hulika

Author Topic: TUNNEL VISION  (Read 9668 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 12:03:01 PM »
Just because you know them longer does not give you the right to say it was a staged experiment...

Party nga in the literal sense dahil may buffet table at mga relatives ni Al who numbered around 40 people.  Pinaghirapan ni Al and Arie i-setup ng stage.  Kami ni Steve & Mel, naghakot pa ng amp.  Open garden type tapos sasabihin mo lang staged with the snub insinuation that it aint the real situation?  Common.  You never did appreciate what you experienced and the effort people but behind that.  Kasi lahat sa kamay mo galing right?  That was your conclusion.  Fine.  But dont ever say it was a staged experiment because it was not.  It was a band situation with 4 US$3000 amps. No more.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »
Here you are again mouthing off the value of your gear, still missing the whole point, and putting more words into my mouth.  But I'll say it again, tone parties are staged experiments. Dense ka lang talaga e.

To you it was just a tone party.  You are so self-centric. Pati celebration ng isang pamilya you view as as a celebration of your gear.  And now you look for pity at the hard work you put in "staging" a tone party???  Tsk tsk...  

Do you always know what people's thoughts and circumstances are?  Coming to the event all I expected was to have a small jam w/ the band (using our regular gear) to please the celebrant and his guests, which the band has done many times in the past (without YOU around, mind you).  I didn't know there was going to be a gear shooout.  They gave the time of the REAL party and I arrived on time for that.  But you guys apparently had been "tone party-ing" since early afternoon to coincide with a real party in the evening.  So don't tell me to appreciate that because all I appreciate is that I was invited by the celebrant, was fed good food, and had a great jam. My jam w/ Kakoi points up where gear ends and music needs to take over.  But I'm sure to you it's your gear that makes even Kakoi sound good.

Ang mahirap sa yo mapintasan lang ng konti ang gamit mo or hindi mapuri di ka na makatulog at nagiging personal ka e.  Di bale sana kung discovery, inventions or knowledge mo yan, e puro galing din naman sa ibang tao yang pinagyayabang mo!  Hindi porke kaya mong bilin eh tama ka at mas may nalalaman ka sa mga tao.  Kahit tama ka pa rin, di mo naman kailangan pilitin ang mga tao na maniwala sa yo!  

You have an uncanny skill to condescend on people. Tapos kiss-ass ka naman sa iba na alam mong may nalalaman, connections, or wherewithal....  Ang ayaw ko sa lahat yung matapobre... basahin mo uli yung sinabi mo kay A3ent, yung sig ni Al.  Grabe yun.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 01:20:23 PM »
can someone elaborate how a tone party is staged? I've never been to a tone party so I don't know what exactly that is like but I have jammed a lot where people try out other player's gear and then jam some more to see what its like. Maybe tone parties are just another word for "open jams" then? Even then, you really can't stage anything because it a "jam," an improvised playing of songs using settings made by whoever is using your gear at a given moment. Now, in a gig context, this still applies because although you are the only person using your gear, there is nothing staged about it at all.

I am just trying to understand why there is the use of the term "Staged" in the context of a tone party because if you really want to be nit-picky about the usage of the word "staged" - then you would actually NOT have to be playing but have a pre-recorded song playing over the PA instead, would you not? There is really nothing staged about a tone party, the way I see it because, if anything, you are leaving the resultant sound of your gear to the whims of whoever is using it!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 01:40:59 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
can someone elaborate how a tone party is staged? I've never been to a tone party so I don't know what exactly that is like but I have jammed a lot where people try out other player's gear and then jam some more to see what its like. Maybe tone parties are just another word for "open jams" then? Even then, you really can't stage anything because it a "jam," an improvised playing of songs using settings made by whoever is using your gear at a given moment. Now, in a gig context, this still applies because although you are the only person using your gear, there is nothing staged about it at all.

I am just trying to understand why there is the use of the term "Staged" in the context of a tone party because if you really want to be nit-picky about the usage of the word "staged" - then you would actually NOT have to be playing but have a pre-recorded song playing over the PA instead, would you not? There is really nothing staged about a tone party, the way I see it because, if anything, you are leaving the resultant sound of your gear to the whims of whoever is using it!

for me it's staged because it's not a typical gig where you show up and just play.  sure you tweak a lot in a gig too, but you can't change and try the other amps, change and try the other guitars, tweak before and after each song, or even stop a song to tweak some more like you do at tone parties (at least the ones i've been on... this one oasgomez is talking about is just one of them. he has a different definition of toner parties, as you can see)

as for jams, i agree they're different bec for me jams are about making music w/ others.  all of us try out each other's stuff or new stuff at jams but music is the priority.  tone parties are about experimenting w/ gear to get good sound. usually, secondary lang ang music making, if at all, cuz i've been to tone parties where there was hardly any music being played at all.  just making sounds and tweaking tweaking tweaking...

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 02:02:43 PM »
I do not view the celebration of one family as a celebration of my gear.

I dont look for pity.  At least do NOT call it STAGED.  

I am NOT kiss-ass.  Ako nga favorite pag insultuhin at murahin dito sa thread na ito.

IT WAS NEVER STAGED.  This is the point.   Now, since you brought up the topic of STAGED then is a STAGED and nonSTAGED event anymore less valid? IKAW ANG NAGMENTION NG STAGED at nagagalit ka if I dont agree with it.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2006, 02:19:22 PM »
oh, so thats what this is all about...i know nothing about that sort of thing because i've never really took part in one.

personally, i just tweak parts of the sound that I think need to be compensated for wherever and with whoever it is that I am playing with. Sure, I tweak but I am more for the setup-tweak n go type of scenario. But thats me.

Carry on...
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »
Oh, SYET! Here we go again, hehe. Hey! how did this seemingly so inosenteng thread become a very hot war of words flaming thread? In any case, it's fun to read, hehe. Carry on guys :lol:

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
TUNNEL VISION = TONE PARTY = STAGED = UNSTAGED = GEAR = AMP = EXPERIMENT??

ahhhh..

pakidugtong!  :lol:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 05:12:46 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
I do not view the celebration of one family as a celebration of my gear.

I dont look for pity.  At least do NOT call it STAGED.  

I am NOT kiss-ass.  Ako nga favorite pag insultuhin at murahin dito sa thread na ito.

IT WAS NEVER STAGED.  This is the point.   Now, since you brought up the topic of STAGED then is a STAGED and nonSTAGED event anymore less valid? IKAW ANG NAGMENTION NG STAGED at nagagalit ka if I dont agree with it.

reread the posts. you're the one who got all worked up nung sinabi kong staged experiment ang tone party. but didn't i also grant you that you have your own different definition? kaso, as usual, you don't beleive in agreeing to disagree.  

since ang topic ng thread is how a gtrst can learn to complement the whole band and sound good in a mix, there's a difference between creating tones in a tone party vs. learning from experience at actual gigs.  ergo, IMO learnings from one is more valid than the other. it's the similar reasoning behind why creating tones in the bedroom is not best practice.

what's bad and irks me is that you'd take cheap shots at me in various threads just because i didn't like the tone of your amp in one gig based on recordings. at least i had the respect, manners, and balls to tell it to you directly (albeit via txt the next day) instead of criticizing in a forum like you do!!  i also qualified my observation when i discovered that the distortion in the recording made my impression worse than they really were.  but that didn't matter to you because all you care about is perfection, and nothing less, all be damned.  

do you see people here criticizing other people's tone if they didn't ask for opinion?  ikaw pa lang nakita ko.  even the veteran studio engineer or gigging musician here don't do it, pero kung sila tatanggapin ko pa.

next time you have a problem w/ me, my tone, hum, whatever... tell it to my face will ya?  then knock yourself out doing what it is you do best here.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 05:20:01 PM »
Aray! Ang sakit non, ah. Bulls-eye yan, Delta, hehe :lol:

Deltaslim... so, how do you really feel about Oas, hehehe :lol:  

Ooppss! Sorry, man, just thought I'd put some funnies. Too thick of a tension here, hehe :lol:

PEACE OUT!!! :wink:

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »
So the issue is cheap shots?

What cheap shots offended you if any?

Talaga naman may hum ka.  But I still said your mid ranged tone complemented the sound of the band remember kasi butas naman tunog ni Arie.  So I dont understand what you are irked about.

By the way, I dont care about what you think.  I am just saying that since you did not plug into the Diezel, sayang.  Kaso problema, inayawan mo na ang Amp at my opinion ka na pero hindi ka pa nakaplug.

And I have not assaulted you character in anyway -- the way you did in the last few posts against me.  This time I demand you apologize because the last time I insulted you which was not character related tone related pa nga, you demanded a public apology which I did.  Sa sobrang concern na magapologize ako hanggan Baguio nagTEXT ka pa kung kailan pa ako nagtratrabaho.  Pati sa party ni Al, parang sinasabi mo na mas mahalaga pa sa akin ang equipment sa celebration.  Excuse me, nagdala ako ng apat na kilo ng liempo sa party at naghakot ako ng amp at cabinet.  Ikaw, mayroon ka bang nadala na pagkain?  Tapos sasabihin mo lang ginawa kong priority ang gear? I will not take this crap from you again.  You better apologize.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 08:35:49 PM »
Excuse me, nagdala ako ng apat na kilo ng liempo sa party at naghakot ako ng amp at cabinet.

aba... kung ganun eh iimbitahin din kita sa birthday ko ha para may liempo din ako...  :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 11:38:31 PM »
Now here's my P1.02 worth of opinion.  (2 cents if converted to US$).

Being "lost in the mix" can be categorized by as follows:

1.  Purposely backing off in the mix (whether live or in a recording) to give emphasis to the dominant qualities of a song or performance.  
2.  Not being heard in the mix due to bad tone-shaping, despite the need to be heard.

So if #1 applies to you for the most part (unless your a soloist), then hats off to your musicianship.  I understand that you play because you want to serve the song and not your ego.  You don't want to flaunt your tone if it can jeopardize the vibe of the band.  

On the contrary, if #2 applies to you for the most part, maybe you need to rethink your gear setup.  This is a common problem with younger folks who scoop out the mids even in a band situation.  All you hear is the bad type of fuzz being drowned by the bass and cymbals.

The question:  if you had a Gibson '59 Les Paul Historic and a Dumble, and you wanna play in a gig, would you play pop songs where people would not notice your playing at all?

Offline Ag3nt

TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2006, 12:42:08 AM »
nayari ka na naman no oasyabanggomez? kahit saan ka ilagay masyado kang maraming alam eh.  :lol:

masyado ka kasing humble eh, puro gear mo gusto mong pagusapan eh, saksak mo na lang sa baga mo yan while we watch para naman masiyahan kami. ang hirap sa yo, ang tanda tanda mo na ngayon ka pa nag-isip bata. para kang elementary student nyan eh, "wala ka sa lolo ko" "wala ka sa tatay ko"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

you are so pathetic old man.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 12:45:27 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan
Excuse me, nagdala ako ng apat na kilo ng liempo sa party at naghakot ako ng amp at cabinet.

aba... kung ganun eh iimbitahin din kita sa birthday ko ha para may liempo din ako...  :lol:
what the ef is a "liempo"?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 01:00:52 AM »
Quote from: Phil

phil -- no way... di ka pa nakatikim ng liempo?  it's a pork dish, cut in strips (yata), like all pinoy food may taba between the meat parts.  masarap na gawing pulutan and ulam.  another one of those things i miss about manila.  taga-cebu ka di ba?  wala bang liempo sa cebu?  ano bang usong pulutan sa cebu?  kinilaw since malapit sa dagat?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 01:07:03 AM »
yup Cebu...no such thing as liempo in Cebu.

well...from what I remember...a good pulutan there is anything free in the pantry.

....yeah kinilaw, sisig, if you like weird meat and if you have the "hook ups"....dog...monkey....lizard.....bat....any birds....snakes.....goats....and  horse's or cow's private parts (soup #5). :wink:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 02:44:44 AM »

itsura nun mukhang pork chop pero pahaba. perfect for pulutan :) di mo ba naabutan yung Andok's manok or Baliwag lechon Phil?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2006, 04:33:07 AM »
katabi ng inihaw na manok yan ung liempo sa ihawan sa Andoks..sarap! 8)  pampa-bata...
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 06:42:26 AM »
Quote from: SDMF
katabi ng inihaw na manok yan ung liempo sa ihawan sa Andoks..sarap! 8)  pampa-bata...

Langya! ginutom ako dun ah!...mas masarap yan pag may beer tsaka chiks na katabi...mahaba-habang inuman hehe. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2006, 10:08:06 AM »
here's what i know. hhaha. nakakagutom. ang liempo part ng baboy ay ang kinukuhanan ng bacon. yun na yun. para syang bacon na makapal na pag inihaw, TAKTE. ang sarap ng taba. ahhaahahahaaha. check out my growing gut when we meet during trades/deals. haahahahaaha

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »
Uy CARABAO!! Sarap ng bacon!!! Basta wag lang sa kalabaw! nyak nyak!! corny!! Pero mahilig talaga ko sa bacon... hmm.. yummy!!  :wink:
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2006, 10:43:24 AM »
AKO REN!!TAKTE! KAHIT NDE CRISPY! HEHE! :D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 11:47:02 PM »
So the issue is cheap shots?

What cheap shots offended you if any?

Talaga naman may hum ka.  But I still said your mid ranged tone complemented the sound of the band remember kasi butas naman tunog ni Arie.  So I dont understand what you are irked about.

By the way, I dont care about what you think.  I am just saying that since you did not plug into the Diezel, sayang.  Kaso problema, inayawan mo na ang Amp at my opinion ka na pero hindi ka pa nakaplug.

And I have not assaulted you character in anyway -- the way you did in the last few posts against me.  This time I demand you apologize because the last time I insulted you which was not character related tone related pa nga, you demanded a public apology which I did.  Sa sobrang concern na magapologize ako hanggan Baguio nagTEXT ka pa kung kailan pa ako nagtratrabaho.  Pati sa party ni Al, parang sinasabi mo na mas mahalaga pa sa akin ang equipment sa celebration.  Excuse me, nagdala ako ng apat na kilo ng liempo sa party at naghakot ako ng amp at cabinet.  Ikaw, mayroon ka bang nadala na pagkain?  Tapos sasabihin mo lang ginawa kong priority ang gear? I will not take this crap from you again.  You better apologize.

Whooo... I'm quivering to the bone!  Hehe... well, you got me tho!  Ok, I apologize for not appreciating the delicious lechon you bought for the party! You should have said so sooner. :-)  Kawawa naman itong SoCal Mafia, naglalaway na oh!!! LOL!

As for the rest of what you said, just reread the LANGUAGE in your posts in this and other threads.  Pati sa mga txt mo sa akin after the gig when I was innocently trying to exchange comments and feedback w/ you.  Biglang puro pintas ka after I commented directly to you on what I didn't like about your Diezel based on the soundclips?!

If you don't care what I think, why do you keep telling me na sayang at hindi ako sumaksak sa Diezel mo?  My opinion was based on hearing it live (which I complimented) and via soundclip (which I didn't like as much, apparently due to poor recording). Why do you keep insisting na sayang at hindi ako sumaksak?  If you keep at it, I might think you believe fingers do make a difference! ;-)  Besides, I'm a blues guy, you're a metal guy with $$$ metal amps...  Why don't you test your amps at rock/metal gigs instead of blues gigs or bandmate's relatives birthday parties (btw, your Vox sounded great on that solo number by Arie, "Foolish Heart" at Al's daughter's debut in that Chinese resto in West Ave. :-))  I'm sure they'll shine sa metal gigs and you'll never have to argue w/ people about their hammer of the gods tone.

I pity you, Oas. In one thread, I already tried to defend you against low-lifes like A3nt pero you still don't get it. Too subtle for you? Check mo ito, yung post ko after Venus_Isle after A3nt's post...
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=104251&highlight=#104251

Instead, you turn the embers of the thread into a conflagration by continuously putting words in my mouth, condescending on me and other people, faulting my playing and gear, and worst of all getting personal?!!  What does my tone, my buying decisions, my humble skills have to do with the topic?  For a guy who can buy anything he fancies and knows a lot about his stuff, I'm really perplexed why you need validation from me (of all people) and would resort to lowball tactics like that just to win an argument.  I responded to you several times in lighthearted manner but you kept upping the ante.  You gotta let people go and stop chasing them down and finding fault in them, their gear, skills, or their reasoning if and when they disagree with you.

PS - I told people who were texting me that I won't dignify you anymore w/ a response but after reading about the lechon thing, albeit funny, I do think you deserve the apology.  Although I won't take crap from you either, marunong naman ako magpakumbaba pag nagkamali.  That was a trick question tho... You got me... Kainis!  :-)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
TUNNEL VISION
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2006, 12:26:34 AM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150

itsura nun mukhang pork chop pero pahaba. perfect for pulutan :) di mo ba naabutan yung Andok's manok or Baliwag lechon Phil?
syet...I know Andok's lechon...BUT we go there to buy lechon not liempo....my cousin kasi eh....he didn't introduce me to liempo.....I know during that time, ang pulutan craze were the "sisig"...."sisig" made of "pork's inside's" not "pork taba" and meat only. :wink: