hulika

Poll

Punk covers: natutuwa pa ba kayo dito?

Oo
Hindi

Author Topic: Punk covers: natutuwa pa ba kayo o hindi?  (Read 8691 times)

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Punk covers: natutuwa pa ba kayo o hindi?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
siguro sir iba yung punk as music... sa punk as way of life... at punk as style ng pananamit... pedeng magkakahalo, pede din magkakahiwalay, pede ding as a whole.. pero nakuha ko point mo siguro ang ibig mong sabihin yung oldschool punk which is pure in a sense na hindi pa ina-adopt ng mga tao yung iba't ibang elements ng punk as a whole.

The problem is, the bands of today that call themselves punk do not understand anything!

Punk is 99% attitude! It is a way to find your place in this world and make a better life for yourself without the help of anyone who thinks they know better than you. It is always meant to offend the people who are sitting in their comfortable chairs and don't give a heck about the poor and disenfranchised. Precisely the anti-establishment ethos - the people in the establishment don't know how to deal with these poor and disenfranchised.

The 1% are just peripherals: clothes, music, hairstyle etc...

The thing is, if you isolate the music to the lifestyle, it just does not sound authentic - there is no reality to it. True, you can make ANY song arranged to sound punk rock. Heck you can do that to the National Anthem and it will still fit (however, be prepared to be sued by the National Historical Institute).

Truth of the matter is, you cannot separate punk and its peripherals without looking or sounding ridiculous. You will be definitely branded as a poser. And no man worth his salt can stomache being called one.

Those who are covering those pop songs and making it sound punk is not punk at all. True, the punk bands of yesteryear are doing covers but they are covering songs that still talk about their life:

The Clash doing Police and Thieves, I Fought The Law, The Call Up all talk about the realities of their lives despite being covers.

The Sex Pistols doing I'm Not Your Stepping Stone, Don't Give Me No Lip Child, all the lyrics of those songs rang true to their ethos.

The Ramones doing Spiderman - precisely because they want to make a big farty joke. Not to be cute!

Why do a lot of us are defending old school things here like me? Because old school knows what it is all about and the new school missed it.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline paeng

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
The problem is, the bands of today that call themselves punk do not understand anything!

Punk is 99% attitude! It is a way to find your place in this world and make a better life for yourself without the help of anyone who thinks they know better than you. It is always meant to offend the people who are sitting in their comfortable chairs and don't give a heck about the poor and disenfranchised. Precisely the anti-establishment ethos - the people in the establishment don't know how to deal with these poor and disenfranchised.

The thing is, if you isolate the music to the lifestyle, it just does not sound authentic - there is no reality to it. True, you can make ANY song arranged to sound punk rock. Heck you can do that to the National Anthem and it will still fit (however, be prepared to be sued by the National Historical Institute).

Truth of the matter is, you cannot separate punk and its peripherals without looking or sounding ridiculous. You will be definitely branded as a poser. And no man worth his salt can stomache being called one.

Those who are covering those pop songs and making it sound punk is not punk at all. True, the punk bands of yesteryear are doing covers but they are covering songs that still talk about their life:

The Clash doing Police and Thieves, I Fought The Law, The Call Up all talk about the realities of their lives despite being covers.

The Sex Pistols doing I'm Not Your Stepping Stone, Don't Give Me No Lip Child, all the lyrics of those songs rang true to their ethos.

The Ramones doing Spiderman - precisely because they want to make a big farty joke. Not to be cute!

Why do a lot of us are defending old school things here like me? Because old school knows what it is all about and the new school missed it.

True sir.. yung 99% na sinasabi mo e punk as a way of life. Yung pinaka-extreme at pinaka-shining moment na panahon ng punk is yung oldschool days nila. But we should also accept the fact that nothing is permanent than change. Siguro yung mga punk ngayon ay result ng evolution ng punk noon in order to adopt sa mga pagbabago sa lipunan ngayon. Siguro iba na yung mga na-experience ng mga so-called punk ngayon sa mga punk dati which as a result formed the new concept of punk today... Because iba yung buhay dati sa buhay ngayon... So.. best way is to respect the so-called punk today and honor the punk of yesterday...  :-D :-D
facebook.com/123pikit

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
True sir.. yung 99% na sinasabi mo e punk as a way of life. Yung pinaka-extreme at pinaka-shining moment na panahon ng punk is yung oldschool days nila. But we should also accept the fact that nothing is permanent than change. Siguro yung mga punk ngayon ay result ng evolution ng punk noon in order to adopt sa mga pagbabago sa lipunan ngayon. Siguro iba na yung mga na-experience ng mga so-called punk ngayon sa mga punk dati which as a result formed the new concept of punk today... Because iba yung buhay dati sa buhay ngayon... So.. best way is to respect the so-called punk today and honor the punk of yesterday...  :-D :-D

It is true that change is the only thing constant in this world. But if the original intent of anything is changed drastically to the point of being the polar opposite of the original intent, then it simply negates it.

Fact of the matter is, it is very difficult to comprehend authentic punk bands to do pop tunes in order to be accepted by the mainstream. This is nothing short of being a sell-out - the complete antithesis of what punk is all about. And that is hard to accept!

I become of age during the time of punk in the '70s and '80s. And real punks are not after fame and fortune, they are there to make a statement - they need to because nobody is listening to them. To cover a pop tune is simply a no-no unless it is done in a mocking way (like Lords Of The New Church covering Like A Virgin - a version so repulsive to pop fans it will make them puke).

I don't think the punks of today have different problems than the punks of yesterday. They are still disenfranchised, no home to call their own, have to find menial jobs just to get the next meal. The REAL punks are still out there, making music that probably only their neighborhood will hear because NO MAINSTREAM LABEL WILL GET THEM.

Punk-pop is a misnomer. It in itself is a contradiction. So bands that do punk sounding pop records is - sorry to say - not real.

The true essence of punk did not evolve, in fact it even devolved! If you really want to find out REAL punk music, do not go to your record store. Real punk exist in the underground! They are still around if you know where to look.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
Besides if you ask the punks during the 70s about the so called punk of today in the eyes of the Establishment, they will be disheartened about it. Because as I said before, they do not understand what it is all about.

Go ahead, browse the internet and they will tell you that the punk that is being shoved to our throat by the Major Record Companies are not punk at all (i.e. Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Simple Plan).

If you ask these guys about REAL punk of today, they will tell you they are still underground. Labels like Dischord, Alternative Tentacles, Epitaph still make those music like they do in the old days.

These so called pop punk bands are being disowned by the old guard and does not give continuity to the cause. Just ask PapaDom.

Offline paeng

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »
It is true that change is the only thing constant in this world. But if the original intent of anything is changed drastically to the point of being the polar opposite of the original intent, then it simply negates it.

Fact of the matter is, it is very difficult to comprehend authentic punk bands to do pop tunes in order to be accepted by the mainstream. This is nothing short of being a sell-out - the complete antithesis of what punk is all about. And that is hard to accept!

I become of age during the time of punk in the '70s and '80s. And real punks are not after fame and fortune, they are there to make a statement - they need to because nobody is listening to them. To cover a pop tune is simply a no-no unless it is done in a mocking way (like Lords Of The New Church covering Like A Virgin - a version so repulsive to pop fans it will make them puke).

I don't think the punks of today have different problems than the punks of yesterday. They are still disenfranchised, no home to call their own, have to find menial jobs just to get the next meal. The REAL punks are still out there, making music that probably only their neighborhood will hear because NO MAINSTREAM LABEL WILL GET THEM.

Punk-pop is a misnomer. It in itself is a contradiction. So bands that do punk sounding pop records is - sorry to say - not real.

The true essence of punk did not evolve, in fact it even devolved! If you really want to find out REAL punk music, do not go to your record store. Real punk exist in the underground! They are still around if you know where to look.

True sir.. iba talaga ang pop punk (katulad ng mga inexamples mo) na inihain sa madla ng media... Alam ko rin sir na nag-eexist ang mga pure punk bands sa undeground even nga dito sa Pinas such as A.D.A., etc. (nakakasabay namen dati to sa mga gig nung mga parteng 2003 pataas..)

What bothers me is that parang ayos lang naman na magkaroon ng change kahit pa i-negate nito ang original intention... Kasi kung hindi ok ito.. Guilty tayong lahat in terms of knowledge which is the original intention is just to become the master of our reality pero ngayon tayo na ang nagsi-seek for knowledge.. Imbis na maging master tayo, tayo ang naghahanap ngayon sa mga information.. This is the total opposite of the orignal intent. Same sa evolution ng tao from animal to man (pre-historic to modern) which is ang original nature naten is to live instinctively pero ngayon we live rationally na... Kahit pa i-negate talaga ang original intent, wala e talagang nagbabago ang takbo ng buhay. Nagbabago ang interpretation ng tao sa mga bagay depende sa kanyang historical situation. Ika nga sa Zen Buddhism at Will to Power, ang nakakalungkot sa tao ay he/she unintentionally or intentionally inflict fixation sa reality because of his/her hunger for "belongingness" which turns man to view life from the perspective of his ego-consciousness. As a result, nakakalimutan ng tao i-view ang life as it is which is a process... life in a state of flux...

Main point ko lang is... I-appreciate and i-respect kung ano ang nangyayari ngayon sa eksena at bigyang pahalaga ang mga nagpasimula ng tugtugang ito.
facebook.com/123pikit

Offline page8six....

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
kasawa na lalo sa mga gigs tulad ng open jam ung mga bata na ngcocover F n F or feel na feel.. :x
“If you don’t know the blues, … there’s no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.”
– Keith Richards

Offline kim24aldrich

• Netizen Level
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »
nakakasawa na ganun din naman ang pinapalabas gusto lang maging sikat

Offline curapika0m1

• Netizen Level
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
Regarding sa covers eh medyo nauumay na ako, I admit nung mga umpisa pa lang ako sa music the bands I see as "punk"  ay yung mga tulad ng Newfound Glory, tuwang-tuwa ako sa mga nagco-cover ng pop songs pero syempre dahil mas lumalawak ang kaalaman at taste ko sa music eh na-realize ko na hindi matatawag na "punk" yung song unless, gaya nung mga earlier comments, meant to diss the establishment, medyo nanaawa na ako...yung iba kasi eh hindi naman talaga "punk" na banda eh ang ginagawa lang nila pinapabilis yung tempo nung kanta ta's pambakla yung vocals (sorry for the term). Pero regarding sa existence ng "Pop Punk" eh ang paniniwala ako diyan ay it does exist. Labels lang naman kase lahat ng yan eh, at para sakin ang mga labels eh napaka problematic dahil kahit ano gawin natin eh magkakaiba-iba tayo ng perception about what should be "punk". Tska gaya nga ng sabi kanina change is the only thing permanent, nagba-branch-out talaga ang mga types ng music from other music eh continues talaga yun...ahaha though opinion ko lang naman ito ahahaha I respect naman other comments and views eheh feel free to comment lang.. :evil:
I don't wanna grow up

Offline nyeks550

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 06:57:11 PM »
yung album ni travis barker... yung ilan dun maganda pagkacover
me against the world yata
husay magdrums!

Offline astralasukal

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 01:49:54 AM »
Madalas kasi ipa-power chords lang nila tapos sigawan tapos tapos na. Wala na silang masasabing "personal touch" dun sa kanta na kino-cover nila. Unlike the above-mentioned Ramones cover ng Spiderman madi-distinguish mo talaga siya as a song covered in Ramones style.  :-D
FLY AWAY! SKYLINE PENGUIN, FLY!

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
Madalas kasi ipa-power chords lang nila tapos sigawan tapos tapos na. Wala na silang masasabing "personal touch" dun sa kanta na kino-cover nila. Unlike the above-mentioned Ramones cover ng Spiderman madi-distinguish mo talaga siya as a song covered in Ramones style.  :-D

i believe it was because of joey ramone's voice kung bakit madidistinguish mo yung version nila...

Offline 4stringed beast

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 03:04:43 AM »
naiirita na ko sa mga ganun lalo na ang mga covers ng new found glory parang nasisisra saken ung song

Offline page8six....

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
some punks ay talagang nakaka irita pero what can you say about blink182 they are pop punk dn pero ang ganda ng mga tugtugan nila at di naman tlga nakakasawa ung mga kanta nila

man Punk COVERS.
“If you don’t know the blues, … there’s no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.”
– Keith Richards

Offline svas

• Netizen Level
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
Sa dinig ko naman, may binabagayan lang na mga kanta kapag ginagawang punk. Pero oo, nakakaumay rin. E baka nga 'yung mga punk bands sa tabi-tabi, pina-punk na rin ang "mga tambay lang kami, sawa sa babae."
  :roll:

Offline mahikawon666

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 07:55:25 AM »
nakakasawa na din yun iba kasi nagcocover para mapansin o makilala yun banda,mas ok kung gawa at areglo at dun makilala

Offline mahikawon666

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 07:58:36 AM »

i agree and dont forget to add the principles and ideology sir..dahil nawawala na eto puro pa cool effect at trend nlang

Offline benicio

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
depende sa nag cover. pero kakaasar pa rin kung tipong ang kakanta ay spongecola or etc..

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
depende sa kanta. gusto ko yung Boys of Summer ng The Ataris. yung new found glory covers ayos lang pero hindi ko masyadong trip. hindi naman kasi lahat ng punk covers pangit so sa OO ako. in regards to the DIY punk ethos and the punk attitude eh ibang usapan na siguro yan, sa ibang thread na dapat siguro yan or maybe change the title to: dapat bang gumawa ng cover ang mga punk bands? pero thinking about it, they have every right to do it diba? asking them to stop doing covers would be equal to doing censorship. kung ayaw mo makinig sa cover version eh di ilipat mo na lang or alisin mo na sa computer mo. ganun lang.

Offline ochoto

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »
nakakasawa na din yun iba kasi nagcocover para mapansin o makilala yun banda,mas ok kung gawa at areglo at dun makilala
yep. ung iba nga nakakasawa na. though not all. pero most of em
May God be all the GLORY.

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »
the best punk covers are the ones by me first and the gimme gimmes, who can pull it off because they're a concept band, not some pop-punk band covering songs just to jump on a trend or be "cool", and the ramones, as well as some of the other original punk bands' covers.  that said, i don't mind punk covers as much as the others in here...i agree na depende talaga sa nagcocover.

regarding the clash's cover of "i fought the law" by the bobby fuller four, mas trip ko pa rin yung version ng dead kennedys kasi pinalitan talaga nila yung lyrics...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
the best punk covers are the ones by me first and the gimme gimmes, who can pull it off because they're a concept band, not some pop-punk band covering songs just to jump on a trend or be "cool", and the ramones, as well as some of the other original punk bands' covers.  that said, i don't mind punk covers as much as the others in here...i agree na depende talaga sa nagcocover.

regarding the clash's cover of "i fought the law" by the bobby fuller four, mas trip ko pa rin yung version ng dead kennedys kasi pinalitan talaga nila yung lyrics...

The original artist of I Fought The Law is not The Bobby Fuller Four although that was the version that became a big hit. The original is by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets - yes Buddy Holly's band after his demise. In fact, the Bobby Fuller Four version that everyone knows is a remake! A year earlier, they recorded that song in their own label with a different arrangement.

Offline opmpassion

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
Depende rin sa artists na magcocover. Pero mas gusto ko e metal covers, =).

Offline radioluck

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
ayaw. basura eh. haha. New Found Glory nga ayoko eh.  :roll:

Offline rockarolla

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »
sell out stunt. trying to adopt the attitude as a mask  :-D very lame
Some musicians may become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.

Offline weeeeeenesus

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »
i was in a punk rock band before
we are covering love songs making it our own pero di kami dumating sa time na parang lahat ng kanta ay iisa lang progression (kas kas sa verse may drum solo mabilis na tempo sa chorus etc)

sa totoo lang mas naiirita aq sa mga rnb and hiphop songs na nirerevive ginagawang "punk"

ung iba ata di talaga alam ang totoong definition ng punk eh lol