hulika

Poll

What is the Achilles heel of local recordings?

Drums
4 (20%)
Guitars
0 (0%)
Vocals
0 (0%)
The mix as a whole
11 (55%)
Mastering
5 (25%)
Arrangement
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: June 17, 2006, 11:51:46 AM

Author Topic: What is the Achilles heel of our recordings?  (Read 16499 times)

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
Re: What is the Achilles heel of our recordings?
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
 :lol:

my fault for trying to argue with a person who just does not make any sense at all.

argue = to converse/debate about a topic. hindi "away".
haha...sheesh...

talaga? ORIGINAL KA? ANONG SOFTWARE GAMIT MO? GAWANG PINOY?  :lol: kanino ka natututo magrecord at mix? sa angking talento mo lang? hahaha...   aber, sa sample clip mo, anong tunog ang nainvoke mo? a western sound. that's what. anong gamit mo na software at synths? kanino mo nakita yung style of music at mixing at arranging na yan?

see how hipocritical you are?

you "suggest", you talk, but you cant (defend) or support your statements...  (not defend your honor or your name, you moron...supporting your statements)

fascinatedbymusic has just discredited himself. bravo.  :lol:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:30:53 PM by chromeknive »

Offline fascinatedbymusic

• Netizen Level
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
 :-D

wag ka ng mag asal bata.  heheheeeeeeeeeh

pahingi nga ng popcorn dyan KitC:mrgreen: yung cheese flavor lang hheheeeeheh

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2008, 10:41:28 PM »
 :lol:

is that the best come-back you can muster?

b-a-r-a-d-o.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:43:00 PM by chromeknive »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2008, 01:29:16 AM »
Hmmmm... there's no better bait than flamebait.

Popcorn, anyone?

Interesting subject this thing about originality because if you really think about it, rock isn't originally filipino, it's mostly a caucasian thing. Same with hiphop which we can say is originally african american so it probably shouldn't fit the profile of what a filipino recording should sound like. Even classical music should then be suspect since Mozart, Beethoven, Tsaikovsky and their ilk were so unkind to bestow their musings upon us. So what exactly should an ORIGINAL FILIPINO RECORDING sound like if we were to REMOVE ALL EXTERNAL INFLUENCES? Strangely enough, gamelans and kulintang come to mind, which is a bit ironic since gamelan music is primarily an indonesian thing.

Unfortunately, we didn't invent recording technology. They did, and for that I am thankful. Sure, all these foreign engineers developed all the techniques and gear needed to make a successful recording, and rightly so, since they were doing it while we, as a race, were fighting among ourselves over who should lead our country during our first taste of independence. Oh look! We're fighting among ourselves RIGHT NOW! I think we would get much further ahead if we stop all this crab mentality.

With the global mentality today, there is no way we can make music that hasn't been externally influenced, either through arranging or through technology. Even our very own kundiman must have been influenced by the spaniards in some way 400 years ago. The best thing that we CAN do is develop our own sound, our own style. The japanese have done it and are succeeding; our own music is also somehow being appreciated by people and races who are NOT filipino, so there. At least we're getting somewhere, albeit somewhat slowly with all this infighting.

Ok... rant over. Popcorn's all popped... all I need is some soda or better yet, brewski. Hey Mikey! Got any Samuel Adams in your neck of the woods? What's on HBO?

Sam Adams? Oh yes - but I am drinking Killian's Irish Red right now. I haven't been watching HBO because I just got the box sets for MacGuyver - all seven seasons. I am going to immerse myself in 80s goodness for the weekend!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

• Netizen Level
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2008, 07:31:29 AM »
Sam Adams? Oh yes - but I am drinking Killian's Irish Red right now. I haven't been watching HBO because I just got the box sets for MacGuyver - all seven seasons. I am going to immerse myself in 80s goodness for the weekend!

curious lang ako. ikaw ba yung avatar mo?

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »
Kitc, this isn't fair --- I missed most of the action already. Been too busy making too many unoriginal OPM concerts and recordings... Still a good problem, of course (especially with the upcoming wedding). Too much work will always be a good problem, and a very welcome one.

I guess this is the curse of technology -- people using it to further inflate their already-inflated egos, rather that help out people who need a little push. I have had the great honor of being able to work alongside some of the greatest music makers of this country. They too have been confronted with their own set of situations during their times. They too wanted to put our country on the musical map. They too wanted our music to have an identity. They too wanted to come up with music that is both brilliant and original. The process by which they did their jobs was so much more demanding than the way we do it. They wrote out the parts for the band and the orchestra, and the vocalists sang and musicians played without the benefit of CTRL-Z. The thing is, (as I've already pointed out) the music business is as much about business as it is about music. Our industry is confronted with so many more other factors than mere originality, and level of quality. The issue of piracy has made the situation a lot worse -- our industry is barely making any money. You can't argue with the people who buy the records, and you can't question why they buy the type of music they buy, as much as they don't question your musical tastes.

Kung yung mga CD ni Willie Revillame ang gusto nilang bilhin, eh sino naman tayo para pigilan sila? It's also not my type of music, but music is a very personal thing, and a cultural one too.

Parang spaghetti. You can bitch all you want about how unauthentic the taste of spaghetti in our local food chains, but you can't argue with this fact -- mas mabenta yung mga spaghetti na matamis.

People have criticized Sitti -- how unauthentic her 'bossa' is, but again, you can't argue about the fact that it sells.

Don't get me wrong. I too think our music needs to improve. But so does the rest of the situation of our local music industry.

People are able to acquire unauthorized copies of music and music software, whether bought from Greenhills, Quiapo, or downloaded from torrent sites, or P2P programs. They spend a little time with some piece of music software (or worse, one that they won't be likely to afford if they had to get a legal one -- like Nuendo or Sequoia, or complete Waves bundles), and then consider themselves sound engineers, or music-makers.

After that, they give themselves the right to bash others.

That's cool with me. I just wished they showed a little more respect towards those who have been in our industry far longer than they have. We all have the right to criticize, but I have trouble listening to opinions from people who can't put their money where their mouths are.

Oh, by the way, being Filipino is no excuse for wrong grammar. I'm Filipino too. I'm not perfect, but I work hard on my music (inspired by my musical heroes from here and abroad too, like most of my peers), ...and my grammar (also not original -- but heck, it works).

The quest for our own sound is also not a new thing -- but it is as worthwhile right now, and it will continue to be as worthwhile an endeavor as it has always been. We need patience and diligence to have a fighting chance towards such a tremendously big goal.

There's nothing wrong with imitating our musical heroes and influences. The masters of the past have imitated their heroes too.

Some people just want to make music that sounds good to their ears, whether it sounds copied from another piece of music, or not. And yet there are those who want to be original, even if their music sucked.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but most of the people who love bashing the works of his fellow artists (as opposed to offering constructive criticism -- but of course it's hard to draw the line), are the ones who either suck, or haven't done anything that matters yet.

Those who know how much of a hard work the process of music making really is, develop a sense of respect to those who have done it in the past, and those who continue being involved.

Guys, we need to change a lot of things -- but let's not make the MT&P forums like the GC forums, if you know what I mean. This section of Philmusic is among the most helpful ones.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:01:24 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
@fascinatedbymusic  -- I listened to your sound clip. I think it's pretty good, and I can hear how much hard work you put into it. But it's also far from being an original idea. Some friendly unsolicited advice from a co-forumite -- it will go a long way if we all try to get along. Some people just want to improve their music, and aren't really on the quest to make music history and come up with something original, or employ original methods.

Sometimes we do things the way we do (even if the idea isn't original) only because it works. For example, we most often use snare drums for backbeats, or use chord patterns with bars in multiples of 4, or use triplet patterns, 4/4 or 12/8 time signatures, or 3/4 time and its derivatives, or use the french horn section for that cinematic sound. Those are things that have been, well, "tried and tested". The same thing with recording. Some people just want to make their recordings as good as they hear it in their head. They use the same mics and outboard gear as their idols use, and whether or not they are able to achieve the same sound as their heroes' is a thing that they'll find out on their own. Why use an SM57 on snare drum? Because so many good recordings have made use of it. There's nothing wrong with employing all those devices. That's how we learn. And that's how I think we will be able to improve our music.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:51:08 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
Glad you're back, Marvin! How did the concert go? Sorry I wasn't able to make it to your practice session the day before... hope I didn't disappoint Gerard. One of those days for me  :oops: ... again!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
curious lang ako. ikaw ba yung avatar mo?

Oooohh.... down, boy... down! That's his GF in his avatar, dude!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
OT alert -- Martin's concert went very well, and very, very long. 4 hours in fact. After the concert, I had to go home to pack my things coz we had to fly to Tacloban at 5am, for another show there, then had to fly back to Manila the following day, to catch the plane to Zamboanga. After we came home the following day, I had to do a lot of arrangements because I was gonna have a rehearsal the following day for a show I MD'ed for. (It also was a huge success, both based on attendance and the feedback we got -- it was the one held at the Araneta last night -- the one of Sarah, Rachelle Ann, Erik and Christian) It was the very first time in my career that I MD'ed and had to write out the charts for THE ENTIRE CONCERT. :-)

Oh, by the way, I had the great honor of leading an awesome-sounding band: no less than the great Roy Mercado on drums, Ardie De Guzman on guitars, Nikko Rivera on second keys, Junjun Perez on bass, and Rickson Ruiz on percussion. On backup vocals were the members of the vocal group Opera - Manolo Tanquilut, Cecile Aurellado, and Sushi Reyes. Zebedee Zuniga did the vocal arrangements and vocal coaching. :-)

Sorry again for the OT.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:10:31 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »

Kung yung mga CD ni Willie Revillame ang gusto nilang bilhin, eh sino naman tayo para pigilan sila? It's also not my type of music, but music is a very personal thing, and a cultural one too.

Parang spaghetti. You can bitch all you want about how unauthentic the taste of spaghetti in our local food chains, but you can't argue with this fact -- mas mabenta yung mga spaghetti na matamis.

People have criticized Sitti -- how unauthentic her 'bossa' is, but again, you can't argue about the fact that it sells.

Awww. Hit ! Yes I hate Sitti and said so unabashedly. It's not the personal kind of hate as in the same way that my love for Camryn Mannheim is not a personal kind of love :D .

I can choose *sana* to ignore her. I won't buy her albums, won't go to her shows, change the channel when she's the guest, but when she becomes a little too pervasive as to appear on quick commercials which I don't have the time to change the channel for...teka ibang usapan na to. Intrusion na talaga to and my right to choose is being undermined. If I can only master that mental process where I can shut her out mentally and detach her nasal, head-ringing, pretentiously jazz diva wannabee voice out of my consciousness I'll be a happy camper. But I can't yet. Enough Sitti bashing here at least. I can't respect her coz the companies behind her can't respect my private right TO NOT HEAR HER VOICE. Nowww...put in your mind the picture of your most hated teacher and watch this person as he slowwwwly scratches the blackboard...can you clearly hear that sound of the fingernails drawn across the blackboard ? Can you imagine what other sensations this sound draws out from your body and mind ? Ewww.

Don't get me wrong. I too think our music needs to improve. But so does the rest of the situation of our local music industry.

People are able to acquire unauthorized copies of music and music software, whether bought from Greenhills, Quiapo, or downloaded from torrent sites, or P2P programs. They spend a little time with some piece of music software (or worse, one that they won't be likely to afford if they had to get a legal one -- like Nuendo or Sequoia, or complete Waves bundles), and then consider themselves sound engineers, or music-makers.

After that, they give themselves the right to bash others.

That's cool with me. I just wished they showed a little more respect towards those who have been in our industry far longer than they have. We all have the right to criticize, but I have trouble listening to opinions from people who can't put their money where their mouths are.

Ironically, and I mean IRONICALLY, piracy is one of the things that make this country great. See how many programmers, administrators, database managers and Office application users this country has turned out ? Almost everybody can use a computer round these parts. Do you think majority of them learned their art from genuine copies of oracle, cisco press, or ms office ? Therefore, these people are not qualified to have an opinion ? The Philippines is a very powerful international IT hub because of the sheer number of IT professionals raised on pirated software. Don't get me wrong, I won't want to offend you (needless to say), I'm just challenging your paradigm.

Same goes with audio. So engineers who learned their chops with pirated software don't have an opinion too ? That's a little too harsh IMHO of course. Whether or not you're to gain respect in your industry is not to be determined by your gear, but by your work.

More "engineers" (or recordists or "audio professionals" whatevers the most appropriate term) in the industry will only lead to improvement. More "wise guys", more ideas, more in-fighting, more challenging of others work (my mix better than yours) will all serve to create tension that can only alleviate the standards of this art. Oh yes. Ironically, man's greatest achievements happened with warfare and competition in mind  hahehehe (the jet engine, the computer, the Internet are all warfare-oriented innovations). Even established gurus will have to keep on their toes lest an upcoming hotshot make him and his techniques obsolete di ba ? So it can only be all good. IMHO of course.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but most of the people who love bashing the works of his fellow artists (as opposed to offering constructive criticism -- but of course it's hard to draw the line), are the ones who either suck, or haven't done anything that matters yet.

The statement is quite broad, far-reaching and vague, but let me offer my take on one possible meaning.

Whenever an artist puts out music to the public, SPECIALLY IF IT'S FOR SALE, then he or she is offering his work onto the altar of public criticism. Oh yes, criticism is a consumer's right. They can criticize silently by not buying, or they can criticize out loud. Either way is fair game. If any artist wants to be free of criticism be it good or bad, best he keep his music to himself. Di ba ?

Bashing and conflict per se, in my experience, is not necessarily a bad thing, as I've explained somewhere above. Unpleasant as it might become, it is a tool for evolution.

Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

• Netizen Level
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »
OT:

@marvinq & KitC,

at least, naintindihan ninyo ang nais kong ipahiwatig. ang hirap kais mag english. kaya sometimes, hindi tayo mag kaintindihan.. hehehehehe your words are well taken.

don't worry, no hurt feelings here. hehehehehehehe...   

VERY NICE FORUM YOU HAVE HERE...

MORE POWER TO YOU..!!!!!!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »
Oooohh.... down, boy... down! That's his GF in his avatar, dude!

haha...nah, i don't have the guts to put my pic up. in fact, i am not very fond of having my picture taken. hindi ako photogenic eh so pic ng syota na lang.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »
Awww. Hit ! Yes I hate Sitti and said so unabashedly. It's not the personal kind of hate as in the same way that my love for Camryn Mannheim is not a personal kind of love :D .

I can choose *sana* to ignore her. I won't buy her albums, won't go to her shows, change the channel when she's the guest, but when she becomes a little too pervasive as to appear on quick commercials which I don't have the time to change the channel for...teka ibang usapan na to. Intrusion na talaga to and my right to choose is being undermined. If I can only master that mental process where I can shut her out mentally and detach her nasal, head-ringing, pretentiously jazz diva wannabee voice out of my consciousness I'll be a happy camper. But I can't yet. Enough Sitti bashing here at least. I can't respect her coz the companies behind her can't respect my private right TO NOT HEAR HER VOICE. Nowww...put in your mind the picture of your most hated teacher and watch this person as he slowwwwly scratches the blackboard...can you clearly hear that sound of the fingernails drawn across the blackboard ? Can you imagine what other sensations this sound draws out from your body and mind ? Ewww.

Ironically, and I mean IRONICALLY, piracy is one of the things that make this country great. See how many programmers, administrators, database managers and Office application users this country has turned out ? Almost everybody can use a computer round these parts. Do you think majority of them learned their art from genuine copies of oracle, cisco press, or ms office ? Therefore, these people are not qualified to have an opinion ? The Philippines is a very powerful international IT hub because of the sheer number of IT professionals raised on pirated software. Don't get me wrong, I won't want to offend you (needless to say), I'm just challenging your paradigm.

Same goes with audio. So engineers who learned their chops with pirated software don't have an opinion too ? That's a little too harsh IMHO of course. Whether or not you're to gain respect in your industry is not to be determined by your gear, but by your work.

More "engineers" (or recordists or "audio professionals" whatevers the most appropriate term) in the industry will only lead to improvement. More "wise guys", more ideas, more in-fighting, more challenging of others work (my mix better than yours) will all serve to create tension that can only alleviate the standards of this art. Oh yes. Ironically, man's greatest achievements happened with warfare and competition in mind  hahehehe (the jet engine, the computer, the Internet are all warfare-oriented innovations). Even established gurus will have to keep on their toes lest an upcoming hotshot make him and his techniques obsolete di ba ? So it can only be all good. IMHO of course.

The statement is quite broad, far-reaching and vague, but let me offer my take on one possible meaning.

Whenever an artist puts out music to the public, SPECIALLY IF IT'S FOR SALE, then he or she is offering his work onto the altar of public criticism. Oh yes, criticism is a consumer's right. They can criticize silently by not buying, or they can criticize out loud. Either way is fair game. If any artist wants to be free of criticism be it good or bad, best he keep his music to himself. Di ba ?

Bashing and conflict per se, in my experience, is not necessarily a bad thing, as I've explained somewhere above. Unpleasant as it might become, it is a tool for evolution.

Your points have been well-taken, Jobet. Anyway, I can respect the love or hate you have for particular artists, whether local or foreign, but that's what being a free country is about -- my point regarding this is, we can't really consider majority of the market wrong, just because we don't agree with their preferences, whether it's music, TV shows, or whatever else. I can respect your hate for her, and that's coming from somebody who adores her. Well, except for her singing. :-)

I too am not blind to the "benefits" of pirated software. I hope you'd still have the same feelings if they pirated software that you developed and are selling. You know what I mean. I know you do.:-)

Well, I also get your points about the benefits of criticism, competition, bashing, criticsm etc. -- but I wouldn't want to employ that method if there were some other way (preferably one that involves less friction) to reach whatever goal (improving our music, for instance).

Perhaps I didn't state my point clearly about that vague, far-reaching and broad statement. I'm just not sure if it's just by pure coincidence that the loudest and most frequent critics are the ones who haven't proven anything yet, or are too afraid of being criticized back to finish any work that would expose them. Just an observation -- no statement's being made here.

My invitation to those who think they know how to improve our music -- put your money where your mouth is, do what you think needs to be done, show the way, 'coz if you're right, everybody stands to benefit from your efforts, and I'll stay out of your way, so you can achieve your goal, 'coz that's also what I want anyway. :-) I'm just not too sure -- you might end up sharing the same sentiments with those who have tried before. This is of course only my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:06:20 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »

My invitation to those who think they know how to improve our music -- put your money where your mouth is, do what you think needs to be done, show the way, 'coz if you're right, everybody stands to benefit from your efforts, and I'll stay out of your way, so you can achieve your goal, 'coz that's also what I want anyway. :-) I'm just not too sure -- you might end up sharing the same sentiments with those who have tried before. This is of course only my opinion.

MISMO !!! Thesis statement ! Phrase resolution ! +1. Smiley :D hehehe.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »
Those were nice discourses, Jobet, Marvin.

Hope things stay civil from now on. Carry on!

LouieAzcona

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
@marvinq - just had one of the few moments of having enough patience to read posts that are longer than my monitor screen.  :-D

sana po dumami ang katulad niyo na mga Pinoy ang pinagmamalaki at hindi lang sarili.

na nagsasabi na madaming magagaling dito. hindi yung nagsasabi na, "madami na ako nakatrabahong malalaking tao"

madami kasi jan nauuna ung daldal bago yung music na dapat prinoproduce nila eh.

siguro po mamamatay muna tayo bago magkaroon ng sariling tatak ang music ng pinoy. mabuti pa ang JAPAN may JAPROCK.

eh kung yung kundiman natin, na kini-claim natin na sariling atin ay galing pa sa mga kastila eh.

tapos ituturo ng mga teacher sa elementary: Mga bata, Ang mga Pilipino ay Malikhain!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:09:02 PM by LouieAzcona »

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »
OT:
marvs kelan ang wedding bells? imbitado ba kami? hehe

sabi nga pala ni hazel. pag naluwag daw sked nila ni shinji gettogether daw uli sa SC
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
We are so going to go around in circles if we were to pull out what things are originally and unabashedly Filipino.

Simple definitions state something like, if it's written by a Filipino, then it's OPM.

I mean, everything is influenced. Perhaps, even if we started using the alibata instead of the Roman alphabet, historians would still say it's Malay in origin.

So IMHO, let's stop splitting hairs about what is Filipino and what's not because the lines will be varied and ill-defined. :D

Warmest

@marvinq - just had one of the few moments of having enough patience to read posts that are longer than my monitor screen.  :-D

sana po dumami ang katulad niyo na mga Pinoy ang pinagmamalaki at hindi lang sarili.

na nagsasabi na madaming magagaling dito. hindi yung nagsasabi na, "madami na ako nakatrabahong malalaking tao"

madami kasi jan nauuna ung daldal bago yung music na dapat prinoproduce nila eh.

siguro po mamamatay muna tayo bago magkaroon ng sariling tatak ang music ng pinoy. mabuti pa ang JAPAN may JAPROCK.

eh kung yung kundiman natin, na kini-claim natin na sariling atin ay galing pa sa mga kastila eh.

tapos ituturo ng mga teacher sa elementary: Mga bata, Ang mga Pilipino ay Malikhain!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »
I once tried to integrate traditional rhythms and indigenous music into more modern formats. A bit hard since the time signatures of traditional music aren't exactly 4/4 in a lot of cases. Purists will call this bastardization of our music. I'm thinking that the younger generations will at least get a chance to hear some ancestral rhythms since this is most likely how they will get exposed to traditional music. Kinda reminds me of my daughter's fascination with the shredded version of Canon in D Major.  :|

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
We are so going to go around in circles if we were to pull out what things are originally and unabashedly Filipino.

Simple definitions state something like, if it's written by a Filipino, then it's OPM.

I mean, everything is influenced. Perhaps, even if we started using the alibata instead of the Roman alphabet, historians would still say it's Malay in origin.

So IMHO, let's stop splitting hairs about what is Filipino and what's not because the lines will be varied and ill-defined. :D

Warmest

Mismo, sir!

Why this need to point out which is Filipino and which is not? Today's music, or at least the majority of Pop music don't even stay faithful anymore to their specific-genre. Not a bad thing. Just stating a fact.

IMHO, efforts should be towards improving the quality of the music, both in terms of content and sound quality. I will enjoy good music of any genre whether it was done by an American or a fellow Asian.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. The Japanese didn't invent the automobile, but Japanese cars do have their own identity in that particular industry. The same thing with Japanese Jazz and Rock music. They may not satisfy every musical taste, but again, they do have their own sound.

Maybe it's the efforts to sound American that's killing our chances. This  is so different from merely being influenced by American music, which I don't consider to be a bad thing.

We hear it from our own mouths --- "Ang galing niyang tumugtog, parang Kano ang dating!..."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:25:05 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

• Netizen Level
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »
We hear it from our own mouths --- "Ang galing niyang tumugtog, parang Kano ang dating!..."

Dapat ganito, "Ang galing niyang tumugtog, parang PINOY ang dating!...". Darating din tayo dyan. Wag na wag lang tayo susuko.

:mrgreen:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »
I once tried to integrate traditional rhythms and indigenous music into more modern formats. A bit hard since the time signatures of traditional music aren't exactly 4/4 in a lot of cases. Purists will call this bastardization of our music. I'm thinking that the younger generations will at least get a chance to hear some ancestral rhythms since this is most likely how they will get exposed to traditional music. Kinda reminds me of my daughter's fascination with the shredded version of Canon in D Major.  :|

amen - i am suprised that no one has collaborated heavily with people who specialize in indigenous music. i have long wanted to collect and use local pinoy instruments but i imagine shipping a Kulintang and similar instruments to the US would cost me an arm and a leg..lol. i can can dream and hope that it will become a reality one day tho...

• Netizen Level
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »
amen - i am suprised that no one has collaborated heavily with people who specialize in indigenous music. i have long wanted to collect and use local pinoy instruments but i imagine shipping a Kulintang and similar instruments to the US would cost me an arm and a leg..lol. i can can dream and hope that it will become a reality one day tho...

Baka matulongan ka ni Bob Aves.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2008, 12:24:22 AM »

not really indigenous but lionel/acid42 from electronicamanila was the "electronica" guy for grace nono's band while he was still here (he's in the u.s. now). he also had a lot of kundiman or indigenous music charts that he scanned i think. he was just giving them away to people who were interested in making something out of them.

i worked with some college kids here in davao who were of mandaya(?) heritage. i basically tracked some kuglong/hegalong playing, some gimba(drums) and the singer's chanting and made loops out of them and wrote some music around it with beats and synths and such. it was okay i guess but as a cultural statement it was about as authentic as german moreno is german :(
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis