hulika

Author Topic: PAISTE cymbals thread  (Read 82684 times)

Offline CDodrummer

Re: PAISTE cymbals thread
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
There is no Twenty series sound edge hihat but in signature series, there is.  If you go to the US, you can check out www.massmusic.net.  They have Paistes which are priced competitively.  I ordered my drum gear from them.  Actually Paistes are cheaper these days compared to Zildjian and Sabian in the US.

oh is that so i thought i saw ripples on the hats i tried out. anyway how much does taxes cost on massmusic? ilang percent ba sa price?
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together

Offline wipeout

« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »
massmusic is located in Arizona.  Don't know about the taxes.  I think its approx 8% if you're a resident of Arizona.  I may be wrong.  If you are ordering from the US but outside Arizona, no taxes, shipping charge lang idadagdag which is approx $15 for regular size items.

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #252 on: November 18, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »
sir wipe anu bang tunog ng paiste RUDE and ALPHA? san pedeng icompare thanks

Offline wipeout

« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2008, 12:37:51 AM »
Rudes are designed for heavy rock or punk music.  They have a strong attack and cutting sound.  They could be comparable to Z customs in terms of design, i.e. unlathe surface.  Although I think Z customs are now lathe or it may vary depending on the model.  ALpha's are midrange series.  They sound decent and offer good value for the money.  I think its comparable to B8 pro by Sabian.

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2008, 12:52:26 AM »
Rudes are designed for heavy rock or punk music.  They have a strong attack and cutting sound.  They could be comparable to Z customs in terms of design, i.e. unlathe surface.  Although I think Z customs are now lathe or it may vary depending on the model.  ALpha's are midrange series.  They sound decent and offer good value for the money.  I think its comparable to B8 pro by Sabian.

maraming salamat sir wipe sa answer  :-D
so you mean alpha is sheet cymbals? pag kaka alam ko po kc B8 and B8pro is sheet sir....

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »
I think Alphas are cast. The drummer of Deicide uses them
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
sa pagkaintindi ko, b8 is not an alloy that is cast from individual ingots.

anyway misconception lang naman na cast bronze (b20) is superior to sheet bronze (kadalasan b8). propaganda lang ng zildjian yun. ang determining factor talaga eh yung amount/type of hammering, lathing, yung design ng profile/taper, etc. actually advantage pa nga ang pagiging sheet e, mas consistent yung metal at less susceptible to defects.

kahit anong klaseng bronze eh kayang pagandahin ang tunog pag dinaan sa mga tamang proseso. kaya lang na-identify with budget cymbals ang b8 alloy kasi mas cost effective ang pag produce ng sheet bronze kesa sa cast bronze. dahil mas mababa na yung basic cost, tinuloy na ng zildjian/sabian ang pagbawas sa cost (skimping on quality hammering / lathing etc) at ginawang budget lines ang mga b8 cymbals nila. syempre may added bonus pa na mas mukhang "high end" yung mga b20 nila pag ginawa nilang "low end" ang image ng b8 alloy.

wag kayo maniwala sa "cast is better than sheet" na yan. ang una mong dapat isipin sa cymbal eh ang tunog nito, hindi kung gawa saan ito. maraming mga HIGH end cymbals na gawa sa b8 (2002, rude, giant beat) kaya di mo masasabi na inferior alloy ito.

Offline shotsofredmist

« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »
maganda paiste!
facebook.com/jc.gellidon
twitter.com/jcboiche
 FOR SALE:   G35 Infiniti Coupe (Message me if interested) Mercedes Benz e class w211 "SOLD"

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #258 on: November 20, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

anyway misconception lang naman na cast bronze (b20) is superior to sheet bronze (kadalasan b8). propaganda lang ng zildjian yun. ang determining factor talaga eh yung amount/type of hammering, lathing, yung design ng profile/taper, etc. actually advantage pa nga ang pagiging sheet e, mas consistent yung metal at less susceptible to defects.

kahit anong klaseng bronze eh kayang pagandahin ang tunog pag dinaan sa mga tamang proseso. kaya lang na-identify with budget cymbals ang b8 alloy kasi mas cost effective ang pag produce ng sheet bronze kesa sa cast bronze. dahil mas mababa na yung basic cost, tinuloy na ng zildjian/sabian ang pagbawas sa cost (skimping on quality hammering / lathing etc) at ginawang budget lines ang mga b8 cymbals nila. syempre may added bonus pa na mas mukhang "high end" yung mga b20 nila pag ginawa nilang "low end" ang image ng b8 alloy.

wag kayo maniwala sa "cast is better than sheet" na yan. ang una mong dapat isipin sa cymbal eh ang tunog nito, hindi kung gawa saan ito. maraming mga HIGH end cymbals na gawa sa b8 (2002, rude, giant beat) kaya di mo masasabi na inferior alloy ito.

PLEP maraming salamat dude!!!  :-D  :-) akoy naliwanagan na...

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #259 on: November 20, 2008, 04:38:39 PM »
Paiste rhymes with Fiesty ;)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #260 on: November 20, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
Thank you Sir wipeout... hindi pala bronze ang 201, hehe, 16K lang kasi e tapos 4 piece box set pa... many thanks po sa reply... keep on drumming...

bro, just a small correction. paiste 201 is bronze. B8 bronze to be exact. it is a cymbal set for starter drummers. paiste 101 is the set that is made out of brass. same goes for PST5 and PST3. but i think PST5 sounds better than 201's don't you think guys
"?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #261 on: November 20, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
 :-D hmmm you have a point....bro

Offline ren0wn15

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #262 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »
From drumshed.com

"I thought it would be easier to start a new thread to expand on some thoughts that stem from the Paiste Sig thread...

Now my cymbal knowledge starts around the late 70's. I really don't know about any earlier, vintage stuff, so. Back then, there were really only 2 pro quality lines of cymbals...Zildjian & Paiste. Sabian didn't kick in til about '82 and Ufip's really weren't to be had here in the States. With Zildjian, you had to hit 10 A 18" Medium crashes to find one you liked. That was their selling point, the supposed uniqueness of their cymbals being all slightly (or not) different. Paiste, you tried a 2002 18" crash and then another and another and they would sound all basically the same. That was their selling point. This personally appealed to me more. The consistancy. I also preferred the sound. I knew nothing of the difference in alloys used back then. I just liked what I heard.

Now, I think the reason that most like or are "trained on" the B20 sound is most of us are accustomed to that sound through Zildjian and then later Sabian. Zildjian moved a lot of cymbals and there were a lot more of them in the States than Paiste's. Plus, Paiste was definitly going their own direction, which made sense. Why be like Z, your competition?

Now with B8, it is made & marketed by the Z & S companies as a "budget" line for good reason. They could easily make a pro level B8 cymbal & Zildjian just about did that in the 80's with the Amir line. If Z & S were to make a pro B8 line, it would take the significance away from their "superior" B20 lines & B20 being the significant alloy with B8 being less so. B8 "can" also be made more cheaply compared to B20. Also keep in mind they are in competition with Paiste. What does Paiste use...B8 (along with their propietary Sig alloy B15). Obviously, Paiste has proved that B8 can be used for pro level cymbals starting with the Giant Beats to the 2002's which a lot of people have referred to as "the" rock cymbal sound for their cut, clarity & brightness. So, B20 was "marketed" as the superior alloy compared to inferior B8 and other alloys.

Now, it was mentioned that Zildjian claims to have not changed their cymbal making process. In effect, they have changed. It also seems that a lot of their current cymbals (especially the A's, A Custom's & Z's) have gotten thicker. This has happened with the company going after the younger players into rock & punk. Just look at their marketing strategies. Z has also changed in that they are the mighty Zildjian and they are the top selling cymbal so why change? They are about moving more product & staying on top rather than expanding, improving their cymbal lines. At least, that's how I see it. Plus, they move a ton of the ZBT crap to the kids that want to be like Travis & Adrian. Sitting on their laurels perhaps?

Meanwhile, you have Paiste developing their own propietary alloy and expanding that into the wonderful Traditional & Dark energy lines. This company truely pushes the envelope more than the others I think. Sabian making great B20 cymbals that are what Zildjians wish they were along with excellent customer service and the Vault Tour. Then you have Ufip getting more market share with their unique rotocasting methods along with Meinl who is like Paiste with all these different lines with different sounds & alloys. Further, you have all the Turkish boutique companies (Agop, Bosphorus, etc.) that are just kicking ass with what could be seen as the same as the custom drum & snare market for cymbals. They are doing very innovative stuff with B20 with all the different hammering & lathing used. Zildjian better take a look over their shoulder! Me, I just don't care for anything they have to offer. I am so underwhelmed with their pies when I go into a shop & bang on some.

Then there is Sam Ass and the possibility of not carrying Paiste's anymore. You won't find a lot of Paiste's in GC either save for the occasional special deals. SA & GC are huge, publicly heald corporations that have to answer to shareholders. So, they are all about moving volume & making lots of money, which is why they sell a crapload of ZBT's and budget kits to the kids. "Hey, play brand x & be just like (insert high profile endorsee name)." It sure as hell ain't about quality or customer service for that matter. It's the equivalent to going to a grocery store full of instruments. If Paiste would do a serious push on ther Alpha's or even the PST5's they would put a serious hurt on the ZBT & Sabian B8 market as these sound a whole lot better for the price. Ok, I've babbled long enough!"

"I play just what I feel.."

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2008, 09:14:32 PM »
anyone know where to buy some Paiste 2002's in Cebu? I might visit Cebu for Christmas vacation

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »
anyone know where to buy some Paiste 2002's in Cebu? I might visit Cebu for Christmas vacation
bro kung may branch ng audiophile dun mas ok :-)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »
From drumshed.com

"I thought it would be easier to start a new thread to expand on some thoughts that stem from the Paiste Sig thread...

Now my cymbal knowledge starts around the late 70's. I really don't know about any earlier, vintage stuff, so. Back then, there were really only 2 pro quality lines of cymbals...Zildjian & Paiste. Sabian didn't kick in til about '82 and Ufip's really weren't to be had here in the States. With Zildjian, you had to hit 10 A 18" Medium crashes to find one you liked. That was their selling point, the supposed uniqueness of their cymbals being all slightly (or not) different. Paiste, you tried a 2002 18" crash and then another and another and they would sound all basically the same. That was their selling point. This personally appealed to me more. The consistancy. I also preferred the sound. I knew nothing of the difference in alloys used back then. I just liked what I heard.

Now, I think the reason that most like or are "trained on" the B20 sound is most of us are accustomed to that sound through Zildjian and then later Sabian. Zildjian moved a lot of cymbals and there were a lot more of them in the States than Paiste's. Plus, Paiste was definitly going their own direction, which made sense. Why be like Z, your competition?

Now with B8, it is made & marketed by the Z & S companies as a "budget" line for good reason. They could easily make a pro level B8 cymbal & Zildjian just about did that in the 80's with the Amir line. If Z & S were to make a pro B8 line, it would take the significance away from their "superior" B20 lines & B20 being the significant alloy with B8 being less so. B8 "can" also be made more cheaply compared to B20. Also keep in mind they are in competition with Paiste. What does Paiste use...B8 (along with their propietary Sig alloy B15). Obviously, Paiste has proved that B8 can be used for pro level cymbals starting with the Giant Beats to the 2002's which a lot of people have referred to as "the" rock cymbal sound for their cut, clarity & brightness. So, B20 was "marketed" as the superior alloy compared to inferior B8 and other alloys.

Now, it was mentioned that Zildjian claims to have not changed their cymbal making process. In effect, they have changed. It also seems that a lot of their current cymbals (especially the A's, A Custom's & Z's) have gotten thicker. This has happened with the company going after the younger players into rock & punk. Just look at their marketing strategies. Z has also changed in that they are the mighty Zildjian and they are the top selling cymbal so why change? They are about moving more product & staying on top rather than expanding, improving their cymbal lines. At least, that's how I see it. Plus, they move a ton of the ZBT crap to the kids that want to be like Travis & Adrian. Sitting on their laurels perhaps?

Meanwhile, you have Paiste developing their own propietary alloy and expanding that into the wonderful Traditional & Dark energy lines. This company truely pushes the envelope more than the others I think. Sabian making great B20 cymbals that are what Zildjians wish they were along with excellent customer service and the Vault Tour. Then you have Ufip getting more market share with their unique rotocasting methods along with Meinl who is like Paiste with all these different lines with different sounds & alloys. Further, you have all the Turkish boutique companies (Agop, Bosphorus, etc.) that are just kicking ass with what could be seen as the same as the custom drum & snare market for cymbals. They are doing very innovative stuff with B20 with all the different hammering & lathing used. Zildjian better take a look over their shoulder! Me, I just don't care for anything they have to offer. I am so underwhelmed with their pies when I go into a shop & bang on some.

Then there is Sam Ass and the possibility of not carrying Paiste's anymore. You won't find a lot of Paiste's in GC either save for the occasional special deals. SA & GC are huge, publicly heald corporations that have to answer to shareholders. So, they are all about moving volume & making lots of money, which is why they sell a crapload of ZBT's and budget kits to the kids. "Hey, play brand x & be just like (insert high profile endorsee name)." It sure as hell ain't about quality or customer service for that matter. It's the equivalent to going to a grocery store full of instruments. If Paiste would do a serious push on ther Alpha's or even the PST5's they would put a serious hurt on the ZBT & Sabian B8 market as these sound a whole lot better for the price. Ok, I've babbled long enough!"

hmm. . .

but sabian already ahas a semipro B8 model right? SABIAN APX's! a nice loud and tremendously cutting cymbal :) created using B8 bronze alloy :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »
hmm. . .

but sabian already ahas a semipro B8 model right? SABIAN APX's! a nice loud and tremendously cutting cymbal :) created using B8 bronze alloy :D

yep, kaso minamarket nila as a breakthrough in cymbal production... when paiste has been doing it for decades.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
yep, kaso minamarket nila as a breakthrough in cymbal production... when paiste has been doing it for decades.

maybe kasi SABIAN has its eyes only on one fierce competitor as their "sole" competitor", ZILDJIAN, na hindi pa gumagawa ng high end na B8 models? well, as far as I know. meron na din ba ang Zildjian?

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
sa mag fans ni joey jordison...may ilalabas ng black alpha series ang paiste for joey...astig to  :evil:

Offline applebottomjeans

« Reply #269 on: December 12, 2008, 07:33:39 AM »
tanong lang, alam nyo ba yung Paiste 302 (discontinued), ano ang equivalent nun sa zildjian in terms of sound quality?
hindi ko macontain...

Offline atong_damuho

« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
maganda po ba ang PST5?? plano ko kasing ayun ang bilhin na cymbals para sa kit na bibilhin ko. 

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »
ok yung pst5. I have a PST5 china and its really nice.

Offline Schizophrenia

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »

I definitely agree with you plep.
Yung tunog parin ang pinakaimportante.
Dagdag ko lang, generally, mas bright ang tunog ng b8 than b20. Pag darker sound ang hanap mo go for b20.
Generally speaking, mas matigas ang B20 sa B8 pero mas brittle ito - pwedeng mas madaling magcrack pag inabuso. B8 is more workable/flexible than B20... kaya pwedeng gawing sheet, di siya kasing brittle ng B20 due to lower amount of tin.
Yung signature alloy naman ng paiste, B15 phosphor bronze, sa pagkakaintindi ko mas matigas na siya sa B8 lalo nadagdagan ng konting phosphorous which make it more durable at mas tight and consistent ang alloy molecules nito. Comparing yung sound sa B20, generally, mas bright pa rin si Signature alloy... assuming same model - hammering, lathing, thickness, profile, etc...

Bottom line, hindi lang yung klase ng alloy na ginamit ang nagdedetermine ng sound ng cymbals (comparing all the cymbal bronzes). Malaking bagay sa tunog ng cymbals ang hammering, lathing, profile at syempre paggamit/pagpalo  :-D

Offline ren0wn15

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »

I definitely agree with you plep.
Yung tunog parin ang pinakaimportante.
Dagdag ko lang, generally, mas bright ang tunog ng b8 than b20. Pag darker sound ang hanap mo go for b20.
Generally speaking, mas matigas ang B20 sa B8 pero mas brittle ito - pwedeng mas madaling magcrack pag inabuso. B8 is more workable/flexible than B20... kaya pwedeng gawing sheet, di siya kasing brittle ng B20 due to lower amount of tin.
Yung signature alloy naman ng paiste, B15 phosphor bronze, sa pagkakaintindi ko mas matigas na siya sa B8 lalo nadagdagan ng konting phosphorous which make it more durable at mas tight and consistent ang alloy molecules nito. Comparing yung sound sa B20, generally, mas bright pa rin si Signature alloy... assuming same model - hammering, lathing, thickness, profile, etc...

Bottom line, hindi lang yung klase ng alloy na ginamit ang nagdedetermine ng sound ng cymbals (comparing all the cymbal bronzes). Malaking bagay sa tunog ng cymbals ang hammering, lathing, profile at syempre paggamit/pagpalo  :-D

Also don't forget, cymbal sound may vary from sticks. Different sticks produce different cymbal sounds.  :wink:
"I play just what I feel.."

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
bumping thread with pics :-D

i think i need to upgrade my splash and china  :|