hulika

Author Topic: Tone is in the fingers...  (Read 7340 times)

Offline Kulas

Tone is in the fingers...
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 11:24:02 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
It's fun to buy and try new stuff. But cooler still is knowing that the biggest part of your tone is literally right at your fingertips. Think of how powerful a message that would be to kids, if they believe that they can walk into a jam and not be afraid they didn't bring their $$$ amp, gtr, or pedals.

amen to that brotha! yup tama yan, ako kasi medyo muntik na akong maging GAS-boy eh, hehe. pero yun nga, i think i've acquired naman na the gear i want, and yun nga, i just need the skill to back it up, hehe. as for tone, as is, ok na tone ng gamit ko, pero i'm sure it would get better as i get better, hehe. now, can i be someone's padawan master jedi? hehehe

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 03:49:46 PM »
Quote from: tolits
For me tone comes from the soul, then transmitted to the fingers, especially sa blues, it has so much emotion involved that you can be able to translate it to the fingers and most especially to the vocals, thats why I came up with our band,s name, SOULBENDERS, coz I believe that each time you bend the strings, it should come from your soul in order to relay your emotions. Bigat no? Corny ko!

Di ako matawa kasi sinabi mo talaga on the air yan sa NU107 e!!!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 04:23:14 PM »
Quote from: Kulas
It's fun to buy and try new stuff. But cooler still is knowing that the biggest part of your tone is literally right at your fingertips. Think of how powerful a message that would be to kids, if they believe that they can walk into a jam and not be afraid they didn't bring their $$$ amp, gtr, or pedals.

amen to that brotha! yup tama yan, ako kasi medyo muntik na akong maging GAS-boy eh, hehe. pero yun nga, i think i've acquired naman na the gear i want, and yun nga, i just need the skill to back it up, hehe. as for tone, as is, ok na tone ng gamit ko, pero i'm sure it would get better as i get better, hehe. now, can i be someone's padawan master jedi? hehehe

Kulas,

pareho tayo ng sitwasyon... kaso wala namang master jedi mag-presenta, eh....

so, so far the only tone I get out of my fingers is when the lady I'm with says: "OOOh, veggie.. oh, veggie... Don't stop!!!... DOn't stoP!!!..."  :wink:   :mrgreen:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 04:46:08 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe

Kulas,

so, so far the only tone I get out of my fingers is when the lady I'm with says: "OOOh, veggie.. oh, veggie... Don't stop!!!... DOn't stoP!!!..."  :wink:   :mrgreen:

Dear Mr. Vegetablejoe,

I am trying my bestest and mostest to suppress the thought. And i'm damn sure Deacon Blues is too...

kumbayah...

;)
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 04:56:23 PM »
...so, so far the only tone I get out of my fingers is when the lady I'm with says: "OOOh, veggie.. oh, veggie... Don't stop!!!... DOn't stoP!!!..."  :wink:   :mrgreen:

That's the English abridged version. Here's the Director's cut:

"Um, Aray What is dat? Is dat your Pinyot? O my god it''s very very big! Too big yung [sausage] mo... Ay Diyos ko... oooh! O ano na? Is dat the tongue? O yes the tongue, Not the finger! Yes the finger! Putang inang [gooey brown stuff]! Sinong nanay mo? Sinong nanay mo? SINONG NANAY MO!!!! AY DIYOS KO! sandali let me wipe your mouth "

I wish I had an mp3 of that. Gawin kong ringtone!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »

i'm sure someone here has an mp3 of it...

so its settled? its in da pinger nga?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala

yes, apparently a definitive answer was given years ago by Elizabeth Ramsey.  :-)

Offline toybitz

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

ako din ganyan nung una...pero, sandaling una lang iyon...natuwa ako sa mga guitara at mejo naging hobby na din...
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 12:56:46 AM »
Kulas,

i think this is the best arguement that tone is in the fingers!  saying that, parang ayaw ko nang hiramin ulit mga gitara mo ah... hehehe :lol:

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 07:58:13 AM »
OT:

galing ano, 'ti-tingnan' will be blocked by the censor bot but "putang inang [gooey brown stuff]" is displayed for all the forum to see  :mrgreen:
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala

yes, apparently a definitive answer was given years ago by Elizabeth Ramsey.  :-)

its also in da face.

Offline haringulan

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »

wish partly granted, you still need to convert to mp3 for your ringing pleasure :-)
http://www.freewebs.com/haringulan/Nanaymo.zip

note: i'll be removing that file from the link by the end of the week.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 10:00:21 AM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
Kulas,

i think this is the best arguement that tone is in the fingers!  saying that, parang ayaw ko nang hiramin ulit mga gitara mo ah... hehehe :lol:

i can't disagree! its a damn good argument! (unless one prefers machines).
next time i use one of vegetablejoe's stuff, i'm gonna wear rubber gloves, or clean the guitar with disinfectant first (to think i was gosh-damning his greco loaded with kinmans strat! arrgh! hahahaha)... :D

Ron Kirn

Offline tumorwarrior

• Veteran Member
Re: Tone is in the fingers...
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 11:26:26 AM »

I think major part nung blues tone is how your pick or bare fingers attack and mangle the strings. Just because you play a Lucille ES-345 through a tweed Bassman doesn't mean you'll sound like BB King. neither would a Custom Tele through a Fender Quad Reverb turn you into the Iceman (Albert Collins).

sir delta question lang po: if it really is in the fingers, does it mean innate sa player yun, something that he is born with or it can be learned?

if it can be learned, any tips para maenhance ang "tone in the fingers" :D

thanks
FOR SALE: PSE MILLENNIUM V5 COMPOUND BOW <br />50lbs draw weight/ 27" draw legnth (+/-2")<br />complete with sight, center stab, dampers, carter triger, Easton X10 Arrows, bow case<br />40K lang san ka pa. Pm me for contact details

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2006, 11:45:50 AM »
'tone'-deaf ako e. ahehehe. it's true. within 20 seconds of starting to play a guitar i just zone out and don't care anymore. well as long as it's tunable to a degree and playable using any means necessary.  :wink: but an important thing that i think IS 'in the fingers' is identity. it's how you put across the notes you choose, the way you attack the strings, and the inflections you put in to go with the emotion.

that said i want an EJ strat and a mesa lonestar. :D

wala bang guitar EB? tone is in the fingers but fun is in 15-minute jam songs!

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2006, 12:18:42 PM »
Quote from: tumorwarrior

I think major part nung blues tone is how your pick or bare fingers attack and mangle the strings. Just because you play a Lucille ES-345 through a tweed Bassman doesn't mean you'll sound like BB King. neither would a Custom Tele through a Fender Quad Reverb turn you into the Iceman (Albert Collins).

sir delta question lang po: if it really is in the fingers, does it mean innate sa player yun, something that he is born with or it can be learned?

thanks

please allow me to "poke-my-fingers" in your pie, but not speak for Deltaslim coz i also want to know his sage insights on this. it just happens that we share the same flaming passion for this subject.

I feel that as people have their individual characteristics, there are certain "innate" qualities that are revealed when you play. What you do with the strings is different from the next guys. i dont think that you are "born" with talent (as you are not born with the guitar sharing the womb-space), but you can develope as a player. all things can be studied and learnt with the goal to make techniques "reflex" in action, second nature in execution, like speaking.

listen to what you like and who you look up to. immitate. focus on it. ask questions, to yourself and others. identify and dissect the fragments from the whole and try to understand it. then, make it a part of your vocabulary. listen, practice, listen, practice. search within. then forget about it and move on to immitate another.

its just like learning new words or phrases. you'll need to study, and when you encounter a new word you seek to understand its meaning and application. sooner or later, it is absorbed and comes out unconsciously in conversation.

for example:

my fave guitarist at the moment is brett garsed. upon hearing his music, i found some of the things he does very new to my ears, unfamiliar "words" and "sentences". i listen non-stop to his playing, research for resources available online (i even joined his fan forum and got a response. sweeet!). then i try to mimic what he does, and in doing so, i'm not exactly copying him but emulating him. that way, i filter his style with my own personality. i pay attention to how he attacks the strings (picks mostly above the neck pick up and uses hybrid technique), his fretting technique (four note per string stuff, skips, etc) his dynamics and lyricism, and the "rhythm" he uses in soloing. lately, i found that the "words" i lifted have gradually been absorbed in my vocabulary bank, now a part of my personal system.

don't be afraid to be "unconventional" about how you do things. you have more to fear if you've frozen to become a mannequin of your hero. there is nothing wrong with simple "immitation" though, as humans have always immitated each other, like children immitate their parents gestures and music itself serves to immitate (as the blues immitates crying, the bark of the dog or the roar of the train). but immitation is just a beginning, a trampoline to get you off your feet by bouncing up. in time, your maturity will lead you to discover yourself inside the instrument, and the tone will be there ;)

Ron Kirn

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2006, 12:53:25 PM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
Quote from: tele-tubby
Kulas,

i can't disagree! its a damn good argument! (unless one prefers machines).
next time i use one of vegetablejoe's stuff, i'm gonna wear rubber gloves, or clean the guitar with disinfectant first (to think i was gosh-damning his greco loaded with kinmans strat! arrgh! hahahaha)... :D

whoa, boys.... playing my guitar and going out with ladies are mutually exclusive events... no need to fear what i use to wipe down my guitar. nyuk nyuk.

besides i was talking about tweaking/tuning bumpers... literally dry stuff... kayo talaga, ang sama ninyo mag-isip... :wink:

ok enough of OT... back to original, serious programming... tik eet awee...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »

thanks

it can definitely be learned. altho some people are predisposed to be 'talented' or musically-inclined, i don't think anyone is born w/ tone in his fingers.

sa left hand, check out how SRV mangles the strings on the fretboard.  sa right hand, just changing positions, attack, material (fingers or picks), finger (thumb vs index), etc. has a lot of impact.   there's a video floating around of bill lawrence w/ a strat wringing all kinds of great tones, and he's not even changing pickup settings.

most important thing though is immersing yourself in the style or music whence your tone is drawn. pag na-imbibe mo yan, your body will naturally adapt. you will know when you are getting there or not.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »

thanks

it can definitely be learned. altho some people are predisposed to be 'talented' or musically-inclined, i don't think anyone is born w/ tone in his fingers.

sa left hand, check out how SRV mangles the strings on the fretboard.  sa right hand, just changing positions, attack, material (fingers or picks), finger (thumb vs index), etc. has a lot of impact.   there's a video floating around of bill lawrence w/ a strat wringing all kinds of great tones, and he's not even changing pickup settings.

most important thing though is immersing yourself in the style or music whence your tone is drawn. pag na-imbibe mo yan, your body will naturally adapt. you will know when you are getting there or not.

amen to that!

check out hendrix's wild blue angel dvd also. watch how and where he picks, how he bends the strings, what he does with the wah, etc... virtual bible of finger tone all executed in real time! what he does to the volume knob, tone knob, switch... all amazing. everytime i pop the concert in the player, i pick up something new.

Ron Kirn

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2006, 02:06:35 PM »
kung kay hendrix, tone is in the tongue/teeth! :-)

Offline tumorwarrior

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2006, 02:21:59 PM »
thanks sa enlightenment sir delta and master sushi :D heheheh nagkaroon ako ng glimpse of hope
FOR SALE: PSE MILLENNIUM V5 COMPOUND BOW <br />50lbs draw weight/ 27" draw legnth (+/-2")<br />complete with sight, center stab, dampers, carter triger, Easton X10 Arrows, bow case<br />40K lang san ka pa. Pm me for contact details

Chito

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2006, 03:26:47 AM »
Thought I'd bring this up.  Here's what Carlos Santana has to say about TONE during an interview with Guitar Player last year. The article was entitled "Carlos Santana Spreads the Gospel of Tone"

Guitar Player: When you recorded Shaman, you were over the moon about discovering Dumble amplifiers. Did you have any tonal discoveries on the new albums?

Carlos Santana: What I’m learning more and more is that there are a lot of tones within myself that I can form simply by looking inward. Sure, Dumbles are incredible amps. But Alexander Dumble himself would tell you that Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, and myself have our own fingerprints with or without a Dumble amplifier. I can tell you every little piece of gear I’ve ever used, and you’re still not going to sound like me. Your sound as an individual comes from sitting and playing for one, two, or three hours nonstop. It’s where you get into this zone, and something takes over where the music truly plays you, and your mind is free of insecurities. The muscle memory and mechanics will handle themselves at a certain point, and you can get down to the matter of true expression that goes straight to the instrument from your heart. You have to reach inside yourself. There’s absolutely no substitute for locking yourself away and not coming out until you have your own sound.

Guitar Player: Do you think guitar magazines perpetuate gear lust too much?

Carlos Santana: Guitar mags have a valid role. They turn people on to the gear that’s out there, and help them understand that certain gear sounds a certain way. For example, a Strat is going to sound the way it sounds simply because of its construction. That hasn’t changed since Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly. And with a certain amp, your tone is going to be a certain way.
But people should try to go deeper into the instrument, and transcend its actual construction. To do that, you have to make ugly faces, pucker up your butt, and get to that note. You need to put different levels of brutal freakin’ force behind your playing. The next thing you know, you start getting into the territory that Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck inhabit. Let’s face it, Stevie made some pretty ugly faces. And, hopefully, so do I. Anybody who goes for the note, makes that face. It’s like having an orgasm. I don’t know anybody who looks nice when they have an orgasm. And if you’re not having an orgasm, then you’re not all the way into it like you’re supposed to be.

Well folks, from the tone master himself, the trick is you need to have an ORGASM.. hehehe

You can check out the whole interview here :

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=17&storycode=8531

Offline Darktwistedmind

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2006, 03:45:16 AM »
Very nice article Sir Chito.....

I'll try to have sex with my guitar and see if i'll have an orgasm... bwahahahahaha! :lol:
"If you don't know what your passion is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it."                  — Oprah Winfrey

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2006, 07:28:21 AM »
bump para sa taas lahat sila :lol:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2006, 07:58:58 AM »
pucha! tama pala si nathan all along... it's in the guitar face!  hehe...  :-)

tnx for the article. idol ko yan si santana because of his soul and attitude about music. i can definitely relate w/ pursuing those orgasmic moments!  that's what it's all about.