hulika

Author Topic: Saturation Point  (Read 2379 times)

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
Saturation Point
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:56:22 AM »
Hey guys - I've been listening and studying jazz and blues for the past months, and I can't help but feel I've reached my saturation point. I don't feel like playing anymore because there's nothing else to be learned and played (except of course what I know now, which tends to get boring from time to time.) I tried playing to backtracks, learning new songs, listening to other musicians, and even experimenting on pop songs - but to no avail.

I'm tempted to lay low music for a few days, but I feel that this is not the best approach to this dilemma. Whenever I stop playing/listening, I find myself a few weeks back in knowledge/skill.

Did you guys reach this point? How did you overcome this?

Hoping for your kind advices.  :-D

Chito

Re: Saturation Point
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:08:44 AM »
How about making songs/music of your own?

william251082

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:18:29 AM »
Ok yan time out muna, pagbalik mo maeexcite ka uli. In my case 2 days pa lang ang longest time out ko. Siguro mag ttime out lang ako ng mahaba pag kinasal na ko hehehhehehe :-D

Try playing with good musicians to learn and be inspired.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:21:05 PM »
How about making songs/music of your own?

Tried this, but it's no good... Although, I get to have new songs - not good though kasi pilit.  :-D

Ok yan time out muna, pagbalik mo maeexcite ka uli. In my case 2 days pa lang ang longest time out ko. Siguro mag ttime out lang ako ng mahaba pag kinasal na ko hehehhehehe :-D

Try playing with good musicians to learn and be inspired.

So timeout lang talaga? Hmm... Playing with good musicians... Pwede nga...
Pwede rin teacher... pero wala pa akong pera... Hmm...

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »
suggest, you jam with other musicians not only guitar players...jam a lot..for sure you'll learn from them, how they approach music as a whole not just a specific genre, ask for their advice, tips, tricks etc.,

2 birds in 1 stone, you build confidence and develop your chops the same time...through jamming :evil:

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
play with ppl... make friends. play for the purpose of self expression rather than crowd appreciation.

i reached that point and it was friends who made me love music again.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Alright, so jamming it is..  :-D

Thanks! I'll try to find some jamming partners - unfortunately my day job demands most of my time during the day, that's why I only practice late midnight at home. Or maybe during weekends. Now where to find someone who would want to jam with me...

:-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:48:16 AM »
Ok din magpahinga. Mga 3-5 days lang. Longer than that and execution suffers too much, IMHO.

Or try listening to other stuff. Ako, hanggang ngayon nakikinig pa rin ako ng Van Halen, Vai, Greg Howe, Living Color, Robben Ford, Buddy Guy, BB King, Joni Mitchell. It helps keep things fresh. Don't get locked into any one genre to the detriment of other genres. Jazz ghetto labas non.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Yeah, nakakaabot talaga sa point na ayaw mo tumugtog ng Jazz haha! Don't confine yourself! Even if your main genre is Jazz, still listen to and learn about other genres!  :-)

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 01:54:12 AM »
Sige, sige... Right now, I'm listening to more groovy songs, like what you won't do, marvin gaye songs, mga ganun. At least I get to practice good rhythm, parang si Jerome Rico... Groovy.  :-D

Pahinga rin ako now - actually focus on day job. Wala rin pahinga haha  :-D.

Pero I play parin mga 1 or 2 songs every 3 hours, as a rest from my usual routines when working from home.  :-D

Anyway, sige, it's great getting your views. Thanks!  :-D