hulika

Author Topic: HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 12:16:38 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Try heavier gauge strings.

amen to that. bigger strings=bigger sound. its the most cost effective way to beef up your tone. though playing with it will take abit of effort, but the gains are rewarding in the end.

also, please state what guitar you are using. for all we know you could be using a telecaster and wanting it to sound like slipknot :P just kiddin'... pick ups are also a major factor.

since your pedals seem to be the kind that produces heaviosity, start with the strings. there's a dimarzio superdistortion for sale in the forum, look into that. i had one of those in high school in my custom shop washburn, those are tight and fat mothers!
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
also, please state what guitar you are using. for all we know you could be using a telecaster and wanting it to sound like slipknot :P just kiddin'... pick ups are also a major factor.

:lol: i think jim root (of slipknot) uses telecasters. :lol:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala
Quote from: psychic_sushi

:lol: i think jim root (of slipknot) uses telecasters. :lol:

hehehe, yeah, a flathead tele. oops, i meant tele in a stock, twangy countrified way. hahahaha! thanx for pointing it out :)

notice that the flathead has emg pick ups. i think emg's are nice and clear, very versatile and works great for rock as demonstrated by many famous guys who use them. perhaps finding one for your guitar (whatever it is) may get you there... as far as how much one would cost, i cannot state a price but you may be lucky if you stumble on one second hand.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline blue_raven

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 11:18:10 PM »
if yer really low on funds, just get heavier gauge strings. siguro mga 12's ok na. you'd also like to tune yer guitar low, just set-up yer neck so that the sound will still be clear and that your strings won't buzz. try using heavier gauge picks too.

and i agree with the other guys about not maxing the gain in yer stompbox. maxing out the gains while having heavy gauge strings and low tunings can make your lows sound muddy and cut the sustain of your highs and turn them to unwanted feedback instead, if you don't tweak your amp right.

bottom line still is in the way you play. ala sa gamit lahat yan chief, nasa tumutugtog yan.  :)

Offline frzrsnatch

Re: HOW CAN I MAKE IT HEAVY...?
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 01:17:31 AM »
Quote from: mon116ph
No budget...scarce money..no salary increase at all..

Cannot afford to purchase another pedal to make my amps sounds more EVIL and HEAVY..

Any recommendation..

I want something na heavy talaga.

i HAVE BOSSTON HEAVY METAL and MUSIC MATE EQ.

will BOSS OCTAVE can HELP me.?

Any reccomendation?

Pls.recommend any stompbox and arrangement to make my  musick more evil and heavy.

Salamat ng marami

All you actually need is your amps gain and your EQ
You just have to experiment and tweek your EQ to sound warm and heavy...try to layoff the treble
And try to stay away from too much gain...you don't want your guitar souding too mushy or else you won't be able to discern the different notes/chords.

A lot of the heavyness will come from your bassist and drummer as well as the groove you are playing.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2006, 01:44:49 AM »
that was John Petrucci's touring rig. he switched to the Mesa Road King amp heads, I see.

to make your tone heavier, back off the gain and play with the EQ a bit. I don't use pedals like the Boss Metal Zone and mainly rely on my amp gains but the same applies; play with the gain, presence, treble, mid and bass knobs to get the best tone that cuts through. my amp gain is usually around 10:00 or 11:00, presence at 11:00, treble at 12:00, bass at 12:00 and mid at 9:00 or something. some people scoop out all the mids but i have some in there to give my sound a bit more overtones when I play; this works pretty well for pretty much all my amps except the Diezel - i use even less gain on that amp than I do on my mesa boogie amps.

try playing around with the pedal and guitar combinations as well as string guages to focus in on a heavy BUT non-muddy sound.

the octave will not help; an octaver is not used to make a heavier gain sound.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline jplacson

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 02:28:51 AM »
I agree with delta... "heavier" doesn't mean lower.

You have to understand what makes a sound "heavy" is not the actual notes... but the combination of frequencies.

Too much gain sounds like crap... gritty... grindy... sandy...crap.

That whole "max everything out" doesn't work anymore the way it used to.  Push current days effects and amps to the max and you get mush and mud.

Back in the earlier days... when OD and distortion were non-existent... amps were maxxed out to GET the distortion from amps that were made to do clean.

Ok, as a comparison... listen to Manson, Zombie, Disturbed, and Metallica.  These are my fav metal bands.  Pantera was too fuzzy and thin actually.  Slapshock has a pretty good sound... the best sounding local metal band if you ask me.

If you listen to the earlier Metallica stuff... specially Lightning, or Master... you'll find that they actually don't sound as "heavy" as the Black album, Load or Reload.  I'm not too fond of St. Anger's tone.. too dull for me..it's "ok" not heavy..even Lars experimental snare sound on St. Anger sounds blah.

Anyway... back to the topic.

What amp do you have?  You can't defy physics... if you're running off an 8" speaker... you can't get that "heavy sound" regardless of your pedal.  Then when you go DI to the board or to record... you'll get this over-blown bass heavy sound... that still sounds thin.  Scooping the mids too much does NOT make you sound heavy.

But, if you really wanna get another pedal... get a Tech21 to add to your chain.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 02:37:36 AM »
dagdagan mo ng weights... siguradong bibigat!!! :wink:

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 06:20:57 AM »
lagyan mo ng 3kilong bakal.yan mabigat na!joke3x :lol: peace!

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »
Low yung mid