hulika

Author Topic: COMPRESSION QUESTION  (Read 3736 times)

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:47:41 PM »
now that bunyok is gone..
cno na magmo-mod ng CS3 ko? waaaahhh..

anybody out there who knows anything? (shoutout to BAMF and mr Lito Bote...)

kse kung ndi ko to mapa-MOD, i'll probably ditch this and get a new one.
suggestions na rin. what should i get? i'm choosing between an MXR DYNACOMP, DOD milkbox, ROCKTRON big crush.. no behringers please. i want something roadworthy.

help!  :?
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »
waaaaaaaaaahhhhh...    wala na si bunyok kung kelan naghahanap ako ng 7string RG

Offline pjrodz

COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »
nasan na si sir bunyok?

Offline cool2ny

• Veteran Member
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 09:52:45 PM »
out of country. . .

nag paalam pa sya dito sa forum nun, mga 3 years daw sya mawawala, parang ganun sabi nya

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »
Quote from: zasam_4
waaaaaaaaaahhhhh...    wala na si bunyok kung kelan naghahanap ako ng 7string RG

was he really able to sell that guitar? i think thats worth finding out imo.
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 10:09:15 PM »
minamata ko nga yung prowler niya, kaya lang kulan talaga funds.. naka-try narin ako finally ng prowler sa AP, sobrang sweet..

sorry boys, i changed the thread title to minimize OT posts. thanx.

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »
The MXR super comp is road worthy :)

pero.. kahit naman stock CS3, it has its place under the sun...in the end its just a compressor, athough brands and sound properties may differe, yung proper use of it in your chain matters more IMHO.

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 10:33:47 PM »
sonnyrayvaughn Posted: 05-11-2006 10:27 PM    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The MXR super comp is road worthy  

pero.. kahit naman stock CS3, it has its place under the sun...in the end its just a compressor, athough brands and sound properties may differe, yung proper use of it in your chain matters more IMHO.

SAKTO!! :D
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 10:57:35 PM »
sir sonnybabyrayvaugh, ano ba ang papel ng dyna/super comp? kasi nagbabalak aco to get me one o' those, pero dico sure kung kekelanganin co nga talaga sha eh.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »
in a nutshell, compression takes the guitar signal, and balances out the volume level to some extent. so yung mahina pinapalakas nya, yung mashadong malakas hinihinaan nya to a value that you assign thru one of the knobs. very useful sha for bass guitars (i.e. boss comp/limiter), when oftentimes you have one string that keeps popping out (volume-wise), tas yung lower strings mo mejo dull tsaka lunod. sa guitar naman think john frusciante.. actually very useful ang comp whenever you play cleantone stuff kase 1)balanse yung volume mo across all the strings, 2) consistent yung volume kahit mejo sumablay ka sa pag-pick, 3)modulation and time-based FX (delay, flange, phasing, etc) actually respond better to a compressed signal. mas klaro yung tunog mo..

mejo limited ang use ng comp sa dirty guitar sounds because distortion/OD has somewhat the same effect on the signal. compression before gain equals mush if you're not careful.

SRV: i guess ayos naman yung tunog nya. I'm just looking for something a bit quieter than my CS3. djahe kase, naka-single coils pa ako. badtrip. i think deltaslim has the same problem..

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »
Quote from: spankyrigor
in a nutshell, compression takes the guitar signal, and balances out the volume level to some extent. so yung mahina pinapalakas nya, yung mashadong malakas hinihinaan nya to a value that you assign thru one of the knobs. very useful sha for bass guitars (i.e. boss comp/limiter), when oftentimes you have one string that keeps popping out (volume-wise), tas yung lower strings mo mejo dull tsaka lunod. sa guitar naman think john frusciante.. actually very useful ang comp whenever you play cleantone stuff kase 1)balanse yung volume mo across all the strings, 2) consistent yung volume kahit mejo sumablay ka sa pag-pick, 3)modulation and time-based FX (delay, flange, phasing, etc) actually respond better to a compressed signal. mas klaro yung tunog mo..

mejo limited ang use ng comp sa dirty guitar sounds because distortion/OD has somewhat the same effect on the signal. compression before gain equals mush if you're not careful.

SRV: i guess ayos naman yung tunog nya. I'm just looking for something a bit quieter than my CS3. djahe kase, naka-single coils pa ako. badtrip. i think deltaslim has the same problem..

pre, noise suppressor ang ginamit ko para makagamit ng CS-3 nang matino. noise inducer talaga yung CS-3 e lalo na pag tinaasan yug sustain or attack. malaki ang improvement pag may noise suppressor sa unang-unang part ng pedal chain :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »
i''ve tried both the NS2 and it's behringer clone. ayus naman, pero it sort of takes away a bit of gain and sustain, wherever i put it. plus i think i'd like to keep my pedals to a minimum nowadays. real estate on my board is very precious now. ambigat kase naknangtokwa.  :?

so I was thinking, why add an NS2, when i might be able to find a quieter (and hopefully smaller) pedal, thereby replacing 2 boss-type pedals with an MXR-sized box?

i know some of you would say it's a lost cause because i use single coils and i live in a country where the THIRD PRONG doesn't exist.. pero ang ingay nga naman kase talaga ng CS3 eh. yan na yung isa sa mga pinakamaingay.. (daw, heheh)

so i guess the real question is: what compressor would you get? cguro mga $60-70 budget... i got somebody coming home in a few weeks kase..

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 04:40:20 AM »
the thing with compressors is, you dont have to set the sustain and level high... kelangan lang ng konti..

I have strats too and yung pups pa lang maingay na... i used to use an NS2 too, pero yung nga, im trying to reduce the number of pedals in my board, so tinanggal ko na rin. the way i use the compressor is its the first pedal in my chain...setting it all 12 o clock and lagi syang naka on.
it puts a pop in my tone, the sound jumps out and sounded alive for my ears.. plus the usual function of even-ning out the sound.
my compressor then goes to my wah then the Pickup booster...sa pickup booster ako nag aadjust ng volume na nawala during compression. then this signal goes thru my OD/Distortion pedals-Tonebone, SD1 and Badmonkey - 3 flavors of gain PLUS the OD/Drive on my tube amp.. then on to the chorus and delay pedals then let the BBE do its magic.

oops sensya na inexplain ko na yung effects chain ko ... na off topic na hehe.

so the CS3..like i said, its not an evil pedal and modding it is not as important as modding your SD1 or DS1...usually pag naka distortion ka na or at high volume where there is distortion or OD, yung natural compression nandon na rin, you wont actually need a compression pedal anymore...

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 07:05:50 AM »
SRV:

so where do you set your attack? i have mine set at 3 o'clock, kaya lang mejo me volume spike pa rin when i use my wah (which i have before the comp btw). it's really annoying. ndi ko alam kung sa EQ ko hahabulin or what. i'll try running it first before anything..

tsaka don't you find the CS3 a bit shrilly?

what's your experience with the supercomp btw? how does it compare with the dynacomp?

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »
i remember that thread.. ayus.. kanino mo pinagawa yung mods? i'm very interested in both mods actually, if it can be done.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »
Quote from: spankyrigor
SRV:

so where do you set your attack? i have mine set at 3 o'clock, kaya lang mejo me volume spike pa rin when i use my wah (which i have before the comp btw). it's really annoying. ndi ko alam kung sa EQ ko hahabulin or what. i'll try running it first before anything..

tsaka don't you find the CS3 a bit shrilly?

what's your experience with the supercomp btw? how does it compare with the dynacomp?

oo nga .. the volume spikes are pain in the ears .  I have the wah after the compressor, i think it makes sense na ilagay sa ganitong order, the wah makes its own adjustment sa volume ng sound, so putting a compressor after it might not make sense..pero siempre, nasa yo naman yan...

yung CS3 ko dati, limot ko na settings ko, pero like in my mxr now, its all at 12 o'clock.

i bought the super comp based lang sa nabasa ko..i know it not the same as actually listening to it... but sabi sa mga write ups, it can do what the dynacomp can do PLUS some more features on top...

good luck sa pa-mod..let me know how it turned out kung nabawasan nga yung noise nya.

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »
we had a gig just a few hours ago at this place on shaw.. ayuz. maganda tunog. a couple of guys even came up to me to shake my hand after the set.. no problems naman from the compresor. i was playing thru a crate solid state pero kahit papano nahabol ko tunog ko.. the noise was a non-issue.

i've been thinking about what you said, srv.. i guess maybe i don't really need another new unit. atake lang ng GAS ata.. so maybe just a MOD nalang (which isn't really that important i guess).. thanks.

Chito

COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 01:32:41 AM »
I just got a GoudieFX Compressor. A whole lot quieter than the CS-3 with better sustain and doesn't mess up your tone. It is a clone of the sought-after Ross compressor, much like the Keeley Compressor but costs at least $100 less. This one is a keeper for me.

Spanky if you are still looking for a Compressor, you might want to take a look at this one:

http://www.goudiefx.com/

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 01:48:11 AM »
ok ah.. boutique ba yan sir Chito? ang natry kong boutique compressors eh yung Keeley at yung Home Brew ComPressor Retro. ayos din but medyo pricey.

anyway, back to topic. go for the Dyna Comp pare.. ang ganda ng response nun for clean tone. think 80s pop songs. yung mga makukulit na funky lines dun naka-Dyna Comp yun. :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline chris_jean

COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 01:51:21 AM »
meron na bang super o dyna comp sa JB ?  magkano  kaya brand new nito?

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 01:57:01 AM »
ang alam ko lang sa JB Music Alabang wala na kasi ako ang bumili nun hehehe.. news update mga pare, by August-October daw may parating na MXR shipment ulit. but this time full lineup na! yahoo!! unahan na lang tayo sa 10-band EQ hehe :)

Chito

COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 02:04:01 AM »
ok ah.. boutique ba yan sir Chito? ang natry kong boutique compressors eh yung Keeley at yung Home Brew ComPressor Retro. ayos din but medyo pricey.

Yes, it is considered a boutique pedal. I met the guy who makes them. He lives very close to where I live so I came over to pick it up at his place. He even gave me a discount. :)

He actually demoed it for me together with his other pedals. One of which is the G-Drive which I would've probably bought except I'm up to my neck with OD/Distortion pedals at the moment. I need to unload some of them first.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 08:35:58 AM »
i had the keeley comp and the dynacomp and the latter came annoyingly close to the keeley. They almost sounded the same and the dyna was as silent as the keeley. The dyna works pretty well for its price.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline fretboard_cowboy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
COMPRESSION QUESTION
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 09:27:27 AM »
uy! meron yung friend ko binebentang compressor.

nandito...

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17546

i guess its really roadworthy.