda kung may pre prod, or kung may budget na mag experiment sa studio.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »
ang pansin ko lang kapag recorded WET yung signal eh mahihirapan kang mag punch- in o mag edit kapag nadiskubre mong me mali pala sa track. sa volume level e madali ng ayusin pero sa EQ at effects, medyo mahirap na at mahahalata yung dugtong, kaya i always record dry and with no EQ at all... just my two cents..
Music is art in sound...

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
Thanks for the response everyone!

Nga pala, pano ba mag split ng signals? May audio interface kasi ako yung M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB.

preamp ka...yung guitar mo direct box papasok...isang output sa effects tapos effects to soundcard...isang output direct sa soundcard...ganyan setup ko sa behringer mic100...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
For me, as a rule of thumb:

1.  Choose the VOICE of the instrument you're gonna record.  (factors include the choice of guitar, amp and distortion/OD.)  Record those in a "no turning back" fashion.
2.  For modulations and time-based fx, it can come in handy to split signals if you're using outboard fx or stompboxes (use stomps through an fx loop through a mixer) and have aux sends with DRY and WET signals (100% wet) so you can mix the signals during mixing.

There are exceptions of course.  EVH couldn't have nailed that sound without the Phaser and delay in front of a cranked JTM45. 

Offline moogerfooger

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »

you have all the time in the world sir :-)

usually yung ibang guitarists alam na nila yan before and after gigs. kung 4 yrs o dekada nang tinutugtog yon ng banda i guess alam na nila yung fx na gusto nila.  siguro may ganyan case nga tho wala pa ko nakita na guitarist na nag lay-in ng clean tone muna then ska pa lang lalagyan ng distortion yung clean tone na nirecord nya before :-)

sabi nga ni sir skunky, record in a "no turning back fashion"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:04:39 PM by moogerfooger »
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."

"NEVER FROWN BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHO MIGHT BE FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOUR SMILE"

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
1.  Choose the VOICE of the instrument you're gonna record.  (factors include the choice of guitar, amp and distortion/OD.)  Record those in a "no turning back" fashion.
2.  For modulations and time-based fx, ...

same here, since i only record myself.  makes my work so much easier with the deadlines i have.

i only add post effects like reverb and compression for ease of mixing the final output.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz: