hulika

Author Topic: HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline mon116ph

• Veteran Member
HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »
No budget...scarce money..no salary increase at all..

Cannot afford to purchase another pedal to make my amps sounds more EVIL and HEAVY..

Any recommendation..

I want something na heavy talaga.

i HAVE BOSSTON HEAVY METAL and MUSIC MATE EQ.

will BOSS OCTAVE can HELP me.?

Any reccomendation?

Pls.recommend any stompbox and arrangement to make my  musick more evil and heavy.

Salamat ng marami

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 11:00:02 AM »
i believe an octave has a different purpose sir. try adding an od pedal to your chain.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline sweeplikevai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »
Quote from: panterica
i believe an octave has a different purpose sir. try adding an od pedal to your chain.

+1

add od1... if not contented chain ds1 and tweak them all....

if it still not contented... i think you'l be needing this.. heavy tlaga!!

Quote from: skunkyfunk

gudluck po :D
everybody's talkin 'bout new sound,, funny but its still rock en roll to me..

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:10:48 AM »
tune down to D hehe  :twisted:

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:12:19 AM »
you have to sell your soul to the devil at the crossroads...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala
you have to sell your soul to the devil at the crossroads...

... look for "Legba"... este, "Scratch"  :-)

Offline bunny rabbit

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 12:01:34 PM »
yeah, detune na lang, just like what zasam_4 said. pero nalalabuan ako pag ginagawa ko yun eh...
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:03:41 PM »
Quote from: mon116ph
No budget...scarce money..no salary increase at all..

Cannot afford to purchase another pedal to make my amps sounds more EVIL and HEAVY..

Any recommendation..

I want something na heavy talaga.

Any reccomendation?

Pls.recommend any stompbox and arrangement to make my  musick more evil and heavy.

Salamat ng marami

Sir Musta ung tunog nung Heavy metal ng Boston?
Shot na!!!

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
Re: HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 12:35:46 PM »
Quote from: mon116ph

Any reccomendation?

Hmmm... that's odd. When I tried the BOSTOn Heavy Metal, I thought it sounded heavy... ano bang lumalabas na tunog s'yo bro? Ano bang AMP and guitar mo? Daming factors na nakaka affect kasi para maging heavy ang sound mo. Rage Against the Machine, overdriven lang ang sound pero heavy ang output dahil nadadala ng bass ang drums.  :wink:
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »
oo nga. ndi pa ba mabigat yung heavy metal pedal mu?

you could try EQ b4 dist. mejo scoop yung curve. tapos max mo yung volume slider. heheh.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:27:10 PM »
kung gusto mo ng HEAVY..

dont rely much on the pedals... may tulong sila pero nasa AMP din yun..

anong AMP mo?? if your amp has a good DIRTY channel.. bakit hindi mo gamitin..???

set mo yung dirty channel ng amp mo into Moderate setting, yung parang may Overdrive/Mild-distortion. tapos if you have a pedal(s) like DS1.. gamitin mo para mas bumigat pa..

maraming factors , pero in the meantime try mo ito..
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »
use your amp's Dirty channel kung di ka pa nabibigatan sa distort ng pedal m. Baka manipis gauge ng string mo? okaya low output ang pups mo. Pump up a scooped mid equalizer tingnan natin kung di pa mabigat yan.

Offline tumorwarrior

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 02:26:19 PM »
seven strings bro tapos downtune mo :D
FOR SALE: PSE MILLENNIUM V5 COMPOUND BOW <br />50lbs draw weight/ 27" draw legnth (+/-2")<br />complete with sight, center stab, dampers, carter triger, Easton X10 Arrows, bow case<br />40K lang san ka pa. Pm me for contact details

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 02:28:44 PM »
downtuning + scooped eq + todo gain --> gitarang di lulutang sa mix.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 02:51:34 PM »
Tip lang (I've forgotten where I got this article....)

Back off the Gain!

A heavy sounding band is the result of the whole bands efforts, not just one guitarist. It is a common practice for heavy music to double or even layer multiple guitar tracks to get a heavy tone. If all of these guitar tracks were super high gain you'd get mush.
Of course there is exceptions to this; industrial and death metal and such often use super saturated high gain sounds (although one of the guitarists for Opeth was quoted as saying the trick to creating a wall of guitar was to use very little gain on rhthym parts). But for most hard rock and metal, there is way less gain going on with the guitar than you may think. It is the coupling of a distorted (not super saturated) guitar with the bass, drums, vocals, and other guitars that leads to a heavy sound.
A good example I can think of is Metallica, particularly Load and Reload. I choose these albums because they did less layering than on previous works. Most of the time on both of these albums it is simply James playing on the left (I believe) and Kirk on the right, just two guitars. Metallica, regardless of whether one likes them or not, is generally percieved as having a really heavy saturated metal sound. Put on some headphones and try to single out one guitar in those moments when only one guitar is playing, and I bet you can catch that those guitars, on thier own, are not nearly as distorted as you may have once thought. They are distorted and heavy, yes, but the gain is not cranked to the point of fuzz. They get as much gain as they need to get a nice twangy chunky sound and that's it. You can't really have twang and fuzz at the same time. Then these guitars are combined with each other, with nice heavy bass and powerful drums and the result is a clear, heavy, ballsy sound. If they put more gain on those guitars you'd lose clarity and balls, becuase the more gain you add the closer you get to a Fuzz Box sound.
This is something many inexperienced players don't know yet. (Not that I'm a guitar god or anything ) They have the sound of a huge sounding band in thier minds and they try to duplicate that sound with just a guitar, but the guitar is only one element, one of many, and the gain of the guitar is not as essential to a heavy sound as it may seem.
When I first got a POD 2.0 I thought it sounded like crap because all of the presets were so fuzzy. Then I backed off the gain, much better. I stepped up to the PODxt and again the stock presets were way too heavy in the gain department, but again backing off the gain cleared things up nicely and eliminated much of the fizz. Fizz is just a consequence of tube breakup, it's not some huge inherent problem in the PODxt. The thing is that the amps in question, and consequently the models based on them, are capable of more gain than is useful most of the time. For instance, on my main Soldano patch the gain is never above half way, and a lot of the time it's at about a third with a bit of Vetta Comp to keep the sustained breakup a bit better, and it's as much gain as I need for seven string heavy riffage. I'll never even use half of the gain the SLO (and it's model) is capable of, and I play some pretty heavy seven string stuff.
Back off the gain more than you might think to and slam around on it awhile. You might be surprised how heavy and cool it sounds, and it might even sound a lot more like the record than you'd think.

Offline iced.ink.used.ink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 02:56:03 PM »
post ka sound clips.baka naman yung music nyo is not heavy enough.ehehe :D

EQ lang yan.or maybe use thicker gauged strings,then tune down to Eb or D.

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »
gamit ka na lang ng bass strings. saka bass tuning. saka bass guitar. hehe :D

seriously, the guitar's place is in the midrange. baka kaya mo sinasabing "not heavy enough" e kasi mag-isa kang tumutugtog. if you manage to make your guitar sound like a cross between a bass, a guitar, and a buzzsaw, di rin gagana yan sa band situation. a guitar like that would certainly sound heavy by itself...pero detriment yan sa overall sound ng banda. hindi heavy ang kalalabasan nyan. pagpasok ng crash, lubog na ang guitar sound mo.

+1 sa gain tip ni deltaslim, saka string gauge ni iced.ink.used.ink.

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 03:40:40 PM »
amen to what sir delta said!
based from experience u should never just rely on your guitar for the heaviness of the whole band...

there are a lot of guitarists out there, when they play alone gets a really awesome metal chugy sound (Due to scooped and near to zero mids) but playing in a band setting dont get heard at all because their guitar sound is too scooped and too heavy in itself to be heard (something to do with frequiencies i guess). This is a common problem for metal bands even here! and I for one was guilty of this before. So the solution is to cut back and make room for the whole band to pitch in with the heavyness! A band is a collaboration not and individual thing.

Plus! in recording it is actually advisible to have lesser gain.

This i guess means that we as guitarists must give room for other instruments to be part of the sound. In this case a combination of well collaborated bass , guitar, drums , etc tone will create a heavy sound.

+1 on the it also depends on the amp!

Offline jon_caparas

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 03:56:08 PM »
Quote from: zasam_4
tune down to D hehe  :twisted:

get the lower ends! buy the 7's!!  :P

Offline sweeplikevai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »
Quote from: radimere
gamit ka na lang ng bass strings. saka bass tuning. saka bass guitar. hehe :D

bili ka na rin ng bass amp... :D
everybody's talkin 'bout new sound,, funny but its still rock en roll to me..

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
hmmm... hows your technique bro?

i'm not pre-empting your abilities, but the heaviosity is also determined by what you do with your hands. :-k
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline pablowablo

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »
scoop the mids?

It will sound heavy but it's not a good lead tone :p

Offline thortured

• Veteran Member
+1
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
+1 (daw :lol: )

Offline iced.ink.used.ink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 08:36:49 PM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
hmmm... hows your technique bro?

i'm not pre-empting your abilities, but the heaviosity is also determined by what you do with your hands. :-k

:P  the (heavy)tone is in the fingers...

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 09:48:45 PM »
Try heavier gauge strings.