hulika

Author Topic: Uso pa ba ang mga bandang "nadidiscover"?  (Read 13493 times)

Offline IncX

Re: Uso pa ba ang mga bandang "nadidiscover"?
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »

kornbip, i read your posts about the record studio and the label thing in Davao... organizing the scene, etc. etc. etc. and oh, im from davao btw.

its really 'alice in wonderland' ... because if that were feasible, i would have already done that instead of buying basses.

i know, i tried.

the money is better spent on a new bass than trying to accelerate the growth of a scene that needs to grow at its own pace. i actually have a new custom coming in this month or the next (OT).

and quite honestly ... making money in music? ... sure, there's probably a few there ... but truth is, the guys with the best gear (and cars probably - havent seen their cars) here in pinas: oni cruz, oas, leech, karel honasan, abyss and poundcake, to name a few ... did not get money from playing music. i know karel has regular gigs, but i dont think those gigs can buy him the Foderas he plays onstage.

when was the last time you saw really good GAS gear from pinas based major label guys? most of them work in call centers even.

yes, looking at gear may be shallow, but its a big indicator of how much disposable income there are.

be realistic, play music because its fun. or well, you can go the showband route... i know a few guys who boguht Gibson Les Pauls cause of that gig... and i think i know at least 2 who managed to build restos and clubs using their showband money. it takes a different discipline, and again, is 1/100 chance in making it... i suggest you take it since you seem to be a big fan of high risk-high payment type of stuff.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 10:05:08 PM »
Ang uso na ngayon e ang mga bandang nakakapag-ipon ng sapat na pera para makalabas ng matinong recorded material.

Pabilisan na lang ng pag-iipon. :)

inosnik16

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:35 PM »
Discover?

Mejo, mostly nga ng mga band sa america ndi na nag-oaudition eh..
Pinopost na lang nila yung mga compo nila sa mga sites(mtvemerge, pure volume...)
Bahala na.. hahaha!

Pero dito sa 'Pinas? Nakow! Kelangan maPERA! hahaha!
O kung hindi man, may kapit! haha!

Dami kaya banda dito sa 'Pinas na magagaling?

D2 lang sa Philmusic dami nagpopost eh.. haaaiisssttt..

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2009, 02:07:09 AM »
Kornbip,

What I hypothetically proposed is the common run of the record industry TODAY.  So as it implies, you cannot get signed unless you yourselves would start to not love louder music. 

But there is hope.  Record Companies are struggling as indie artists.  It's like 10,000 Davids and the oligarchy of 4 or 5 Goliaths. 

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2009, 09:01:04 AM »
Kornbip,

What I hypothetically proposed is the common run of the record industry TODAY.  So as it implies, you cannot get signed unless you yourselves would start to not love louder music.  

But there is hope.  Record Companies are struggling as indie artists.  It's like 10,000 Davids and the oligarchy of 4 or 5 Goliaths.  

Be that as it may, I am still hoping for the best and being realistic by expecting the worst. I, along with, I'm sure, alot more kids, have the dream. We'll do what we can and see where that takes us.

I love loud music and I also love not loud music. I don't think I need to compromise my beliefs just to get signed even if the opposite is the truth of the current industry. Who knows, as I grow old, my preferences may change, but people such as myself, being naturally nostalgic that we are, will still listen and play the metal "classics" (by then) that we grew up with both for its sentimental and musical value.

It's good that you acknowledge the fact that there is hope. Right now, that is just about what's keeping most really talented people who live in really obscure places to continue making music while struggling with 3 kids and a mortgage. Don't take that away from them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:35:02 AM by kornbip99 »

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »
kornbip, i read your posts about the record studio and the label thing in Davao... organizing the scene, etc. etc. etc. and oh, im from davao btw.

its really 'alice in wonderland' ... because if that were feasible, i would have already done that instead of buying basses.

i know, i tried.

the money is better spent on a new bass than trying to accelerate the growth of a scene that needs to grow at its own pace. i actually have a new custom coming in this month or the next (OT).

and quite honestly ... making money in music? ... sure, there's probably a few there ... but truth is, the guys with the best gear (and cars probably - havent seen their cars) here in pinas: oni cruz, oas, leech, karel honasan, abyss and poundcake, to name a few ... did not get money from playing music. i know karel has regular gigs, but i dont think those gigs can buy him the Foderas he plays onstage.

when was the last time you saw really good GAS gear from pinas based major label guys? most of them work in call centers even.

yes, looking at gear may be shallow, but its a big indicator of how much disposable income there are.

be realistic, play music because its fun. or well, you can go the showband route... i know a few guys who boguht Gibson Les Pauls cause of that gig... and i think i know at least 2 who managed to build restos and clubs using their showband money. it takes a different discipline, and again, is 1/100 chance in making it... i suggest you take it since you seem to be a big fan of high risk-high payment type of stuff.

Being realistic, I naturally realize that my chances of making it big are not that well...big. But please forgive me if I still want to take that chance. You said it yourself, I am a "big fan of high risk-high payment type of stuff." :-D

Anyway, It's a definite pleasure to meet someone from Davao here in Philmusic. With regard to your "alice in wonderland" comment on organizing the Davao scene, I would definitely understand where you're coming from. Showbands dominate our city. I'm not saying they are not any good because in fact, most, if not all, showbands i've seen have been unbelievably good. To add to that, I personally believe that Davao musicians are one of the best in the world. Take South Border for instance. But again, i must ask you to forgive me if I still want to take the chance of organizing the scene in davao.

I am realistic but I am also a dreamer. Nothing will happen if no one takes the first step well, you tried so i guess that means the 2nd step for me. You are welcome to join me. I have resources in Davao. Resources that I know i can efficiently use with the knowledge I have gathered here in manila. I want to give Davao musicians a chance to show what they have to the whole country and I don't think you can hate me for that. I am simply sharing what I love to the city that I love and I love it to the point that I don't want some kid going to school at Sta. Ana National High School, start a band, and play at birthday parties and thinking that that is how far he is going to go with his musical career because his bandmates and him can't afford a plane ticket to manila or cebu where the music scene is booming.

If you still feel that my money should be better spent elsewhere, then forgive me.

P.S.

I'm not really a GAS guy, hell, I've been a drummer for years now and I didn't even know the difference between a sheet bronze cymbal and a cast bronze cymbal till last week. All I cared was that I had cymbals. :-D So i can't really say which major label bands have good GAS gears.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:32:01 AM by kornbip99 »

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

sa akin lang siguro bro, in my own personal opinion.

do the gig circuit like a madman and take all the gigs you guys can get, even if it's a freebie gig.

if you guys are really good, people will take notice.

like many of the bands I know, like example the TOD bands or Sonic Boom bands, they get respect and attention, but financially they don't really "make it", and still keep day jobs.

Cross your fingers and hope you make it as big as PNE or Cueshe, or Bamboo..... these bands draw 6 figure talent fees for out of town gigs.

But, note that PNE earned their stripes eking out the 90's underground bar scene before they made it big, and released a ton of hits before commanding huge TF's.

Cueshe are veteran artists from Cebu with years of playing experience under their belt, and Bamboo individually "earned their stripes" back when they were in their respective bands working their way up before making it big.

there are many many bands "discovered" every year, less than a dozen get to release albums through major label channels. and most of them never get past the first album

If you get to go to old record bars that still sell tapes, dig up the archives. You'll literally see HUNDREDS of tapes from major label bands like Ivory, Universal, etc etc that ended up gathering dust, even if they clinched a major label deal. you might even find never-heard-of bands.

Good luck! hope you guys make it.... pa inom kayo ha hehehe

:lol: :lol:
This is a forum siggy.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »
sa akin lang siguro bro, in my own personal opinion.

do the gig circuit like a madman and take all the gigs you guys can get, even if it's a freebie gig.

if you guys are really good, people will take notice.

like many of the bands I know, like example the TOD bands or Sonic Boom bands, they get respect and attention, but financially they don't really "make it", and still keep day jobs.

Cross your fingers and hope you make it as big as PNE or Cueshe, or Bamboo..... these bands draw 6 figure talent fees for out of town gigs.

But, note that PNE earned their stripes eking out the 90's underground bar scene before they made it big, and released a ton of hits before commanding huge TF's.

Cueshe are veteran artists from Cebu with years of playing experience under their belt, and Bamboo individually "earned their stripes" back when they were in their respective bands working their way up before making it big.

there are many many bands "discovered" every year, less than a dozen get to release albums through major label channels. and most of them never get past the first album

If you get to go to old record bars that still sell tapes, dig up the archives. You'll literally see HUNDREDS of tapes from major label bands like Ivory, Universal, etc etc that ended up gathering dust, even if they clinched a major label deal. you might even find never-heard-of bands.

Good luck! hope you guys make it.... pa inom kayo ha hehehe

:lol: :lol:

Thanks man! Will do! :-D

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2009, 02:14:42 AM »
para sakin ts really all about loving what you do na walang reklamo kasi its like this and like that

i spent more than half my salary income in 2 days rushing our EP sleeves and cds. kulay white nanga ako ngayon e.

manood kayo FLICKER FUSION EP LAUNCH mamayang gabi! @ ten 02 ,ybardoleza coner timog QC.
life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

Offline 13thchapter

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 03:43:01 AM »
for a band to hunger for recognition and fame requires work.

for the younger generation of bands, the easiest way to fame is becoming an local version of a certain SUCCESSFUL international artist....OR...play a genre that appeals to the masses.

:mrgreen:

Yeah maybe you're rigth But as i observe our listener are getting wiser today.
 example: the band CHICOSCI in new single "DIAMOND SHUTGUN"... IT'S BEEn a Big Issue for the commentators of NOT having Originality of compositions, styles and moves of the said band. Some said it's been copied from the different international band..from the melody and lyrics. It's also been questioned of being thier pilipino, Nawawala daw kc ang pagkapinoy ng kanta.

Whatever!!

still ORINALITY IS THE BEST!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:56:18 AM by 13thchapter »
"THE BEST KIND OF MUSIC IS THE MUSIC THAT MAKES YOUR PARENT ENSANE"

ROCK'N ROLL MGA KAPATID  "BEWARE OF ALLUMINATI"

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2009, 04:29:32 AM »
Yeah maybe you're rigth But as i observe our listener are getting wiser today.
 example: the band CHICOSCI in new single "DIAMOND SHUTGUN"... IT'S BEEn a Big Issue for the commentators of NOT having Originality of compositions, styles and moves of the said band. Some said it's been copied from the different international band..from the melody and lyrics. It's also been questioned of being thier pilipino, Nawawala daw kc ang pagkapinoy ng kanta.

Whatever!!

still ORINALITY IS THE BEST!

true, the listener are getting wiser today. :-D

di ko alam about their issue of not having originality of compositions.  :lol:

if some said its been copied from the different international band from the melody and lyrics maybe they will be questioned of being their filipino.  :wink:

i agree. still originality is the best  8-)

Offline 13thchapter

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:43 AM »
true, the listener are getting wiser today. :-D

di ko alam about their issue of not having originality of compositions.  :lol:

if some said its been copied from the different international band from the melody and lyrics maybe they will be questioned of being their filipino.  :wink:

i agree. still originality is the best  8-)

hehHhhe.. magbasa nalang poh kayo sa youtube comments...Dami kasing nagkakalat dun,, alam nyo na!!!

Oo nga, some of the Commentator said "americanized"

hahahahah!

pero walang impact sa akin yon, sa akin lang:

"originality is the best"

rock'n roll with your own!!

Offline moony044

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »
madami naman talaga katunog ang bawat kanta eh..not only in mainstream rock...
naniniwala din kasi ako sa sabi ng karamihan na
"there are no more original ideas, you take old ideas piece by peice and make something new out of them..."
its on how you mix these existing ideas para maka-create ng "bagong" tunog...
well thats in my own opinion...
ang challenge kasi sa bagong breed ng tao ngayon eh yung gumawa sila ng sarili nilang marka
in their own time...yung tipong kahit maubos na ung batch ng tao ngayon...maalala pa din ung era natin...
OT na ata^^ sorry..i just had to say it^^

Offline IncX

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »

I am realistic but I am also a dreamer. Nothing will happen if no one takes the first step well, you tried so i guess that means the 2nd step for me.

actually, yours is the 10th +++++ step...

i know this guy steve (caucasian), he HAD this studio in matina, you know, its the "most high end" studio in davao since it has marshall halfstacks and all ... and he told me a lot of things, pretty similar to yours actually... about "making it" and stuff.

i told him that davao is really different since its a "3rd world country within a 3rd world country" ... and he ddnt believe me, he eventually moved out of davao and closed down his studio. i also told him that his set-up wouldnt work since ppl are pretty abusive of gear and stuff... but thats another story.

then theres this muzika del sur thing... they tried doing that NU 107 meets Pulp thing in davao... and well, it just bombed. they even use to have tv shows... i wonder how they are now since that "mindanao music awards" thing they did only lasted one event and a lot of the entries were pretty mediocre.

before that, back in 1995, there was Etnikus, it was suppossed to be the "club dredd" of davao but i dont think that outfit lasted for 3 years...

oh well, i really just suggest that you play music for fun and not do it to "make it" ... i mean, here in davao, you have .005% chance to do something... at least in manila you'd probably have 1% chance to make it, which is a better figure. ok i admit it, i just made up those figures *lol* but i think they are pretty close to what really happens.

Offline 13thchapter

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:32 PM »
madami naman talaga katunog ang bawat kanta eh..not only in mainstream rock...
naniniwala din kasi ako sa sabi ng karamihan na
"there are no more original ideas, you take old ideas piece by peice and make something new out of them..."
its on how you mix these existing ideas para maka-create ng "bagong" tunog...
well thats in my own opinion...
ang challenge kasi sa bagong breed ng tao ngayon eh yung gumawa sila ng sarili nilang marka
in their own time...yung tipong kahit maubos na ung batch ng tao ngayon...maalala pa din ung era natin...
OT na ata^^ sorry..i just had to say it^^

Why sorry? may nasaktan ba?? haahah.. yeah i agree!!!, and i have a broad understanding about that matter. "MUSIC REALLY EVOLVES"... mas bagong tunog mas interesadong pakinggan!!

:D

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:28 AM »
Ganda talaga ng thread na to.  Sarap mangarap, kaso masakit din sa ulo pag masyado mong dinibdib... when you check the probability - it's like a total waste of time.  Kaya it's important na mahal mo talaga ang ginagawa mo, and that you don't take yourself too seriously.  Enjoy the road and your efforts - that is reward in itself. Hope that someone who can make a difference notices your work and decides to invest on it...
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »
actually, yours is the 10th +++++ step...

i know this guy steve (caucasian), he HAD this studio in matina, you know, its the "most high end" studio in davao since it has marshall halfstacks and all ... and he told me a lot of things, pretty similar to yours actually... about "making it" and stuff.

i told him that davao is really different since its a "3rd world country within a 3rd world country" ... and he ddnt believe me, he eventually moved out of davao and closed down his studio. i also told him that his set-up wouldnt work since ppl are pretty abusive of gear and stuff... but thats another story.

then theres this muzika del sur thing... they tried doing that NU 107 meets Pulp thing in davao... and well, it just bombed. they even use to have tv shows... i wonder how they are now since that "mindanao music awards" thing they did only lasted one event and a lot of the entries were pretty mediocre.

before that, back in 1995, there was Etnikus, it was suppossed to be the "club dredd" of davao but i dont think that outfit lasted for 3 years...

oh well, i really just suggest that you play music for fun and not do it to "make it" ... i mean, here in davao, you have .005% chance to do something... at least in manila you'd probably have 1% chance to make it, which is a better figure. ok i admit it, i just made up those figures *lol* but i think they are pretty close to what really happens.

Your right. It's sad what happened to Muzika Del Sur, your american friend's studio and Etnikus.  :cry: But hey, If Thomas Edison gave up after so many tries in making the light bulb, we'd be still be living in the dark. (well, maybe not, somebody else might invent it but you get my point. :-D )

P.S. Thomas Edison also didn't make any money in his light bulb invention, but that didn't stop him either. Don't worry you guys, @IncX, @rednas. I will take your advice and have fun while doing it. Actually succeeding will just come as a bonus!  :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
New report.  The whole record industry  has lost 3 Billion dollars in terms of record sales this year.  Everything is going torrent/download.

How can you get discovered if the discoverers are dying?

Offline kubetamax

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2009, 04:32:51 AM »
I was thinking about the thought of being discovered...and maybe the good thing to do is change the paradigm: rather than working hard to be discovered, bring your music out without caring if you will be "discovered" in the traditional sense.

Subject: Uso pa ba ang mga bandang "nadidiscover"?

Sagot: rather than working hard to be discovered, bring your music out without caring if you will be "discovered"

Sabaw: "Little Wing" - Mang Jimi (may toppings "excuse me while i kiss the sky")

Side dish: true, the listener are getting wiser today.

Uso: aywannobadinobadibatchu (sound effects) aywannobadinobadibatchu

Banda: Majorette > lyres > horns > drums > mascot

:evil:

inosnik16

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
masakit talaga pag dinibdib mo..

Lalo na kapag, gustong gusto mong marinig ng iba ang musika mo tapos, ang kaya mo lang naman eh mag-ipon ng 50pesos/day pambili ng strap lock o di kaya'y local Fender Nickel strings sa Quiapo at pede rin magtxt sa mga nagpopost sa forums haggling for items para makatipid..

hahaha! been there.. ^^

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
masakit talaga pag dinibdib mo..

Lalo na kapag, gustong gusto mong marinig ng iba ang musika mo tapos, ang kaya mo lang naman eh mag-ipon ng 50pesos/day pambili ng strap lock

you dont need straplocks to have ur music heard. 8-)

Offline teddygrizzly

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »
nakakalungkot naman tong thread na to  :-( hehe

tama yung sabi nung iba: basta ibuhos mo lang ang puso mo sa music mo at ilabas lang ang mga kanta. basta tug-tog lang.

Offline sinosimelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2010, 11:47:23 PM »
New report.  The whole record industry  has lost 3 Billion dollars in terms of record sales this year.  Everything is going torrent/download.

How can you get discovered if the discoverers are dying?

di ko nga magets eh... sana ginagawa ng companies ibenta din nila sa internet yung album. parang itunes. atleast meron din sigurong bibili dun...

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »
i dont know why the networks havent put up a show where different bands of different genre can play and showcase their talent. but this time, its not a competition, just a show where they would have these bands to their stuff. for exposure. sort of like JAPAN's MUSIC STATION.

im sure it will have a high rating considering mataas ang interest ng mga kabataan ngayon for local music scene.

and there you will surely find the talented ones with the charisma to connect with the listeners.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline doink_rules

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2010, 03:13:11 AM »
astig tong thread na to and I admire the heart of TS. that is good, when you dream, dream big!.  :-D im looking forward for those dreams to come true, one dreamer here too.  :-D
what the eyes see, what the ears hear, the mind believes.