hulika

Author Topic: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?  (Read 57918 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
karlo and x_taxi brought up good points. the performance factor of being a DJ is key, afterall THAT is why you are getting gigs in the first place so that people can watch you, be entertained and have a good time. Hawtin and Acquaviva have been around a long time and they were the first two cats on the club circuit I saw using FS years before it got licensed to Stanton. Both guys are very much into technology which is great but they still know the main role of the DJ and they do it well: entertain the crowd. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of technology to play your music, you just have to be sure that you are catering to the crowd and giving the business a good run to earn more gigs and, if possible, keep it interesting for your own sake too. I have no qualms with using controllers, that is cool too and I've done my own share of techno gigs with ancient Kawai Q80s and Alesis MMT-8s hooked up to MPCs and synths, and like many others before me I did so in order to keep the dancefloor going through whatever means necessary whether it was through the use of turntable skills or through live remixing with hardware gear. You gotta earn the cheese, man, and to do so you have to have some chops and appeal to get the gigs.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xaero

« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »
gusto ko rin sana maging dj. baka meron dyan na nakakabasa ng thread na pwede sana mapagtanungan minus the attitude ala drill sargento. I have no idea sa brands and stuff but I know and love playing music. I have original compositions recorded with a band and gusto ko sana matuto how to remix them live or recorded. what do you call a guy who does remixes? dj din ba? kasi meron mga studios here who can do remixes pero di naman dj ang gumagawa. is it possible to do the remix on a live setup? if so? how? Thanks in advance

Offline yeOj01

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »
saan kaya ako makakabili ng mga murang turntables at mixer kahit second hand lang? ok ba ang numark battlepak? meron kayang second hand na ganun? 27-28k kasi ung brand new e. hope you can help! SALAMAT at MABUHAY kayo!
it's just a matter of perception.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »
gusto ko rin sana maging dj. baka meron dyan na nakakabasa ng thread na pwede sana mapagtanungan minus the attitude ala drill sargento. I have no idea sa brands and stuff but I know and love playing music. I have original compositions recorded with a band and gusto ko sana matuto how to remix them live or recorded. what do you call a guy who does remixes? dj din ba? kasi meron mga studios here who can do remixes pero di naman dj ang gumagawa. is it possible to do the remix on a live setup? if so? how? Thanks in advance

@xaero: sorry if the previous posts sound like a drill instructor but, frankly, that is how things are and everyone has to either learn it while they are going through it (the hard way when no one tells you jacksh*t), or someone has to lay it out for them so they can avoid the pitfalls later on (my preferred way so I don't look like an idiot when I gig), you know? my main beef with the previous posts is the fact that some folks try and pass one thing as turntableism and DJing when they could easily ask a question to clarify things because there are key differences that the uninitiated may not know. there is no shame in asking and I had my own share of questions when I first started. remember, no question is too stupid or too simple - the only stupid thing is if you assume you know something when you really don't so ask away and someone will help you.

to answer your questions, there are a lot of brands to cater to what you want to do. A DJ does many things and years ago a DJ really didn't make tracks (called producing) so they just played records. Overtime Djs diversified and started remixing, these folks are usually referred to as DJ/ Producers because they play records live and make music too in the form of unique compositions or remixes of other songs. You can do remixes as a bootleg or you can be managed by an agency through which other folks contact you for project commission work.

DJs either work out of their own studios or go to a larger studio to do tracking with better equipment. These days, equipment is easily available to the common person but know that recording quality usually requires more money - the better quality you want, the more money you gotta spend for equipment. Remixing live is a little bit different and recording quality doesn't matter as much as latency and stability in your recording rig. Companies like Ableton (software) and companies like M-Audio provide hardware that you can use to trigger samples and play tracks live. You can invest in a live remixing system with nothing more than a laptop, an audio interface and a MIDI keyboard mapped to trigger samples of a song you made or remix stems you got from somewhere.

if you are more interested in remixing live, you may not need to invest in turntables because remixing requires the manipulation of tracks to perform a set live. this process involves the use of a laptop, software, plugins and a hardware controller with knobs, keys, buttons and sometimes an IR detector so you can manipulate modulation of a sample live. all these pieces of equipment are geared to make your remixes come alive when you hit the stage and make your performance more exciting for you AND your audience.

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2008, 03:42:16 AM »
.. "post a video of your self" and do a, english language with your "eyes closed." ano kaya ba? patingin nga,... hehe.. the mind is more important than your mouth..

Posted on: Kahapon at 10:43:05 AMPosted by: chito_eoi 
Insert Quote
This is the most STUPID quote i ever read here at Philmusic.
Funny how newbies act as if they know everything

Funny how newbies act as if they know everything!  :wink: "
edi madami kapala alam? [grape] po kasi ako eh,  8-) ang problem lang, nag tataka lang ako kung bakit naitindihan mo at nalaman mo na ang qoute ko ay isa palang stupid qoute? ang alam ko stupid din ang makakapag sabi at makakaintindi na stupid qoute yun.. hehe.. sorry peace ulit.. kasi naman.. stupid na nga, pinatulan pa.. mas malala ata yung ganun..

the real thing na matatawag kalang na idiot.. is if you have any gears for mixing, and mix your songs or tracks like an idiot.. sa tagalog po.. mag mumuka ka lang "[chewbacca]" kung ang mix mo ay mix "[chewbacca]" kahit ano pa ang gamit mo..

i don't ask questions to other as long na kaya kung alamin sa sarili ko.. lahat po tayo tao at lahat tayo kayang alamin kung ano ang gustung alamin sa sarili.. ok lang naman din ang tumulong.. at mag patulong.. pero, pipiliin ko lang kung sino ang gusto kung tutulong saakin at ang makakakatulong saakin.. at kayo narin nag sabi..na wag kayung mag magaling kung hindi nyo alam.. for me.. hindi naman tayo ang gumawa ng turntables or nag imbento ng ganito at ganyan.. kaya wala rin po tayo karapatan mag sabi sa isat-isa na wala kang alam at ako meron..

sa mga nakaka basa ng mga post ko dito.. binibigyan nyo lang ng sakit ng ulo sarili nyo.. nag tatanong kayo kung tama ba o mali yung post ko.. tapos pag sinabi kung tama naman.. aangal kayo na mali.. edi wag nalang nyo sagutin o tanuning mga post ko kung tama pala kayo at ako ang mali.. wala rin eh.. kapag nag post ako.. aangal kayo.. pag pinaliwanag ko.. aangal kayo.. kahit naman hindi yun ang paliwanag ko.. iba naman ang pag kainitindi nyo.. kaya wala hahaba lang at sasakit lang ulo nyo sa mga ginagawa nyo..

mali na po ako kung mali.. edi sige kayo na ang professional dj.. walang problema saakin yun.. hehe nag iinjoy ako mag mix kahit hindi ako dj.. at masaya ako.. wala ako problem kung manalo kayo at kayo ang tama..

uulitin ko lang po ang pag kakaintindi ko sa "DJ" ang dj is a Disk Jockey. at ang disk jockey ay nag bibigay ng request ng mga tao kung ano ang gusto nilang marinig na songs... and giving any songs a Opportunity  to be played live for all.. yun lang po yun.. a dj is a dj kahit ano pa ang gears nya..

sa mga turntables and other dj gears.. mga palamuti, equipments, effects, and provide tecniques for mixing. at nakasanayan na dj looks lang yan..

nang dahil lang sa mga dj gears na yan eh nag kanda kalat-kalat na ang paniniwala sa pagiging isang dj.. at kung ano ano pa ang dapat ipag malaki kapag gusto mo maging dj.. its so sad talaga...

it's so sad na ang professional ay hindi na alam yan. kaya nga parang hindi ko din maisip kung professional nga dito,. review naman po dyan.. hindi naman sa marami akung alam pero alam ko talaga, ganun yun..

kung ano po ang paliwanag nyo sa isat-isa edi kanya kanyang tama nalang yan.. kaysa mag paliwanag ka pa eh mamasamain pa ng iba..bka naman away na ang hanap nyo.. out po ako dyan hahaha..

sory pero

injoy ko life ko.. at diko kailangan mag ka problema sa mga post nyo.. sige kayo-kayo nalang mag usap dyan ha.. sa susunod kasi, gawa kayo sarili nyung "TUTORIAL" website. para kung may mag tanong lang na threader eh kayo lang ang makakapag usap at walang ibang mag bibigay ng idea or tulong nila.. ok po ba.. ang pumatol sa stupid message ko na to.. eh stupid din. maliwanag po ba.. sige bye bye mga professionals.. sana maging mahusay pakayo lalo..

masarap pa nung nasa banda ako.. dami ko pa kaibigan kahit na electric guitar lang hawak ko.. kay sa dj. dami ka kompitensya.. ma pride ang iba. at iba naman hindi ka matanggap..

saya-saya ko ngayon oh.. kagagaling ko lang gig.. at talagang nag injoy kami.. walang ka problema, problema.. hehe..

sya nga pala.. bago ako ako umalis sa thread na to.. pakita ko ang pinaka love na love at pinakainiingat ingatan kung si "Reyzuna" ang aking COmputer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkMcAU4pIhc
:-)

sige
good luck.. god bless as all..

practice ang injoy.. good music everyday..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:04:59 AM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »
wow i just pulled an all-nighter at nawala lahat ng pagod ko ng mabasa ko ulit tong thread. injoy!!!

the real thing na matatawag kalang na idiot.. is if you have any gears for mixing, and mix your songs or tracks like an idiot.. sa tagalog po.. mag mumuka ka lang "[chewbacca]" kung ang mix mo ay mix "[chewbacca]" kahit ano pa ang gamit mo..

i've listened to your "mixes" bro and from what i heard, its pretty close to what you described. im not calling you an idiot or [chewbacca] directly but your mix output does not relate to your gear. mixing like an idiot has more to do with music choices more than anything else.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
wow - so to all the studio owners here, the gear that we invest in to record and help record music is nothing more than "para looks lang" and is all due to having something na "ipagmamalaki?" i honestly can't defend against this rational because the logic escapes me. i seriously have nothing to say. :?

but peeves is right. the "[chewbacca]" label would be directed against the lack of performance by the "[chewbacca]" DJ as a result of not knowing what to do, how to conduct a proper gig and what skills to have so you don't appear "[chewbacca]" in front of a paying audience and potential booking customers. am i calling anyone in specific "[chewbacca]?" no. i am simply saying that if you don't do your homework you will look like a "[chewbacca]" in front of paying customers.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:28:25 PM by abyssinianson »

Offline loudchild

« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
kagagaling ko lang sa gig kagabi opening ng isang bar ng isa sa mga forumer natin dito sa philmusic.eto yung pic nung poster.nakakatuwa kasi grabe yung support sa akin and in turn sana nasuklian ko ng magandang performance. kay sir Lau salamat sir sana sa octoberfest mainvite ako hehehehe.Guys, check the place if ever mapadpad kayo dun ang name ng Bar is shoop sa Angeles pampanga.

now going back sa topic, i used a numark total control kagabi and base dun sa reaction ng crowd although di ganun kalaki yung place napuno naman namin and madami namang sumyaw kahit wala talgang dance floor. they even had to remove yung  tables para makasayaw lang sila. the key talaga is to interact with the crowd. dapat yung energy mo e mapasa mo sa kanila kahit ano pa  yung gamit mo pero syempre yung skills mo nandun din.kung baga sa talent show o dance contest, musicality and showmanship plays a big part.ulitin ko ha "its the indian not the pana."yun ngang bar na katabi ko pc lang ang set up.walang kahit anong controler. pero yung dj may mic to hype the crowd. ok din naman e. in the end sobrang saya.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 03:42:06 PM by loudchild »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
now going back sa topic, i used a numark total control kagabi and base dun sa reaction ng crowd although di ganun kalaki yung place napuno naman namin and madami namang sumyaw kahit wala talgang dance floor. they even had to remove yung  tables para makasayaw lang sila. the key talaga is to interact with the crowd. dapat yung energy mo e mapasa mo sa kanila kahit ano pa  yung gamit mo pero syempre yung skills mo nandun din.kung baga sa talent show o dance contest, musicality and showmanship plays a big part.ulitin ko ha "its the indian not the pana."yun ngang bar na katabi ko pc lang ang set up.walang kahit anong controler. pero yung dj may mic to hype the crowd. ok din naman e. in the end sobrang saya.

you are right and yun ang point ko na you have to have the skills to play a good gig. equipment plays a role in it as well but not as much as skills, ethic and the know-how to do what you need to do to bring a crowd in. the crowd may not care what you use but you do have to make it worth their while to be entertained regardless of how ikaw nag-injoy sa life mo - if i am paying money to see some "DJ" perform I expect just that and performing better not involve nothing more than a mouse, clicking songs and a laptop.

granted, maybe dualcoil's idea of a DJ is very different from mine and the rest of the club circuit I've been involved in, this may be true. regardless, you still have to have some skills which inevitably involve putting practice in and knowing your standard DJ equipment whether you own them or not.

Offline karlo

« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »
If you had to do a scale of the different aspects of dj'ing for a crowd that just wants to dance, and who won't be listening with a dj's ears, i'd say that track selection would be right on top.

Of course, you'd have to use the your other skills as well para wag mag train wreck.
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »
If you had to do a scale of the different aspects of dj'ing for a crowd that just wants to dance, and who won't be listening with a dj's ears, i'd say that track selection would be right on top.

Of course, you'd have to use the your other skills as well para wag mag train wreck.

remember that it does not require a DJ's ears to know outright that a song is choppily mixed and the person might not know what they are doing if it happens so many times during a set.

Offline karlo

« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »
remember that it does not require a DJ's ears to know outright that a song is choppily mixed and the person might not know what they are doing if it happens so many times during a set.

Oh for sure. I agree completely. But if it's just the sporadic little mixing mix-up then it's usually the dj who gets most frustrated, or at least that's the case sa mga gigs ko. Parang magugulat ako na hindi napansin ng iba yung akala ko sobrang obvious na mistake.

But of course, a train wreck's a train wreck for whoever's listening. I've crashed and burned many times and it's the worst thing, but there's no one else to blame but myself really. You have to put in a lot work to get to the point where you're not selling the audience short when you play out. I still consider myself a beginner basically- I pick up new things every time I power on my gear and play.
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:54 PM »
kagagaling ko lang sa gig kagabi opening ng isang bar ng isa sa mga forumer natin dito sa philmusic.eto yung pic nung poster.nakakatuwa kasi grabe yung support sa akin and in turn sana nasuklian ko ng magandang performance. kay sir Lau salamat sir sana sa octoberfest mainvite ako hehehehe.Guys, check the place if ever mapadpad kayo dun ang name ng Bar is shoop sa Angeles pampanga.

ive seen and tried ng NUMARK TOTAL CONTROL.

Maganda sya pati mga faders nya. Makakapag scratch din kahit maliit yung rubber plate nya. The thing about it eh nandun na din ang mga controls ng mga ibang effects.
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline karlo

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
Man, how much is your friend selling his pair of 1200's again?

Love Never Dies

Offline loudchild

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2008, 11:01:41 PM »
the total control's actually the third controler na nagamit ko. una yung x session na sobrang compact. THe downside of it is medo limited yung controls and you have to assign and configure the buttons.

second is the behringer bcd2000. Ok naman sya kaso parang laruan hehehehe. Madami ding bugs and its not compatible sa mac.

The total control works best for me so far. It avoids the use of the mouse as much as possible and wala gaanong bugs.medyo maliit nga lang and masikip yung button layout.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »
Oh for sure. I agree completely. But if it's just the sporadic little mixing mix-up then it's usually the dj who gets most frustrated, or at least that's the case sa mga gigs ko. Parang magugulat ako na hindi napansin ng iba yung akala ko sobrang obvious na mistake.

But of course, a train wreck's a train wreck for whoever's listening. I've crashed and burned many times and it's the worst thing, but there's no one else to blame but myself really. You have to put in a lot work to get to the point where you're not selling the audience short when you play out. I still consider myself a beginner basically- I pick up new things every time I power on my gear and play.

yeah - i am the same way but just enjoy what you do and keep with it for the love of the art. if you are not trainwrecking as much, then things can only get better with practice. if people don't notice mistakes as much, that can only mean that you are doing such a good job that the mistake was just a small hiccup. good job!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2008, 12:53:10 AM »
Man, how much is your friend selling his pair of 1200's again?

yung friend ko 40K ang benta with a Stanton SA5 mixer.

Pero yung pinost ko na nakita ko sa sulit.com.ph 30K lang ata. Pero di ako convince sa looks sa pics. feeling ko madami pang papagawa dun. Pero malay mo baka maayos pa naman.

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2008, 01:41:03 AM »
@xjepoyx
Have you ever got your self a gig? Coz your always on this thread and keep on sending me pms.. (Personal Messages) and you want to teach me and inform me information’s? How weird that even the meaning of a “DJ” you can’t explain its simple meaning.

That’s ok. But think wise dude; you’re not a dj tutor, for real. You only got your kit and that’s all, and read some information’s here at the Internet.

Kung pwede po. Iba nalang turuan nyo.. Thanks anyway. Stop sending me any message ok, do as you want here at the thread. Kasi hindi lang po ako gumagamit ng yahoo messanger ko.. thanks and sana maunawaan mo kung true na maintindihin ka.. at kung true na professional ka..

For

@abyssinianson
Sorry if I already said that its my last post at the top messages. Clear ko lang po. If you have a gig or a party to service with, are you alone to handle the entire crowd? Because when I do gigs, I have three members who come along with me and help me perform and do other things, like set up the speakers and gears. And the other one is my negotiator. and specially we always do shift after 1hour when dj-ing.

Sana maintindihan hehe English 1 lang naman yan..

Kaya po ba nyo mag isa sa gig? Kasi yung iba kasama pa nga manager and other crew na mag organized ng ibang kailanagn.. kasi ako hindi ko kaya yung ganun kapag ako lang mag isa..

And if I do gig by my self, there is a possible that anything could go wrong, so I do not gig by my own. How about the other djs?

And some questions I’d like to clear like
The difference of a PCDJ and A DJ that use turntables,

I’m one of the PCDJs  that use dj programs software.. but other said that  a dj uses a software program or just a PC are fake. Is this true? Coz for me it is not. This is being a practical dj. I mean I don’t like carrying so many vinyl at my gig and suddenly when I choose music I go “OH my god, where is that vinyl that has the song I’m looking for, the track will end at 3 minutes and I could not find that piece of Crap!”

So yan ang dahilan kung bakit nag switch ako sa PCDJ pero it doesn’t mean that I don’t like vinyl turntables anymore, I still like them but I like the upgraded usb style now, 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:09:43 PM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »
@abyssinianson
wow - so to all the studio owners here, the gear that we invest in to record and help record music is nothing more than "para looks lang" and is all due to having something na "ipagmamalaki?" i honestly can't defend against this rational because the logic escapes me. i seriously have nothing to say.

na misunderstood nyo po yung message ko na

sa mga turntables and other dj gears.. mga palamuti, equipments, effects, and provide tecniques for mixing. at nakasanayan na dj looks lang yan..

Its clear that what I’m talking about is just that other gears that came out from the market are for more improved effects and looks for a dj, that a dj wants. and thats all.

Dati naman wala naman ganyang mga HD dj gears eh matatawag kanang dj kahit two tape decks lang ang ginagamit mo or some old stuff that you use back at the past
Reyzuna!!!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2008, 05:01:32 AM »
@xjepoyx
Have you ever got your self a gig? Coz your always on this thread and keep on sending me pms.. (Personal Messages) and you want to teach me and inform me information’s?

Dude wag ka masyadong hambog!

GIG ba kamo? dami! check out our myspace...

Katatapos lang ng gig namin Yesterday sa Mag-Net Katipunan

Sept 27 - Gig with DJ Supreme Fist and DJ Gugoo

Oct 1 - Gig with my Band at Bacolod City - Event ng isang malaking company dun

Oct 2 - Gig with my Band @ Mayrics

Oct 4 - Gig with my Band @ Freedom Bar

BTW im the Turntableist for my Band

Madami pang gig... check mo na lang myspace namin para malula ka

Gig as a DJ? I use to play for Equinox, Jaloux and Mars during late 90's

kaya dont give me that crap na katanungan

I dont do gigs as a DJ no more coz i focus more on my band and my Recording Studio.

I only jam sa mga gigs ng mga barkada kong tabliest

You're nothing more but a POSER kaya STOP being someone you're not!

Ano PINAGMAMALAKI MO? yung MOBILE SYSTEM MONG BULOK BULOK NA SPEAKERS?

DI NA RIN USO YANG MGA LIGHTS MO! PUROS ROBOSCAN NA ANG USO NGAYON FYI!

yan na ang gig na pinag mamalaki mo?

bwahahahahaha

http://profiles.friendster.com/15220133

na ngayon ginawa mo pang private na yung friendster mo dahil nakakahiya talaga ng itsura ng mga gamit mo sa mobile system

buti na lang may nagrerent pa sayo?

yung mga walang budget sa sound system lang siguro nag rerent sayo... yung mga sa kanto kanto lang na "GIG"

o sa BARANGGAY lang!!

ANG TAWAG NUNG ARAW SA GANYANG SOUND SYSTEM EH TEKA TEKA MOBILE

kung ako sayo tumantan ka na!!!

How weird that even the meaning of a “DJ” you can’t explain its simple meaning.

OO na magaling ka na! kahit mali mali ang definition mo ng DJ

bwahahahahahaha

[grape]!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:13:04 AM by xjepoyx »

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2008, 05:45:01 AM »
@dualcoil
Eto pala ang tawag na sayo ng ibang tao na kakilala kong napapagusapan ka na dito

EPAL!

E P A L I T E (noun)
Etymology From Filipino word epal.Pronunciation /eh pal AYT/

1. (obsolete) A person of borderline intelligence in the former classification of mental retardation with an emotional quotient of 0-2 and who pretends to be and acts like someone who is not.

2. (informal) A person who makes uncool, unfunny, uninteresting, or irrelevant attempts to impress others and draw attention to himself, especially in a flawed attempt to act like who knows everything.

Usage notes: Though originally a psychological, clinical, and medical term, it is currently used as a pejorative term against someone of low intelligence, or even as just a general pejorative. Current term for having delusions of pretending to be a MASTER of something.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:47:14 AM by xjepoyx »

Offline Stay Defiant

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2008, 06:05:32 AM »
tol practice lang ng practice. hindi po sa pera, dedication ito talaga sa amin. gaano man kabigat, gaano man matagal magsetup, talagang mahal namin itong plastic na ito.
naalala ko pa noon nung nakita ko si DJ Arbie 1 sa TV, ayon ang gusto kong gawin sa buhay, mag paikot-ikot ng plaka.

nagsimula ako sa tape deck at yung record player ng nanay ko, ngayon technics 1200s na. sumasali lang ako sa mga competition (naging second place ako :-)) pero hindi pa ako nag-gig dahil gusto ko talagang mamaster muna lahat bago magtugtug sa iba.

3 minutes, thats plenty of time. try mo 15 secs.
yung mga records ko memorize ko from back to front :-). naka arrange sa BPM (slow to fast).

hindi lang namin gusto yung mga PC DJ dahil minsan ginagamit nila yung automatic mix, lahat ng hirap sa pagDJ ginagawa na sa iyo.
ika nga "The lost art of DJing"

And some questions I’d like to clear like
The deference of a PCDJ and A DJ that use turntables,

I’m one of the PCDJs  that use dj programs software.. but other said that  a dj uses a software program or just a PC are fake. Is this true? Coz for me it is not. This is being a practical dj. I mean I don’t like carrying so many vinyl at my gig and suddenly when I choose music I go “OH my god, where is that vinyl that has the song I’m looking for, the track will end at 3 minutes and I could not find that piece of Crap!”
...must not sleep...must warn others.

Offline loudchild

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2008, 06:40:03 AM »
Royal rumble na naman pala dito......

Happy place na naman tuloy yung thread hehehehe

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »
Royal rumble na naman pala dito......

Happy place na naman tuloy yung thread hehehehe

tahimik naman tayo pag walang epal eh

hehehe

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2008, 07:16:13 AM »
uulitin ko lang po ang pag kakaintindi ko sa "DJ" ang dj is a Disk Jockey.

Pasali lang mga kapatid.

You might wanna correct yourself. There's a huge difference between "disk" and "disc". I think DJ stands for "disC jockey", in which the "disc" refers to the vinyl record, and when the term evolved, it began to refer to the compact disc or CD as well. The word "disk" is used to denote some form of magnetic media, such as a hard disk.

...Well, unless you're swapping hard disks during your gig, in which case you may have a point, but still not in the traditional sense.

Paki-Ingles lang po ang ini-Ingles ninyo. Haha.  :evil:

at ang disk jockey ay nag bibigay ng request ng mga tao kung ano ang gusto nilang marinig na songs... and giving any songs a Opportunity 

Wow. DJ din pala ako kung ganoon. Kasi, pag tumtugtog ako sa banda ko (I'm a keyboardist), pag may inaabot sa akin na request slip o kahit request na nakasulat sa tissue paper, balat ng bubble gum, panyo, medyas, o kahit basahan, kung alam ko yung kanta, eh tinutugtog ko.  :-P

Aaaah. Kaya pala, "Mr. DJ, can I make a request?"...

to be played live for all..

Oo nga...

...Live kong tinutugtog.  :?

(O kailangan ba Ableton Live? hehe.)

a dj is a dj kahit ano pa ang gears nya..

Meron ding DJ na walang gamit. Puwede rin iyon. Maghihiram o mag-aarkila lang naman ng gamit eh.

Pero kung ang gamit mo pang-'manicure', manikurista ka. Pag gitara ang gamit mo, gitarista ka. Hindi DJ.

In that sense, it's important what gears you use, 'coz they help define what you are. :-D

Bale kung meron kang DJ'ing equipment, tapos gumagamit ka ng pang-'manicure', manikuristang DJ ka. Haha.

However, labels most of the time are just that. Labels. You can call the tallest man on earth, "shorty", but that won't make him any shorter. My request is, in the interest of promoting peace and harmony in these forums, please stop labeling other people. If they think they're DJ's, then let them be. Telling people that they're not what they think they are isn't really going to help anybody. It's not gonna help them, and it's not gonna help you. So why bother?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:17:20 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============