hulika

Author Topic: Teddy Diaz...20 yrs after his death...the man is still worth remembering  (Read 16765 times)

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
Today marks Teddy Diaz's 20yr death anniversary...lets share and give our thoughts about this legendary and influential guitarist

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:27:37 AM by syndrome »

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
He was still my very first guitar hero.  I think the first lead line I learned all by myself was the solo to Envelope Ideas.

Offline jiu-jitsu brasileiro

• Forum Fanatic
He was still my very first guitar hero.  I think the first lead line I learned all by myself was the solo to Envelope Ideas.

same here. after enveloped ideas pinag aralan ko halos lahat ng kanta sa the dawn's first 2 albums. gone too soon. sabi nga sa isang kanta na sinulat niya,  "... wish you were here".
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:55:43 PM by jiu-jitsu brasileiro »
nemo me impune lacesit

Offline tuned

• Veteran Member
One of the best rhythm guitarist during his days.......
Take it easy , but take it.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus

me too!
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline thr3ten

• Philmusicus Addictus
salute!!
Pulling Teeth!

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
....to any ordinary man on the street he was a nobody, but to the music world he belong he was a great loss...

....Teddy loved God...loved life..and he expressed his love through music ..."hoping it would be easier to sing out my enveloped ideas"

..long live..long hair Teddy

• Forum Fanatic
....to any ordinary man on the street he was a nobody, but to the music world he belong he was a great loss...

....Teddy loved God...loved life..and he expressed his love through music ..."hoping it would be easier to sing out my enveloped ideas"

..long live..long hair Teddy

nice rare pics,bro. post some more. :-D go na tayo sa "project" natin. :-)
nemo me impune lacesit

• Forum Fanatic

Beautiful story written by Nina Sandejas about Teddy Diaz and Francisbrew Reyes:

http://dollyrockmuse.livejournal.com/213925.html#cutid1
nemo me impune lacesit

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
nice pics...parehas pala sila death anniv ni ninoy, ngayon ko lang napansin.

jiu-jitsu brasileiro, thanks for the post. nice read.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:17:44 AM by gutz_3110 »

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Teddy Diaz...20 yrs after his death...the man is still worth remembering
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »

jiu-jitsu brasileiro, thanks for the post. nice read.

thanks bro. nice avatar. one of my most favorite albums. my band used to jam sa songs sa album na yan. rick rubin-great producer, the cult- great band = one timeless album. :-)
nemo me impune lacesit

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:09:03 AM »

Beautiful story written by Nina Sandejas about Teddy Diaz and Francisbrew Reyes:

http://dollyrockmuse.livejournal.com/213925.html#cutid1

couple of years b4 the Dawn was formed, JB & I were buddies.. we boozed at lot, party all night & jam regularly at his studio in taft ave. one time we even jammed w/ Pepe Smith, the Jerks & some other pinoy rock greats. JB's got a different beat, loves syncopated grooves, ( his fave is Stewart Copeland ).

I met Teddy when they were still coming up w/ songs for their 1st album. Naging tambayan kasi yung studio ni JB sa compound nila. They were doing 80's cover tunes,( for gigs ) but my fave is Rush's YYZ.  Teddy was a quiet guy but when the conversation turns to guitar talk, he is one passionate dude.

when he passed away, my kumpare Noel Mendez became the Dawn's axeman. the 1st major concert ( post Teddy ), noel sported a mask "ala Zorro" ( I guess management wanted to keep the "mystic" of Teddy's loss ).

noel was a "hot" session player/band leader & musical director. he moved on, Atsushi came in, then Kiko, then Kiko & Atsushi... Caloy Balsells ( bassist ) is also a good friend also. Last time we hanged out was Carlos Santana's concert a decade back.

dami pang kwento... Atsushi's "Yngwie" attitude problem, JB's club, mga gimmick namin nuon, ( brushes w/ the law, S-D, & Rakenrol!  :-D :evil: :-D)...

Si Kiko talaga ang rightful heir ni Teddy not only as an axeman but as an artist as well.

hey maybe I should write a book also... :-D dami ko ring mga vintage pics! :mrgreen: hahalungkatin ko lang sa may attic namin...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:12:18 AM by jimy james »

Offline sOnicmArk

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
teddy, you're still the best man....

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »
Saya ng The Dawn/Remembering Teddy Diaz gig last Thursday @ Saguijo. It was old school The Dawn as Caloy played bass. :-D

Please join thedawnlist@yahoogroups.com and check out the pics of the event.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »
Saya ng The Dawn/Remembering Teddy Diaz gig last Thursday @ Saguijo. It was old school The Dawn as Caloy played bass. :-D

sayang, i missed this gig. :-( did they perform "the moon" and wish you were here" ? anyways, mag join na lang ako sa yahoo group.  :-)
nemo me impune lacesit

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
sayang, i missed this gig. :-( did they perform "the moon" and wish you were here" ? anyways, mag join na lang ako sa yahoo group.  :-)

Nope... But they played a lot of old songs such as "Susi" and "Behind Shadows". I've been bugging/begging Junboy to play "Wish You Were Here" since last year. I consider it an underrated classic. :mrgreen:

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »
me too!

Jon, bago ba number mo? Tinext kita regarding the death anniversary gig di ka nag reply. :?

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »

was that a sign Caloy would be returning? or he just filled in coz Buddy is busy with rehearsals?..

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
was that a sign Caloy would be returning? or he just filled in coz Buddy is busy with rehearsals?..

Buddy was also there at Saguijo... Spectator siya for the night. :-)

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 08:54:39 PM »
Buddy was also there at Saguijo... Spectator siya for the night. :-)

sayang i missed to watch the tribute show....but i know the band made Teddy very happy up there smiling :)... most probably he's there in the venue watching, enjoying the night and specially the music..

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 11:30:53 PM »
U2 na U2 dating ng pix ah...intro ng salamat and where the streets have no name may similarity or maybe it's just me?  8-)

i miss them old days...  :-)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »
Ang nami-miss ko, yung mga litrato nila sa The Score magazine.

Errrr....I'm showing my age just mentioning that  :|

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
Jon, bago ba number mo? Tinext kita regarding the death anniversary gig di ka nag reply. :?

same. was at work. sat night lang ako pwede. hehe.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline Carlo Romero

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »

same. was at work. sat night lang ako pwede. hehe.

Ah kaya pala... :-D

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »
go na tayo sa "project" natin. :-)

hope we could work things on it para on the next listers night or tribute show :lol: who knows?..maka isang mini set man lang :-P... so we can return the favor to Teddy naman for inspiring us with his music