hulika

Author Topic: MODS: please bomb this silly topic that was resurrected from the dead...  (Read 24656 times)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
Tone: Is it in the fingers or the gear?
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »
hmmm....bad guitar recordings sa local music...i thought malaking factor din ung know-how dito...pano gamitin ang mga gamit.

Led Zepellin did not have the high tech gizmos modern artist enjoy today, but they sure sounded timeless in their records...they have made one of the best sounding albums of our time.
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2006, 03:03:52 PM »
Quote from: SDMF
hmmm....bad guitar recordings sa local music...i thought malaking factor din ung know-how dito...pano gamitin ang mga gamit.

Led Zepellin did not have the high tech gizmos modern artist enjoy today, but they sure sounded timeless in their records...they have made one of the best sounding albums of our time.

Jimmy Page recorded with mics. He used also a second mike far away from the speaker cabinet. And since Led Zep recorded in the 70's, the same equipment would be outdated today.

In short, what I am trying to say is that for good guitar tones, it boils down to the guitar, the effects and the amp. Some guitar players rely too much with the effects and not the amp. Don't go direct box unles it's part of the effects loop starting with the amp.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2006, 03:32:20 PM »
Quote from: SDMF

Dude, check the Music Tech section.  I posted a thread on Eddie Kramer's lectures.   The idea is simple.  No budget in the recording industry.  But we wanna compete with the world.  How's that?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2006, 04:16:58 PM »
tone is in the kuku...not fingers.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2006, 04:23:12 PM »
Quote from: Phil
tone is in the kuku...not fingers.

No, Phil. Fungus yun, hehe :lol:

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »
tone is in the PEDICURE 8)  Kita ko noon yung kuko ni Nuno sa more than words....black, straight cut at elegantly Black :lol:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »
Quote from: pallas
tone is in the PEDICURE 8)  Kita ko noon yung kuko ni Nuno sa more than words....black, straight cut at elegantly Black :lol:

Kailangang solid top polish ang nasa kuku para fulltone ang sound. Pag highly polished, eh, medyo bright sound. Pag naman dull finish, warmer sound. So, kung kalalabas pa lang ng banyo, eh, di "BROWN SOUND", hahaha!!! :twisted:  :lol:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
He already started using Dumble when we were still learning to play guitar.  

Really? Didn't SRV only get to play a Dumble only on his first recording because it was in Jackson Brown's studio where they recorded their first album?  The Dumble was ostensibly the main amp for David Lindley, Brown's venerable slide guitarist.

Offline bunny rabbit

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2006, 07:29:50 PM »
I'm sorry, but who's Nuno?  :oops:
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2006, 07:33:47 PM »
Nuno sa punso! hehehe kidding.. they're referring to the great Nuno Bettencourt, Extreme's guitarist. :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2006, 08:24:41 PM »
Quote from: bunny rabbit
I'm sorry, but who's Nuno?  :oops:

Your forgiven pre...14 years ago ba yun :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline bunny rabbit

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2006, 08:38:25 PM »
Ahh kaya pala. 19 lang ako eh. Haha
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2006, 05:25:53 AM »

19 ka? Ako 2... 2-tunga-tunganga lang araw araw, hehe :lol: . Sori, corny, no?

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2006, 09:25:31 AM »
i still think RJ sounds great whatever he's using. no joke. i love his playing. i remember him demoing a hot cabs amp at galleria. made me think about the amp for a while. i had the same amp then and tweaked it to death to get an acceptable sound. but i never got close to what i heard when RJ was playing to the same amp model. oh, he was using an RJ Raven. the most entry level of all RJ entry level guitars way back. so i guess... must be the player then.
Surf's Up!

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2006, 02:45:33 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

If gear is an integral part, then how can we alleviate from this problem in the Philippines?  Bad guitar recordings.  Bad amps in the clubs.  Not to mention that there is a plethora of bad guitars being used professionally.  Kasi the real reason behind all this is our poverty.  Check the "it really sucks to be poor" thread. Madaling sabihin, pera lang ang solusyon.  "Lang" pala ha?  Maybe there are some who can afford the really expensive ones, but they're too busy working on their next court hearing or their next surgical operation.  The real musicians in this country can't afford the rock and roll lifestyle as we know it.

i don't understand why you have to quote me with this. maybe you really are oasgomez.

and what is all the mumbling about "alleviating" whoeverthefvckthisguitaristmaybe? this is not even about expensive or cheap gear.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2006, 04:12:23 PM »

Pero dude andito lang si Nuno last year.  Sayang, sana napanood mo siya...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2006, 08:39:22 PM »
Quote from: fretburner

If gear is an integral part, then how can we alleviate from this problem in the Philippines?  Bad guitar recordings.  Bad amps in the clubs.  Not to mention that there is a plethora of bad guitars being used professionally.  Kasi the real reason behind all this is our poverty.  Check the "it really sucks to be poor" thread. Madaling sabihin, pera lang ang solusyon.  "Lang" pala ha?  Maybe there are some who can afford the really expensive ones, but they're too busy working on their next court hearing or their next surgical operation.  The real musicians in this country can't afford the rock and roll lifestyle as we know it.

i don't understand why you have to quote me with this. maybe you really are oasgomez.

and what is all the mumbling about "alleviating" whoeverthefvckthisguitaristmaybe? this is not even about expensive or cheap gear.

Fretburner, try checking the sleeve of your favorite foreign album.  Email the album producer with 5 of your favorite local recordings and ask what he has to say about the recording quality.  Isama mo na ang Parokya Ni Edgar's Halaga.  In this case we're zeroing in on record production alone.  When was the last time you were wowed by  a local album from a tonal sense? Bihira.  

You're missing the point.  I am enlightening each and every serious musician that there is a problem with production values, and gear always comes into play, whether you believe it or not.  Hence, we should be looking for solutions to that problem.  The question is, how can we par in a world-class sense with the cheap equipment we have now?

Offline flyingratsass

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
good gear will give you good tone.
but it's your playing that will make it great.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2006, 03:49:39 AM »
Gears only produce SOUND...It will be up to your fingers to produce a good TONE out of it.

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2006, 09:29:14 AM »
lol, tone is in the ears (or brain technically) of the beholder!

If you are very satisfied playing through a 10 watts rage amp and a century distortion and you say that eric johnson's tone sucks, then who in the world has the right to judge your tone!

Technically, it's the gear pero kung subjective ang paguusapan, sa tenga ng tumutugtog at nakikinig yun.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2006, 12:50:13 PM »

Fretburner, try checking the sleeve of your favorite foreign album.  Email the album producer with 5 of your favorite local recordings and ask what he has to say about the recording quality.  Isama mo na ang Parokya Ni Edgar's Halaga.  In this case we're zeroing in on record production alone.  When was the last time you were wowed by  a local album from a tonal sense? Bihira.  

You're missing the point.  I am enlightening each and every serious musician that there is a problem with production values, and gear always comes into play, whether you believe it or not.  Hence, we should be looking for solutions to that problem.  The question is, how can we par in a world-class sense with the cheap equipment we have now?

don't quote me then.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline Ag3nt

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2006, 11:00:39 AM »
in oasgomez's case, i would say "its in the gear"

Offline poposplanet

Re: Tone: Is it in the fingers or the gear?
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:34 AM »
Anyway, I have been playing for around 14 years na.  Consistent ang tunog ko kahit anong gamit.  My playing basically sucks kaya walang kwenta kahit ano pa ang gamitin ko.  Hehehehe...   :wink:

natawa ko dito sa post na 'to ah. nabuga ko yung iniinom kong kape sa opisina.

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2008, 06:35:52 AM »
natawa ko dito sa post na 'to ah. nabuga ko yung iniinom kong kape sa opisina.

this thread has long long long long been dead.

magkano ba magpa scalarizer ng daliri?  :lol:
This is a forum siggy.

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2008, 08:02:34 AM »
hinalungkat ang thread :D
here we go again.....