hulika

Author Topic: WHO'S GOT VARIAC (Variable AC) TRANSFORMER?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline rockarolla

• Forum Fanatic
WHO'S GOT VARIAC (Variable AC) TRANSFORMER?
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:08:07 AM »
I need this thing for my head amp. please pm offers or leads. thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:18:50 AM by rockarolla »
Some musicians may become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.

Offline sd8450

Re: WHO'S GOT VARIAC (Variable AC) TRANSFORMER?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I need this thing for my head amp. please pm offers or leads. thanks
Try Deeco at Raon. They have Variacs there.

They are expensive and heavy.

If you don't mind, will you share with us why you need it and how you would use that with your amp?

Or do you mean a voltage transformer, to reduce 220V to 110/100V?
Vintage and Not-So Vintage Amps
http://vintageguitaramps.blogspot.com/

Offline rockarolla

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »
Try Deeco at Raon. They have Variacs there.

They are expensive and heavy.

If you don't mind, will you share with us why you need it and how you would use that with your amp?

Or do you mean a voltage transformer, to reduce 220V to 110/100V?

thanks man. the tech recommended using a variac on a tube amp to reduce the voltage as a result of an incorrect restoration of the trannies. i could hear humming even at low volumes..so, its a variac,  not the regular transformer
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:56:14 PM by rockarolla »
Some musicians may become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.

Offline sd8450

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
thanks man. the tech recommended using a variac on a tube amp to reduce the voltage as a result of an incorrect restoration of the trannies. i could hear humming even at low volumes..so, its a variac,  not the regular transformer
I suggest you get your power transformer repaired by a competent technician instead. That would be IMO the practical way to resolve your problem.

Getting an expensive and heavy VARIAC is a very impractical solution. It will cost you more and it will add one more piece of very heavy equipment to connect to your amp. Your tranny will still hum and can potentially cause further trouble in future if it was incorrectly restored in the first place.

I would not use the technician who restored your tranny and would be wary of the technician who gave you the VARIAC advice.

Hope this helps.

Vintage and Not-So Vintage Amps
http://vintageguitaramps.blogspot.com/

Offline qwi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:41:25 AM »
agree
for sale jim dunlop univibe & Epi chet atkins
also available PIO caps 22nf & 47nf @150pesos

Offline ikem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:24 AM »
Tama.
ginagamit lang ang variac for testing,not for permanent installation.baka mapihit ung setting lalo pa masira amp mo.
One solution is to install series resistor s power supply after rectifier.timpla n lang sa value to get the desired voltage.
There's something money can't buy, but for anything else there's your credit card..