hulika

Author Topic: which band dominated the last decade?  (Read 6168 times)

Offline thegreatone

Re: which band dominated the last decade?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »
close fight between bamboo, sandwich, and parokya...

Offline ChocoMani

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »
kasi uber dami na ang mga bands ngaun.
Don't Stop Till You get Enough

Offline hen8

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
tancha ko 2000-2004 slapshock with greyhoundz di ako sure. para kasing madalas lumabas yung mga kanta nila sa radio station namin dito.
im so happy because today i found my friends

Offline skirmish

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
mga papogi bands

Offline juts

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
mga papogi bands

papogi bands nga ata. sa dami ng papogi bands wala na akong maisip na matinong nagdominte

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 12:45:50 AM »
tancha ko 2000-2004 slapshock with greyhoundz di ako sure. para kasing madalas lumabas yung mga kanta nila sa radio station namin dito.

yeah the first half of the decade was ruled by the triumvirate QUESO, GREYHOUNDZ and SLAPSHOCK...after that various mainstream acts flooded the airwaves na labo labo na :-D :-D
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 12:46:56 AM »

yeah the first half of the decade was ruled by the triumvirate QUESO, GREYHOUNDZ and SLAPSHOCK...after that various mainstream acts flooded the airwaves na labo labo na :-D :-D
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline jaythang

• Netizen Level
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
Opinion ko: Parokya ni edgar......
Pahinging Mp3 ng Public Menace - Posporo

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 04:04:25 AM »
unfortunately, it's pogi rock in general that dominated the 2000's.

sandwich, bamboo and parokya, as well as the "kupaw-core" bands had their share of dominating moments, but as pointed out, didn't have the same overall impact as JDC in the '70s, the dawn in the '80s, or the e-heads in the '90s.

it seems like record execs (or the bands themselves) had figured out the successful formula - slick, "Top 40"-style production without any of the '90s bands' rawness, lyrics centered on love and relationships that teenagers and young professionals can identify with, music influenced by harmless, generic alternative rock that was quite popular stateside in the late '90s, and the requisite good looks for most, if not all of the members.  that's pogi rock in a nutshell.  am no fan of the genre or the bands, just pointing out how IMHO, they had such a stranglehold on the pinoy rock scene in the second half of the decade.

now cueshe?  that's another story, all together.  number one, they're not pogi.  number two, they don't rock, but rather specialize in ripping off foreign and local bands alike, and denying defensively that they nicked even a single riff or lick from aforementioned foreign/local bands.   :lol:
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline neicon27

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 07:00:15 AM »
@EndshiftResign

Bro, nothing against your post.  actually I would agree with you on it.  :-)  pero curious lang ,  about the cueshe issue.. could you give samples of which riff or lick that they could have ripped off?  intruiging eh .  hehehehe
"Learn the rules before you break them.  That way you'd know if your breaking them right."

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 07:16:57 AM »
eto yung pinakasimple at pinakaobvious...   :-D

"Stay" ripping of BOTH "Perfect" by Simple Plan and "The Greatest View" by Silverchair.

but wait, there's more...

yung "Ulan" parang medyo katunog ng "Magasin"...pero medyo lang...mas malala yung isang kanta nila na katunog ng "Hallelujah" ng Bamboo at yung isa pa, gayang-gaya yung drum roll ng "Soon" ng Moonpools and Caterpillars...

go check it out on youtube.  madaming examples dyan of cueshe's skill in ripping off other bands...mapa-foreign man o local...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline blueberry

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
BAMBOO pa din.... since 2003 they dominated the music scene!!!

Offline rennaov

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
none. its all pogi rock. no oomph, na balls.  whats next? jejemon rock?  hell, rock should never even be placed besides 'pogi', its too cool and awesome for that.   :evil:
I see traces, fragments of God shared in the form of human talent...

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
Parang wala naman...actually the 90s and 2000s were the most confused decades when it comes to music. So nobody ruled.

Kahit sa OPM, while it may be true that Eraserheads ruled and re-opened the doors to OPM during the mid 90s, their influence did not transcend beyond their art. Despite the band's popularity and great record reviews, nobody (or no one I knew) lived the way they did. High school and college students would rather walk the way Liam (of Oasis) did and would sing "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova." Young bands would always cover "Creep" and frontmen would always do ala "Eddie Vedder" vocals. But nobody played and sang the way E-heads did. Their impact was realized more than a decade later via their reunion concert. That was when the nostalgia and yearning came out. It was good though because at least we are able to fill up the gap as to who's who in the 90s.

For 2000, may be in the next ten years, we'll know who ruled :-)

Offline audio deft

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »
about the heads, i might disagree with you a bit. i thought they had a lot of influence and impact on a lot of aspiring musicians back then as well as on the industry. for one, rico blanco, who does not sound like ely buendia at all, cited in one of his radio interviews that he was hugely influenced by ely's, especially his lyrics. and i agree. i think there's a bit of ely in his wordplay. i can also hear traces of heads music in sugar free, itchyworms, silent sanctuary, etc. most of the bands i heard, especially those which are not metal, most of often than not, cite the heads as an influence

not only that. I also think their attitude changed the industry.  they sort of "liberated" the industry. before the heads arrived, i remember bands that were making it big were sort of conforming to the industry standards. band members were wearing long sleeved shirts, they looked clean, they lip synced on tv. on interviews bands were polite, walang masyadong kulitan. the heads looked, sung, and talked like the exact opposite. i remember their appearance on the sharon cuneta show, where they were asked to lip synch, and what they did was they constantly switched instruments during the song which resulted in the banning of heads in that show. they were a bit irreverent. on interviews they were elusive and evasive. nowadays, you'd see bands on tv wearing tshirt and jeans, and nobody would think of it as "uncool". now, band are always makulit on interviews. and IMO it started with the heads.

and yeah, we lived like them. we also ate isaw, collected tansans, rode the jeepney, poured our hearts out during drinking sessions, read the songhits, etc etc.

anyway, back to the topic............

Offline magnumjay

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
para sa akin Bamboo parang atomic bomb kung pumasok/bumalik sa music industry.

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
about the heads, i might disagree with you a bit. i thought they had a lot of influence and impact on a lot of aspiring musicians back then as well as on the industry. for one, rico blanco, who does not sound like ely buendia at all, cited in one of his radio interviews that he was hugely influenced by ely's, especially his lyrics. and i agree. i think there's a bit of ely in his wordplay. i can also hear traces of heads music in sugar free, itchyworms, silent sanctuary, etc. most of the bands i heard, especially those which are not metal, most of often than not, cite the heads as an influence

not only that. I also think their attitude changed the industry.  they sort of "liberated" the industry. before the heads arrived, i remember bands that were making it big were sort of conforming to the industry standards. band members were wearing long sleeved shirts, they looked clean, they lip synced on tv. on interviews bands were polite, walang masyadong kulitan. the heads looked, sung, and talked like the exact opposite. i remember their appearance on the sharon cuneta show, where they were asked to lip synch, and what they did was they constantly switched instruments during the song which resulted in the banning of heads in that show. they were a bit irreverent. on interviews they were elusive and evasive. nowadays, you'd see bands on tv wearing tshirt and jeans, and nobody would think of it as "uncool". now, band are always makulit on interviews. and IMO it started with the heads.

and yeah, we lived like them. we also ate isaw, collected tansans, rode the jeepney, poured our hearts out during drinking sessions, read the songhits, etc etc.

anyway, back to the topic............

Oooy e-heads fan. Ako din naman.

No doubt that E-heads had influenced their contemporary artists and all others who had claimed to be. Pero hanggang dun lang. But I don't think the E-heads liberated the "industry of cool (taken from Almost Famous)." It was liberated by the birth of OPM itself long before the first E-heads first album came out. And yes, rock n rollers before the E-heads wore whatever what was going on...t-shirts, 501 (and other jeans), boots, sneakers. In fact, Pinoy Pop and Rock had already made  their mark in Philippine Music history before the 90s. Check out Jingle Mag articles (kung merun pa  :-)). Last but not the least, we also ate isaw, rode (and still ride) the jeepney, poured our hearts out during drinking sessions, read the songhits, etc etc. before the E-heads thing. These should not be associated with the them because we voluntarily did these by ourselves. We never did these to be "cool."

BTW, why did you collect tansans? At that time, I was starting to collect lps and cds (and my mom didn't like what I did)... This liberated me  :-)

Nonetheless, E-heads ruled the 90s.

Offline audio deft

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:12 PM »
we collected tansans because we were young and it's fun to get freebies from beloved soda companies. weeee

anyway, good point. but i don't think because they were'nt highly imitated, it made them less influential. let me give an example. both vedder and cobain mentioned that neil young was a very huge influence to them. but as far as i can hear, neither of them sound like neil young. not a lot of guys sang or walked like john lennon or paul mc cartney, but it did'nt make them less influential. i guess the point is, imitation is not an absolute gauge of influence. and by the way, kids i knew back then would rather practice the chords of el bimbo and torpedo than sing like vedder. or as marcus put it eddie vader. hehe. weird. maybe, different strokes for different folks.

although i respect your opinion, i still think they were the band that had the most impact on the industry at that time. and maybe to some extent, pop culture as well. it's probably the result of all the hits, the multi platinum albums. every station played them. no act, both foreign or local, cut across a wider range of listeners here than them at that time. from masa stations, to rock stations, to top 40 stations, they were played. and even if just a fraction of those listeners were truly inspired by them, i think it's more than any other act did, at that time. i mean, here, of course.  it was hard not to notice them. radio, tv, print. they were in a lot of people's subconscious.

perhaps rockers and other artists before the heads wore whatever, like you said, that was going on. but i guess that's it. their culture and attitude was dictated by the culture and attitude of an era, and perhaps by what's happening abroad. hippies, punks, new wave, those were the "in thing" during the previous generations. and we had acts like them here too. and i respect them immensely.  before the heads came out, grunge was "the" thing. they did'nt sound nor look grunge. but they did well, i guess. and maybe because of their success, it gave other guys in the industry to perhaps gamble on other acts. to sign the next big thing, artists, that sound different. thus, the wide variety of music that came out in the 90's. heads, wolfgang, the youth, teeth, yano, parokya, they all sounded different from one another. would it be the same if it was any other band? depends on who you ask. but it's clear to me it started with the heads.

nobody cared about ukay ukay before the heads came out. did they start it? no. did they play a part in it's emergence? probably not. but they were the first public figures i know of to embrace it. and that's how me and my friends discovered it. alam ko cheap kami.

hehe. i never got to collect cd's and lp's that time. good for you, though. wala eh, small time lang kami, cassette lang. but it was fun. and it was even more fun to know that somehow a band was able to dish out songs that was in a way a soundtrack of our lives. and that i was not alone. (or was i?). even if i never get to collect all the music i desire for the rest of my life, as long as i know that there was this band that sang my songs, that they were a click away, it will be just as gratifying and liberating.

but what do i know? i'm just a tansan collecting dork. poor me (huhu)

now, where's my spin doctors cassette?..........

sorry, OT

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 12:42:46 AM »
No doubt, the e-heads ruled the 90s and might have ruled the past decade too because of their reunion concerts.

But my point is, pop music historians have yet to prove the impact of e-heads beyond their art. To others, there is no  need. The music they made was all that mattered. Kung ABBA fan ka, you might be contended with this (Thank you for the Music..). That is why I don't subscribe to Lou Reed's opinion that it is only music after all. He must have been evading to answer some questons by the Rolling Stone Magazine asking him whether he was aware that the VU's songs were advocating the use of drugs and sex. As Stephen King said in one of his novella: It is not the story, but how a story is told. E-heads didn't just create their music. They underwent process. In fact, they were vocal about their inspiration in music writing. But when their contemporaries equivocally spoke that they were mainly influenced by E. Buendia and the rest of the gang, they should dig deep to the latter's influence. E-heads wrote the way APO and Hotdog did, and whatever which was going back then, with a touch of folk/ country rock. Using G and C for Pare ko and utilizing half fret lower chords (like U2) for most of their other pieces, E-heads created their formula to be part of the mainstream. This to me is their contribution to OPM, putting a thin line between Pinoy Pop and Rock.

Like the Sgt. Pepper's or Revolver? For many reasons, of course not. I don't really understand why writers would compare them to the fab four. Buendia himself admitted, that though it was a compliment, they never intended to sound like them. It was true. I myself don't see any trace of it. At least, this made music fans to get interested in OPM once again, and encouraged others to put up their own band and started to do it by themselves. But then again, E-heads did not create a lifestyle or a philosophy. Actually, they didn't have to.

Anyway, these are all just my opinion.

Note: Collecting records is not entirely an economic issue. I bought records because I was "uncoo"l and stayed at home most of the time listening to them, while my contemporaries were busy partying outside and started to experiment with substances. I bought my first LP when I was in grade 5. Even Karl Marx would say that music is part of the superstructure: hence, an ideology. It's a choice... :-)

Offline Naokira

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2010, 05:39:41 AM »
feeling ko walang ngdominate ng decade natin ngayon. para kasing naging supply and demand ang banda this decade. as in parang every year parang my genre na bago. d ko alam kung ano ang meron sa dekada na to. dahil ba sa uber digital age o sadyang pababa na ng pababa ang attention span ng tao (from lourd de veyra). wasak talaga. sarap bumalik sa 90s.
Why do people tend to believe that there is something or someone behind the clouds?

Offline bass_reaper

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 12:42:17 AM »
bamboo...hehehe...

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:19 PM »
diba razorback ? hehe

Offline silverwings

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:49 AM »
rivermaya?

Offline hungryperformance

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:35 PM »
bamboo..kahit sang sulok kilala sila eh..

Offline eyebag21

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »
for me bamboo din...
atsaka sila lang yung band na astigin
at wala akong naririnig na scandalo(ako lang ba? pag meron paki correct)
or any hate about them. :-)