hulika

Author Topic: Epiphone dot & Real Gibson ES 335  (Read 2746 times)

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
Epiphone dot & Real Gibson ES 335
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:23:38 PM »
Doesn't the body of the epi dot seem kind of off in shape in comparison to the real gibson? Not the pickguard and stuff, just the base of the body itself.  I need an opinion on this. :?:

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
they are identical- the epi is the korean copy intended for the lower end market... epi and ginson are under one company :D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 11:55:54 PM »
i use the Epiphone Elite which is under Epiphone but manufactured at the Japan plant. I really like the Elite series by Epi/ Gibson. In my opinion, it feels just as solid as their American counterparts for a bit less than the selling amount for a Gibson.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:54:19 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
i use the Epiphone Elite which is under Epiphone but manufactured at the Japan plant. I really like the Elite series by Epi/ Gibson. In my opinion, it feels just as solid as their American counterparts for a bit less than the selling amount for a Gibson.

id get an Epi Elite over a Gibson studio any time...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:34:49 AM »
as long as you try it and then decide afterwards. thing is, Epi's can vary from model to model and from batch to batch. As such, you can't base your opinions on the guitar quality just because it is an Epi and not a Gibson. I've tried some Standard and Custom LPs from Gibson a few times and was amazed at the variation. Try them all...i tried an Epi Sheraton too and loved the sound of it through a Fender Vibro King. It was just kind of annoying that the salesman was trying to sell me the Gibson ES-335 over what I liked and thought was a better deal. I mean, come one, Epi Elite for under 1500 versus an ES-335 from Gibson for over 2200? The sale was a no brainer for me.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »
Quote from: farseer
they are identical- the epi is the korean copy intended for the lower end market... epi and ginson are under one company :D

well duh. I know that. I'm just pointing out that the body shape of the two aren't totally identical.  :wink:

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:15:59 PM »
may slight variations lang sa cutaway horns. IMHO the RJ 335 looks closer to the Gibson, if it wasn't for the damn cherryburst paintjob  :(
soylent green is people.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 01:04:06 AM »
pards
epipiphone dot is similar to the ES 335.. mas mura nga lang ang epiphone pero merong epiphone na mas mahal pa- yung mga vintage nila saka yung john lennon na issue which is $2,000 plus. its a matter of preference nga tulad ng sabi ni abbys..try it. i have the ES 335 .. i like the sound pero i dont like the wood..mas maganda pa yung wood nung lumang ES 335 na nakita ko sa greenhills.
Music is art in sound...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 01:16:55 AM »
guys, may Gibson ES-335 satin finish na available for $1,600+ sa Musician's Friend ah.. that's already a pretty good deal, isn't it? i'm looking at the Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded with 60's neck.. it's selling for $2,000. is this a good deal too?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline markflo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 02:21:46 AM »
from my experience, parang iba ata yung neck joint nung gibson sa epi...parang mas madaling abutin yung higher registers sa gibson kesa sa epi...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Chito

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 02:23:00 AM »
Look for Ibanez Artstars. They are based on the Gibson ES335 and are excellent guitars. I find them better than the Epis and very comparable to the Gibsons. The Super 58 humbucker pickups are also great. I had an opportunity to buy a used AS120 last winter. Here are the reviews at Harmony central with regards to the AS120.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Ibanez/AS120_Artstar-01.html

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 03:40:53 PM »
Quote from: Chito
Look for Ibanez Artstars. They are based on the Gibson ES335 and are excellent guitars. I find them better than the Epis and very comparable to the Gibsons. The Super 58 humbucker pickups are also great. I had an opportunity to buy a used AS120 last winter.

Have these been discontinued?  :?:

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 01:09:18 AM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
guys, may Gibson ES-335 satin finish na available for $1,600+ sa Musician's Friend ah.. that's already a pretty good deal, isn't it? i'm looking at the Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded with 60's neck.. it's selling for $2,000. is this a good deal too?

1.3k lang yun es333- parang 335 din.... 2k for a standard is expensive, dapat mga 1.6 to 1.7k lang.... why not get a 57 historic gold top nalang, mga nasa 2.1-2.2k lang, but if you want an lp w/ a slimtaper neck, try the exclusive guitar center 1960 reissue w/ plain top halos ganun din yun price.... :D

Chito

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 01:28:53 AM »
Quote from: ioffendpeople
Quote from: Chito
Look for Ibanez Artstars. They are based on the Gibson ES335 and are excellent guitars. I find them better than the Epis and very comparable to the Gibsons. The Super 58 humbucker pickups are also great. I had an opportunity to buy a used AS120 last winter.

Have these been discontinued?  :?:

Yes it has been in 2003. But I've seen them show up "used" quite often. So if you find one, try it out.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 01:39:59 AM »

1.3k lang yun es333- parang 335 din.... 2k for a standard is expensive, dapat mga 1.6 to 1.7k lang.... why not get a 57 historic gold top nalang, mga nasa 2.1-2.2k lang, but if you want an lp w/ a slimtaper neck, try the exclusive guitar center 1960 reissue w/ plain top halos ganun din yun price.... :D

i see.. thanks man! pero kinunsensya ako ni markflo... hmmmm...  :shock:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline markflo

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 01:49:54 AM »
h'llo...my name is mark...and i am a reformed GAS addict...

...venus, DON'T buy the guitar! you don't need it...BWAHAHAH!

i see.. thanks man! pero kinunsensya ako ni markflo... hmmmm...  :shock:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln