hulika

Author Topic: Home Studio Pics Thread  (Read 49142 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Home Studio Pics Thread
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »
You know what would be cool abyss? A panoramic shot of your studio. Hard to imagine it in bits and pieces plus the only wide angle shot you have was when you were rewiring stuff. Better yet... you should be in some of the pics! That way, if you take your vacation here, we'd know what you look like!  :-D  Kinda like what Baldo did before he came over (and he made sure he showed me 10 of his 18 guitars when we were chatting one time).  :wink:
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »
Milyonaryo yata tong si pareng abbys... hehehe
@Abyss, you have to halt buying gears and buy digital camera!  :-D
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »
You know what would be cool abyss? A panoramic shot of your studio. Hard to imagine it in bits and pieces plus the only wide angle shot you have was when you were rewiring stuff. Better yet... you should be in some of the pics! That way, if you take your vacation here, we'd know what you look like!  :-D  Kinda like what Baldo did before he came over (and he made sure he showed me 10 of his 18 guitars when we were chatting one time).  :wink:

I think that is the only thing I haven't done in a while is take pictures of the guitar "family." People here in Philmusic seem to like doing that. I will get to it one of these days. I am afriad I don't have as many guitars as BALDO does...lol. If there is anything about my former GASsing that I've really, really tried to cure, it is having too many guitars. I've realized that having guitars that I don't use heavily sticking around is a shame and I've been pretty good about that the past few years.

I thought about going back home in 2007 but it'll be a bit hard because I really cant go on vacation for more than a week. I could but I've been a workaholic for so long that being away from work for a few days at a time makes me fidgety. Cést la vie in Medicine, I guess. I haven't had a vacation since '97, I think, when I was in college. we'll see though. There is no one left in my family (or clan) left in the Phils so I really don't have a reason to go back home. Everyone is either in the US, Japan or Europe.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:55:32 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2007, 09:49:50 PM »
oist music and technology forumites EB tayo sa bahay nila abyss  :-D agree ba kayo ?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »
oist music and technology forumites EB tayo sa bahay nila abyss  :-D agree ba kayo ?

i imagine na masaya yan. you might be better off in a year or so kase baka lilipat ako permanently sa Northeast coast sama yung buong studio gear ko. I think out sa lahat dito, si BALDO lang ang magiging malapit sa akin kase taga NYC siya di ba? sa Cambridge, MA ako mag istar. so, kung merong bibisita sa kay BALDO, you can kill two birds with one stone then. libre ang recording :)

nagtanong si jepoy about yung scheduling sa mastering co-op. i think my schedule would be less hectic then. we'll see how things work out.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »
Woah, I totally drooled over your gears sir Abyss! :-D

I find your setup very interesting especially the way you'd run 2 different DAWs in it.

How would you differ your experience in PT between Cubase, though? I've worked mostly with PT since i entered SAE (and implenting MIDI in it is just so horrible, at least without implementing rewire!). I worked with Cubase SX3 for some time as well, although i haven't really gotten my hands wet with it as much as i did with PT. Anyway, one of my best instructors had told me that he doesn't perceive SX3 to sound as good as PT. How true is this? Does the algorithm behind these two DAWs heavily affect the way it 'sounds'. I am intrigued, atleast in your experience. :-)
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2007, 01:19:14 AM »
@Mark:

In my experience, there is a huge advantage to using third party sequencers like Logic, Sonar, and Cubase in that you are free to mix and match your gear. As such, how well your gear sounds is entirely up to how much you want to invest in your setup. I started off using Cubase and Logic in the early 90s so I am a bit biased to say that I really don't see very much of a difference between all the full blown sequencers because, while Cubase/ Nuendo/ Logic has a great number of features, you trade off with latency lags since no single manufacturer makes dedicated hardware to solve the latency issue. On the other hand, PT, while the industry standard (in the US), comes very, very short of being an all-in-one setup because of the MIDI problems it frequently experiences. Between low latencies and MIDI implementation, as a user of multiple platforms, I prefer to have something that will allow me to do EVERYTHING in one setup but, alas, this is not yet fully possible.......so here I am, using PT and Cubase/Nuendo to get projects done.

Yeah, MIDI in PT has always been its weak point and I am surprised that digidesign hasn't done anything to bypass the use of Rewire into its environment and use MIDI routing like Logic, Nuendo and Cubase.

On sound, the quality of audio between PT and the other sequencers narrows down to your converter system. This is a subjective viewpoint and people might argue with me on this. The algorithms in the programs themselves do not matter as much, I think, and this seems to hold true in the comparison's i've done on my gear. For the most part, I keep pretty short signal pathways when I record and transfer data into my DAWs and I can say that I don't hear a very big difference between the competing platforms when I finally mixdown to digital media. Up until recently, I was using the built in converters in my PC DAW soundcards to transport audio. The PC converters sounded great to me. Ditto for PT. Then, I gave Apogee converters a listen after using a Rosetta 800 on a (indie score) mixing project at a friend's project studio. Though the guy's setup sounded great on an RME MADI/ AD setup, the addition of the Rosetta made his tracks wider and more multi dimensional. The resulting sound with the Rosetta wasn't necessarily better than the PT or my native PC DAW platform, it just sounded - different - and I liked it. I traded a few things in for a Rosetta 800 recently but have not had a chance to fully use it. I have an up and coming bossa nova jazz project to record my uncle's work for a CD and that will be a good environment to test the Rosetta and do a shoot out between PT, native RME converters and the RME+Rosetta 800 setup. He will be playing a digital piano and my Rhodes on several tracks.

The take home message here is the signal chain is a very important part of the DAW setup because you really do get what you put into your system; the cleaner it is, the more unadulterated the sound. I think that when people say that PT sounds better than other systems, they should specifically address PTs ability to process information as a SYSTEM and not just as a program because, this is how Digidesign mainly designed PT systems: to carry a lot of data transfers with the least amount of latency. The bad part about this situation is that the gear is proprietary. Now, PC DAW setups using Nuendo, Logic, Sonar and Cubase can get just as good quality audio, I think, if the right pieces are put together to maximize the sequencer features and the type of work that you do on the DAW. Some examples of pro sounding work done on non-PT systems include:

-Moulann's indie CD (Cubase and Logic) (tracks at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14420953)
-Uneaq (Cubase) (tracks at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction-user.viewprofile&friendid=1028161)
-Whatever project Hans Zimmer produces (Cubase and Nuendo)

Last time I checked with him, Andrew (Uneaq) was using an M-Audio Delta 44 on a Cubase setup to produce his tracks. DJs and musicians in the UK largely use Cubase and Logic systems to produce their music on a wide variety of platforms which use hardware from a varied number of manufacturers. Magazines like Future Music showcase pro setups everymonth and it is a good way to see how you can design your system by "cherry-picking" your gear.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:17:27 PM by abyssinianson »

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2007, 01:54:23 AM »
jepoy yan ba yung studio nung binilhan mo ng SM57's ?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2007, 01:56:58 AM »
@jepoy: nagamit mo ba yung variable position Rode? what does it sound like sa vocals at acoustic?

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2007, 03:45:19 AM »
@Mark:

In my experience, there is a huge advantage to using third party sequencers like Logic, Sonar, and Cubase in that you are free to mix and match your gear. As such, how well your gear sounds is entirely up to how much you want to invest in your setup. I started off using Cubase and Logic in the early 90s so I am a bit biased to say that I really don't see very much of a difference between all the full blown sequencers because, while Cubase/ Nuendo/ Logic has a great number of features, you trade off with latency lags since no single manufacturer makes dedicated hardware to solve the latency issue. On the other hand, PT, while the industry standard (in the US), comes very, very short of being an all-in-one setup because of the MIDI problems it frequently experiences. Between low latencies and MIDI implementation, as a user of multiple platforms, I prefer to have something that will allow me to do EVERYTHING in one setup but, alas, this is not yet fully possible.......so here I am, forced to use PT and Cubase/Nuendo to get projects done.

Yeah, MIDI in PT has always been its weak point and I am surprised that digidesign hasn't done anything to bypass the use of Rewire into its environment and use MIDI routing like Logic, Nuendo and Cubase.

On sound, the quality of audio between PT and the other sequencers narrows down to your converter system. This is a subjective viewpoint and people might argue with me on this. The algorithms in the programs themselves do not matter as much, I think, and this seems to hold true in the comparison's i've done on my gear. For the most part, I keep pretty short signal pathways when I record and transfer data into my DAWs and I can say that I don't hear a very big difference between the competing platforms when I finally mixdown to digital media. Up until recently, I was using the built in converters in my PC DAW soundcards to transport audio. The PC converters sounded great to me. Ditto for PT. Then, I gave Apogee converters a listen after using a Rosetta 800 on a (indie score) mixing project at a friend's project studio. Though the guy's setup sounded great on an RME MADI/ AD setup, the addition of the Rosetta made his tracks wider and more multi dimensional. The resulting sound with the Rosetta wasn't necessarily better than the PT or my native PC DAW platform, it just sounded - different - and I liked it. I traded a few things in for a Rosetta 800 recently but have not had a chance to fully use it. I have an up and coming bossa nova jazz project to record my uncle's work for a CD and that will be a good environment to test the Rosetta and do a shoot out between PT, native RME converters and the RME+Rosetta 800 setup. He will be playing a digital piano and my Rhodes on several tracks.

The take home message here is the signal chain is a very important part of the DAW setup because you really do get what you put into your system; the cleaner it is, the more unadulterated the sound. I think that when people say that PT sounds better than other systems, they should specifically address PTs ability to process information as a SYSTEM and not just as a program because, this is how Digidesign mainly designed PT systems: to carry a lot of data transfers with the least amount of latency. The bad part about this situation is that the gear is proprietary. Now, PC DAW setups using Nuendo, Logic, Sonar and Cubase can get just as good quality audio, I think, if the right pieces are put together to maximize the sequencer features and the type of work that you do on the DAW. Some examples of pro sounding work done on non-PT systems include:

-Moulann's indie CD (Cubase and Logic) (tracks at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14420953)
-Uneaq (Cubase) (tracks at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction-user.viewprofile&friendid=1028161)
-Whatever project Hans Zimmer produces (Cubase and Nuendo)

Last time I checked with him, Andrew (Uneaq) was using an M-Audio Delta 44 on a Cubase setup to produce his tracks. DJs and musicians in the UK largely use Cubase and Logic systems to produce their music on a wide variety of platforms which use hardware from a varied number of manufacturers. Magazines like Future Music showcase pro setups everymonth and it is a good way to see how you can design your system by "cherry-picking" your gear.

Thank you very much Abyss for your input. It educated me a lot! :-)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:49:46 AM by markthevirtuoso »
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2007, 07:48:48 AM »
ako din naenjoy ko yung post na yon abyss.  question: how do you bypass the rme's converters and replace it with the rosetta.  ive been looking at the rosetta and there doesn't seem to be 1/4" or xlr analog in's (correct me if im wrong).  it's a bit confusing, lol.  thanks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 07:53:26 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »
ako din naenjoy ko yung post na yon abyss.  question: how do you bypass the rme's converters and replace it with the rosetta.  ive been looking at the rosetta and there doesn't seem to be 1/4" or xlr analog in's (correct me if im wrong).  it's a bit confusing, lol.  thanks.

you can do it in one of two ways: through optical ADAT or through s/pdif. Note that by passing your converters through the Apogee Rosetta you will monitoring from the Rosetta and not the RME outs anymore. Your inputs for mics, analog stuff will still be through your RME Fireface, Hazel. Also, your use of the Apogee 200 or 800 limits the number of channels you can convert. You can't use the 4 mics on the fireface and still use the 200...you will have to either use the Fireface's converters or spring for the Rosetta 800 which uses 8 channel conversion. This was the reason why I got the 800, to give myself enough room to track more than 2 tracks at a time for something like a room mice in addition to a stereo mic signal.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2007, 01:32:54 PM »
ssshhhhhhh!!!! pre-emp ka talaga bugoy!

nyahahaha napaniwala ko na nga kanina si bindoy kahapon nung nagmeet kami na sakin to eh!!!

nyahahahahahahahahhahaha... wait ko na lanmg reaksyon nya pagnabasa nya to ahahaha

Yes this is Joey's (Side A's Bassist) Home Recording Studio and located at greenhills.

pasaway ka talaga bugoy hahahahaha

matututo na ako ng PT sa wakas! hehehe

PEACE!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:27:48 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2007, 03:48:10 PM »
bwehehehe suri hehehehe post ko rin sana yung pics ng studio ni abyss eh kunyari sakin  :-D

ssshhhhhhh!!!! pre-emp ka talaga bugoy!

nyahahaha napaniwala ko na nga kanina si bindoy kahapon nung nagmeet kami na sakin to eh!!!

nyahahahahahahahahhahaha... wait ko na lanmg reaksyon nya pagnabasa nya to ahahaha

Yes this is Joey's (Side A's Bassist) Home Recording Studio and located at greenhills.

pasaway ka talaga bugoy hahahahaha

matututo na ako ng PT sa wakas! hehehe

PEACE!

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »
peace !

humble pala ah...heeheheheheh..

gusto ko ung A V A L O N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great setup!astigin!ngatz.gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »
peace !

humble pala ah...heeheheheheh..

gusto ko ung A V A L O N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great setup!astigin!ngatz.gbu

lol rofl

anyway parekoy... i can still do all my stuffs in pc based. i still have to dream big para makabili ng high end stuffs like those.

the best thing what we can do is produce great sounds, great mixes with not so high end equipments for now and maybe someday we'll get our hands on those great preamps, compressors, PT, Digidesign equipments.

PEACE!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2007, 04:36:28 AM »
eto mejo pinalamig ko ng kaunti yung DAW ko

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »
waaaaahhh! jepoy! parang jet turbine yung CPU cooler mo ah, baka lilipad yan!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
Heto studio ko ngayon kasi tumama ako ng lotto nung saturday  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »
ahahaaaaaaay baldo! saan na ang piiiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxxx?????!!!!!!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:44 PM »
oh yeah nga pala..san yung pix ninyo at kay Shinji?

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2007, 09:22:16 PM »
Hazel..pix? o sige na nga..kuha ko sa iyo sa studio  mo  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2007, 09:28:09 PM »
Heto naman ke Jepoy

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:29:14 PM by BALDO »
Music is art in sound...

Chito

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2007, 01:12:20 AM »
Here's mine. It's more of a rehearsal studio for me.

Gear List:
DAW:
eMachines Pentium 4 2.93GHz
1 Gig Memory
80 GB Internal HD
250GB External HD

Soundcard:
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96

Mixer:
Behringer UB-802

Monitors:
KRK Rokit RP5 Studio Monitors