hulika

Poll

pedal with MARSHALL tone and also sounds good when stacking with other dirt pedals?

DLS
2 (66.7%)
LOvepedal purple plexi
1 (33.3%)
rockett flex drive
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: BEST DIRT PEDAL FOR???  (Read 7191 times)

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
Re: BEST DIRT PEDAL FOR???
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
Marshally? Catalinbread DLS. Barber Direct Drive.
LF: Mojo

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
Cheap ones:

Marshall Drivemaster
Marshall Bluesbreaker
Marshall Shredmaster.

Get them minty ones with boxes and manuals. Flip em over ebay if you don't like em. They sell for over $150 each.

Oh, try the Marshall Guvnor. Had one that was Made in Korea, not England. I really REALLY regret selling it.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »
Whoops... editing... di kasi nagbabasa e :-P

Anyway... Marshall tone?

These I've tried:
Marshall GV-2. Pretty good for the price. Sounds good and versatile due to the EQ section. Maybe it's just me, but it feels lacking in the bass section though. Might make for a good end of the chain stacker.
Fulltone OCD on 18v. Rather good aggressive Marshall-y tone on an A/B tube amp. Might not have enough gain for chug chug, but it gets to rock out great. As for stacking it at the end of the chain... I think it might go well. Kaso depende pa rin sa setup at sa tonal preferrence mo.

I wish I could A/B these to a real Marshall amp though.

As for the other Marshall in-a-box pedals, I've honestly got no idea apart from videos in YouTube at subok subok sa mga tindahan.

Hope this helps.  :-D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:07:42 PM by voidmain »
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline donard

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
a marshall stack tone get a boss sd2

isa pa yung britmod ni mark v panalo din
Ibanez RG321MH RB, Artec GIOVANNI Custom Humbucker GCH2 Bridge and Neck,Ibanez WD7, Fulltone OCD V4, Boss CE2, Boss HR2, EHX Holystain,MI Audio Crunchbox, Boss RV3, Unoh PSU, Dunlop Jazz III

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,220146.0.html

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
since it's supposed to sit after your OD and fuzz, why not get a booster? i use one, pero mine has a Grit Switch if i want some added grit, exactly how i wanted it when i built it.

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
finally, this thread went right :-D.. thanks for those people who read with comprehension..

sir turi was right this amp farted on high gain, that's why changing the speaker was the first thing i did... next was the tube with JJ's tube, then biasing it.. JJ tube recommend to biased it into 85-90..now i think it sound just perfect for my purpose(clean and slight OD)..but still the OD of this amp is not getting where i want to(for bluesy stuff its just fine)that's why im looking for a pedal..not a decent amp or guitar..

i would check the TIM, i think thats the most transparent OD, but idk about the stacking ability, coz this pedal was made by paul cochrane to push a marshall amp..

and for the RAT i think thurstone moore heavily modified it(lahat naman ata ng gear ng sonic youth was heavily modified, kaya yung tunog nila sa kanila lang)..so getting a stock rat might still keep me searching...
and for shields he uses a effector rocket 13, that's why im trying to search a dirt pedal that will be good stacking with a fuzz to somehow get into this soundscape..

btw thanks guys for suggesting some..will try to check all the pedal suggested..
and mark v's shredhead sounds interesting..and most of all made by a kababayan, i will try to contact mark if he ships to europe...

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »
OR i just remembered....Skreddy pedals yung screwdriver or screwdriver deluxe. Ang tagal ko ng gustong kumuha nito pero i cant have all the toys anymore kasi may junior na ako.

Ive listened to soundclips of this pedal loads of times and i can just imagine it great stacked with a fuzz.
But of course i could be wrong.

Oh i miss my GASsing ol days  :oops:. Stay single boys.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline oracodon

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »
for the love of gawd.. :roll:
The TS is asking what dirt pedal will be best for his setup.. Not amp. Not guitar.
+1  :roll:

Hmm, if you're seeking for that Timmy pedal, some say that the Cool Cat Transparent OD is almost a clone of it - much cheaper as they say. Go look for gearmanndude's A/B video for that on youtube.

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:27 PM »
skreddy screwdriver...i also like it, but five months of waiting and a downpayment is a deal breaker..

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »
skreddy screwdriver...i also like it, but five months of waiting and a downpayment is a deal breaker..

5 months wait for a pedal is only a day for a true gear slut  :lol: :wink:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »
+1  :roll:

Hmm, if you're seeking for that Timmy pedal, some say that the Cool Cat Transparent OD is almost a clone of it - much cheaper as they say. Go look for gearmanndude's A/B video for that on youtube.

i thought Cool cat was a clone of OCD,not the timmy pedal..

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »
i thought Cool cat was a clone of OCD,not the timmy pedal..
Reportedly,

Cool cat drive = OCD
Cool cat transparent OD = Timmy
Cool cat distortion = BB preamp
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 04:18:20 AM »
Reportedly,

Cool cat drive = OCD
Cool cat transparent OD = Timmy
Cool cat distortion = BB preamp

thanks for clearing..
i will try them, for the price, you cant go wrong with those cool cats
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:32:37 AM by zvexfuzz »

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
went to store, sinubukan ko yung mga cool cats,,they sound decent,,but the built structure, gawa sa plastic. i don't think i can gig with those pedal..nakkatakot apakan parang mababasag..

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »
went to store, sinubukan ko yung mga cool cats,,they sound decent,,but the built structure, gawa sa plastic. i don't think i can gig with those pedal..nakkatakot apakan parang mababasag..

no sir. cool cats are not housed in plastic. maybe the ones you tried were the FAB series. the Cool cats are housed in metal enclosures.

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
no sir. cool cats are not housed in plastic. maybe the ones you tried were the FAB series. the Cool cats are housed in metal enclosures.

damn!! mali na naman ako..lol thank you sir for correcting me..di ko kasi tinanong kung ano yung mga pedal, basta danelectro try ko, di ko alam kung fab or cool yung..ahaha thanks sir

anyway the dls is my first option..check this video and we also have the same amp..so i think i found the one..haha

the dls as the main crunch then he kicked in the muff(sovtek) at around 1:50...sounds the way i wanted,, i might try to pull the trigger on DLS..hopefully this month..

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:20:38 PM by zvexfuzz »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
damn!! mali na naman ako..lol thank you sir for correcting me..di ko kasi tinanong kung ano yung mga pedal, basta danelectro try ko, di ko alam kung fab or cool yung..ahaha thanks sir

anyway the dls is my first option..check this video and we also have the same amp..so i think i found the one..haha

the dls as the main crunch then he kicked in the muff(sovtek) at around 1:50...sounds the way i wanted,, i might try to pull the trigger on DLS..hopefully this month..

narecommend na rin sa akin yung Muff plus other dirt pedal sa Seymour Duncan forums. Big Muff into DS-1 yung recommendation.
the Cool Cats are really good pedals, especially for their price. if you're going for a DLS, pm mo lang si sir micsis. i think he still has one in stock.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:25:30 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

LOL :lol: Rehouse is a solution to that. I guess cool cats are true bypass right? If it is, then there's no problem rehousing it to a MXR type box. :-D

And yea, as for the DLS, try purchasing the original more than the clone. Clone sounds way too far against the authentic, isn't it Turi? Paolo_du has my DLS clone. So far he liked it. Try asking him if you could give it a try. :-D

Offline rjthemute

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »

and mark v's shredhead sounds interesting..and most of all made by a kababayan, i will try to contact mark if he ships to europe...

Dude's in europe I believe...

...but yeah, dig the DLS + muff tone in the clip

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »

afaik, he already shipped some shredheads outside the philippines.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 02:54:59 AM »

he will. that's for sure.
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 03:12:02 AM »

My friend has that same fuzz. He's getting rid of it. email me at epictone.com@gmail.com if you're interested.

I'll talk to MarkV to arrange the Shredhead shipped to you. While you're at it. Check out his DS1 Brit mod. I'm having one made as soon as I can find a decent DS1. Honestly, I really liked it. And I tried it on a Fender Blues deluxe.

As for your amp. It's a good thing those mods did it for you. I thought of having some electronics done to mine also when I had the same amp. But I was entirely sure it will fart on high gain. Sold it. Got a Sovtek Mig 50 head and an orange 2x12 loaded with Celestion Greebacks. Soon to be replaced with Weber Alnicos. BROOOOOTALZZZZZZZ.

On high gain. I guess you're not into the wait list thing. But you might want to look at Tone Czar Effects. I placed an order for a Tone Czar Open Haus and Dove. The Open Haus will be extremely high gain as I was told by Ed (builder). Nifty prices. But it's an investment. I'm on the list for the second version. Ed asked me if I wanted it a little quieter (less hiss on higher settings), I declined. I wanted it maxed out. Expecting both pedals 2nd - 3rd quarter 2010. Long but it's OK. Think of them as forced savings.

TIM and Timmy - Placed orders for those too. Had a TIM. Regret selling it. Had one custom made with Toggles for clipping flavours. Timmy's all stock. I don't think Paul modifies these. Wanted the real thing. Should probably get both this month or latest January. Waiting wasn't a problem for me. You know how these builders are when orders pile up.

This is something that I really want to try out for myself too. Only way to find out I guess.
+1  :roll:

Skreddy pedals - Had both the Pink Flesh and Mayo. Both great pedals. Smashing Pumkins galore. Regret selling both. Get the Mayo. Stack it with the Shredhead. Just get it on ebay. Oh, get the one with the mids switch. Prepare to spend though.

OT: Where in EU are you? Here's a guy that's a total nut on pedals. And his music is brootalz too. Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/xtimehascomex

On Fuzz - Try Devi's Rocket and Shoe Gazer pedals. I just based it on youtube.com. Im a fuzz nut. And for more info on muff fuzzes, go here: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,161179.msg2179930.html#msg2179930

Cables - what are you using. This is as important as the next pedal that you buy too. Try VOVOX Link Protect A or Sonorous. Total clarity.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:15:59 AM by turiguiliano »

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »
thank you sir turi... yup the mod on my fender just fine..pero may mga settings pa rin na nagfafart(high gain na talga),specially sa high notes..but im not into that teritory of gain so its just fine for me..i'm more into clean sound(which this amp is best for, and the reason i bought it, this amp makes vox ac15 with alnico sound so tired and dull.. atleast to my ear coz i had the chance to compare the two before i bought it and ended up to blues deluxe)the maximun gain i want to achieve siguro ay yung tone ng \black keys/, and kaya naman ng amp yung ganung gain..although Dan Auerbach used Fender Custom 57 twin amp at HIwatt..

im looking for a dirt pedal that will served as "tone conditioner", kasi pag yung fuzz directly sa fender ay hinde kaaya-aya..masyado matalas yung high end freq.. i had also muff before then shift to muff with tone wicker,tapos pinalitan ko ng russian muff, then for my last attempt i got the Musket Fuzz(also sound good with the my empress delay(tape mode)), which i think the best of what i'v tried and got..sa marshall amp(jcm800) pero sa fender amp, malabo,(ayaw ko naman,palitan yung amp kasi hinde siguro ako makakahanap ng tunog ng clean fender amp sa stomp box) that's why my bandmate suggested to have a pedal that voiced ala marshall, so i tried to post it here, for some info about those pedals(MIB)..and so far the DLS got my ear..
also you'v got a good taste for fuzz, devi ever rocket ang gusto ko kung sakaling bibili pa ako ng fuzz o kaya yung deeptrip pedal(hellbender) :cry: dami choices wala naman pera..haha

thanks to all the suggestions..appreciate them all..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:09:55 PM by zvexfuzz »

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »
Shredhead, like many of us suggests here  :-)

OT: onga naman stick to the thread topic  :-P

...raybrig Reads back the PNE thread...
zzzzzzz

Offline zvexfuzz

• Netizen Level
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »
bjf sweet honey od is also good..dami talga options, hinde ko alam kung saan papunta, and they all sounds gooood...my life is a mess..