hulika

Author Topic: First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines  (Read 122764 times)

Offline markflo

First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2006, 02:11:05 AM »
you change gears...upgrade or whatever...because of a variety of reasons...change music...change styles...to brag about it with your peers hint hint...that's why people upgrade...

there is a bare minimum...and it's not $4K ...it's not even $300...

if you want...i can show you that tone is indeed, in the fingers...

Quote from: skunkyfunk
Quote from: markflo
even if you played the living crap out of it live...it's still not worth the $3200 more...that's just plain crazy...it sounds like someone's compensating for whatever he or she is lacking...

The bottomline is you have to be inspired to play.  I don't think Neil Peart would prefer a Fernando kit for gigs, but surely he'll smoke through it.  MOreso with his DW sig model kit.

And also, there is such a thing as a bare minimum.  If 'tone' was really just in the fingers, why would people want to upgrade and upgrade gear until they get satisfied?  Then look back at the gear you used to own.  Maybe you would start ditching some for good.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2006, 02:12:15 AM »
Quote from: Phil
Duh, you can afford a $4k amp but can't afford a roadie?
you'd be surprise how much rodies make here, dude....it's like a career here.

...besides you only spend $4k once for the amp.

OH GOD I WANNA BE A ROADIE IN CA!   (Seriously)

....GET IN LINE......the popular bands usually hire the really experienced ones.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2006, 02:16:40 AM »
Yes, that matters. . Matagal ng gustong malaman ng mga forumites here are

1:) kung talagang maganda ang tone nya.
2:) marunong syang mag gitara or puro lang sya salita.

Like what I said in my previous post, Herbert sounds good but other amps can get the same sound and I have to test it myself. That's my opinion. So, now, 2 out of 2, all I want to know (and probably some of the forumites here, as well) is whether that was Oasgomez playing guitar or not? Just a simple question. Thanks. :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2006, 02:19:54 AM »
Quote from: stratman1

Like what I said in my previous post, Herbert sounds good but other amps can get the same sound and I have to test it myself. That's my opinion. So, now, 2 out of 2, all I want to know (and probably some of the forumites here, as well) is whether that was Oasgomez playing guitar or not? Just a simple question. Thanks. :lol:

Mystery boy pala siya.  Newbie kasi ako dito hehe...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2006, 02:21:49 AM »
:roll:

can i make a guess?  :lol:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2006, 02:25:08 AM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
:roll:

can i make a guess?  :lol:

:?:  :twisted:  :?:   :?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2006, 02:32:45 AM »

Hindi naman sa mystery boy sya. He ruffled quite a few feathers and stepped on some feet in this forum to get his points across with previous and current remarks. That's just a thing here that if you keep on talking about your great toned gear than you have to back it up with sound clip of the gear and how you play. I think that's just an unwritten rule. Other people with less expensive gear (and with great tone, I must say) can afford to post a clip of their sound and playing capability. So, the question still remains the same (parang ung kanta un, ah, hehe).

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2006, 02:43:30 AM »

Hindi naman sa mystery boy sya. He ruffled quite a few feathers and stepped on some feet in this forum to get his points across with previous and current remarks. That's just a thing here that if you keep on talking about your great toned gear than you have to back it up with sound clip of the gear and how you play. I think that's just an unwritten rule. Other people with less expensive gear (and with great tone, I must say) can afford to post a clip of their sound and playing capability. So, the question still remains the same (parang ung kanta un, ah, hehe).

I know oas has a reputation in the local forums. But to tell you honestly, you cannot simply judge tone from soundclips.  You would be surprised how much difference mic placement makes in the first place.  Now when playing comes into the equation, I suppose even Yngwie would sound like himself playing through any rig. If you saw the G3 Live in Denver DVD, you'll see a clip where Yngwie was practicing through some crappy solidstate Marshall practice amp.  But if Yngwie sounds like Yngwie through any rig, then why the hell should he setup an arsenal of Plexis and cabs during his gigs?  Sana yung practice amp na lang ginamit niya at hinook sa PA... Meaning, there is something about his choice of Plexis which inspires him to play.  

I believe in the saying that "it is not the arrow, but the indian."  But who would win in a duel between a skilled Indian and an amateur gunshooter?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Jack in a Vox,

You wont feel the power curve.  It projects good tone at any volume -- highly recommended for club use -- no PA needed -- because you have enough power to project cleans.  Question now is?  How loud can it go.

In other words, it has perfect linearity?  Kung baga, hi-fi effect ang power niya, in low and high volume?  Of course speaker cone distortion can change the tone...

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2006, 03:08:23 AM »

I know oas has a reputation in the local forums. But to tell you honestly, you cannot simply judge tone from soundclips.  You would be surprised how much difference mic placement makes in the first place.  Now when playing comes into the equation, I suppose even Yngwie would sound like himself playing through any rig. If you saw the G3 Live in Denver DVD, you'll see a clip where Yngwie was practicing through some crappy solidstate Marshall practice amp.  But if Yngwie sounds like Yngwie through any rig, then why the hell should he setup an arsenal of Plexis and cabs during his gigs?  Sana yung practice amp na lang ginamit niya at hinook sa PA... Meaning, there is something about his choice of Plexis which inspires him to play.  

I believe in the saying that "it is not the arrow, but the indian."  But who would win in a duel between a skilled Indian and an amateur gunshooter?

I know that mostly all the forumites here have some or a lot of infos about the mic placements and how recorded sound is really different from the actual sound. Heck... I saw MIRA SORVINA (actress) yesterday in TARGET. She sure looks different from the movies/tv as she did in person. That's the same thing with sound and we all know that. See, that's why I heard your soundclip of oas' herbert and decide to hear it for myself when I go to the amp shop this weend.

See, I'm not in any position to judge other peoples guitar playing and plan not to. Just curiosity, that's all :lol: . You already recorded the sound of the herbert, still the same question...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2006, 03:23:43 AM »
TARGET? bakets? baka down to earth lang talaga.

to me soundclips are important....it would be a factor for me to decide to go out of my way and go and try it....aside from reviews and the likes.

Offline markflo

« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2006, 04:15:21 AM »
c'mon! let's hear some "inspired by diezel" playing here!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2006, 04:20:18 AM »

Video clip dapat, tingnan natin kung talagang walang binatbat yung mga "lousy" amp.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2006, 05:53:15 AM »
+ infiity.

Mark okay lang... bukas baka may Diezel don sa ampshop....we'll see. 8)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2006, 07:18:58 AM »
As I said before I am not set up to post sound clips because:
1) I dont have the equipment and mics to do it.
2) Ibang ang tapon ng amp sa different locations and that includes the Herbert.
3) Not worth the effort.  Sound Clips do not capture and will not capture the THUMP of the Diezel and other characteristics of an amp.  For example, Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil was recorded entirely on a Bogner Uberschall and it does not sound like a live Uberschall to me.  
4) Ganito na lang, bigyan niyo ako ng soundclip niyo ng current amp niyo and soundclip niyo sa Diezel Herbert para mga tao na lang magdecide.   I dont have to prove myself.  You guys have to prove where you sound better.  Why?  Because I already have the amp.  If you guys sound better on the Diezel Herbert, then you have to weigh whether it is worth spending an additional US$4,100.

But that being said, we are really busy planning a cranked out demo at the Exile storehouse to test all the amps.  That includes the soldano, vht, bogners, bruno, vox and the Diezel -- possibly a matchless.  So bring your soundclips to the party and playback on the PA so we can assess which sounds better.

Bob Alvarez has volunteered his backup band.  Fidel Garcia will also be playing.  We are also planning to invite the Virgin Hunters.  Subukan ko rin invite ang Blue Rats.  So, I suggest you guys who doubt think that mass produced amps can equal the performance of the equipment above nominate somebody back here to attend and report to you.  I also suggest that person bring a digital recorder or something so he can post clips for you guys.

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2006, 07:38:50 AM »
PRSman,

You totally missed the point too when I compared the Herbert to Vintage Amps.  My point was that there is nothing great about having 50 vintage amps if the sound you are looking for is in a Diezel Herbert.  It is wrong a comparison of humility if humility for you is silence then all our yakking on this forum is including yours is now just bragging.  My intent on this thread is to express my opinion on the Diezel Herbert.  If I come across as boasting, it my right to express myself. So dont judge my character because you ain't God to judge my personality.  You can go ahead and judge the equipment.

Jack in Vox,

You missed the point. I was questioned by one of your cronies on the validity of buying based on the recommendation of Ultrasound.  So, I explained why they are more than qualified than all of us.  The Slash example illustrates the point that Ultrasound is a credible and capable seller of amps.  Jack in Vox, have you tried buying an amp from ultrasound?  Try it out.  By the way, the also sell peaveys, fenders and marshalls.  Before you guys slam Ultrasound, subukan niyo muna.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »
this....man/ thing is a lost cause. I would play with oas just to shut his @$$ up but, alas, I can't. However, I am still going to bet that as much as this guy holds to his which-sounds-better arrogance, there will be someone better ripping songs on a guitar with a sub-4,100 amp. I just WISH I would be there to see his face when someone says,"Man, youre amp is expensive and nice but that other guy sounds BETTER."

can't record? funny how you spend 4 grand on an amp yet can't invest in a basic SM57 to record- so you are basically saying, you can talk the talk but you can't cash was your hot air is saying? i certainly hope you play as well as you run your mouth, man.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2006, 08:12:25 AM »
As I said before I am not set up to post sound clips because:
1) I dont have the equipment and mics to do it.
2) Ibang ang tapon ng amp sa different locations and that includes the Herbert.
3) Not worth the effort.  Sound Clips do not capture and will not capture the THUMP of the Diezel and other characteristics of an amp.  For example, Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil was recorded entirely on a Bogner Uberschall and it does not sound like a live Uberschall to me.  
4) Ganito na lang, bigyan niyo ako ng soundclip niyo ng current amp niyo and soundclip niyo sa Diezel Herbert para mga tao na lang magdecide.   I dont have to prove myself.  You guys have to prove where you sound better.  Why?  Because I already have the amp.  If you guys sound better on the Diezel Herbert, then you have to weigh whether it is worth spending an additional US$4,100.

V-I-D-E-O-C-L-I-P...yun lang, kahit diesel or gas o kerosene pa yan amp mo. Sa yaman mo chicken feed lang ang camcorder sayo.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2006, 08:38:46 AM »
PRSman,

You totally missed the point too when I compared the Herbert to Vintage Amps.  My point was that there is nothing great about having 50 vintage amps if the sound you are looking for is in a Diezel Herbert.  It is wrong a comparison of humility if humility for you is silence then all our yakking on this forum is including yours is now just bragging.  My intent on this thread is to express my opinion on the Diezel Herbert.  If I come across as boasting, it my right to express myself. So dont judge my character because you ain't God to judge my personality.  You can go ahead and judge the equipment.

Jack in Vox,

You missed the point. I was questioned by one of your cronies on the validity of buying based on the recommendation of Ultrasound.  So, I explained why they are more than qualified than all of us.  The Slash example illustrates the point that Ultrasound is a credible and capable seller of amps.  Jack in Vox, have you tried buying an amp from ultrasound?  Try it out.  By the way, the also sell peaveys, fenders and marshalls.  Before you guys slam Ultrasound, subukan niyo muna.

In defense of Jack, YES, so what if I HAVE bought from Ultrasound. Have you been to Ultrasound yourself? Do you know what people there are like? I do and like other sales people, they sell what they can. What say you? If you know your salt around the NYC recording community, you would know that Ultrasound ain't the only spot for credible advice. However, what is wrong with your argument, and a point that expresses how YOU miss the point, is to plunk down money on the basis of someone else's advice when you haven't played a Herbert before purchasing it, THEN brandishing about how it is the best sound in the world even though your claim is a purely relative point. Got that? Relative. To say its the best by demeaning others is sad. I am suprised no one has suckerpunched you yet if you do play around town - that is, if you DO play at all. I mean, we haven't heard squat from you at all as far as a short clip. People might not have the best recording equipment here but that doesn't stop them from going out of their way to play to a backing track whatever way they can.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2006, 09:42:05 AM »
even if you played the living crap out of it live...it's still not worth the $3200 more...that's just plain crazy...it sounds like someone's compensating for whatever he or she is lacking...

The bottomline is you have to be inspired to play.  I don't think Neil Peart would prefer a Fernando kit for gigs, but surely he'll smoke through it.  MOreso with his DW sig model kit.

And also, there is such a thing as a bare minimum.  If 'tone' was really just in the fingers, why would people want to upgrade and upgrade gear until they get satisfied?  Then look back at the gear you used to own.  Maybe you would start ditching some for good.

There IS a bare minimum - but to say you have a $2,000 cutoff. Come on, THAT is stupid AND arrogant - not just to other people who can play, but moreso to others who can't afford expensive gear. I mean, you can own all the gear in the world but if you've been playing for years, everyone at that caliber knows that there really IS no cutoff because what sounds good will always be good, no matter the price; such are gems to be had. Its fine and dandy to have good gear but being civil about owning it and being happy about it is the bottom line. Oas COULD have been more gracious about his recent purchase but his opinions are, well, quite outlandish - even for pro musicians to consider.

I am firm believer that the tone comes from the fingers but there are always limitations to your gear as far as what it can give out - especially when you gig. Why do I upgrade? The answer is simple - because I break my sh&T. You DO have to be inspired to play but that does not necessarily mean that inspiration correlates with a need to purchase expensive gear. If you say otherwise, you really aren't worth your salt as a musician and maybe - just maybe - you should go back to thinking about WHY you might have gotten that 4,100 amp. Did you get it because your skills are on par with it? Or did you just get it to brag your balls to everyone else?

Having said that, I think the heading of this thread says it all. The latter claim was the purpose because if it wasn't, wouldn't have ALL the replies Oas posted have been to address questions about the Diezel constructively rather than demean everyone who doesn't own an expensive amp?

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2006, 10:32:55 AM »
Eto na ang LO-FI sample sound ng Herbie ni oasgomez, aka 'The Tone Nazi'....
http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=3688552&key=0779617E-4

so thats what $4100 worth of inspiration sounds like? :mrgreen:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »
Even a crapload of mics like an SM57/E609/414 through a Neve 1073 through a Protools HD3 Rig would still not get a good reproduction of the amp, because there is a processed sound due to mic placement and how you mix mics.

My point is, you can hear the 'voice' of the amp even in a low-bandwidth recording.  Parang tao.  Hindi naman tayo lahat magkaboses sa telepono diba? Lo-fi pero recognizeable pa rin.  And since telephones usually roll off at around 4kHz and 200Hz, you still get a decent glimpse of the guitar speaker range...

I am not a techie so I am assuming that the gear you rattled off should be good stuff...

But to your analogy on the "boses sa telepono"... not sure I would continue using that if I were you... di ba ang daming tao na ang pogi o ang ganda sa telepono pero kapag nakita mo na in person mukhang aswang?  Parang DJ sa radio... sana walang radio DJ dito...  :lol:

The point is, if all you get is a glimpse, how can you convince someone of the quality just by a "glimpse"?

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »
Heck... I saw MIRA SORVINA (actress) yesterday in TARGET.

ohmigosh... soundclips... este pictures naman... she is so cute...   :twisted:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2006, 10:50:50 AM »
PRSman,

Sad, sad, sad... still missing the original point... which was whoever that owner of 50-something amps/guitars is not making the same mistake you're doing by making a fool of himself with all your talk.  But again, it's your life.  I sincerely hope you find joy in the way you behave.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2006, 10:56:30 AM »
a glimpse is just a glimpse but to say that you can't get a good reproduction of an amp because it is a processed sound even with all the gear you mentioned is an injustice to every single sound engineer who has ever recorded music for a living.

I may not use a Neve or an SSL or even an Icon but I do run things through an HD3 system. Those are some pretty good converters you are talking about and to say it can't properly reproduce sound even with amateurish mic placement is sketchy. If you can't capture your amp's sound with those converters and the basic array of mics you plunked down then, my friend, there is defintiely something wrong with either YOUR acoustics or your mic placement technique. If there is something an HD system is capable of not doing is that it cannot lie about what is being fed into it. Feed it sh&t and you get sh&t.

I mean seriously, even if you didn't know anything about mic placement, how hard is it to stick an SM57 in front of a speaker? Forget off axis positioning or even blending with another mic and then mixing it down again with an ambient room mic. Forget all of that. Focus on the old SM57 right smack in front of the speaker. Even with a basic setup recorded as dry as possible with a basic fireface interface, you would STILL get a fairly legible impression of what the amp can do. I've worked with the ghettoest rigs that you can imagine and it was still possible to properly represent the tone of the amp being miked.