hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 630217 times)

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #7275 on: November 08, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »
Yeah mabait nga olson. I think hes shop is closed for the winter. I also dm drew heinonen. Very interested sa hybrid om. 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7276 on: November 08, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
Yeah mabait nga olson. I think hes shop is closed for the winter. I also dm drew heinonen. Very interested sa hybrid om. 

very nice. I had a chance to play one of drew's pieces not long ago. darn nice builder. other than one piece I have on an order cue, no further acquisitions after this year for me. I took receipt of 3 acoustics this year that still smells like the woodshop so I gotta go gig and break them in.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:26:57 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7277 on: November 08, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
very nice. I had a chance to play one of drew's pieces not long ago. darn nice builder. other than one piece I have on an order cue, no further acquisitions after this year for me. I took receipt of 3 acoustics this year that still smells like the woodshop so I gotta go gig and break them in.
Wow 3 for this year ?! Farseer slowed down this year too.. he got a kevin ryan ata.

I really like olson.. siguro down the line if ever i will go braz b/s..

Olsons tone is consistent. The fact the he doesnt "voiced" his instruments and have that consistent sound is a proof that guitar building isnt rocket science. Sabi nga nya its just woodworking. If you build it right, something good will come out of it.

Kaya i am intrigued by drew..  he does top voicing and the hybrid om is he's thing.

Have you tried his hybrid?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:50:25 AM by dantuts »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7278 on: November 09, 2018, 08:04:37 AM »
Wow 3 for this year ?! Farseer slowed down this year too.. he got a kevin ryan ata.

I really like olson.. siguro down the line if ever i will go braz b/s..

Olsons tone is consistent. The fact the he doesnt "voiced" his instruments and have that consistent sound is a proof that guitar building isnt rocket science. Sabi nga nya its just woodworking. If you build it right, something good will come out of it.

Kaya i am intrigued by drew.. He doesnt do top voicing like the others but drew does top voicing and the hybrid om is he's thing.

Have you tried his hybrid?

I have not tried the hybrid. I tried the SJ. I am an SJ kinda guy, maybe a concert depending on what I need the guitar for. Unless I am recording the thing up close or have an onboard mic, I usually go with a dread or jumbo shape because its pretty versatile for cutting through when you are in a trio or duo setting. I slowed down a ton because I've got some stuff on order and I realistically can't gig and break all the the guitars in at the same time even if I consistently do sessions or gigs. I got in on the Olson cue a while back since there is quite the backlog on his builds. A Braz Olson would be something! I basically am opting for my own version of a James Taylor Olson but with less bling and as minimalist in visual appeal as I can get.

You getting a Ryan too?

I forgot. Its not 3 -its actually 4. I forgot about the Adi topped HD-28 Martin I got over the Spring. I've never owned a Martin dread so this was a first for me.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7279 on: November 09, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
I am not sure if i am going to get a new one.. haha if may braz na olson i might think about it. But i have to sell the SJ. Cant have both hehhe

Depende rin kung ibenta ni dave yung ryan nya hahaha

Did olson mentioned about retiring when you met him?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7280 on: November 09, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
I am not sure if i am going to get a new one.. haha if may braz na olson i might think about it. But i have to sell the SJ. Cant have both hehhe

Depende rin kung ibenta ni dave yung ryan nya hahaha

Did olson mentioned about retiring when you met him?

He did not but that kind of stuff has been buzzing around for a while even when I visited the Healdsburg years ago. When I was in the shop, it looked like stuff was still getting set up for building so I imagine he is going to keep at it for a number of years, still. For builders getting up there in age like Olson and Somogyi, folks worry about that. Kind of part of the reason why I got two Beneteaus. The wait was still almost 1.5 years from deposit to delivery. Shorter for Greenfield and prolly the same for Olson but was quoted 9-12 mos give or take a few. I haven't played many Ryans but I was sold on the Olson the first time I strummed one. The clarity was nuts and it reminded me of the same oomph and contemporary sound as this G1 Greenfield I played. Your SJ looks amazing
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:52:49 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7281 on: November 09, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
You got dm hehehe

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7282 on: November 09, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
Heinonen Cedar / cocobolo sj custom..

Awesome playing here by david and awesome tone.