hulika

Author Topic: MOTU 828 mk1 repair? sino dito sa Pinas kaya gumawa?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline akosiave

• Netizen Level
MOTU 828 mk1 repair? sino dito sa Pinas kaya gumawa?
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:40:23 AM »
I have an old MOTU 828 mk1,

Kaso hindi cya magamit. Power is ok, initialization ng hardware is ok, installation ng drivers (tried ALL versions available, mula luma hanggang bago, both MAC and PC...) ok naman (means, FW connection is present)

PERO

when all is done, hindi gumagana yung CueMix software, kng saan mo na-co-control yung 828 hardware/software routing. Hindi rin cya nakikita ng Windows system; pero nakikita cya ng MOTU console, where you set the clock sync...

Any help would help. As the only options left is gradually becoming between sending it sa USA or just "throw" it away. sayang naman kung display lang cya sa rack.

Haaay.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: MOTU 828 mk1 repair? sino dito sa Pinas kaya gumawa?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »
have you tried calling their tech support? they are helpful kaya lang baka matagal kang maghihintay..pero toll free naman yata.. it looks like sa software yung defect hindi sa hardware..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »
It could also be some sort of hardware incompatibility. What is your pc's firewire chipset?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline akosiave

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:43:42 AM »
Baldo: I tried emailing them once. no reply. I'll email them again.

KitC: I'm not sure about hardware incompatibility with my FW chipset, but I tried it in my P4 desktop, P4 laptop, Mac G4 desktop, Mac G4 laptop, same result... :(

I was wondring lang if merong technician dito sa Manila/Pinas na gumagawa ng mga ganito. Kasi if not, mukhang only option is to ship it directly to MOTU... :o

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »
yeah it sucks.. i know the feeling.. had questions about the mixer also and i had to call them several times... good that the problem was user error hehehe not hardware malfunction or else i will not buy from them anymore..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
KitC: I'm not sure about hardware incompatibility with my FW chipset, but I tried it in my P4 desktop, P4 laptop, Mac G4 desktop, Mac G4 laptop, same result... :(

If marvinq's experience with his 828 is any indication, he had one of his 828's go bad because one of it's firewire ports became defective, probably due to repeated insertions because it was regularly shuttled from his personal studio to the office, and maybe to a few gigs. We're thinking that it's entirely possible that the soldering of the fireport port could have come loose due to insertions or maybe due to sideways stress on the FW cable. In any event, that 828 was shipped to MOTU for repair.

If your 828 is no longer covered by warranty, you could experiment opening it up and resoldering the joints.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline d6ynast9y

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
If marvinq's experience with his 828 is any indication, he had one of his 828's go bad because one of it's firewire ports became defective, probably due to repeated insertions because it was regularly shuttled from his personal studio to the office, and maybe to a few gigs. We're thinking that it's entirely possible that the soldering of the fireport port could have come loose due to insertions or maybe due to sideways stress on the FW cable. In any event, that 828 was shipped to MOTU for repair.

If your 828 is no longer covered by warranty, you could experiment opening it up and resoldering the joints.

I may have the same problem with my presonus firepod.  From research I learned that its because of the firewire ports and/or the firewire chip.  They say its possible for the firewire chip to get messed up, repair may require flashing the firewire chips. 

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:28:38 AM »
i remember roasting my firewire chip on my macbook pro hehehe good thing under warranty..they have to replace the whole computer.. i was running both desktop and laptop on my Apogee Rosetta.. don't know what happened but the Rosetta won't work on the laptop.. the guys at the genius bar was great.. they gave me a new one.. 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »
MOTU and Presonus has had problems with the firewire ports. Had both, and I had problems with both. It's ALMOST ALWAYS the Firewire chip.

By the way, the one we sent to MOTU was an 828Mk3, which was supposed to be a better designed model. And the firewire chip had to be replaced... which makes it even more likely that the earlier 828 might have some firewire trouble too.

My suggestion: Send it to MOTU, and since you're going through the trouble anyway, have it modified by Black Lion Audio, and buy the word clock generator (also by Black Lion). Promise, it'll sound SO MUCH BETTER. :-)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:29:41 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline akosiave

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 04:44:18 AM »
Nag Techlink nako sa MOTU a couple of days ago. Just waiting for their reply sir. :)

Haay. sana buhay pa itong 828 na eto. It could be very useful for how my current setup is...