hulika

Author Topic: Do you have to analyze jazz to appreciate it?  (Read 9356 times)

william251082

Re: Do you have to analyze jazz to appreciate it?
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2007, 03:57:23 AM »
you only need an open mind and a bit of common sense to appreciate good music...

william251082

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 01:18:02 AM »
When you start to think of notes as scales/modes, it is no longer music but academics. Music is making good melodies and rhythm, all the analysis in the world could not make you a better player. It's gonna make you a great music analyst though, if that's what you want. It takes more than the best analyst in the world to analyze what great artist does. This is art not math!

Offline jeff_proX40

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 06:49:07 AM »
When you start to think of notes as scales/modes, it is no longer music but academics. Music is making good melodies and rhythm, all the analysis in the world could not make you a better player. It's gonna make you a great music analyst though, if that's what you want. It takes more than the best analyst in the world to analyze what great artist does. This is art not math!

This is absolutely correct. Art is what you feel and what you feel when listening or playing the song is the art of it. Great musicians like miles davis, buddy rich, Ray Charles etch. do good in creating musical pieces and arrangements but did you notice that when they feel good at what they do during concerts they just let the music consume them and leave what was written away. Artistry is inside the heart not on a piece of paper. +1 for you william251082
Just let your music fill the empty spaces in you. It's all you have so take advantage of it. It's a gift!

Offline rockyteer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »
I don't understand the complex structures of jazz playing, but I love pieces from John Coltrane and Miles Davis, and Brad Mehldau. Coltrane in particular, opened my eyes to jazz.