hulika

Author Topic: ARTEC PEDALS  (Read 160990 times)

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ARTEC PEDALS
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
Just came from The Music Source today. I brought my Crybaby Classic to A/B it with the Artec APW-3. Kudos to the people at The Music Source for the great customer service. They even let me try the 5-watter Crate amp there. I didn't like it much, but good service nonetheless. :wink:

Alright, so in this A/B test.. other equipment I used included an off-the-shelf strat-style Aria guitar, and a (2x8?) Artec amp.

Construction-wise: Crybaby wins
Maybe it's just me; nasanay na ko sa bigat ng Crybaby. The APW-3 is considerably lighter than the Crybaby.. and the metal enclosure feels different. IMO, it felt like plastic at first, but I remembered reading specs na all-metal nga ito. The APW-3's frequency range knob felt a bit too easy to turn for me. Maybe I was expecting the same resistance as the pots from Boss, especially because Artec used the same kind of knob. You be the judge if it's just because of my OC tendencies. Hahaha. Finally, the APW-3 makes me think of a Morley slimmed down to just a bit wider than a Crybaby.

Features: APW-3 wins
The Crybaby is pretty much a no-frills kind of wah. No LED indicator, not true bypass either. Then again, I haven't really noticed too much tonesuck from the Crybaby.
The APW-3 on the other hand, has a red LED indicator, no wah pot to wear out, as well as a frequency range knob. The range knob, as far as I can remember, mainly controlled the highs of the wah (toe position). It wasn't as drastic as I expected or wanted, but worked nonetheless. When engaging & disengaging the wah, I didn't have to press as hard as I had to on the Crybaby.

Soundwise: I'm having a hard time deciding
I think everyone knows how a Crybaby sounds. As I expected, the APW-3 didn't have as much highs, or the 'shrillness' that others complain about. I also noticed that the sweep is a *tad* wider than the Crybaby. In addition, the APW-3's sweep is a bit more gradual.
Here comes the hard part - character. I'm not sure if it's because of the red Fasel inductor in the Crybaby, but the Crybaby has this character that's hard to fully describe. Whatever position you have the Crybaby in, it seems to boost the frequency that it's focused on.. and as a result, it has this "gnarly" tone. On the other hand, the APW-3 felt & sounded a bit more tamed & smooth.
Generally speaking, the two wah's sounded similar. The APW-3, priced at 2,595 (if I remember correctly), is good value for your money. It can come close to my Crybaby.

What bothers me now is if I should sell my Crybaby Classic to get the Artec APW-3.  :| I have a love-hate relationship with the Crybaby's 'character', and I can't really decide if I can live without that or not. The Artec's price is really tempting.. especially because my music doesn't always revolve around the wah sound.

What do you guys think? Help me! :-D

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »
Just came from The Music Source today. I brought my Crybaby Classic to A/B it with the Artec APW-3. Kudos to the people at The Music Source for the great customer service. They even let me try the 5-watter Crate amp there. I didn't like it much, but good service nonetheless. :wink:

Alright, so in this A/B test.. other equipment I used included an off-the-shelf strat-style Aria guitar, and a (2x8?) Artec amp.

Construction-wise: Crybaby wins
Maybe it's just me; nasanay na ko sa bigat ng Crybaby. The APW-3 is considerably lighter than the Crybaby.. and the metal enclosure feels different. IMO, it felt like plastic at first, but I remembered reading specs na all-metal nga ito. The APW-3's frequency range knob felt a bit too easy to turn for me. Maybe I was expecting the same resistance as the pots from Boss, especially because Artec used the same kind of knob. You be the judge if it's just because of my OC tendencies. Hahaha. Finally, the APW-3 makes me think of a Morley slimmed down to just a bit wider than a Crybaby.

Features: APW-3 wins
The Crybaby is pretty much a no-frills kind of wah. No LED indicator, not true bypass either. Then again, I haven't really noticed too much tonesuck from the Crybaby.
The APW-3 on the other hand, has a red LED indicator, no wah pot to wear out, as well as a frequency range knob. The range knob, as far as I can remember, mainly controlled the highs of the wah (toe position). It wasn't as drastic as I expected or wanted, but worked nonetheless. When engaging & disengaging the wah, I didn't have to press as hard as I had to on the Crybaby.

Soundwise: I'm having a hard time deciding
I think everyone knows how a Crybaby sounds. As I expected, the APW-3 didn't have as much highs, or the 'shrillness' that others complain about. I also noticed that the sweep is a *tad* wider than the Crybaby. In addition, the APW-3's sweep is a bit more gradual.
Here comes the hard part - character. I'm not sure if it's because of the red Fasel inductor in the Crybaby, but the Crybaby has this character that's hard to fully describe. Whatever position you have the Crybaby in, it seems to boost the frequency that it's focused on.. and as a result, it has this "gnarly" tone. On the other hand, the APW-3 felt & sounded a bit more tamed & smooth.
Generally speaking, the two wah's sounded similar. The APW-3, priced at 2,595 (if I remember correctly), is good value for your money. It can come close to my Crybaby.

What bothers me now is if I should sell my Crybaby Classic to get the Artec APW-3.  :| I have a love-hate relationship with the Crybaby's 'character', and I can't really decide if I can live without that or not. The Artec's price is really tempting.. especially because my music doesn't always revolve around the wah sound.

What do you guys think? Help me! :-D

get paycheck then buy  :-)

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »
yep yep. buy. hahah. pero don't throw away the crybaby. you'll regret it. hahah. i tried parting with the crybaby once pero bumalik din ako. <note: i havent heard the artec wah yet... hahah>
strum away!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2009, 01:31:38 AM »
i have 2 crybabys i cant sell them lol

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2009, 01:44:30 AM »
i have 2 crybabys i cant sell them lol

hahah. kitam...

back on topic though... current gas: resovibe. heheh
strum away!

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:22 AM »
I used to have a crybaby fuzz-wah. Yep, it's heavy and obviously can withstand anything. Tone needs no explanation I guess  :lol: (traded it for a boss multi by the way  :cry:)

But the APW-3, imho, still has that "malapot" tonal character I'm looking for in a wah. Honestly, I prefer this over the APW-5, but to be fair, the APW-5 sounds very good for bass (it has guitar/bass mode). You can ask the great masked man from Eternal Now about that.  :-D

@ Red_Strat - good luck! :lol: pero i think master strummer is right. whether you buy the APW-3 or not, keep the crybaby. well, kung bibilhin mo, at least napapahinga ung pot ng crybaby.  :-D
Yes, I'm no longer affiliated with TMS

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »
2,595 lang yung artec!  :-o
hindi na nga pinaghihinayangan yan!  :lol:

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2009, 01:29:19 AM »
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2009, 02:55:20 AM »
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2009, 04:21:10 AM »
i might grab an artec compressor  :-)

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »
this might be slightly inappropriate, but look who's using the twinhead:  :-o

yep, it's E. Now's Mr. Nobody..
even bassists can benefit from the true bypass circuitry since it preserves the natural sound of their instrument (the low end in particular)

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »
some sound samples of the Artec ADL-2 Analog Delay (as used by Junji Lerma):

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I just might keep my Crybaby after all.
I'll turn my GAS to a new overdrive pedal instead. Hehe. :-)

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
this might be slightly inappropriate, but look who's using the twinhead:  :-o

yep, it's E. Now's Mr. Nobody..
even bassists can benefit from the true bypass circuitry since it preserves the natural sound of their instrument (the low end in particular)

Sir daks pati ba naman si sir RoJ hehehehe :-D :-D
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »
I recently bought an Artec ADL-2 at one stop music and was able to try the twinhead as well, I find it ridiculous that people take these artec pedals for granted, if it wasn't for my BK Butler Tube Driver I would have bought the twin head as well, why buy a DS-1 or DS-2 when the twin head sounds a lot better, is more versatile and is much cheaper brand new. :lol:

The ADL-2 simply blew me away, boutique quality analog delay for like quarter or eighth of the usual boutique pedal price, and the good guys at One Stop Music gave a discount as well. :lol:

I might get the EQ/Tuner pedal next, which they are selling for a low price, I was even laughing when I found out how much they sell their artec pedals, dati someone was selling the same pedal for much more sa classifieds, and it was used! :lol:

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
@wh1t33rick - ganun "ka-true" yung true bypass

@Red_Strat - syempre, baka ikaw ang maging crybaby pag dinispatsa mo yan! :-D try the duo drive or the blues overdrive anyway :lol:

@fraudulentzodiac -kung ayaw mo nung reverb ng Crate V50 mo, yan na ang pwedeng solusyon  :-D

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I just might keep my Crybaby after all.
I'll turn my GAS to a new overdrive pedal instead. Hehe. :-)

have it true bypassed na lang para swak. heheh. im planning to buy a crybaby nga para i-mod lang eh. tbp, fasel, etc. heheh. i have a 535q kasi, swak na pero im missing my gcb95..  :-D. if i sell my items myt get an od rin. hehe
strum away!

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »
Artec released an Octave Driver in MusikMesse '09  :-o

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,132179.15.html

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
I just bought their eq-tuner. Sulit sya. EQ seems transparent (at the low volume I had my amp on, no diff between neutral position and off position), tuner tracks decently fast. True bypass din.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »
got the fuzztown!  the pedal was painted dirty and sounds as gritty as it looks!  was a toss up between this and a big muff.  but bein the cheapskate that i am...

i like the blues overdrive as well when i tested the boost pedals they had in stock over at the music source.  very responsive to playing dynamics.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline aya13allen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
Prices galing sa The Pocket....

The Music Source: 376-4598
SPL: 735-5440
HiFi Lounge: 842-8133

Bass equalizer & chromatic tuner - 2,995 pesos
Vintage Chorus - 2,895 pesos
Vintage Phase Shifter - 2,595 pesos
Big Dots Tuner - 2,995 pesos
Twin Head - 3,295 pesos
Analog Delay (version 2) - 3,995 pesos

8 channel Power Brick - 3,295 pesos

also try out these pedals:

Duo Drive Blender - 1,995 pesos
Turbo Compressor - 1,995 pesos
70's Drive Blender - 2,295 pesos
Crazy Metal - 2,395 pesos
Blues Overdrive - 2,395 pesos
Soloist Distortion - 2,395 pesos
Analog Delay (version 1) - 2,495 pesos
Vintage Tremolo - 2,495 pesos
Parametric Eq - 2,495 pesos
Classic Fuzztown - 2,895
Cool Drive - 2,995 pesos

ayos nito ah.. reasonable price
No Food + No Shelter = No Gear

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2009, 12:15:40 AM »
ayos nito ah.. reasonable price
kung di nagbrown out baka nakapagtest pa tayo sa TMS. hehe
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
got the fuzztown!  the pedal was painted dirty and sounds as gritty as it looks!  was a toss up between this and a big muff.  but bein the cheapskate that i am...

i like the blues overdrive as well when i tested the boost pedals they had in stock over at the music source.  very responsive to playing dynamics.

para ngang big muff (ung white fuzz nya). The blues overdrive doesn't have as much gain / grit as the Boss BD-2, but it's very responsive and thick, good for boosting
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:05:37 PM by dakuykoy »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
para ngang big muff (ung white fuzz nya). The blues overdrive doesn't have as much gain / grit as the Boss BD-2, but it's very responsive and thick, good for boosting

the white fuzz did sound like a big muff.  when i tried the white with just a bit of black, i got an tech21 xxl fuzz-ish out-of-phase tone.  it sounds great with a nice tube amp.

will probably get the blues overdrive when the itch comes.

:-) :-) :-)

:razz::razz::razz: