hulika

Author Topic: Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!  (Read 279551 times)

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!
« Reply #1200 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
ok, so my 2-year amp project which had been picking dust finally got a nudge it deserves. etched a new board for the preamp/amp and power sections. improved some layout " issues" i had with the populated boards. sana matapos na nga.

Offline deliciouspapa

« Reply #1201 on: June 13, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »
your power resistors can use a bit more space, vertically and horizontally.  those can get hot and can scorch adjacent parts and the pcb.  glue your power caps to the board.  vibration can make it delaminate the copper traces it's soldered on.

Offline leoman53

« Reply #1202 on: June 13, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
also holes underneath the power resistor helps....

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1203 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
nilagyan ko ng holes para madali i-mount sa chassis. chassis na lang talaga prob ko.

install-an ko na din ng output fan to keep things cool sa loob. yay or nay?

Offline pie-key

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1204 on: June 13, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »
Tsaka yung trace mo sa power mukhang manipis? Tapos may nakapalibot na ground plane sa spaces? mukhang delikado ata kapag tagal niyan.
References:
BossingBoss/Spudmusic/Xelly/Poundcake/Fonzy/Joel_marcelo/Micsis/Voidman/Free2rock/
'57 Strat/DIY OD/Strymon TL/Eventide MF/Hardwire SN/TCE Polytune Mini/Princeton Chorus

Offline leoman53

« Reply #1205 on: June 13, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
....currents in a tube tube amp are in the 10's of milliamperes, worst case about 100mA, so trace width is of little concern :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:58:53 PM by leoman53 »

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1206 on: June 14, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
2 parts yan: yung malapad na board para sa preamp/power amp sections, tsaka off-board wiring sa pots/jacks/tubes. yung maliit, sa rectifier/power section. makapal naman ang trace, pero makapal din ang space between the ground plane and the traces, tapos may holes that i plan to use to mount to the chassis through metal bolts.

yung sa preamp walang conductivity yung ground plane nya sa metal bolt na gagamitin pang-mount sa chassis. lahat ng grounds consolidated sa recti/power section (i drilled holes there for the wires).

Offline leoman53

« Reply #1207 on: June 14, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »
whatever you do, do not rely on the chassis to run your power supply currents, B+ leads must have its own -voltage returns to the psu....if you do this you will have a troublefree amplifier... :-D

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1208 on: June 14, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
^haha sure man. may pads na din for that :-) yung sa B+ ata IIRC may sariling set of wires na din.

chassis na lang talaga kulang. try ko muna temporary connections while waiting for a proper chassis.

Offline pie-key

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1209 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
....currents in a tube tube amp are in the 10's of milliamperes, worst casea bout 100mA, so trace width is of little concern :)

Ok
References:
BossingBoss/Spudmusic/Xelly/Poundcake/Fonzy/Joel_marcelo/Micsis/Voidman/Free2rock/
'57 Strat/DIY OD/Strymon TL/Eventide MF/Hardwire SN/TCE Polytune Mini/Princeton Chorus

Offline deliciouspapa

« Reply #1210 on: June 14, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »
@musikerochan

it might turn out cheaper and faster to create a new power board using eyelets, turrets or soldertags.  If not, do as leoman53 said:  drill holes beneath the power resistors.

I haven't seen your schematic,  but try to keep as much parts off the pcb and crimp AND solder them on the tube solder tabs, like the grid stoppers  and the cathode resistor on the power tube.

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1211 on: June 14, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
^walang matinong turret boards available dito sa place namin. travelling to manila is too tiring naman haha! juskupo. will let you guys know kung ano result ng magiging experiment ko by next month installation. lilipat kasi ako ng bahay kaya baka matengga muna ulit, pero tingin ko matatapos na (hopefully) this year.

Offline deliciouspapa

« Reply #1212 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
i use nickel-coated eyelets, like the ones used in shoe lace holes.  medyo malaki siya at 5mm, pero it gets the job done.  i use scrap pcb stripped of copper, acrylic or gasket material (sold in auto supplies) for boards. 

may chassis ka na ba?  judging from you pictures, isang weekend na lang yan, tutunog na.  go, fight!

Offline leoman53

« Reply #1213 on: June 14, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
it is even possible to make that amp play without a chassis just to test... :-D

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1214 on: June 14, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
hahaha, wala pa nga. nkailang try na ako magdrill sa mga aluminum c-sections, pero di ko type ang resulta. bili pa pala nga ako ng 2 pairs pa ng tube sockets.

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1215 on: July 08, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
Up ko lang... medyo tahimik eh :)
good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1216 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
hahaha, para kang konsenya ko: always reminding me to finish stalled projects :lol:

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1217 on: July 08, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
hahahha oo nga ano. Minsan nakakadagdag din sa motivation and momentum if may nakikita kang projects ng iba. :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:23:52 PM by johnravacio »
good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1218 on: September 05, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »
Wheeew! I'm not supposed to post this one but medyo I was happy with what I have been through. This is my second tube build(first build was the Aikido 5670-12AU7). Experience is the best teacher really.

I was supposed to build guitar tube amplifier like how BAMF of philmusic did. I had 2 sets of Power Transformer,Output Transformer and Choke wound by JV Ultrahicom Enterprises at Paco specifically wound for push-pull 18 watter guitar amps. I had these parts collecting dusts for a while now. However, what will I do with those Guitar Amps after building it? I already have 2 guitar amps (85 Watt and 30 watt) and a Bass amp at home. Although, none of them are tubes.

I did ask Tony(leoman53) before about the difference between Output Transformer for a guitar amp and for HIFI Amplifiers. Those two OPTs are very different from materials used ,how its wound and more importantly how it sounds. But I can't help myself wondering about how those two will sound differently. So instead of building a guitar amplifier, I built a Single-Ended 6SJ7-6L6GC using guitar amplifier transformers and see/hear the results. Later nalng ang Guitar amp, I should be building a Marshall 50Watt Head next time instead of some 18watter amps.

I took Mr. Chey's design for Single-Ended 6SJ7-6L6GC from diyaudioprojects, but did a lot of tweaks:

With the Power Transformer I have with the following specifications, I have to modify its power supply.

Primary: 220V
Secondary:
320-CT-320V @ 150mA
350-CT-350V @ 150mA
12V @ 2.5A.

Looking at the specifications of JJ 6L6GC, the Plate and Screen could handle up to 450volts. Hmm so my Power transformer could handle more enough. I could have a plate Voltage of 400v+, and Screen about 250V.

Running those 6SJ7 with a plate voltage of 200V would be okay after a few googling.

Yes, that's the plan so I build it

Wait! I only have a push-pull 18W output transformer. After few google searches, it looks like I could use a push-pull output transformer wired as a single-ended leaving the CT on the Primary windings un-attached

I have used Hammond 1444-32 ordered online from RS Components

The Brown wire is the CT on the Primary windings left unattached.I have also MKP Audiophiler Caps from Eleshop.

I have fused the HV and Mains.I have also used X2 Caps, Thermistor and an Ferrite Cores at the mains.

There its finished!

Measurements:
Mains = 240V

B+ = 354 V
A+ = 205 V - voltage going to 6SJ7

6L6GC plate = 354 V
6L6GC Screen = 225.4V
6L6GC  cathode = 23.3 V

Noise/hum/hiss measurements: 0.022VAC

Conclusions:
Hay parang blog na. Overall I was very happy with the results. It was way better that my solid state power amplifier. It was punchy on the mid-range and smooth on the bass frequencies and not boomy like solid states. The sound gets distorted as I turn up the volume to about 3 O' Clock. Might be Output Transformer since its not for Single-Ended.

This thing gets hot in just 30 minutes of playing. I could touch the parts for about 2 seconds so it seems like those dropping resistors are about 50 to 70 degrees celsius.

What's next?
Finish Aikido 6N1P. Get this amp a real Single-Ended Output Transformer!

Tube Sources:

Epektos.com for 6L6GC
Gerry Sta. Maria for 6SJ7s

Tube Sockets:
AMCO and Watson

Offline MetalX

« Reply #1219 on: September 05, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »
Wheeew! I'm not supposed to post this one but medyo I was happy with what I have been through. This is my second tube build(first build was the Aikido 5670-12AU7). Experience is the best teacher really.

I was supposed to build guitar tube amplifier like how BAMF of philmusic did. I had 2 sets of Power Transformer,Output Transformer and Choke wound by JV Ultrahicom Enterprises at Paco specifically wound for push-pull 18 watter guitar amps. I had these parts collecting dusts for a while now. However, what will I do with those Guitar Amps after building it? I already have 2 guitar amps (85 Watt and 30 watt) and a Bass amp at home. Although, none of them are tubes.

I did ask Tony(leoman53) before about the difference between Output Transformer for a guitar amp and for HIFI Amplifiers. Those two OPTs are very different from materials used ,how its wound and more importantly how it sounds. But I can't help myself wondering about how those two will sound differently. So instead of building a guitar amplifier, I built a Single-Ended 6SJ7-6L6GC using guitar amplifier transformers and see/hear the results. Later nalng ang Guitar amp, I should be building a Marshall 50Watt Head next time instead of some 18watter amps.

I took Mr. Chey's design for Single-Ended 6SJ7-6L6GC from diyaudioprojects, but did a lot of tweaks:

With the Power Transformer I have with the following specifications, I have to modify its power supply.

Primary: 220V
Secondary:
320-CT-320V @ 150mA
350-CT-350V @ 150mA
12V @ 2.5A.

Looking at the specifications of JJ 6L6GC, the Plate and Screen could handle up to 450volts. Hmm so my Power transformer could handle more enough. I could have a plate Voltage of 400v+, and Screen about 250V.

Running those 6SJ7 with a plate voltage of 200V would be okay after a few googling.

Yes, that's the plan so I build it

Wait! I only have a push-pull 18W output transformer. After few google searches, it looks like I could use a push-pull output transformer wired as a single-ended leaving the CT on the Primary windings un-attached

I have used Hammond 1444-32 ordered online from RS Components

The Brown wire is the CT on the Primary windings left unattached.I have also MKP Audiophiler Caps from Eleshop.

I have fused the HV and Mains.I have also used X2 Caps, Thermistor and an Ferrite Cores at the mains.

There its finished!

Measurements:
Mains = 240V

B+ = 354 V
A+ = 205 V - voltage going to 6SJ7

6L6GC plate = 354 V
6L6GC Screen = 225.4V
6L6GC  cathode = 23.3 V

Noise/hum/hiss measurements: 0.022VAC

Conclusions:
Hay parang blog na. Overall I was very happy with the results. It was way better that my solid state power amplifier. It was punchy on the mid-range and smooth on the bass frequencies and not boomy like solid states. The sound gets distorted as I turn up the volume to about 3 O' Clock. Might be Output Transformer since its not for Single-Ended.

This thing gets hot in just 30 minutes of playing. I could touch the parts for about 2 seconds so it seems like those dropping resistors are about 50 to 70 degrees celsius.

What's next?
Finish Aikido 6N1P. Get this amp a real Single-Ended Output Transformer!

Tube Sources:

Epektos.com for 6L6GC
Gerry Sta. Maria for 6SJ7s

Tube Sockets:
AMCO and Watson

Ang galling namin sir, parang gusto ko galah in.

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1220 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
Ang galling namin sir, parang gusto ko galah in.

Try mo Brad, nakakahook talaga. I've started my DIY endeavor on Stompboxes tapos ngayon tubes naman :)

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1221 on: September 06, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
^naks noice project! funny thing is nagscribble pa ako sa arm ko ng word na AMP kahapon just to remind myself anew. lol, wa epek.

OT: cue "dumble ng pinas" comments later :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1222 on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
OT: cue "dumble ng pinas" comments later

:lol:
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline johnravacio

« Reply #1223 on: September 17, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
Tahimik dito  :-D ... Nga pala na san na si BAMF, mukhang nde na nag-ddiy?

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1224 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
^nag-aaral ng law. baka umay na sa ohm's law, kaya constitution naman ang pinag-aaralan :lol: