hulika

Author Topic: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?  (Read 57703 times)

Offline spin

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2008, 03:48:38 AM »
 i think i also had a share of good ole dj'ing days, anyone tried using an "electown" belt drive turntables, with a crappy 2 chnnel mixer, with a "squishhhh, squisssh" sound eveytime you're trying to push the channel fader up... :-D

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2008, 03:49:50 AM »
sir i think that was block rockin' beats ...

ow i see.. uu nga.. pero ok lang nabigay narin saakin yung artist so yan din ang lalabas na title ng song kung sakali na makita ko.. thanks din.. gusto ko talaga yung mga songs na yan, pati yung sa prodigy.
Reyzuna!!!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2008, 03:53:47 AM »

Just to add some info... the money collected were used to replicate CDs for give aways. No other band paid for the replications. Like what i said to Louie... Sa Kanila lang at sa isa pang banda ako natuwa kasi sila lang ang may interest talaga sa compilation at may pangastos sa replication.

We didnt earn a single cent sa compilation album since we shouldered all the recording and mixing.

Jobet SMS sent...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:01:34 PM by xjepoyx »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2008, 07:40:03 AM »
I edited certain posts... no need to air dirty laundry in public.

Guys, you have to make your peace with each other.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline loudchild

« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2008, 07:43:36 AM »
lumayo na ng lumayo usapan dito sa thread na to. Sorry if i may sound mapapel or some may brand me as "epal". The hell I care pero i just want us all to stick to the topic. Sana yung mga members na may issue with other members regarding something else use the pm function na lang or since alam nyo naman yung mga ym ng isa't isa e di magconference na lang kayo or better yet magkitakita kayo para pagusapan yang mga isyu nyo. This thread has become a disappointment and a freakshow IMHO. peace mga sir just being true to myself and what i feel.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »
sir i think that was block rockin' beats ...

type-o noted and edited. thx.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

LouieAzcona

« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »
Keep the money... May mga trabaho na po kami... kung ibabalik niyo samin yung pera na binayad namin. at paghati-hatian... pamasahe nalang namin yan para sa isang araw.

ayaw ko lang na may nanloloko saakin... at sa banda/kaibigan ko.

thread starter... im so sorry... sana bumalik pa sa topic to kung may pag-asa pa. sorry talaga pare.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »
and going...

LouieAzcona

« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
Keep the money... May mga trabaho na po kami... kung ibabalik niyo samin yung pera na binayad namin. at paghati-hatian... pamasahe nalang namin yan para sa isang araw.

ayaw ko lang na may nanloloko saakin... at sa banda/kaibigan ko.

thread starter... im so sorry... sana bumalik pa sa topic to kung may pag-asa pa. sorry talaga pare.

sounds like a case of miscommunication, mismanagement and misallocation of funds. i guess the project lost steam huh?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:01 AM »
sounds like a case of miscommunication, mismanagement and misallocation of funds. i guess the project lost steam huh?

I think that subject will have to be taken elsewhere, Mikey. It's a private matter between the parties involved and it should not have been brought out in this thread in the first place.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
i agree. My posts were necessary because the issue started somewhere. Now that the crux is gone, editing my posts as well.

Okay pa din kami ni Jop.

@mikey: Lost steam is correct...worse got derailed because the bands we made the compilation for no longer existed by the time mastering was to be done :D. No mismanagement IMHO everything went smoothly till we were near the replication stage.

Laki din ng pagod namin na labor of love lang din yun.

Sorry for the OT. Washing my posts.

I edited certain posts... no need to air dirty laundry in public.

Guys, you have to make your peace with each other.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »
Actually, I’ve enjoy reading this thread back at the beginning he he he..   :-D
Reyzuna!!!

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
It so funny when sometimes you’ve bring up a conversation that people will be interested for it, he he sorry guys for all that I have done for this thread. I’m out of that topic and I don’t want to get involve with that kind of conversations.

I want also popcorns!!! hahaha
Reyzuna!!!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
It so funny when sometimes you’ve bring up a conversation that people will be interested for it, he he sorry guys for all that I have done for this thread. I’m out of that topic and I don’t want to get involve with that kind of conversations.

I want also popcorns!!! hahaha

wag mo kami kakalimutan pag isa ka ng sikat na dj!  just get the most gigs you can, so you hone your craft.  play the crowd always.  they're puppets with us dj's pullin them strings.

:-D :-D :-D
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:05 PM »
I think that subject will have to be taken elsewhere, Mikey. It's a private matter between the parties involved and it should not have been brought out in this thread in the first place.

agreed but it would have been nice had the project pushed through. i would have bought a CD or two to support the project and push local promotion of music a bit more. oh well, you win some you lose some. keep on making and mixing good music you guys (and girls - hindi natin kalimutan si Hazel!)! back to regular programming!

here is a topic to rekindle the thread's spirit: For the experienced folk, what do you wish you had then to make your DJ gigs easier? I think the DJs starting off could benefit from this discussion so they can make smarter investments in gear. For me, I would say the availability of Serato, FSL and Torq are wonderful tools because you can bridge vinyl with the need to test out self-produced tracks live without having to burn a CD, or worse, press test vinyl batches just to play your tracks live. In a lot of cases, I have done my track revisions based on what I see on the floor when it occurs to me that a track could greatly benefit from a breakdown here, a cut bass here and synthline there..you know.

Input?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:15:32 PM by abyssinianson »

Offline karlo

« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2008, 02:46:28 AM »
Not to mention no longer having to go through hell and high water just to buy music to play. Especially in a country with no decently stocked record stores. You can just grab some tunes off an up-to-date blog and drop them into a set later that night. Or go to emusic or itunes or beatport. (or piratebay for that matter if you're down with that).

Of course, some people will fuss over the quality of mp3s relative to wavs or other lossless formats, but I've read a bunch of interviews of big-time DJs who've admitted to scouring dance music blogs for music to play. I'm curious: Would any of the DJs here play a 192kbps mp3 in a club environment? Is 256 good enough? Or 320 always?

I hear FSL's future looks bleak after the split with NI though, since NI developed the software. Hope Traktor scratch takes off.

Also, is there any dj mixer available locally with crossfaders for each freq band- hi, mid, low?
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2008, 02:59:29 AM »

Of course, some people will fuss over the quality of mp3s relative to wavs or other lossless formats, but I've read a bunch of interviews of big-time DJs who've admitted to scouring dance music blogs for music to play. I'm curious: Would any of the DJs here play a 192kbps mp3 in a club environment? Is 256 good enough? Or 320 always?

My unqualified opinion : on a floor full of extacy-shot people, it wouldn't matter one bit :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2008, 05:09:25 AM »
My unqualified opinion : on a floor full of extacy-shot people, it wouldn't matter one bit :D

that is true, when ravers used to "roll" during gigs, it occured to me that even if I was pushing a Pilita Corales oldie to a tech 4/4 beat, the kids wouldn't even care!

Offline loudchild

« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »
^^^ true that. hehehehe minsan nga ang sasaway lang or makapansin e yung club owner. i remember dropping rico mambo in the middle of a techno beat hehehehe. di naman napansin but i dont think lahat sila that time. sa  gitna naman ng set ko ginawa so everyone was already into the groove na. ung owner lang nakapansin tinanong sino artist.sabi ko sinabay ko lang yung kanta hahahahahaha

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
one time, i was so "out of it", that i had trouble mixin in the next song.  even though i had those 10 minute remixes, inabutan ako ng dead air!  haha.  so i just threw my hands in the air.  nag-hiyawan yun crowd, in a positive way.  then i slammed in the next track.  with their altered states, they probably thought i was just playin with them.  haha.  theatrics man!  dj's are like puppeteers!

:-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:34:11 AM by x_taxi »
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline junkers

« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »
i think i also had a share of good ole dj'ing days, anyone tried using an "electown" belt drive turntables, with a crappy 2 chnnel mixer, with a "squishhhh, squisssh" sound eveytime you're trying to push the channel fader up... :-D

**Yes sir ako din nag-start sa belt drive na electown turntables nung early 1990's na pina-patungan pa ng 25 cents na coin para lang bumigat yung weight nung stylus, pero ok yung pitch control masarap din gamitin pag nagpa-practice ng spinning. Masaya nung time na yun marami kasing gumamit nyan kahit sa 89 dmz mobile circuit mga mobile na taga-novaliches marami ang nagsimula dyan.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:55:28 AM by junkers »

Offline karlo

« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2008, 01:01:19 PM »

What if they're not drugged?  :-D
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline karlo

« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »
:-D

hmmmm mackie universal control, toneport ux8..

Love Never Dies

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2008, 02:18:19 PM »
Uhmmm... that's a Projectmix I/O and what appears to be a Profire 2626, though I'm not sure. The preamp is a Presonus Bluetube and who could miss the G5 on the floor and the Waves NPP on the windowsill?