hulika

Author Topic: JUN CASTRO – Roadtone Guitar Clinic  (Read 84014 times)

PhosHilaron

Re: JUN CASTRO - Roadtone Guitar Custom & Repair
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
Yup! Twice already and everything is good. I'll be going back there actually to have a fretboard change.

may mga suki pala si jun castro dito...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
Madami, actually.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
Talagang marami Al

di lang kami madaldal at mashadong nakiki-uso sa hype hehe
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

PhosHilaron

« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »

gusto ko sanang malaman yung mga masasabi nyo para sa mga hindi pa nakakapag pa gawa kay jun castro katulad ko... it's nice to read good things that's dais for a luthier like jun castro... nakaka excite pag nabasa mo yung mga natulungan at mga nagpagawa na kay jun.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Haha. Well, it is true that generally, Jun Castro clients here in PhilMusic are a relatively quiet lot when it comes to talking about luthiers. I'm not sure why.

I have too many good experiences to tell. But the more important thing I can give here is a suggestion. If you do decide to have your guitar diagnosed, you must keep an open mind. Be prepared to throw all your preconceived notions of how awesome your guitar is the moment he starts eyeballing the neck. The problem that happens sometimes is that there are people who don't believe their $4,000 PRS, Taylor or whatnot has an intonation problem or something, especially if it had been previously set up by another luthier (local or foreign).

He has this Chinese businessman client who overcame that problem. Now, he regularly brings in these guitars to be set up, each one worth more than my car. I lost count how many already. And that's just one example of the level of trust given to him by his clients.

We don't say much unless asked directly (although that happens after a glowing post or two about our respective experiences). Interpret that as you will. But to me, it's a sign of peace of mind.   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:50:16 PM by Al_Librero »

PhosHilaron

« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Haha. Well, it is true that generally, Jun Castro clients here in PhilMusic are a relatively quiet lot when it comes to talking about luthiers. I'm not sure why.

I have too many good experiences to tell. But the more important thing I can give here is a suggestion. If you do decide to have your guitar diagnosed, you must keep an open mind. Be prepared to throw all your preconceived notions of how awesome your guitar is the moment he starts eyeballing the neck. The problem that happens sometimes is that there are people who don't believe their $4,000 PRS, Taylor or whatnot has an intonation problem or something, especially if it had been previously set up by another luthier (local or foreign).

He has this Chinese businessman client who overcame that problem. Now, he regularly brings in these guitars to be set up, each one worth more than my car. I lost count how many already. And that's just one example of the level of trust given to him by his clients.

We don't say much unless asked directly (although that happens after a glowing post or two about our respective experiences). Interpret that as you will. But to me, it's a sign of peace of mind.   

WOW! Thanks bro! This post of yours just gave me more reason to allow Jun Castro as the Luthier of Choice when it comes to taking care of my Sticker-Sunburst Greco Strat.

Looking forward to meet the Luthier of Choice... soon...

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »

May peace of mind kasi lahat kaya dedma na lang sa mga topic pagdating sa mga luthier hehe.

PhosHilaron

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
May peace of mind kasi lahat kaya dedma na lang sa mga topic pagdating sa mga luthier hehe.

it is also good to share what jun castro has done for your guitars... parang spreading or sharing to others na rin para mas marami pa ang magpagawa sa kanya dito na hindi nakakakilala pa kay jun...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Hindi naman sa ayaw na namin mag share. We've done this before quite a few times already and coincidentally, we're not in the habit of repeating ourselves again and again.

Consequently, one of the reasons I closed down the Roadtone website is to actually stop advertising. Nung simula, ang laking tulong sa kabuhayan niya, but in the end, it was more trouble than it was worth. These are times when there are way more clients than he can readily handle. Sa totoo lang, hindi pabor sa mga suki niya yung madami siyang cliente. Humahaba pila. Hehehe. Ok lang sana yun e. Kaso may mga customer pa na may masamang ugali na ipapa-rush yung trabaho tapos hindi naman tutubusin sa takdang araw. 

Besides, there are at least one or two threads dedicated to Jun. Natabunan na nga lang. Wala rin makapagsabi nito ngayon basta basta kasi disabled ang search function. But I think you can do a "philmusic jun castro" search at Google to find it/them.

PhosHilaron

« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
Hindi naman sa ayaw na namin mag share. We've done this before quite a few times already and coincidentally, we're not in the habit of repeating ourselves again and again.

Consequently, one of the reasons I closed down the Roadtone website is to actually stop advertising. Nung simula, ang laking tulong sa kabuhayan niya, but in the end, it was more trouble than it was worth. These are times when there are way more clients than he can readily handle. Sa totoo lang, hindi pabor sa mga suki niya yung madami siyang cliente. Humahaba pila. Hehehe. Ok lang sana yun e. Kaso may mga customer pa na may masamang ugali na ipapa-rush yung trabaho tapos hindi naman tutubusin sa takdang araw. 

Besides, there are at least one or two threads dedicated to Jun. Natabunan na nga lang. Wala rin makapagsabi nito ngayon basta basta kasi disabled ang search function. But I think you can do a "philmusic jun castro" search at Google to find it/them.

thanks for the info. I believe I have already posted a few on the old thread but I wasn't able to find the thread so I created a new one thinking I could get more info from new customers or the "suki" in regards to his works. Thanks again. I look forward meeting jun castro and setting up my strat.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
Jun Castro...    :razz:8-):mrgreen:
Surf's Up!

PhosHilaron

« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
Jun Castro...    :razz:8-):mrgreen:

ayos sa equation!

PhosHilaron

« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
Si Mang Jun ang nag set-up ng lahat ng gitara ko, una kong pinaset-up yung strat ko. And sobra akong tuwa sa ginawa nya. naka setup yung gitara ko sa 11's pero sobrang gaan lang gamitin.

Sa location, noong una hesitant din akong puntahan kasi sa may santa ana pa sya, pero nung napuntahan ko na. Ang dali lang pala sobra. Wag lang kayong abutan ng malakas na ulan, dahil baha-in dun.

Sa pag pa setup, medyo matagal nga, 1 week ang usual time. Pero pwede mo naman paki usapan minsan, kung talagang kailangan rush.

Ang "forte" ni mang jun eh intonation talaga and neck adjustment.

Try nyo si Mang Jun. You wont regret it  :mrgreen:

Maayos gumawa si Mang Jun, siya nagsetup ng acoustic and electric guitar ko. Yun nga lang medyo matagal bago makuha yung gitara kasi dami ring nagpapagawa sa kanya.

+1. all my guitars go through him. happy with his work. don't mind the price. but for people who use soft cases, thick padded or not, do yourself a favor and buy hard cases. it's a pain to bring it but it will really do it's job, protecting your guitar and keeping it's state as is way better than soft cases. he told me this years ago. he was right.

I had my jackson soloist set-up by Mang Jun. And he did a really great job, especially with the neck adjustment of the guitar-and it wasn't easy because it's neck through.

I think he does a really great job especially with string tension, intonation, string radius and others.

Mang Jun?

- The most honest local luthier
- The best in his craft
- Checks the guitar himself sa pagdala mu palang ng gitara, hanggang sa pagbalik mu at ike-claim mo ng gitara mo sya pa rin ang makakausap mo
- Down to earth, straightforward but trustworthy
- Won't compare your guitar to what he has and will make you feel how inferior your guitar is  :-D he respects and loves every client's guitar and treats it as if it was his.
- Matagal daw gumawa (well guys, the wait is well worth it) and the guy after all does all the work mostly for consistency...
- Takes every pic of his clients with the finished guitar for his album (SIKAT KA MAN O HINDI)
- Alongside the latter entry, sikat ka man o hindi, you have to line up for your guitar to be attended to  :-D respect as is  :-D

Ako taga Sampaloc na ako dinadayo ko pa si Mang Jun e  :-D :-D :-D

Ask Mark (Paperlungs) taga Sampaloc din yan....
 :-D :-D :-D

Offline guitabot

« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
@PhosHilaron - Pasetup mo na kay Mang Jun yung gitara mo para magkaron ka ng peace of mind. :D sa tingin ko wala pa namang nakakalusot sa talent at sa magic stick ni Mang Jun. Sa unang tingin pa lang nya malalaman na nya kung ano ang problema lalo na kung nilapatan na ng magic stick.  :-D Sasabihin nya sayo ang dapat ayusin, ika nga e you get what you paid for.  :) Maghihintay ka nga lang ng ilang weeks kasi maraming customer si Mang Jun. Eto ang malupit dyan, malalaman mo ang difference ng before and after setup. Sya nga pala nagsetup ng gitara ko, hanggang ngayon ok pa naman ang setup.  :)

PhosHilaron

« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
@PhosHilaron - Pasetup mo na kay Mang Jun yung gitara mo para magkaron ka ng peace of mind. :D sa tingin ko wala pa namang nakakalusot sa talent at sa magic stick ni Mang Jun. Sa unang tingin pa lang nya malalaman na nya kung ano ang problema lalo na kung nilapatan na ng magic stick.  :-D Sasabihin nya sayo ang dapat ayusin, ika nga e you get what you paid for.  :) Maghihintay ka nga lang ng ilang weeks kasi maraming customer si Mang Jun. Eto ang malupit dyan, malalaman mo ang difference ng before and after setup. Sya nga pala nagsetup ng gitara ko, hanggang ngayon ok pa naman ang setup.  :)

si na nga ako makapag intay... medyo busy pa kasi sa work at sa bahay kaya di ako makapunta kila sir jun... kaya ninanamnam ko pa mga nababasa ko dito...

Offline latooots

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
Curious lang ako, magkano yung typical price range para magpasetup kay mang Jun? Baguhan pa lang ako sa guitar at wala
 akong masyadong alam sa price ng pagpapasetup.

Salamat.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
That's the age old question. And the best answer will always be... it's best to ask him directly.

It's difficult to answer that blindly because the necessary tasks for proper setup depends on the condition of the actual guitar. That is why it's really important for Jun to inspect the guitar personally, and then explain to the owner in detail what needs to be done, then saka pepresyuhan with a breakdown of costs for each task. It'll then be up to the owner to decide how many of the tasks would he or she want Jun to do.

Offline latooots

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I was expecting more of a range kung magkano sa typical setup. As a student kasi di ko alam kung mga magkano ilalaan ko sa budget ko, kung aabutin ba ng thousand or less than that.  :cry:

Anyway, I'm definitely planning on letting him set up my guitar.  :-D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2012, 01:31:40 AM »
Usually, umaabot ng libo sa unang beses na pasok ng gitara. Tawagan mo siya kung gusto mo ng mas malinaw na sagot sa tanong mo.

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
If full set up hindi siya baba ng 2K.

Offline JimAntonio

« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
Jun is the real deal, probably the best when it comes to woods & setup.  I've had at least 3 guitars set up by him.  I think the only chink in his armor is yung electronics.  I had a problem with my potentiometer before that he wasn't able to solve (inamin naman niya & didn't charge me for it) and I also know of one friend who had a coil tap installed that wasn't too convincing, parang mali ata wiring.  But other than that, he's arguably the #1 luthier in the land.   :razz:

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
Jun is the real deal, probably the best when it comes to woods & setup.  I've had at least 3 guitars set up by him.  I think the only chink in his armor is yung electronics.  I had a problem with my potentiometer before that he wasn't able to solve (inamin naman niya & didn't charge me for it) and I also know of one friend who had a coil tap installed that wasn't too convincing, parang mali ata wiring.  But other than that, he's arguably the #1 luthier in the land.   :razz:

Disagree on setup and woods... Just my two cents.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
Jun has a nice stash of wood planks somewhere. But some luthiers are more active in acquiring high-grade tonewood. One day, he'll concentrate on perfecting his crafting. But that's not going to happen anytime soon. Nasa repair work ang pera para sa kanya and doon siya tututok until he's no longer flooded with it.

I think he finds electronics work pretty boring. Dati, he had an assistant who did the wiring jobs (unless Mang Raul Quesada pays a  visit, wherein suwerte yung mga may ari ng mga naaabutan niyang gitara). I don't want to say anything bad about the assistant since he passed away a while ago and was quite a nice guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if may mga sablay siya na hindi napuna ni Jun.

That's why it was a good thing I learned how to do my own wiring. At least I don't have to run to him every time my guitar doesn't sound right.

As far as coil tapping goes, sometimes, it just doesn't work as nicely as one would imagine. Some pickups simply sound better than others when tapped. Furthermore, I've always been peeved with how coil tapping is used as an all-encompassing term in the quest for getting single coil sounds from humbuckers. First of all, that will never happen. Second, there are three typical pickup wiring methods: coil tapping, coil splitting and series/parallel switching, each bringing their own flavor. I've done them all. Personally, I think coil tapping is the worst of the three.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:59:12 AM by Al_Librero »

PhosHilaron

« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »
yung set up ba kasama na dun yung general cleaning ng guitar pati pots... marumi na kasi pots nung strat ko at ang hirap ng iikot... contact cleaner lang ba katapat nun? yung volume ang hirap ng iikot yung tone ng neck pickup hindi na maiikot...