hulika

Author Topic: MR. BIG LIVE IN MANILA - Confirmed May 10, 2011  (Read 71510 times)

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MR. BIG LIVE IN MANILA - Confirmed May 10, 2011
« Reply #525 on: May 12, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
there was a very good point at firemodel's testimnony.. actually talking bout mr.big performance.. paul's tone was a bit different..i'm having a picture of the sound of paul live but when i heard it, its quite different.performance wise and note articulation, theres no question, but in the sound, its a bit controversial.. second thing, marshall  JCM amp set up, i don't know but i think PG amp set up today was on Laney amps..i wonder why he uses marshall stacks on the concert.. i dont know the equipment list of PG in mr. Big Days, maybe he uses marshall amp set up on those days..anyway.. the show was really great and unforgettable..it will be a once in a lifetime experience..mr.big was truly a great rock band..first song pA LANG PAMATAY NA..HEHE

yun kasi ata backline ng supplier ng pulp. i know those marshalls up close and they were the same ones used in the dying fetus and hatebreed gigs.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #526 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »
Some points:

1) The first band Lip Service was ok until the second song -- then all the three other songs sounded like the first song.  I wish they could add more space into their riffs and melodies.  After awhile digital delay and digital sound effects fatigue the ear specially if the mix is 100% wet.  Lots of noise too. The local mix put the guitar louder than the singer.
2) General Luna -- I was disappointed.  It was a mess.  They were not tight. Lip Service was much much tighter and rehearsed.  Caren was clearly having difficulty with her effects and she was playing at times ahead or out of time with her rhythm section -- which was clearly absent.  You could clearly see that the three girls to the right (the prettier ones)-- the singer, the drummer and Caren were the stars while the two girls on the left were just filler.  Again the local mix was strongest on Caren's guitar and the drummer which made it a struggle for the singer to be heard -- the worst possible mix for anyone to start appreciating a song.  Even on their signature song, you could not tell they were playing it.  It was only when the singer started the lyrics that you realized it was their song.  Caren's PGM simply would not and could not sustain as she struggled to make the clean passages sustain.  Again as I have said before, Ibanez guitars suck and the only way to get a fighting chance for an Ibby is to plug straight into a high gain boutique amp turn up the preamp gain.  Forget the multi fx set up for an Ibby because it just makes it sound worse. 
3) Mr. Big -- I loved everything except Paul Gilbert's sound.  Since Paul first came out, I never really though of him as having the best tone but this is his worst.  Clearly the single coils lacked the midrange punch to cut thru Billy Sheehan.  Paul sounded beautiful only when the rest of the band was quiet.  But with the band on, its as if his guitar disappeard.  You could only hear the attack of the single coils and nothing else as if there were no notes from his fingerboard.  Actually, you could only hear him on the higher register but since he applied distortion on single coils -- his highs were harsh -- clearly bad single coil and bad distortion design.  In a sense you can understand why he has his phaser/flanger slightly on.  He needed to thicken his single coils.  But with all his endorsements, I can hardly blame him for having to struggle which such inferior equipment -- i guess he needs the extra bucks for his family.  Sinubukan na lang niya idaan sa timpla pero hindi talaga kaya.
4) Mr. Araneta should improve his P.A. and add more speakers.... They are weak and they distort when the whole band level is up.  I have noticed this during the STP concert and nothing was done.  It was quite obvious that the P.A. could not keep up with Billy's bass solo because the whole P.A. started to distort and could not keep up with Billy's attack.  I also partly blame the P.A. for not being able to reproduce Paul's sound in the band mix.  A better PA would give Paul's single coils a better chance in the mix.

Good point..... Pero nakita kitang ngumingiti during one of PG's solo performances (kaw nga ba yun?)

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #527 on: May 12, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
as per link below, paul gilbert has been using marshall amps since 2009?

http://metalichicka.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/the-paul-gilbert-amps-and-amp-settings-page/
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline TK-JEM555

• Netizen Level
« Reply #528 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
as per link below, paul gilbert has been using marshall amps since 2009?

http://metalichicka.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/the-paul-gilbert-amps-and-amp-settings-page/

Yup right around the time the band got back together and on his last solo album. The single coil Ibby setup came around the same period too.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #529 on: May 12, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
Finally! May nag-upload din! If I was there, dito palang wala nako boses, hehehe.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #530 on: May 12, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
Para sa mga 'di pa nakakaalam, wala na sa Laney si PG, matagal na. Nag-switch na siya sa Marshall.

Na-realize ni PG na mas maganda pa din ang tunog ng Marshall compared sa Laney nung naging part siya ng G3 line-up nung 2007 with Satriani and Petrucci. Kaya ayun, since nun, nag Marshall na siya.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »
Para sa mga 'di pa nakakaalam, wala na sa Laney si PG, matagal na. Nag-switch na siya sa Marshall.

Na-realize ni PG na mas maganda pa din ang tunog ng Marshall compared sa Laney nung naging part siya ng G3 line-up nung 2007 with Satriani and Petrucci. Kaya ayun, since nun, nag Marshall na siya.

Satriani realized the same thing so he moved from Peavey (back) to Marshall... but really, I think they have better sounding amps.  But they just need the money so they keep on moving endorsements.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
Satriani realized the same thing so he moved from Peavey (back) to Marshall... but really, I think they have better sounding amps.  But they just need the money so they keep on moving endorsements.

You think so? Guys like Satch and PG are already household names, and along with that comes very handsome paychecks just by playing and touring alone. Endorsements count, of course. But in this case, I guess they just found great satisfaction with Marshall, nothing more, nothing less. Though I could be wrong and you could be right and vice-versa.

I read somewhere that the Marshall guys do not pay their endorsers. And John Petrucci is actually saying the same thing about Mesa. They get something else, I guess.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #533 on: May 12, 2011, 05:37:56 PM »
You think so? Guys like Satch and PG are already household names, and along with that comes very handsome paychecks just by playing and touring alone. Endorsements count, of course. But in this case, I guess they just found great satisfaction with Marshall, nothing more, nothing less. Though I could be wrong and you could be right and vice-versa.

I read somewhere that the Marshall guys do not pay their endorsers. And John Petrucci is actually saying the same thing about Mesa. They get something else, I guess.

Those paychecks are not as handsome as you think if you net out the recording costs and touring costs. 

Two Rock does not pay Satch yet Satch loves their amps.  In fact, as I said, Satch has a J2 and requested Two Rock to make a 100 watt power amp for the J2 to drive.   I personally stopped buying Marshalls after the JCM 800 era -- I got a JCM 900 SLX (my last Marshall) which is actually more of a JCM 800 with an extra tube stage.  All the others that followed sounded fizzy and sterile.

I personally remember Paul's tone best with Lee Jackson and Ampeg Amps.  When he switched to Laney, it was not as memorable at all.  When it comes to amps as a rule of thumb -- the more expensive the better no bones about it.  And buy Made in USA or Made in Europe.  The rest are junk.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #534 on: May 12, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
Those paychecks are not as handsome as you think if you net out the recording costs and touring costs. 

Two Rock does not pay Satch yet Satch loves their amps.  In fact, as I said, Satch has a J2 and requested Two Rock to make a 100 watt power amp for the J2 to drive.   I personally stopped buying Marshalls after the JCM 800 era -- I got a JCM 900 SLX (my last Marshall) which is actually more of a JCM 800 with an extra tube stage.  All the others that followed sounded fizzy and sterile.

I personally remember Paul's tone best with Lee Jackson and Ampeg Amps.  When he switched to Laney, it was not as memorable at all.  When it comes to amps as a rule of thumb -- the more expensive the better no bones about it.  And buy Made in USA or Made in Europe.  The rest are junk.

Could also be the case with Marshall.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #535 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
Could also be the case with Marshall.

The difference is that Two Rock does not advertise Joe.  And I do hope you can think between the lines, Joe who is known for tons of endorsement deals switches from Peavey (who paid him to design and use peavey amps) switches to Marshall for free?  Heh heh.  Noong na-design ang Peavey JSX amp ang pinadala ni Joe para kopyahin nila ay Marshall 6100. 

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #536 on: May 12, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »
may hangover pa rin ako!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #537 on: May 12, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
Those 4101 JCM900s are infamous for their buzzy, compressed character, and they really sound like a swarm of bees with single coils.  PG uses Vintage Moderns which are much better.

Endorsements are done by famed artists to make money.  But they tuck their favorite stuff somewhere at home or in the studio, but to avoid contract breeches, they use them discreetly. Would you think John Petrucci does NOT own a single Marshall? 

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #538 on: May 12, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »

The SLX is the last non diode-clipping Marshall ever made.  Another one from the 900 era is the MKIII which is not very common here.  Richie Kotzen likes the SLX amps.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #539 on: May 12, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
sana magkatotoo yung sinabi ni eric martin na babalik sila agad. sana tugtugin nila yung next time around, stay together, promise her the moon, going where the wind blows saka nothing but love  :)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #540 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
The difference is that Two Rock does not advertise Joe.  And I do hope you can think between the lines, Joe who is known for tons of endorsement deals switches from Peavey (who paid him to design and use peavey amps) switches to Marshall for free?  Heh heh.  Noong na-design ang Peavey JSX amp ang pinadala ni Joe para kopyahin nila ay Marshall 6100. 

Kaya nga. This only goes to show that Joe has always been a Marshall guy. Kaya it's a no-brainer kung lumipat man siya sa Marshall from Peavey ng walang bayad. As long as Marshall delivers. I'm not saying anything really concrete here for no one really knows the real reason why Satch dropped Peavey for Marshall and why PG switched from Laney to Marshall but themselves.

It is just a possibility. That's all I'm sayin'.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #541 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
sana magkatotoo yung sinabi ni eric martin na babalik sila agad. sana tugtugin nila yung next time around, stay together, promise her the moon, going where the wind blows saka nothing but love  :)

Kung papakinggan mo yung tono ng boses niya nung sinabi niya yun reassuring talaga. tingin ko nag-enjoy talaga sila satin since the whole night sinasabayan natin pagkanta niya. Inaantay ko rin yung next time around and bagay sana yun as a closing song since nagpramis siya na babalik sila hehe.

Offline gabblues

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #542 on: May 12, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
medyo nakakalula ung "science" ng pagdiscuss nyo sa tone ni paul gilbert :|

personally, i think it is one of the best concert i have seen and will see. hopefully maging totoo ung sinabi ni eric martin na "we will be back sooner than you expect" :evil:

NAKAKAMISS ANG MR. BIG!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:15:50 PM by gabblues »

Offline lestervai

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #543 on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »
medyo nakakalula ung "science" ng pagdiscuss nyo sa tone ni paul gilbert :|

personally, i think it is one of the best concert i have seen and will see. hopefully maging totoo ung sinabi ni eric martin na "we will be back sooner than you expect" :evil:

NAKAKAMISS ANG MR. BIG!!!

parang sinabi din to ni Mayer ah! hehe

Offline gabblues

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #544 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:56 PM »
pati si sir bugoy sa taas ko lang nabanggit din haha. sana next year balik na sila agad... :-D

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #545 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »
parang sinabi din to ni Mayer ah! hehe

Sana naman pag balik nya (kung totoo nga) eh mura naman sana ang tix like sa Mr. Big.

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #546 on: May 12, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
SOLB ang gig!

Dyahi nga lang ang lightmen, nang-asar tuloy si eric martin :D

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #547 on: May 12, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »
SOLB ang gig!

Dyahi nga lang ang lightmen
, nang-asar tuloy si eric martin :D

Haha! Sinabi mo pa! Hirap maka-gets!haha!

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #548 on: May 12, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »
Haha! Sinabi mo pa! Hirap maka-gets!haha!

Eric Martin: "The lights should be turned off after the end of the song"

Lightman: (Biglang pinatay ang ilaw)

Eric Martin: Now I cant see!

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #549 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
bwiset talaga yung lightmen sa mr.big concert.... lalo na kung ma-compare nyo sa gig ng deftones na super panalo ang lighting.