hulika

Author Topic: JazzFusion  (Read 43400 times)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
baka meron din pong mahilig sa inyo sa genre na ito..kuwentuhan lang or even jam, or even be serious about it and form a jazzfusion group..

let there be freedom and meaning!
John 3:16

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
JazzFusion
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »
teka, hehe..

ang jazz fusion ba eh ay jazz incorporated with rock? :roll:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
JazzFusion
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
Ocassionally, i listen to Allan Holdsworth and Shawn Lane and Frank Gambale. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline darnel

JazzFusion
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »
big fan of wayne krantz here... arguably the best in the business
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:38:39 AM »
Quote from: progressive_pilipinas
teka, hehe..

well kapag papakinggan natin mabuti, jazz-fusion ay may roots talaga ng jazz dahil mga jazz enthusiasts din ang nag-pioneer ng ganitong sound o genre..and they incorporated not just rock rhythms but all sorts of styles like latin,bossa,classical,R&B,funk,blues,world music, name it fusion has it..depende kung ano klaseng fusion ang gusto mo...and maganda din experimentation niya with the use of different kinds of sounds that you can produce..

mas diverse din ung mga arrangements,accents, syncopations and time signatures and it also involves improvisation.

i hope nakatulong to progressive_pilipinas  :)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:42:52 AM »
Quote from: darnel
big fan of wayne krantz here... arguably the best in the business

i have a friend who listens to wayne krantz too..malupit nga daw..id like to hear his music..

my friend's name is anton..magaling na gitarista din pagdating sa jazz&fusion  :)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »
astig yung reunion ng Chick Corea Elektric Band, ang lupeeeeeet!!!!!!

by the way The Jaco Pastorius Word of Mouth Big Band Revisited is now available.--para sa mga taong mahal si Jaco.

Anonymous

JazzFusion
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 03:27:33 AM »
Quote from: rodney vidanes

Hanep yan! napanood ko yung live nila kasama yung GRP. Tumayo balahibo ko! :shock:  :lol:

Have you heard of Chick's Return to Forever? I wonder how they sound like. :D

Anonymous

JazzFusion
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:32:15 AM »
kung mag aarala ka jazz/fusion san pwede paturo? wala pa ako background sa kahit ano and i cant even read notes.  san ok magsimula?

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
JazzFusion
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:05:20 AM »
Quote from: progressive_pilipinas
teka, hehe..

well kapag papakinggan natin mabuti, jazz-fusion ay may roots talaga ng jazz dahil mga jazz enthusiasts din ang nag-pioneer ng ganitong sound o genre..and they incorporated not just rock rhythms but all sorts of styles like latin,bossa,classical,R&B,funk,blues,world music, name it fusion has it..depende kung ano klaseng fusion ang gusto mo...and maganda din experimentation niya with the use of different kinds of sounds that you can produce..

mas diverse din ung mga arrangements,accents, syncopations and time signatures and it also involves improvisation.

i hope nakatulong to progressive_pilipinas  :)

ok,, slamat.  :D
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline nicemusic

JazzFusion
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 10:14:58 AM »
You can start by listening...

Listening...

Listening...

Then imitating...

Learning the language...

Usually jazz based yung mga improvisation nila na may rock flavor...

Jazz fusion deals a lot with rhythm so the drummer plays a lot of role the same as the guitar player, bass player, keyboard player and saxophone player...

Try to listen to a lot of these guy's projects: Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckle(Chick Corea), Vinnie Colaiuta(Karizma, Jing CHi) Kirk Covington(Tribal Tech), Steve Smith(Vital Information), CHad Wackerman etc.

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 01:05:46 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous

Hanep yan! napanood ko yung live nila kasama yung GRP. Tumayo balahibo ko! :shock:  :lol:

Have you heard of Chick's Return to Forever? I wonder how they sound like. :D

Return to Forever is one of the fusion bands of the 70's..ok din ang sound nila at aggressive ung ibang compositions nila..talagang mataas level ng skills..siyempre
 :)

dati may makikita ka pang albums nila sa music one at tower records..ngayon parang wala na ata..o bihirang bihira..but wayback 2000-2002 ang dami varieties of rare jazz records tsaka ung prices around p250,p300,p350 lang pagsingle cd...dont know what happened to the mgnt ng tower,parang pumangit ata ung jazz section nila..

Anonymous

JazzFusion
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 01:24:48 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous
kung mag aarala ka jazz/fusion san pwede paturo? wala pa ako background sa kahit ano and i cant even read notes.  san ok magsimula?

wala ata nagtuturo ng jazz fusion dito tsaka wala masyado nagbubuo ng ganung group..pero ako i really plan to establish one and it's the kind of music that i am able to express myself freely, without boundaries, just pure emotions and music..

tama si nicemusic..you have to listen all the time and try to feel and comprehend what they do and how they do it.you have to put it in your system to be able to appreciate it with conviction and be able to play like them.it requires technical skills,expertise and experience to be at the level their at. and siyempre importante din ang feel at heart like sa ibang music.dapat makinig lagi,all the time talaga..try using earphones or headphones..sa experience ko,mas lalo ko siya na-appreciate when i used earphones kasi i can hear everything clearly while i'm at the office.you can really feel the rhythm,the time,the communication&reaction of each musician and emotions flowing here and there.

meron din improvisation which tests your level of skills how well u would react to the chord changes or how well u communicate with the band and tell a story or converse through a solo that ur gonna execute..masarap sya talaga when all the members of the band know what to do given a situation or a topic or subject..chemistry is very important.

iba talaga feeling pagna-achieve mo or how u were able to make them feel what ur trying to say kahit na you're communicating musically and not verbally.mahirap na masarap. :)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 01:29:59 AM »
wala ata nagtuturo ng jazz fusion dito tsaka wala masyado nagbubuo ng ganung group..pero ako i really plan to establish one and it's the kind of music that i am able to express myself freely, without boundaries, just pure emotions and music..

tama si nicemusic..you have to listen all the time and try to feel and comprehend what they do and how they do it.you have to put it in your system to be able to appreciate it with conviction and be able to play like them.it requires technical skills,expertise and experience to be at the level their at. and siyempre importante din ang feel at heart like sa ibang music.dapat makinig lagi,all the time talaga..try using earphones or headphones..sa experience ko,mas lalo ko siya na-appreciate when i used earphones kasi i can hear everything clearly while i'm at the office.you can really feel the rhythm,the time,the communication&reaction of each musician and emotions flowing here and there.

meron din improvisation which tests your level of skills how well u would react to the chord changes or how well u communicate with the band and tell a story or converse through a solo that ur gonna execute..masarap sya talaga when all the members of the band know what to do given a situation or a topic or subject..chemistry is very important.

iba talaga feeling pagna-achieve mo or how u were able to make them feel what ur trying to say kahit na you're communicating musically and not verbally.mahirap na masarap.   :D

Offline projectoobe

• Philmusicus Noobitus
JazzFusion
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
is jazz learnt or is jazz learned? i mean, if u ask around for a jazz teacher they all say " di makukuha sa lessons yan, sa jamming-jamming ka matututo". pano kung wala kang maka-jamming, at di ka kampante sa skills mo?

Offline jericho_c

• Philmusicus Noobitus
JazzFusion
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 11:00:57 AM »
then i assume it'll be harder. My friend always tell me that the best way to learn my guitar is by jamming with them. But i get nervous around people. with jazz, i assume it'll be just mostly by feeling.

but like nicemusic said, you can just listen and listen and listen until it becomes second nature to you.  :D

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 12:14:35 PM »
mas maganda talaga is to jam with someone who knows the art.  nakakahiya talaga makipag jam, ive been playing for almost 15 years pero alam ko limits ko andi cant keep myself from getting intimidated with younger players who are more technical and knowledgeable...pero kasi theres no easy way of getting the hang of it, you need to jam with other guitar players, its better than your records and backing tracks IMO lang  :D

Offline boyet

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »
Quote from: projectoobe
is jazz learnt or is jazz learned? i mean, if u ask around for a jazz teacher they all say " di makukuha sa lessons yan, sa jamming-jamming ka matututo". pano kung wala kang maka-jamming, at di ka kampante sa skills mo?

There are teachers na pwede magturo actually meron na ring courses na offered sa mga school of music. Makukuha yan sa lessons at sa application (jamming). Pwede mo rin namang pag-aralan mag-isa ang theory, harmony at proper approach pero mas ok kung may magiging guide ka or may makakapag-guide sayo. Di ganon kasimple ang jazz in fact halos kapareho lang sya ng classical magkaiba lang ang approach at ang discipline.

Pano kung wala kang maka-jamming? E di magjamming tayo! Let's take this as an opportunity set tayo ng jam sessions for further learning ng bawat isa....
If it is art it is not for all. If it is for all it is not art. -SchoenbergQuestion: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz?Answer: Start with two million

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
JazzFusion
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 06:47:25 PM »
Quote from: boyet

There are teachers na pwede magturo actually meron na ring courses na offered sa mga school of music. Makukuha yan sa lessons at sa application (jamming). Pwede mo rin namang pag-aralan mag-isa ang theory, harmony at proper approach pero mas ok kung may magiging guide ka or may makakapag-guide sayo. Di ganon kasimple ang jazz in fact halos kapareho lang sya ng classical magkaiba lang ang approach at ang discipline.

Pano kung wala kang maka-jamming? E di magjamming tayo! Let's take this as an opportunity set tayo ng jam sessions for further learning ng bawat isa....

sali ako sa jam na yan! i really wanna learn jazz but yun nga, la din masyado ka jamming eh. im pretty sure sir boyet here would be a good person to jam with!
oh about learning it, studying music theory will definitely help. i studied it and am still studying it. medyo nakaka lito pag ikaw lang mag isa so it's nice to have friends, or well, a forum like this where you can ask around. :) but yeah, the best talaga is to get a teacher IMO, so that someone can facilitate youre learning n stuff. :)
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline darnel

JazzFusion
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 10:11:48 PM »
have a friend who listens to wayne krantz too..malupit nga daw..id like to hear his music..

my friend's name is anton..magaling na gitarista din pagdating sa jazz&fusion

yup, malupit talaga... he is not too popular sa mainstream pero kung hardcore fusion ka, sasambahin mo talaga sya hehe :)

theory can be learned, pero there's no substitute for playing/jamming with people better than you.. they elevate you to a place na di mo magagawa kung magisa ka lng... its really humbling pero the experience is really worth it.. dami mo agad matutunan

meron din nagtuturo dito sa atin dati, c janno q... pero nagmigrate na ata.. c jack ruffo din astig, allan holdsworth of the philippines...
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 03:19:43 AM »
ok yan jam...sama din ako jan.. :)    pero sa jazz o fusion, dapat ur able to absorb the materials or music u r listening to..iba talaga ang jam sa jazz than sa rock o blues rock(though may blues din sa jazz siyempre)..it involves improvisation na talagang may conviction at hindi pattern oriented(pls check out the works/music of John Mclaughlin & articles about improv)..kumbaga out of the scales o modes you know,dun masusubok yung capacity mo to react sa mga chord changes..ul be more sensitive sa every note you play talaga and their relationships than thinking about what scale to use..

madali magjam pero minsan sa pinas pagsinabing jam kung ano-ano lang,oo nga technical kung minsan,mabilis ang daliri,puro harmonics pero minsan wla sa lugar or it doesnt say something..importante din u have a voice of your own and u should be one with ur instrument ..a solo in jazz o fusion is something you say musically instead of words based sa topic..

a jam is a spontaneous conversation between musicians and artists sonically.

ok din talaga may teacher para may guide o mentor.cge mga bros jam tayo ayus yan! ok din na makipagjam na comftable ka sa ka-jam mo..ung iba kasi minsan puro yabang lang din..nang-iintimidate lang.. :)

im no expert bros,just an enthusiastic self-taught musician ..i learn from the masters.

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 03:39:36 AM »
tumpak lahat ng sinabi ni boyet at darnel!  :)

kaya maganda tayo ang magjamming para we learn from one another..

try nyo minsan pumunta sa freedom bar para sa mga gusto talaga matuto jazz, every monday..Akasha jazz band lagi andun and you'll see how they do the real thing  :)

matagal na din ako tumutugtog,i started playing rock,metal..pero a friend introduced me to listen to jazz..sa una di ko naappreciate kasi parang ang gulo..pero the next time i listened to it nagustuhan ko na..i dont know why pero i guess that's where i felt and discoverd what music and life is all about..magkadikit din sila somehow..how u play reflects ur personality din.

absorb it and put it in your system..music is truly a high art--rock man o classical, jazz, latin, reggae,bossa,R&B,etc... :)

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
JazzFusion
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:58 AM »
Pano kung wala kang maka-jamming? E di magjamming tayo! Let's take this as an opportunity set tayo ng jam sessions for further learning ng bawat isa....[/quote]

aba, eto ata ang pinaka mabisa at mahusay na paraan hehehe nakaka jam ka na may matututunan ka pa diba? ayus yan!

Offline jericho_c

• Philmusicus Noobitus
JazzFusion
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 10:01:37 AM »
ano ba ang normal length ng jam sessions nyo? here in the states, wala akong kaibigan na gusto mag jam... :oops:  (sorry i'm awful at speaking and writing in tagalog but i like to practice)

Anonymous

JazzFusion
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 01:07:14 PM »
hmmm i dnt think a typical jam session will have a specific time table. duration of depends on the mood of the players and the feel of the music.