hulika

Author Topic: Suhr guitars  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Suhr guitars
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:37:41 PM »
hey guys, sinong may Suhr guitars dito? or nakagamit na.. could you tell me the difference sa tonal characteristics nya sa mga Fender at G&L counterparts nya? hardware/parts differences na rin. ang alam ko kasi si John Suhr former luthier ng Fender na nagsolo na to form his own company. pag-usapan natin ang Suhr guitars nya dito! thanks! :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:54 PM »
Yan ata yung ginagamit ni Reb Beach ngayon.

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:51:35 PM »
Quote from: Allan_Reamillo
Yan ata yung ginagamit ni Reb Beach ngayon.

+1
mukang meron ka din nung Whitesnake DVD hehe

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 12:13:31 AM »
MAHAL. not available in ordinary music stores....only in bowteeeek stores/.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Suhr guitars
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 12:56:34 AM »
oo nga e, meron sa Tone Merchants nun diba? kaya ako nagtanong dito is because i wanna know lang if the price is justified naman.. :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline markflo

Suhr guitars
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »
honestly...i think you can get that "tone" without spending THAT much...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Suhr guitars
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:04 AM »
oo nga e.. $2.8 sa Suhr Classic? $4k sa Scott Henderson model? AAHHH! sobra yun!

Chito

Suhr guitars
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 01:43:47 AM »
One thing you can do is buy the pickups. I know that Wayne Krantz has Suhr SC pups on his Tyler Elite (another one of those expensive boutique brands).

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 02:03:53 AM »
Quote from: markflo

I'd rather HANDPICK one Strat out of a hundred and get a quality guitar...

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 07:53:32 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

used suhrs aren't that expensive, or rather, aren't "crazy" expensive.  you can get a used, greate condition suhr for $1000-$1200.  a used custom shop strat would run in the same range.

you've tried suhrs?  you don't like them?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 08:15:10 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan
Quote from: skunkyfunk

used suhrs aren't that expensive, or rather, aren't "crazy" expensive.  you can get a used, greate condition suhr for $1000-$1200.  a used custom shop strat would run in the same range.

you've tried suhrs?  you don't like them?
...they are still expensive...any guitar above a grand FOR ME is expensive.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Suhr guitars
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 08:18:02 AM »
Quote from: Poundcake
hey guys, sinong may Suhr guitars dito? or nakagamit na.. could you tell me the difference sa tonal characteristics nya sa mga Fender at G&L counterparts nya? hardware/parts differences na rin. ang alam ko kasi si John Suhr former luthier ng Fender na nagsolo na to form his own company. pag-usapan natin ang Suhr guitars nya dito! thanks! :)

did you try the andersons sa charleys?  if so, ang suhr parang anderson.   i find the craftmanship to be very consistent compared to fenders.  fenders are hit or miss... you can find good production models but you have to test quite a few.  for suhrs and andersons, all that i've tried have the same high-quality feel to it -- ganda ng frets, smooth ang finish, malinis kung baga.  newer suhrs have the buzz feiten system on 'em.  their classic models are very true to the classics.  i have not tried their other models.

i think new ones hit the low $2000s, but you can find used ones in great condition in the $1000-$1200 range.  i saw a classic strat on the gearpage.net going for $900.  tinawaran ko ng $800.  ayan, that same evening may bumili na at $900.  sayang.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »
they are beautiful but they are expensive, buy used is what i say 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »
Quote from: Phil

actually, minsan (bihira nga lang though) makakakita ka ng less than $1K like i described in my other post.  i saw in some other post that you're looking for a strat?  try looking for a suhr or anderson sa thegearpage.net.  sometimes may good deal.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 09:21:01 AM »

did you try the andersons sa charleys?  if so, ang suhr parang anderson.   i find the craftmanship to be very consistent compared to fenders.  fenders are hit or miss... you can find good production models but you have to test quite a few.  for suhrs and andersons, all that i've tried have the same high-quality feel to it -- ganda ng frets, smooth ang finish, malinis kung baga.  newer suhrs have the buzz feiten system on 'em.  their classic models are very true to the classics.  i have not tried their other models.

i think new ones hit the low $2000s, but you can find used ones in great condition in the $1000-$1200 range.  i saw a classic strat on the gearpage.net going for $900.  tinawaran ko ng $800.  ayan, that same evening may bumili na at $900.  sayang.

yeah man, i tried their Andersons. ganda ng tone! mas makatao yung price ng Anderson compared sa Suhr, though. what i want from Suhr lang naman are the V60LP pickups and the Back Plate Silent Single Coil (BPSSC) system. i want to upgrade my 50th Anniv Strat sana e :)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 10:02:41 AM »
Quote from: Phil

actually, minsan (bihira nga lang though) makakakita ka ng less than $1K like i described in my other post.  i saw in some other post that you're looking for a strat?  try looking for a suhr or anderson sa thegearpage.net.  sometimes may good deal.
yeah..I also go there and check out stuff for sale .

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 10:28:50 AM »
Quote from: zasam_4
+1
mukang meron ka din nung Whitesnake DVD hehe

Oo meron pati Dokken DVD. Yun yung parehas ginagamit ni Reb Beach sa 2 DVDs. :)

Offline guitarman_222

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »

I have tried several, both tele and strat style suhrs. As others have said in this thread, the workmanship and the woods that are used are superb. Hence you pay the price. I have not been able to justify buying one but I use suhr V60LP single coil pickups on two of my strats. You can also get the suhr SSH humbucker. It seems like mas malakas ang output ng Suhr pickups and do not readily breakup until you really crank up the amp when compared to Fender vintage pickups. I used to use an overdrive pedal with Fender vintage pickups. Ngayon wala akong gamit na overdrive or boost. But this is my perception. You may find that with the right timpla, you can use your existing equipment and approximate the tone of a suhr. My humble opinion lang.

Offline guitarman_222

• Netizen Level
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »

I have tried several, both tele and strat style suhrs. As others have said in this thread, the workmanship and the woods that are used are superb. Hence you pay the price. I have not been able to justify buying one but I use suhr V60LP single coil pickups on two of my strats. You can also get the suhr SSH humbucker. It seems like mas malakas ang output ng Suhr pickups and do not readily breakup until you really crank up the amp when compared to Fender vintage pickups. I used to use an overdrive pedal with Fender vintage pickups. Ngayon wala akong gamit na overdrive or boost. But this is my perception. You may find that with the right timpla, you can use your existing equipment and approximate the tone of a suhr. My humble opinion lang.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suhr guitars
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 04:25:56 PM »
I tried a few Suhr's; they are nice but I am happy with my present array of guitars because I know how they play. Between an old strat or an even nice sounding new one, I liked those better than the Suhr's I played. I may need to play a few more to be sold on em, otherwise, I will keep my moolah.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
Quote from: guitarman_222
You may find that with the right timpla, you can use your existing equipment and approximate the tone of a suhr. My humble opinion lang.

actually, let me extend this statement further -- imo, with the right timpla, you can use your existing equipment and approximate the tone of any guitar.

but that's just my opinion as well.  my "listening skills" are not that great to notice the subtle differences in tone/sound between different guitars.

Offline guitarman_222

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 08:33:12 AM »
Quote from: guitarman_222
You may find that with the right timpla, you can use your existing equipment and approximate the tone of a suhr. My humble opinion lang.

actually, let me extend this statement further -- imo, with the right timpla, you can use your existing equipment and approximate the tone of any guitar.

but that's just my opinion as well.  my "listening skills" are not that great to notice the subtle differences in tone/sound between different guitars.

Yup agree.