hulika

Author Topic: pro tools question  (Read 2411 times)

Offline mariuo

pro tools question
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:12:03 PM »
hi there i just bought a second hand mbox and well im really new to pro tools. everything was going fine till i tried to bounce the tracks to my hard drive. some error message saying something like "your disk might be too slow or fragmented". so does this mean i have to get an external hard drive just for mixingdown audio from pro tools? kind of a hassle. i use an ibook g4 1.33 with 1.5gb ram and 60gb hdd if you need the spec of my pc. well any help would be much appreciated :D thanks

-mario

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
pro tools question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:59:49 PM »
most likely OR...just upgrade the drive on your ibook. i upgraded my dell laptop drive to a 100GB seagate. although i dont do hardcore sequencing on it, it is my main composition computer when I fly or spend time in between flights at airports. i run, reason 3, adobe audition, and Ableton Live 5 on it for sketching out ideas that I can work on at home.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
pro tools question
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »
Fragmented hard drives cause a big hit on HD thoughput so it would be best to defragment before a recording session. Editing audio can cause fragmentation, especially multiple edits, because of the numerous read/writes performed on an audio file; quit apparent when you create multiple regions from one region in PT, not to mention non-realtime processes and destructive edits.

While it would be nice to have an external firewire drive, it would mean another peripheral to lug around with your iBook. I'd go with abyss' advice on the internal HD upgrade first then consider an external drive for backup purposes. Could always archive data to CD/DVD if HD space becomes an issue.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline mariuo

pro tools question
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »
well thanks for your help:D its weird i just did some permissions and installed applejack and well now it works. thanks again hehe :D

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
pro tools question
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:17:00 AM »
pwede ba ang pro tools sa pc?! someone mentioned that they are running PT on a P4 3.0 GHz PC, 60 tracks, 5 plug ins per track, no glitch whatsoever!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
pro tools question
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 08:36:37 AM »
PT HD3 i mean :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
pro tools question
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 10:31:38 AM »
Quote from: starfugger
pwede ba ang pro tools sa pc?! someone mentioned that they are running PT on a P4 3.0 GHz PC, 60 tracks, 5 plug ins per track, no glitch whatsoever!

PT, PT LE and PT M-Powered (not PT free) is also windows xp compatible. The reason PT runs stable is because it is tied to Digi approved hardware.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
pro tools question
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 11:03:51 AM »
KitC is right...the more integrated with the hardware the sequencer is, the more stable it becomes. Case in point, the UAD-1 plugins...the dedicated processing makes these powerful plugs more resource independent of the host machine.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline analogueorange

• Philmusicus Noobitus
pro tools question
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »
if you want to do hardcore mixing and recording in your ibook, you must lean out your computer meaning trash certain applications that you don't need. it's better to turn off the sleep mode in your computer because pro tools will have an error lose your recorded data. It is better to have an external hardrive for doing hardcore recording and mixing via firewire cable.

Offline jplacson

pro tools question
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 08:05:44 PM »
That's also the one thing that makes PT-MP kinda annoying, aside from the iLok plug, you still need to plug in the M-Audio hardware.  Not very portable if you already recorded a session and just want to edit the mix, or tweak a single track on the move.

Is there ANY way to bounce tracks in PT faster than real-time?  I mean, just to export a rough sketch before really doing a final mixdown?  I've been reading the manual and all, but everything points to "real time bounce"...

But i have to say, for real recording (non MIDI) stuff... I can see why PT is the standard in a lot of big studios.  Ableton, Reaons, etc are all great... but most of these shine with generated/sampled material.  If you've got a multichannel interface... PT really feels intuitive... even more so than Sonar (which I started on)

I prefer Ableton when using MIDI/looped tracks though.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Sound Weavers

pro tools question
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »
PWEDE!

HD3 Accel ka na agad? HANEP! :D

Quote from: starfugger

Offline Sound Weavers

pro tools question
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 09:06:46 AM »
ditto

Sleep mode turned to OFF is a MUST.
Disable auto software update.
External drive (firewire) highly recommended.

lean and mean = don't open or install apps you don't use regularly.

Quote from: analogueorange
if you want to do hardcore mixing and recording in your ibook, you must lean out your computer meaning trash certain applications that you don't need. it's better to turn off the sleep mode in your computer because pro tools will have an error lose your recorded data. It is better to have an external hardrive for doing hardcore recording and mixing via firewire cable.