hulika

Author Topic: What cables do you use?  (Read 100248 times)

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What cables do you use?
« Reply #475 on: March 22, 2014, 03:55:10 AM »
Madidinig ang difference pero may level ng tolerance, kahit nga pag baligtarin yung plug may difference, may naka mark ako sa cables kung aling ang sa amp at sa gitara.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #476 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:36 AM »
Madidinig ang difference pero may level ng tolerance, kahit nga pag baligtarin yung plug may difference, may naka mark ako sa cables kung aling ang sa amp at sa gitara.

agree. napansin siguro ng Asterope yan kaya siguro may preference sila

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #477 on: March 22, 2014, 08:12:07 AM »

Yup! Directional cables.Yung Planet Waves, may arrows sa plugs telling you which direction the cable must go para maximized yung toanz. Kahit Lava cables sinasabi na directional yung cables nila.

Lava and Dimarzio cables pa rin ako. Lava ELC and Dimarzio patch cables, although i'm planning to order Lava patch cables kasi mahirap itwist yung Dimarzio patch cables.  :)

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #478 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »
mga seasoned guitarists na kilala ko  nalalaman nila difference kaya lagi nila sinu suggest ang LAVA (e ako hindi ko madinig difference wala pa kasi ako LAVA tsaka bassist ako :-P)
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #479 on: March 22, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »

Electrons travel very fast, back and forth. There is no difference according to AES.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #480 on: March 22, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
Whoa. May difference sa tone sa direction ng pagkakasaksak ng cables?  Toanz is in the arrows na din pala.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #481 on: March 22, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
Yup! Directional cables.Yung Planet Waves, may arrows sa plugs telling you which direction the cable must go para maximized yung toanz. Kahit Lava cables sinasabi na directional yung cables nila.

Lava and Dimarzio cables pa rin ako. Lava ELC and Dimarzio patch cables, although i'm planning to order Lava patch cables kasi mahirap itwist yung Dimarzio patch cables.  :)

Quote from AES:

Directionality, or the idea that electricity flows better in one direction through a cable than the other, is a common concept among certain self-identified audiophiles. Belden did a double-blind test for cable directionality in conjunction with an audiophile magazine. The end result was perfectly random. Belden is still happy to manufacture and sell directional cables to enthusiasts. They make up a long length of cable, cut it in segments, identify the ends of the segments so they know how it came off the spool (length A->B, length B->C, length C->D, etc), and then let the customer identify by careful listening which direction is "better". Over thousands of cables sold, the chosen "best" signal flow is random, for segments cut from the same spool!
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #482 on: March 22, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
Whoa. May difference sa tone sa direction ng pagkakasaksak ng cables?  Toanz is in the arrows na din pala.

Very subtle lang. Not really a drastic change. Parang wala nga halos eh. I'm not keen on the direction of my cables. Kahit ano sa akin.  :-D

Baka nga psychological lang yun e.  :-D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:31:00 PM by cayle »

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #483 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »

No, not really. Marketing kasi kaya ginagawa ng mga manufacturers yan, para lang magkaron ng Unique Selling Point ang produkto nila.

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #484 on: March 22, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »
Very subtle lang. Not really a drastic change. Parang wala nga halos eh. I'm keen on the direction of my cables. Kahit ano sa akin.  :-D

That's THE word. Haha.

LOL on the "self-identified audiophiles" on that AES quote.

No, not really. Marketing kasi kaya ginagawa ng mga manufacturers yan, para lang magkaron ng Unique Selling Point ang produkto nila.

Yup. I was being sarcastic. I'm with you on the marketing B.S. on cable directionality.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #485 on: March 22, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
Very subtle lang. Not really a drastic change. Parang wala nga halos eh. I'm keen on the direction of my cables. Kahit ano sa akin.  :-D

Maybe subtle but it is not my interest to detect this very small difference in sound which is already negligible. Yes, it is probably psychological. Audiophile sells both Lava and DiMarzio directional cables, however, our salespeople can't really hear the difference when plugged the other way.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #486 on: March 22, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

may mga taong naririnig ang difference. kaya nga sabi ng isang kasamahan natin dito, na minarkahan niya yung cable niya.

ibig sabihin he found that his current cable sounded better when plugged in a certain direction.

sabi nga ni Leo Fender eh nagugulat lang daw siya sa ibang mga musicians na namemeet niya, kasi may mga kakaibang talas ang tenga.

si Eric Johnson nga nung pina refret niya strat niya, narinig niya difference. a friend of mine can tell the difference between the orig selector switch of his guitar and a brand new one.

so if you can hear it, yeah, naturally magkakaroon ng additional preferences in doing things. I RESPECT that. but if you can't hear it, e di okay din. whatever cable rocks your boat. i respect you too.

now buying a cable just because someone says its like that pero hindi mo naririnig, iba na din storya yun.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:33:35 AM by analog.matt »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #487 on: March 22, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »
i'm curious what kind of difference yung naririnig nyo?  More detail?  bass, treble, mids?

More clarity from the mini soar kit (lava mini soar cable + GH plugs), could be more treble and more balanced mids for ease of description. The Dimarzios tend to "dull" out the tone, cutting some highs and having stronger mids.

The Dimarzios were not necessarily bad, they just both sound different, either will work depending on what you're after. I'm using the Dimarzios now rather than the mini soar kit since the GH plugs were quite bulky, the Dimarzios really saved space for me to squeeze the pedals on a small board. I liked how the LAVA sounded, though.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #488 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
may mga taong naririnig ang difference. kaya nga sabi ng isang kasamahan natin dito, na minarkahan niya yung cable niya.

ibig sabihin he found that his current cable sounded better when plugged in a certain direction.

8< snip 8<

so if you can hear it, yeah, naturally magkakaroon ng additional preferences in doing things. I RESPECT that. but if you can't hear it, e di okay din. whatever cable rocks your boat. i respect you too.

now buying a cable just because someone says its like that pero hindi mo naririnig, iba na din storya yun.

That is the reason why some cable manufacturers gladly continue to make directional cables.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:58:37 AM by Tarkuz Toccata »

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
That is the reason why some cable manufacturers gladly continue to make directional cables.

then its not purely gimmick or marketing hype.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #490 on: March 22, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
then its not purely gimmick or marketing hype.

By pricing it higher they make more money, too!

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
Toan is in the money and arrows then.

I guess it would be more respectable sounding if I typed marketing "hype", rather than marketing B.S. I hope that validates my opinion on this directionality marketing hype.

― Duane Allman

Offline jannten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
nakaka intrigue naman yang mga cable na yan. :D di ko type ung MTO na cable sa ads. nasira agad. wew. e bahay lang naman ako. tas tinry ko buksan.. di ko type nakita ko. :D mas okay pa ung Cort na cable. malinis at mas maayos ung pagkakagawa.

ano ba okay na brand sa 1-1.5k na budget? hmm.  :) or dagdagan nalang para dun sa lava? 2.3k+ ata ung nakita kong lava sa classifieds
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:10:24 PM by jannten »

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
Toan is in the money and arrows then.

I guess it would be more respectable sounding if I typed marketing "hype", rather than marketing B.S. I hope that validates my opinion on this directionality marketing hype.

The cable manufacturers cannot ignore the number of customers who claim to have the ability to hear cable directionality. Dagdag benta din yan. Negosyo lang...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #494 on: March 23, 2014, 03:51:08 AM »
Directional cables, lol...
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #495 on: March 23, 2014, 06:30:36 AM »
Tama analog.matt kung wala kang nadidinig na difference eh di wala, ganun lang, na try n'yo na ba? psychological?
ako may nadidinig or more by feel,
tama din si cayle minimal lang, saka nag aadjust din yung pandinig, ngayon ko lang din nalaman yang directional cables na yan, hindi naman ako magbabayad ng extra para dun.
Sa instrument cables ginagawa ko, sa patch cables hindi, nakakatamad gawin at hindi ako ganun kaselan. Lulz

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #496 on: March 23, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
Tama analog.matt kung wala kang nadidinig na difference eh di wala, ganun lang, na try n'yo na ba? psychological?

Yes bro. We all play guitar of course. Araw araw nag pplug tayo ng cables sa guitar at amp. Haven't noticed any change however subtle it may be. I am sure I have plugged my guitar in different directions everytime hugutin ko sa cabinet or sa hardcase yung cable.

It doesn't float my boat... it is just the way the thing is. Ngayon eto:

ngayon ko lang din nalaman yang directional cables na yan, hindi naman ako magbabayad ng extra para dun.

Yep. I guess we share the same opinion that, no one should pay more for arrows on a cable when you can discover for yourself which direction you are comfortable with. (Provided if there's really a change and you are happy with it.)

:cool:

― Duane Allman

Offline ciswith

• Veteran Member
« Reply #497 on: March 23, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »
guitar to effects - vox coil
effects to amp - planet waves

extra cables - bullet cable, stagg (dinadala ko sa gig in case may manghihiram hehe)
Musicians are not mathematicians. feeling and soul over speed and technique

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #498 on: March 23, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »
What I use:

6' Monster Cable angled to straight 1/4" plugs (with arrows, hehehe!)  :wink:
10' Peavey straight to straight 1/4" plugs
20' Audio-Technica straight to straight Neutrik 1/4" plugs
20' Quik-Lok straight to straight Neutrik 1/4" plugs

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #499 on: March 24, 2014, 05:54:07 AM »
Yes bro. We all play guitar of course. Araw araw nag pplug tayo ng cables sa guitar at amp. Haven't noticed any change however subtle it may be. I am sure I have plugged my guitar in different directions everytime hugutin ko sa cabinet or sa hardcase yung cable.

It doesn't float my boat... it is just the way the thing is. Ngayon eto:

Yep. I guess we share the same opinion that, no one should pay more for arrows on a cable when you can discover for yourself which direction you are comfortable with. (Provided if there's really a change and you are happy with it.)

:cool:

since nag start akong mag gitara, may mga nadidinig ako or based sa experience pero hindi ko lam yung term, kagaya ng mga tone suck na yan pag gamit ko yung gcb-95 or yung cheap instrument cables.
pero sa ilang taon din na dumaan, di ko naramdaman or nadinig diff ng directional cables since may nag demo sa harap ko haha
nakikita ko din ginagawa ng ilang bassist sa variety (1 cable straight to amp lang sila)

main point, kung walang nagsabi hindi ko din mapapansin/madidinig difference kaya sa instrument cable na lang ako wala na sa patch cables.

mabilis mag adjust pandinig, nakakadinig ako ng difference sa bypass tone pag may nagbago sa usual setup ko,
new cable (kahit isa lang) or new pedal sa chain.  :lol: