hulika

Author Topic: Will you shut up if...  (Read 6052 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:19:00 AM »
... oas starts posting soundclips of his gear with HIM playing?  Or would the dissing still continue should he do that?

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 03:41:46 AM »
Pare,

What we want from OAS is quite simple. What we don't want is even simpler.

We don't want condescending replies. We don't want "holier than thou" responses. We don't want "you ain't good enough" reactions. We don't want "if you ain't got the dough...." requites. We don't want unsubstantiated retorts.

We are in awe of what OAS has bought and sold. We are amazed of the stuff he has and what he knows. But he doesn't have to boast it. He can relay his knowledge in a informative way instead of authoritatively.

Posting soundclips of his guitar and amps won't stop the dissing unless the paragraph 2 of this message is heeded.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 04:47:57 AM »
the man does not have to prove anything... he's the one boasting about this tone thing about his gear kaya maraming gustong makarinig ng soundclip nya and it's also to know if his talking is as good as his playing.

anyways what people want here is a little bit of humbleness galing sa the man and stop degregading other people who is not as rich as he is...
he should start learning that not everything is his way.
an appology perhaps?

anyways for me i don't care about the oas issue, he really sure does know how to entertain people. he can say whatever he wants. hindi naman nya madadala ang bowteek amps nya hanggang sa kabaong.

but the majority here is not please with his attitude. so he should try to be a little bit concious about other pipols feelings.

olraytee? :wink:  :)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:29:29 AM »
yeah. asking for soundclips is just the fruit of our (i'm using this pronoun loosely) curiosity. personally, i'd shut up if the conditions i laid out in the other thread are met. a few other members will probably join me on that. that is until something bad in the forum arises because of him again.

now, a folow up question would be... will you shut up if we shut up?

hahaha. i couldn't help it. :mrgreen:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:38:17 AM »
is oas that good? :lol:
that once he starts to play, people will shut up? :lol:
 :mrgreen:
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline Darktwistedmind

Will you shut up if...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 06:04:41 AM »
Quote from: SDMF

He said it himself. He's not a musician, so what good to expect from this claim? I guess his gear sounds better than his playing... or his gear would sound good if he's not the one playing... nah.. i don't know.
"If you don't know what your passion is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it."                  — Oprah Winfrey

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 08:23:26 AM »
If he shows humility and respect to his kapwa tao I will, If he post's a sound/video clip and still continues to be Oasgomez then tuloy pa rin ang Chronicles :lol:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
let him be, guys. di yan maging rock star kahit anong ganda pa ng gamit nya :) ang dami-daming mapapag-usapan na iba dito e, nakakasawa na yung $4,100 or 5,000-year-old mastodon talk na to. kung gusto nya magtest ng 11 guitars all at once, pabayaan nyo na! kaligayahan nya magwaldas ng limpak-limpak na salapi para sa kanyang never-ending search for tone heaven. and yes, no matter how good a person's equipment is, if someone can't use it himself to share his music to others (which is what the purpose of making music really is) then furniture lang lahat yan, kahelera ng mga lampshade at sofa bed. guys, just be happy that no matter how inferior (or below the $2,500 cut-off price) your gear is, you're using your far cheaper equipment to achieve what he can't: to share your wonderful music with others. kaya wag na sya patulan mga pare, just try to salvage whatever helpful information sir Alex can give. in fairness, kahit papaano may mga naoopen up din naman syang mga info on new equipment (i never knew about Two-Rock or Teese pedals without the great oasgomez) sa atin.

i don't have anything against oas. but if he keeps on acting like that, mayroon at mayroong magagalit e..  :?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
yeah. asking for soundclips is just the fruit of our (i'm using this pronoun loosely) curiosity. personally, i'd shut up if the conditions i laid out in the other thread are met. a few other members will probably join me on that. that is until something bad in the forum arises because of him again.

now, a folow up question would be... will you shut up if we shut up?

hahaha. i couldn't help it. :mrgreen:

Once you and I shut up = a lifeless forum

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 10:23:29 AM »
Quote from: Poundcake
let him be, guys. di yan maging rock star kahit anong ganda pa ng gamit nya :) ang dami-daming mapapag-usapan na iba dito e, nakakasawa na yung $4,100 or 5,000-year-old mastodon talk na to. kung gusto nya magtest ng 11 guitars all at once, pabayaan nyo na! kaligayahan nya magwaldas ng limpak-limpak na salapi para sa kanyang never-ending search for tone heaven. and yes, no matter how good a person's equipment is, if someone can't use it himself to share his music to others (which is what the purpose of making music really is) then furniture lang lahat yan, kahelera ng mga lampshade at sofa bed. guys, just be happy that no matter how inferior (or below the $2,500 cut-off price) your gear is, you're using your far cheaper equipment to achieve what he can't: to share your wonderful music with others. kaya wag na sya patulan mga pare, just try to salvage whatever helpful information sir Alex can give. in fairness, kahit papaano may mga naoopen up din naman syang mga info on new equipment (i never knew about Two-Rock or Teese pedals without the great oasgomez) sa atin.

i don't have anything against oas. but if he keeps on acting like that, mayroon at mayroong magagalit e..  :?

hmmmm i have a suggestion that'll probably be effective if we all do the same thing.

If for example we are in a discussion tapos humirit nanaman sya ng medyo alanganin, let's all ignore him altogether.  As in wag tayo magreply sa kanya. As if we didn't read it. Kahit gaano pa ka informative yung post nya, pag may kayabangan kayong nararamdaman wag na tayong pumatol, magreply, or mainis.  that way, we won't be giving him a handle to latch on to. pag di tayo nag react, walang counterattack, walang mudslinging. tapos pahiya pa siya. Malinis pa ang konsensya natin. :wink:

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:52:23 AM »
Quote from: Taoistguitarist

hmmmm i have a suggestion that'll probably be effective if we all do the same thing.

If for example we are in a discussion tapos humirit nanaman sya ng medyo alanganin, let's all ignore him altogether.  As in wag tayo magreply sa kanya. As if we didn't read it. Kahit gaano pa ka informative yung post nya, pag may kayabangan kayong nararamdaman wag na tayong pumatol, magreply, or mainis.  that way, we won't be giving him a handle to latch on to. pag di tayo nag react, walang counterattack, walang mudslinging. tapos pahiya pa siya. Malinis pa ang konsensya natin. :wink:

:-k  posible kaya?

para mo na rin sinabi sa isang turoturo na tambayan ng mga driver na wag na manood ng shows ni boy abunda, kris, wawawi....etc...hehehe :lol:

idle mind... just like me as of june 17, 2006 11:13am

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »
OT lang: oy aeny! musta na? nabenta mo na ba Sansamp Classic mo? hehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 11:10:52 AM »

what? so, assuming your still replying within context, what's the point of this whole thread?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »
OT lang: oy aeny! musta na? nabenta mo na ba Sansamp Classic mo? hehe :)

brad wala e....dami inquire pero mahal kasi ian. hehe

meron nga isa icacard daw nya kahit ano worth 13k for my sansamp...kaso wala na balita ano nangyari.
eto mistulang collector's item nasa kahon lang.

musta iseyts? buti kapa pa tourtour nalang! meron kabang mxr micro amp jan na mura brad?

[-o<

OT...excuse lang po mga oas fans....ian...pm nalang. hehe

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Will you shut up if...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 12:59:47 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
... oas starts posting soundclips of his gear with HIM playing?  Or would the dissing still continue should he do that?

Him posting clips will not shut up people. On the contrary, you might see some hilarious alaskahan dito. After that dies down, dissing him will only stop if he stops dissing others in the first place.

Ang dami na ritong nagiisip na gawin yung suggestion ni taostguitarist... I even tried it myself for a while. Pero oasgomez nuggets of widsdow are so persistent, personally directed, and ludicrous that we can't help not passing up a funny retort. :-)

If he's man enough to give it, he should be man enough to take it.  In the same token, if he starts showing more respect, I'm sure he'll earn people's respect too.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 01:22:30 PM »

what? so, assuming your still replying within context, what's the point of this whole thread?

I've always thought that there is always a balance of things.  Yin-yang ika nga.  Some people go for extreme politically-correct behavior, while others go the a-hole route.  

I think having one oas in this forum is healthy enough.  And yes, I've been insulted as well.  But I just can't imagine when everyone here gets way too polite.  I am not condoning being bastos either, it is just that I recognize the individuality of people in a community.  And of course, when things are getting out of hand, we can always call the cop... Sir Markflo.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 02:39:21 PM »
Quote from: Darktwistedmind
Quote from: SDMF

He said it himself. He's not a musician, so what good to expect from this claim? I guess his gear sounds better than his playing... or his gear would sound good if he's not the one playing... nah.. i don't know.

kya nga like i posted in some other thread na"bumibili lang sha nga gears para ipa gamit sa iba" :P

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 02:47:53 PM »

'di ba iisa lang si skunk and OAS? :wink:  :twisted:
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline markflo

Will you shut up if...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
will you stop starting weird threads like this if we answer your question?  :wink:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline guitarman_222

• Netizen Level
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »
He is not competent to make an opinion that will stick to musicians in the know. He is simply a buyer and seller of gear, lets others use whatever gear he has and listens to their opinions and puts that into replies in threads. In that context, he is simply a waste of time. If one believes you "cannot teach an old dog new tricks" then will he really change ?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 04:21:41 PM »
well, you could always go the a'la Chris rock route: Öh yeah? You got expensive stuff BUT can you kick MY a$$?

Payabangan will only get people so far and, I think, that seems to be the majority of the problem here. I mean, it doesn't take much to record a guitar cab - really - if that is just what people are looking for. Lets get real, not every one has access to Neve, Digidesign, Langevin, blah, blah, blah gear. And even if you do, there is a steep learning curve to use those pieces of equipment. Hell, it took me almost 2 years to even get a hang of my Control 24 and that doesn't have anywhere near the number of channels an SSL or Neve posseses. So, you make do with what you have! Even someone with the most spartan of all setups can, with good setup and knowledge, capture a good feel and tone of an amp. Seriously. And even then, if you don't have a good iso chamber or live room, you could always - through personal networking - take advantage of other's setups and gig spaces that is more recording friendly. That is, unless you CAN"T take advantage of any friendly networks because people hate your guts...that is going to be a problem.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »
Quote from: markflo
will you stop starting weird threads like this if we answer your question?  :wink:

LOL!  +1

"Love hurts.... love scars... " - Nazareth

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 06:32:22 PM »
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:09:06 AM by xavier »

Offline iced.ink.used.ink

• Veteran Member
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »
Quote from: markflo

sapul! :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Will you shut up if...
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 07:06:20 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
well, you could always go the a'la Chris rock route: Öh yeah? You got expensive stuff BUT can you kick MY a$$?

Payabangan will only get people so far and, I think, that seems to be the majority of the problem here. I mean, it doesn't take much to record a guitar cab - really - if that is just what people are looking for. Lets get real, not every one has access to Neve, Digidesign, Langevin, blah, blah, blah gear. And even if you do, there is a steep learning curve to use those pieces of equipment. Hell, it took me almost 2 years to even get a hang of my Control 24 and that doesn't have anywhere near the number of channels an SSL or Neve posseses. So, you make do with what you have! Even someone with the most spartan of all setups can, with good setup and knowledge, capture a good feel and tone of an amp. Seriously. And even then, if you don't have a good iso chamber or live room, you could always - through personal networking - take advantage of other's setups and gig spaces that is more recording friendly. That is, unless you CAN"T take advantage of any friendly networks because people hate your guts...that is going to be a problem.

Abyss, I really think recording is like photography.  When someone else says "Nothing beats seeing and hearing things in person...", I acknowledge that, but to make a blanket statement that recording is not worth the effort  kinda irks me.  If I had oas' stuff I would try to record them as much as I could, whether it were me or someone else playing.  Of course the better the recording equipment, the better the reproduction of the sound source.  Of course taste and technical skill of the player and recordist should come into play.  

I do recording both for a living and my outlet in life.  It is the interaction between musicians that really makes me feel "young".  ;)  There is always something to learn from both young and old musicians.  It is the dynamism of working with different genres of music that broadens my way of thinking.  

My tip to oas is not to be afraid to "take a picture of himself" through a sound recording.  Say you have an A/B test of himself doing some Green Day stuff, using a Herbert vs. a DI setup (say a POD XTL patch), people would have a better assessment of his claims.  

The way I understand it, when oas starts acknowledging some tone gurus' ideas (musicians, manufacturers or techs alike), the folks here categorize that as "name-dropping".  Whereas if Perf would say the same things, the folks here would probably can call that "acknowledging someone else's ideas", as if he was making a footnote in a thesis.