hulika

Author Topic: Which is better, guitar effects with preamp? or line-out will do?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
Can't find a related topic, so i'm making this one.

Which is be better for recording guitar with multiprocessor effects,
the one with a preamp? or the one without a preamp, but has a line-output?

thanks in advance for all your inputs.
br,
God bless
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

reycantong

Re: Which is better, guitar effects with preamp? or line-out will do?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:30:57 AM »
Some multifx users prefer to record with a preamp (or amp w/ cabs) during recording.  But for me, the balance line out will do. Mas malinis at mas madaling setup IMO. Nakukuha ko naman yung gusto kong sound.

If your multifx have simulations, try to work around it to get your desired tone. Or better yet, try both setup (with preamp and line out)  :-) Record your guitar part with both setup then compare both recorded tracks later (or you can even blend the two tracks para mas makapal)

What's your multifx ba sir?

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »
try both.  :-D

why? because i have something in mind that an already good sounding setup can be done without a preamp but getting one would probably be better so it's worth the buy.

so, kung ganito ang mga possibleng setup as i see,
1.) guitar -> multifx -> pre-amp -> interface -> recording gear
2.) guitar -> multifx -> interface -> recording gear

mukhang mas ok yung 1 kasi mareregulate mo yung signal from your multifx.
syempre, mapapaGAStos ka sa pre-amp pero ganun naman talaga.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:16:03 PM »
Some multifx users prefer to record with a preamp (or amp w/ cabs) during recording.  But for me, the balance line out will do. Mas malinis at mas madaling setup IMO. Nakukuha ko naman yung gusto kong sound.

If your multifx have simulations, try to work around it to get your desired tone. Or better yet, try both setup (with preamp and line out)  :-) Record your guitar part with both setup then compare both recorded tracks later (or you can even blend the two tracks para mas makapal)

What's your multifx ba sir?

Before i had the Zoom707II, but now i have a pocketPOD, just for the easy of portability.
But i'm planning to get a new effect or effects, since i'm planning to really come-up with my final sound.
I'm considering a Boss GT-5 or -6 (since it has the preamp function).
But its a bit to big & i'm afraid i won't be able to use all of the functions in it.
So another on my list is a Boss ME-50. Since it just has a line-out, so i think that will do as a preamp out, kinda thing. But i'm really not sure.

I very much appreciate for your input.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
try both.  :-D

why? because i have something in mind that an already good sounding setup can be done without a preamp but getting one would probably be better so it's worth the buy.

so, kung ganito ang mga possibleng setup as i see,
1.) guitar -> multifx -> pre-amp -> interface -> recording gear
2.) guitar -> multifx -> interface -> recording gear

mukhang mas ok yung 1 kasi mareregulate mo yung signal from your multifx.
syempre, mapapaGAStos ka sa pre-amp pero ganun naman talaga.  :-D

Yep, mapapagastos nga, but I get the point.
Thanks so much.

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:40:20 PM »
thanks for the inputs

reycantong & jamming_papu

more power.
God bless

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
If you are running thru a preamp, most guitarist would use a tube para mas warm ung tunog. But other would prefer processing the signal digitally. If you have a pod, madami ka na options dyan and your can make a decent warm tone out of it.

Try experimenting on a tapesim plugin to add to the guitar track. The effect is very dramatic and a lot of big help especially when giving body to the guitar on the mix.

reycantong

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »
Before i had the Zoom707II, but now i have a pocketPOD, just for the easy of portability.
But i'm planning to get a new effect or effects, since i'm planning to really come-up with my final sound.
I'm considering a Boss GT-5 or -6 (since it has the preamp function).
But its a bit to big & i'm afraid i won't be able to use all of the functions in it.
So another on my list is a Boss ME-50. Since it just has a line-out, so i think that will do as a preamp out, kinda thing. But i'm really not sure.

I very much appreciate for your input.

Try the Line6 PODxt Live (or POD X3 or any other POD). Great amp and fx simulations. Pati direct out nito have simulations. Great for directing to PA.

Guitar->POD->PA= Easy setup (hingi ka na lang ng monitor mo)

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »
i'll share some setup that i used and planning to use in the future

currently using
Guitar -> Amp (Line 6 15 W) -> Mixer -> M-audiosoundcard -> Studio monitor

with this setup, there is no need for a mic and the signal i get would be very clean. the monitor i use is the same in the mixdown. latency and accuracy is not a problem 'coz the soundcard does the job for these factors. the mixer serves as my pre-amp where i adjust the level, trim, and low mid high eq's. however, a mic less setup like this usually doesn't get the 'air' tone in the guitar track .

planned upgrade

Guitar -> Amp (Line 6 75 W) -> Microtube Pre-amp w/digital out ->
Soundcard ...

the bigger amp is capable of producing a wider range of tones because of the built in amp simulation. it's like having a multifx built-in to your amp. The preamp would help me in getting a warmer, louder, sweeter sound from the amp with or without using a mic. Using the digital out makes the signal clean.

... the preamp IMO, is very important because of its function in the signal chain.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu