hulika

Author Topic: Pessimism: the good and the bad  (Read 7961 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pessimism: the good and the bad
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »
Yung pagbayad mo pa nga lang sa advance royalties ng label ang hirap na e, earnings pa kaya... we still haven't received any mechanical royalties from our first album.

OT: kornbip and skunky, di niyo lang ata alam, but I think the two of you know each other  :-D

Mukha nga. :D  Si Marco ba of Giniling si kornbip?  Astig nga at nabuo sila sa pinakatanyag na rehearsal studio sa Kamias corner Kalayaan (kasi iisa lang siya doon :D ... PINOY PENGUIN studio), na pag-aari ni Doc Randy.

Actually, liking to be famous is a normal thing.  Wanting to be famous is a bit of a stretch.  Demanding to be famous is ridiculous.

Now I know why trying-hard Salieri envied the effortless Mozart.

Offline bananagrahamskyflakes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »
Since a few people here have shared their experiences about music, I'll go with mine.

Been playing since 1987 or so in various barkada bands. Ended up playing with people who would later on be famous in their own right.

Come the new millennium, got a phone call from an old bandmate (and a very good friend). I join up with the band, going straight from new wave and into metal. We start by practicing for almost a year before playing. We played gigs where we could.

Since we couldn't find gigs, some of the band members founded a production, tried to hook up with other metal bands, so that a round-robin among the productions by the bands could be started. We were taken advantage of, and in the end the guys closed the production, since it was not profitable, both money-wise or mentally. But it was worth its weight in gold in experience, so to speak. We learned then that if we're going to do this band thing, we would do it on our own terms.

We kept on gigging, eventually landing a major label contract of sorts. Since I was a legal management major for part of my school life, I took a look and was horrified by the clauses. We laid down our terms, and said we wouldn't sign unless the changes were implemented. Middleman says sure, but when the contract comes back...they just changed where the nasty clauses were placed in the contract. We only signed after a clean contract according to our terms was given. Even then, we had to accede that if we were to ever come out with the songs we gave to them, we would have to rerecord it - they would own the recording of the songs, essentially. Given how our sound was evolving, it was no problem...after we dropped the two songs from our playlist, we haven't played them live since.

Eventually, one of us decides: form a studio, and later on, a record label.

He started talking to other bands, and eventually it happens: a record label. Selective or little radio or TV/Cable exposure, but somehow we sell albums. We eventually tour. We've had two tours so far, and this year, we've just gone to our first out-of-town gig that required an airplane. We're surprised that people over in Bacolod know our stuff.

Through all this, I have kept the faith. I have avoided getting jobs that would kill my nights and weekends - I even resigned from a job that was fairly lucrative, in part because it was taking too much time away from my band and the music.

I have always believed.

9 years going. 22 if you count since I held a bass guitar.

But my belief is to simply go out there with my bass, with my band, and to just play. screw getting rich and famous - that's just extra sauce on top, after all we've been through.

edit: not exactly screw getting rich and famous, but to be honest, I think it's still luck/x factor. I would appreciate the money (finally, bayad ang lahat ng gamit ko without having to use my money from somewhere else), and i won't mind the fame (who hates being famous, really?). It's just that right now, I guess, my mindset is: live, let live, enjoy life, it's the only one we got. If you hassle yourself too much, then just let go, and do what you think you should.

what matters is that there are nights when i plug in my bass, and when I hear that right "thump" in my chest, I can close my eyes, fret the note and I can hear a part of my life in the songs.

"Aum" by way of metal music.

well said.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »
News alert for those who are in dire need of being signed!

All the local record labels have postponed their proposed contract signings with new artists.  They say it was Ondoy's fault.  :?  Nalubog kaya sa baha iba nilang CDs? 

We have to wait til next year, and good luck sa mga nakapila.  And when you get signed, hope you can earn from your 4% share from record sales if you reach quota. 

Ah...the proverbial tests in life. :-)

Offline el dorko

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »
Mukha nga. :D  Si Marco ba of Giniling si kornbip?  Astig nga at nabuo sila sa pinakatanyag na rehearsal studio sa Kamias corner Kalayaan (kasi iisa lang siya doon :D ... PINOY PENGUIN studio), na pag-aari ni Doc Randy.

Actually, liking to be famous is a normal thing.  Wanting to be famous is a bit of a stretch.  Demanding to be famous is ridiculous.

OT: Pinoy Penguin is cool, we rehearsed there once  :-)

BassCog: Dude are you Mia's bro? She's one batch ahead of me sa Pisay, gf siya ng barkada ko. Kakilala ko rin pala yung new guitarist niyo, he's from UP Music Circle.
www.youtube.com/jebspogi<br />www.soundclick.com/jebs<br />www.facebook.com/ginilingfestival<br /

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »
OT: Pinoy Penguin is cool, we rehearsed there once  :-)

BassCog: Dude are you Mia's bro? She's one batch ahead of me sa Pisay, gf siya ng barkada ko. Kakilala ko rin pala yung new guitarist niyo, he's from UP Music Circle.

Yep, she is. pleased to meet ya!

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 05:47:05 AM »
Nice read.  Stories from the likes of Basscog brings it down to reality level.  Minsan kasi parang sarap mag buhay rakenrol! Sa sobrang galing magpackage ng mga record company, they make it look so easy - parang lahat tayo pwede maging overnight rockstars.  Tinatago nila ang hardship, expenses, talent, connection, strategy and compromises that artists had to go through just to get where they are. 

For me, I'd rather focus on what I can do, and look for ways to change or improve myself to get closer to that goal.  Rather than blaming the label for not noticing my sexy rockstar self  :lol:.  I hope that my music will be the one to scream "SIGN ME" (along with a decent fanbase...:P) without me having to actually rant it here in Philmusic.  And I agree with the others, loving your music is the best and safest foundation.  At the end of the day, all these rockstars will sit and play their music with just their loved ones or worse - themselves.  So parang walang kwenta rin lahat if you don't love your music. 
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline junkfazz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 06:24:27 AM »
If you wanna be a "rockstar", go for the label.

It's funny how other labels manipulate bands, offering the band 200k in advance, but they're gonna butcher you songs. Some label companies prefer not to hear any jazz chords or anything complicated sound on a song, saying that it's not for the mass, they prefer normal pop music for everyone to play it, making you more popular and them richer.

OT: +1 sa Pinoy Penguin :D

Offline IncX

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »
If you wanna be a "rockstar", go for the label.

It's funny how other labels manipulate bands, offering the band 200k in advance, but they're gonna butcher you songs. Some label companies prefer not to hear any jazz chords or anything complicated sound on a song, saying that it's not for the mass, they prefer normal pop music for everyone to play it, making you more popular and them richer.

OT: +1 sa Pinoy Penguin :D

not to mention you should follow the latest fashion statement too ... and that you actually have to be powwgeeeh - at your singer has to be.

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
not to mention you should follow the latest fashion statement too ... and that you actually have to be powwgeeeh - at your singer has to be.

well cgro yung iba men.

but there are other bands i respect na doesnt have to be necessarily fit or super gwapo. like the worms. ayoko nung 1st album nila pero lahat ng sumunod grabe sobrang galing ng mga areglo at melodies. not to mention jazz'and jugz' powerful voices.

para sakin the ITCHYWORMS is one example of a band that deserve to be where they are.

pero true......majority ngyn mga cutie pie singers na tisoy.
life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

Offline junkfazz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
IMHO, many artists deserves their popularity because of how good their musicality is. BUT, I am assuming record labels limit them their real potential in song making. They can do better songs, but there is someone responsible for not using that potential.

OT:
I saw a quote on Francis Reyes' facebook page. "Ex-'rock star' and a musician forever." Now that's what I'm talking about.  :lol:

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »
Mukha nga. :D  Si Marco ba of Giniling si kornbip?  Astig nga at nabuo sila sa pinakatanyag na rehearsal studio sa Kamias corner Kalayaan (kasi iisa lang siya doon :D ... PINOY PENGUIN studio), na pag-aari ni Doc Randy.

Actually, liking to be famous is a normal thing. Wanting to be famous is a bit of a stretch.  Demanding to be famous is ridiculous.

Why is wanting to be famous a stretch? Yeah, I agree that demanding to be famous is absolutely ridiculous even if you did have the talent(hence the term rockstar) but is wanting to be famous so abnormal that it becomes a stretch?

Some kids want to grow up and become a doctor or an airline pilot while some want simpler things like to be the owner of a sari sari store or a pedicab driver. The kids who want to be famous either through theater, modelling, or music are no different from these "normal" kids with "normal" dreams.

They're also no different in terms of education. You have pilot school as you have acting school.

They're also no different in job opportunities. Doctors get paid as musicians get paid. You have high and low salaried doctors as you have high and low salaried bands. You have unemployed doctors (kaya nga nagaaral uli yung iba para maging nurse sa tate) as you have unemployed bands.

Is it aesthetics? Well, you have beautiful and ugly lawyers as you have beautiful and ugly actors.

So why is it a stretch? I understand that not all people can be famous but it's also the same as not all people can be doctors even if they wanted to.

In my view, wanting and being famous is no different than wanting and being in a profession that people consider "normal".

The thing to remember here is, a dream is a dream. But it will only remain as a dream if the person who dreamt it does not act to make his/her dream come true. If there was a stretch, then it would be in dreaming. Some people no longer dare to dream because they feel that the system in place will not allow their dreams to come true anyway. That is where they are wrong. Nothing is impossible. Nothing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:58:28 PM by kornbip99 »

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
You should show your "Wanting to be famous" with your music... And buid up your fan base para may magsasabi na "make kornbip famous"... medyo awkward kasi pag sa artist mismo nanggagaling ang rant na I want to be famous, or I deserve to be famous.
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
You should show your "Wanting to be famous" with your music... And buid up your fan base para may magsasabi na "make kornbip famous"... medyo awkward kasi pag sa artist mismo nanggagaling ang rant na I want to be famous, or I deserve to be famous.

He plays drums for Giniling Festival.  Always a tough act to follow during gigs.  Even at that, they're struggling despite several MTV and MYX appearances.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
Why is wanting to be famous a stretch? Yeah, I agree that demanding to be famous is absolutely ridiculous even if you did have the talent(hence the term rockstar) but is wanting to be famous so abnormal that it becomes a stretch?

Some kids want to grow up and become a doctor or an airline pilot while some want simpler things like to be the owner of a sari sari store or a pedicab driver. The kids who want to be famous either through theater, modelling, or music are no different from these "normal" kids with "normal" dreams.

They're also no different in terms of education. You have pilot school as you have acting school.

They're also no different in job opportunities. Doctors get paid as musicians get paid. You have high and low salaried doctors as you have high and low salaried bands. You have unemployed doctors (kaya nga nagaaral uli yung iba para maging nurse sa tate) as you have unemployed bands.

Is it aesthetics? Well, you have beautiful and ugly lawyers as you have beautiful and ugly actors.

So why is it a stretch? I understand that not all people can be famous but it's also the same as not all people can be doctors even if they wanted to.

In my view, wanting and being famous is no different than wanting and being in a profession that people consider "normal".

The thing to remember here is, a dream is a dream. But it will only remain as a dream if the person who dreamt it does not act to make his/her dream come true. If there was a stretch, then it would be in dreaming. Some people no longer dare to dream because they feel that the system in place will not allow their dreams to come true anyway. That is where they are wrong. Nothing is impossible. Nothing.

It is a stretch because the record industry is losing money as more and more torrent sites and piracy sites are earning from subscriptions.  While I believe music distribution is rapidly changing its norms, I still think nothing beats having a record company with lots of money to back you up (and if possible, manage you).  It is all about the numbers pal.  And you can't proliferate your music to huge numbers if you can't have a financial backer.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »

When did i say "i deserve to be famous" dude? And if i gave you that impression, then accept my apologies as I may have been caught in the moment but it was certainly not my intention. I WANT to be famous just to be clear just as my neighbor wanted to be a doctor, which, and i'm very happy fo him, he is now. Ever since i was a kid. But that is not to say that the only reason i joined a band was because i wanted to be famous. I joined a band because I love music. My father is a musician and we have a recording studio business back in Davao. He was my first influence. Initially i though i'd get famous in the field of science. Seriously, i wanted to end world hunger. Sad to say that boat has sailed and certain situations had forced me to take "safer" routes to success. But not anymore baby! I'm willing to risk it all.

Question, what do you think bands are doing by posting gig scheds in Philmusic? We build our fanbase in gigs but do you think that's enough? It should be right? That's what i initially thought. But skunkyfunk said it himself. Times are changing. People or musicians in this case need to utilize modern advancements such as the internet. Exactly what i'm doing. Do i just rely that some fan would post something on the internet a write up about my band? (yes i'm still hoping but it hasn't happened yet). I take the initiative! I love what we're doing and i'm happy to write about it! If you feel awkward about doing that to your band then so be it, but we don't. We market ourselves. Isn't that what bands did before and now. Print posters for gigs, print tshirts and stickers you could give away. Music alone will not print those shirts. If you want something done, do it yourself, isn't that what they say. People have to act to make things happen in this world. You can't just sit back and say "Yeah, my music rocks, i'll just let them worship me and post something good about my band or better yet, make a website about me and just let them say all things good about my band."

I will work my fingers to the bone and do whatever it takes. And if it would seem to some people that I was ranting then so be it. I know I wasn't. I'm simply defending the fact that if I want something and I'll earn it.

Tell me, and i'm not being sarcastic, i seriously want to know, how do I show my "Wanting to be famous" with my music? It just might be the missing piece.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:41:49 PM by kornbip99 »

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
He plays drums for Giniling Festival.  Always a tough act to follow during gigs.  Even at that, they're struggling despite several MTV and MYX appearances.

can't get any truer than that! :cry: and, if i may add, despite after being signed to label responsible for making Up Dharma Down famous.  :cry:

So i know, just to be clear, that getting signed does not automatically mean a ticket to stardom. You still have to work for it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:27:00 PM by kornbip99 »

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
It is a stretch because the record industry is losing money as more and more torrent sites and piracy sites are earning from subscriptions.  While I believe music distribution is rapidly changing its norms, I still think nothing beats having a record company with lots of money to back you up (and if possible, manage you).  It is all about the numbers pal.  And you can't proliferate your music to huge numbers if you can't have a financial backer.

I see your point. hence the reason why I want penguin to get signed. By a label with money and enough musical vision to believe in our music and allow total artist creative control <-this, i admit, might be where the real "stretch" is.  :-( but i'm not giving up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:44:50 PM by kornbip99 »

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »
Tell me, and i'm not being sarcastic, i seriously want to know, how do I show my "Wanting to be famous" with my music? It just might be the missing piece.

Dito sa forums? Post more bout your music and your band more.  Tulad ng ginawa ni Skunk, he mentioned that you are part of Giniling Festival - focus your energy in promoting your music.  Also looks like you've been signed na rin pala, kaya lang di pa rin nag turn out into yung "fame" na hanap mo?  As for showing that you "want to be famous" in music, sa tingin ko Giniling Festival will have to compromise / sell out a lot more..., price of fame ika nga (gawin radio friendly yung songs etc...).  If you can't beat the system use it to your advantage, I'm no expert, just giving my observations.  Haven't heard yung demo ng bagong band nyo kaya ko rin nasabi na show your eagerness through your music. 

When I said sa artist nanggagaling ang rant na "I deserve to be famous", I was generalizing, at one point all of us are guilty of that, we may not be saying it as it is, pero others will get that impression, and that is what's awkward. 

Music Furniture

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
Dito sa forums? Post more bout your music and your band more.  Tulad ng ginawa ni Skunk, he mentioned that you are part of Giniling Festival - focus your energy in promoting your music.  Also looks like you've been signed na rin pala, kaya lang di pa rin nag turn out into yung "fame" na hanap mo?  As for showing that you "want to be famous" in music, sa tingin ko Giniling Festival will have to compromise / sell out a lot more..., price of fame ika nga (gawin radio friendly yung songs etc...).  If you can't beat the system use it to your advantage, I'm no expert, just giving my observations.  Haven't heard yung demo ng bagong band nyo kaya ko rin nasabi na show your eagerness through your music.  

When I said sa artist nanggagaling ang rant na "I deserve to be famous", I was generalizing, at one point all of us are guilty of that, we may not be saying it as it is, pero others will get that impression, and that is what's awkward.  

I wasn't really talking about Giniling.hehe And if i know us, we will not, as you say, "sell out". The same goes for Penguin. But let me define my definition of "selling out" first just to make it clear to everyone. Selling out for me is doing something you don't love, or being something you are not, just to get what you want. In this instance, the end does not and will never justify the means.

There are other ways i'm sure and i've already gotten some pretty good advices from the people in this forum for starters. And believe you me, it is indeed a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll. :wink:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:05:35 PM by kornbip99 »

Offline IncX

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »
And if i know us, we will not, as you say, "sell out".

i dont think you can sell-out if you aren't popular in the underground.

and only some types of music have an "underground scene" as far as pinas is concerned.

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
I like this topic,

OT how about the "rights or copy law" of a music comming from a band if the band moved or "resigned" to that music label?

as far as i know the song will be registered on the national library for book records.
may mga ganitong kaso sa US dati dalawang record labels ang umaangkin sa iisang kanta ng iisang banda.

ang hirap ng mag sign.

generally if you sign to a major label, they will "own" all the rights to the music. so they choose what to do and what they want with your music.

the only right the artist gets is as  the creator of the song (unless you also surrender that right when you sign to them), and this is where artists make the money, through royalties of the song they made.

when you sign, you basically sell your music to them, and get a set amount of money every time your music is used or sold.

as for owning the song, you'd have to buy it back from them in most cases if you want it back.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:48:50 PM by digitalcyco »
This is a forum siggy.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
i dont think you can sell-out if you aren't popular in the underground.

and only some types of music have an "underground scene" as far as pinas is concerned.

Not what i meant when i said "sell-out". My definition of it is in the rest of the post that you quoted.

Offline IncX

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »
Not what i meant when i said "sell-out". My definition of it is in the rest of the post that you quoted.

i read that, and nope... thats not it. its called something else like "doing what i like"

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »
i read that, and nope... thats not it. its called something else like "doing what i like"

For you maybe, but if you read the post I did tell you...

"But let me define my definition of "selling out" first just to make it clear to everyone. Selling out for me is doing something you don't love, or being something you are not, just to get what you want. In this instance, the end does not and will never justify the means."

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 07:45:27 PM »
..despite after being signed to label responsible for making Up Dharma Down famous.  :cry:

as an old saying my dad use to say: "it's not the school that makes the man. it's the man that makes the school."
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!