hulika

Author Topic: Home Studio Pics Thread  (Read 48991 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Home Studio Pics Thread
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »

how bout cubase vst 5.1 mga sir?  anyone still usin it?

kinda have a love-hate relationship with mine.  ok siya cause for an old prog, cause it works very well with my dual core processor - and most importantly, my emulator X.  however, my only beef's that there's only one level of undo.  hehe.

:-) :-) :-)

You should have upgraded to SL2 or SX2 with that OEM vst 5.1. I got my SL2 for just $199 during the Emu upgrade offer. I think you could upgrade to SL3 for $299... haven't checked the upgrade price to Cubase 4 Studio - go to steinbergupgrades.com for details.

Did a lot of work with 5.1 previously and one thing I wish they kept with SX was the separate panning for left and right channels on a stereo track.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2007, 01:22:43 AM »
You should have upgraded to SL2 or SX2 with that OEM vst 5.1. I got my SL2 for just $199 during the Emu upgrade offer. I think you could upgrade to SL3 for $299... haven't checked the upgrade price to Cubase 4 Studio - go to steinbergupgrades.com for details.

Did a lot of work with 5.1 previously and one thing I wish they kept with SX was the separate panning for left and right channels on a stereo track.

sayang.  those emu upgrades definitely sound like a missed opportunity for me.  will do check out the steinberg website.

re: cubase 4, isn't it buggy?  or has is been sorted out already?   vaguely remember some issues in past forum topics.
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2007, 01:34:38 AM »
re: cubase 4, isn't it buggy?  or has is been sorted out already?   vaguely remember some issues in past forum topics.

One thing they hate was the removal of directx support. If you have any projects with Dx effects, you're screwed with C4. You can check out 2nd hand SX3/SL3. Unlike Sonar, Steinberg allows license transfers; but you'll have to get a new dongle for $25.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2007, 01:40:47 AM »
It is also worth to note that you can only have ONE Steinberg dongle pero machine and will need to transfer the dongle from machine to machine if you look to use your Steiny products on more than one DAW. Cubase 4 is still buggy as far as I can tell and so are some features of the new Nuendo version. I am still sitting on the fence with my old versions of cubase SX 3 and Nuendo before thinking about upgrading. I think the DX stuff on Cubase 4 will run on a wrapper for those of you that use DX but success with the wrapper are still spotty since it is not supported by Steinberg at all. Wrapper testing is mainly done by the folks over at the Steinberg forums and some reports seem to be reporting positive results.

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »
Cubase 5.1 will serve you well. I was a long, long time user of 5.1 before I made the huge jump to SX3. I bypassed SX1 and 2 altogether because 5.1 did basically everything I could ever need at the time. Personally, MIDI implementation is where third party sequencers leave PT in the dust. In fact, Digidesign PT users have long complained about the MIDI development lag that Digidesign doesn't seem to emphasize for its legions of user that actively use MIDI on a daily basis. I will give Digidesign this though: they have worked (a lot) on their MIDI aspect but it still isn't as versatile as Nuendo or even SX3, I feel.

Good luck with SX3, Cubase is a wonderful program that has TONS of features guaranteed to keep you busy for years.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
Cubase 5.1 will serve you well. I was a long, long time user of 5.1 before I made the huge jump to SX3. ... Good luck with SX3, Cubase is a wonderful program that has TONS of features guaranteed to keep you busy for years.

thanks sir abyss.  come to think of it, vst 5.1's good enough for my needs.  rarely do any recordin, only when the need arises for guitar sounds in certain projects.

read on the steinberg site bout one of my fave film scorers, harry gregson-williams.  he's also been usin vst 5.1 for the longest time.  only ports to protools after he composes his score, for mixdowns.  his work on metal gear solid rocks!

guess as long it's mostly midi and loops, vst 5.1's perfect for my requirements.  it does have a very stable midi implementation which gives me more time workin and less time worryin bout crashes.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2007, 12:06:28 AM »
Cubase 5.1 will serve you well. I was a long, long time user of 5.1 before I made the huge jump to SX3. ... Good luck with SX3, Cubase is a wonderful program that has TONS of features guaranteed to keep you busy for years.

thanks sir abyss.  come to think of it, vst 5.1's good enough for my needs.  rarely do any recordin, only when the need arises for guitar sounds in certain projects.

read on the steinberg site bout one of my fave film scorers, harry gregson-williams.  he's also been usin vst 5.1 for the longest time.  only ports to protools after he composes his score, for mixdowns.  his work on metal gear solid rocks!

guess as long it's mostly midi and loops, vst 5.1's perfect for my requirements.  it does have a very stable midi implementation which gives me more time workin and less time worryin bout crashes.

there are a lot of big name steinberg users, one of them is Hans Zimmer, the film composer who has been using Nuendo and Cubase for as long as the product has been out, I think. For the longest time I was using Cubase/ Nuendo as my main composition platform because I started learning recording on it and I just find it more intuitive than Logic. Nowadays, I use PT and Cubase/ Nuendo equally as much because a lot of people who work in studios here in the US use PT as their standard platform. To make things easier, I try and keep things simple on my end so, at least, working on their projects gives me the efficiency that I need to work on quick project turn around. Smaller project studios and DJs prefer Cubase and Logic and their liberal application of EQs and effects in those project environments helps me communicate better with them when I am able to work directly on the session files and have a duplicate of their creative process. Its all a matter of choosing what tools suit your needs and I think 5.1 would be a great fit for your creative projects.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2007, 01:21:52 AM »
there are a lot of big name steinberg users, one of them is Hans Zimmer, the film composer who has been using Nuendo and Cubase for as long as the product has been out, I think. For the longest time I was using Cubase/ Nuendo as my main composition platform because I started learning recording on it and I just find it more intuitive than Logic. Nowadays, I use PT and Cubase/ Nuendo equally as much because a lot of people who work in studios here in the US use PT as their standard platform. To make things easier, I try and keep things simple on my end so, at least, working on their projects gives me the efficiency that I need to work on quick project turn around. Smaller project studios and DJs prefer Cubase and Logic and their liberal application of EQs and effects in those project environments helps me communicate better with them when I am able to work directly on the session files and have a duplicate of their creative process. Its all a matter of choosing what tools suit your needs and I think 5.1 would be a great fit for your creative projects.

yup! hans zimmer!  been dissectin/reverse engineerin his work.  hehe.  he's like one of the first film composers who actually made popular the use of sample synths for composing classical film music.  the new-ish breed which is worlds apart from the traditional pen-and-paper john williams mold.

thanks for the very enlightening tips.  i'll just stick with my vst 5.1 in the meantime.  besides, there's usually protools naman when i bring my stuff in.  that or straight to avid which is hellish to work with audio.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2007, 04:35:47 AM »
you're using Avid for audio? Avid platforms are for video post-production.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2007, 11:18:41 AM »

abyss,

Scores are usually tracked (here, that is) to Avid and the punch is usually done manually... live. No sync of any kind. If you are using a sequencer, no one I know of syncs it with timecode generated by the Avid system; a pity since syncing would make scoring work so much easier. In 1999, I was indirectly involved with the score tracking of Pedro Penduko (the one with Janno). A colleague would have the sequence on a MC-50 mkII and he would do on the spot fills and lengthen a section by ear, and punch in manually! They didn't do sync then, still don't do it now. <sigh>  :|

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2007, 11:44:14 AM »

abyss,

Scores are usually tracked (here, that is) to Avid and the punch is usually done manually... live. No sync of any kind. If you are using a sequencer, no one I know of syncs it with timecode generated by the Avid system; a pity since syncing would make scoring work so much easier. In 1999, I was indirectly involved with the score tracking of Pedro Penduko (the one with Janno). A colleague would have the sequence on a MC-50 mkII and he would do on the spot fills and lengthen a section by ear, and punch in manually! They didn't do sync then, still don't do it now. <sigh>  :|

yup, for musical scorin locally, there's no midi sync involved with the avid machines.  usually i'd just import the files straight to avid, then lay it all in manually.

so my compositions'd would sometimes be based on script lang, as long as i've worked with the director before, that'll be ok.  then i'll just make lotsa loops from my score so it'd easier to work with usin avid.  i'd just cross my fingers that the hit points'd line up right.  with the extremely tight sched, i actually learned to do audio stuff in avid, however cripplin it might be.

worse is havin the producer breathe down on my back and the show's for airin within a couple of hours.  then you'd have the PAs runnin back and forth on their mobile phones doin dub-outs to dvcpro and literally runnin from the studio to the broadcast department.  it's actually quite a rush at crunchtime.  hehe.  just hope that the program manager doesn't call up to ask what the hell's goin wrong.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »

abyss,

That must be very time consuming but a helluva way to get a sense of what Avid and Final Cut can do if you do everything in it. I have exprienced drifting audio on Avid and Final Cut Pro but usually the case is some buffer difference between the audio (usually tracked and synched with a third party program) and the video or some part of the audio file was slightly longer before it was bounced to Avid or Final Cut causing the rest of the A/V file to go bonkers over time.

Janno? As in, Janno Gibbs? Ha! I haven't heard that name in a long time. Its funny that I was just thinking about Dolphy a few days ago and asked my cousin if the old fart is still alive and womanizing..lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:09:51 PM by abyssinianson »

Offline paparazzi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
I've updated my rig over the past weeks:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:30 PM »
I have exprienced drifting audio on Avid and Final Cut Pro but usually the case is some buffer difference between the audio (usually tracked and synched with a third party program) and the video or some part of the audio file was slightly longer before it was bounced to Avid or Final Cut causing the rest of the A/V file to go bonkers over time.

Usually indicative of a sync problem. More often it's because video is usually at 29.97 fps while most DAW soft are set to 30 fps. It becomes a headache when you're scoring to a video copy of a film which usually runs at 24 fps. You hope that whoever did the film transfer to video did it right; that's why standard video pre-production copies of films should have embedded SMPTE timecode but no one seems to use it properly around here.

I'm reminded of this flash animation short I did a couple of years back. They had me record the VO for the animation while their flash guy was simultaneously creating the visuals with the limitation that it be only 30 to 45 secs long.; no picture boards timed to script and with no idea over how long the actual animation would have been. On a wing and a prayer, I flew in the VO and music clips based on gut feel (since their flash renderer didn't do realtime playback and sound clips had to be positioned by typing in time values), and nailed the position of the takes and highlight points in the first few tries. Whew!

Janno? As in, Janno Gibbs? Ha! I haven't heard that name in a long time. Its funny that I was just thinking about Dolphy a few days ago and asked my cousin if the old fart is still alive and womanizing..lol

Yeah, that Janno. Dunno about Dolphy though.  :-D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 02:52:23 PM by KitC »

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:07 AM »

great gear!
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2007, 07:24:14 PM »

nice setup. Live6, Reason3 and Komplete4 junkie here.

Offline astrobog

« Reply #216 on: April 09, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
eto naman sa akin..

Shinji
Sound Creation Studio
www.soundcreation-ph.com

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #217 on: April 09, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2007, 03:46:02 AM »
hmmm SSL? nakita ko yan sa sam ash hehehe.. a STRIP from the SSL board na 100,000$ galing niyan!!!
mahal din as usual..
Music is art in sound...

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
eto naman sa akin..

ang lupet!great gear sir astrobog!gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline astrobog

« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2007, 12:52:17 AM »
bago lang kasi itong xlogic channel sa akin, pag-aaralan ko pa sa home studio ko, pero mukhang ok tong channel strip lalo na EQ section, ngayon lang kasi ako nagkaroon ng matinong EQ na outboard e, makakapili pa ng Gseries at Eseries na EQ curve.
Shinji
Sound Creation Studio
www.soundcreation-ph.com

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2007, 01:02:03 AM »
another BALDO in the making to hehe
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:53 AM »
Is that a Baby Bottle? Even has the metal pop screen... nice!

Offline astrobog

« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2007, 01:45:29 AM »
sorry pare, nakalimutan ko ilagay name ko, si shinji ito, ngayon lang kasi ako nagpost e, di sanay...
Shinji
Sound Creation Studio
www.soundcreation-ph.com

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #224 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02:14 AM »
Langhiya, Shinji! Sa wakas nagpost ka rin! sabi ko na nga ba pamilyar sakin ung mga monitor na maliit. dumating na pala ung xlogic... Jeps! bisita daw tayo uli sa studio! dalin natin ung black dun.