hulika

Author Topic: What Happened to that Guitarist Kid on Pilipinas Got Talent?  (Read 24774 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What Happened to that Guitarist Kid on Pilipinas Got Talent?
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
i agree on the crappy sounding thing, but maybe not the guitar itself, maybe its the multifx, and sa pagtitimpla niya. i remember when i did the multifx thing with very high gain, and it sounded good to me, and TO ME ONLY, and I WAS LEFT OUT IN A BAND SETTING! maybe thats what happened to him. maybe in a few years time he would understand more about it. he's just a kid.

maybe the masa cannot appreciate guitar music not because of the low quality of guitars/gears but maybe lack of exposure of guitar instrumental music here in the philippines. kumbaga, tayo tayong mga gitarista lang ang nakaka appreciate ng gaito, at nakakaintindi ng ganito. you are right, vocals always win against instruments here in the Phils. my sentiment is i feel that the study of music and instruments are not given much importance here.

good thing jovit has technical pipes. he would evolve and continue to evolve and eventually have the soul that you are saying. he's also a kid.

Well its like having a 27 fret guitar instead of a 22 fret guitar... technically superior pipes but nowhere to go.  Unfortunately, the higher pipes don't make for a popular experience with the masses for the simple reason that a majority of people cannot hum and sing that high.  So, its a really a showpiece type of talent that has no where to go.  Come to think of it, most of the songs that I like don't even have vocalists singing that high.  Nor do the melodic guitar solos stay at fret 22 and beyond. 

In terms of guitar music appreciation, the 50s, 60s and 70s music which are guitar dominated eras have passed and yet there is still a strong following for guitar appreciation in the U.S. and Europe.  Look at Mama Sox of American Idol.  Except for a small bunch of 60s people here being led by RJ and his close group of friends, Sam Milby is our only hope in this generation. LOL.  Saan na nga ba ang PRS niya?   

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
Well its like having a 27 fret guitar instead of a 22 fret guitar... technically superior pipes but nowhere to go.  Unfortunately, the higher pipes don't make for a popular experience with the masses for the simple reason that a majority of people cannot hum and sing that high.  So, its a really a showpiece type of talent that has no where to go.  Come to think of it, most of the songs that I like don't even have vocalists singing that high.  Nor do the melodic guitar solos stay at fret 22 and beyond. 

In terms of guitar music appreciation, the 50s, 60s and 70s music which are guitar dominated eras have passed and yet there is still a strong following for guitar appreciation in the U.S. and Europe.  Look at Mama Sox of American Idol.  Except for a small bunch of 60s people here being led by RJ and his close group of friends, Sam Milby is our only hope in this generation. LOL.  Saan na nga ba ang PRS niya?   

hey its not his fault to have those kind of pipes. and its rare for filipino guys to have that. when he understands na, he will evolve, i think. or he *should* evolve.

and yeah i dont like that much kind of singing today, except for the band Journey. i love their songs, and i like neal schon, i like his style. i dont know why.

LOL as sam milby. "Ownlllehh hyUuuu"
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
Sam Milby... sigh.  :roll: He certainly is good looking.

But he can't act, he can't play, he can't sing...
he's finding it hard
to do anything

<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
LOL as sam milby. "Ownlllehh hyUuuu"

Saan na nga ba ang PRS niya?   

ayan oh, nabili ko sa ukay-ukay... wanpayb lang. :-D

Offline kurtseth

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »
wow from pgt guitarist kid appreciation to sam milby bashing :D

cooooooll :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-D :-D :-D :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
Sam Milby-lyena. Senyor na bandleader sa Singing Bee.

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Sam Milby-lyena. Senyor na bandleader sa Singing Bee.

Galing mag Baritone Sax nyang si Mel.  8-)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
Saan na nga ba ang PRS niya?   

kainis.. hot guitar.. haha..what's he doing? may gitarang hawak pero kumakain?.. and wtf is that?? are those some reading or guitar chord chart? lol.. studying guitar basics on a USA PRS? damn. that's got to be something. scary.  :lol:

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
kainis.. hot guitar.. haha..what's he doing? may gitarang hawak pero kumakain?.. and wtf is that?? are those some reading or guitar chord chart? lol.. studying guitar basics on a USA PRS? damn. that's got to be something. scary.  :lol:

i don't see any notes ( or tabs )...
me thinks it's a script fm. one of his tele serye :-D  :lol:  :lol:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2010, 12:51:02 PM »
i don't see any notes ( or tabs )...
me thinks it's a script fm. one of his tele serye :-D  :lol:  :lol:

but still.. why the guitar? or lyrics to a song perhaps?

anyway.. OT na tayo sir jimi.. haha.. i don't like sam.. but me likey his guitar very much..  :lol:

Offline kopiako

« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
on keith's performance, i felt nothing...

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
but still.. why the guitar? or lyrics to a song perhaps?

anyway.. OT na tayo sir jimi.. haha.. i don't like sam.. but me likey his guitar very much..  :lol:

but me likey his guitar very much..

Lurv that Blue Flamed Maple Top  8-)

& w/ those P90s... that's a KILLER Tone!  :evil:

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2010, 12:57:42 PM »
on keith's performance, i felt nothing...

I felt something w/ the belly dancers of Metamorphosis...  :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
Unfortunately, nothing will ever happen to him.  Jovit beat him by a landslide which for me says:

1) The great majority of people in this country are into melodic lines and songs which they can hum to even though they are rip offs of journey and others and Filipinos seem to forget who the original composer is
2) Vocals beat guitar tone most of the time because most people are tuned to how the midrange on human vocals are pleasing to the ear versus crappy sounding guitar
3) Kris and Ai Ai were right... at least when representing the pulse of the masses and undeserving of the biased bashing of guitarists on this thread 
4) The masa cannot appreciate guitar music and I don't blame them because of the low standard of guitar equipment in this country
5) The masa cannot appreciate soul  -- Jovit is NO Arnel because his renditions of the songs lacked soul despite Arnel's praises for Jovit's voice quality
6) The Pilipinas Got Talent just shows how much lacking in talent Filipinos are because the show was just plain boring -- quite everything was a rehash of everything else done by foreigners done with less talent for example, Jovit did not get me to sing with him because no matter how many times he tried he didn't have the soul of Steve and Arnel
7) Compared to Mama Sox who could stir your soul with her renditions even if it was the first time I heard the remake -- hindi over acting, Jovit is nothing but technical pipes
8) Hodge Podge talent shows seek to devalue the individual talents because: a) we do not know if the contestant is truly the best representation of his/her talent, b) its hard to compare one talent against another, c) singers always win in the Philippines specially when they can prove to scream a high note -- its applicable to all ages and the younger the better, d) voters are influenced by media e.g. not all contestants were given the same media exposure as Jovit
9)  The Guitar community is a small influence on Philippine society -- this is a country of vocalists and actors, a great majority of our country men lack the discipline to learn an instrument unlike the more advanced countries.  Even Rico Blanco is now an ABS-CBN star.
10) Music is so debased in this country that it is pirated and played on cheap game shows for ratings -- thereby killing muscial creativity unlike in the USA where songs are protected and shows are asked to pay expensive royalty fees for using a song

I think Jovit won mostly based on his back-story (poor, humble kid with God-given talent and raw potential who just wants to help his family), not solely on his singing skills. 

On a personal note, I'm happy for Jovit and he did make me want to sing along to Carrie -- cuz I love power ballads... and poor kids who make it big.  Hehe.

william251082

« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
Pag -singer basta maka high note lang magaling na ang tingin, pag guitarist naman, basta maka pag mabilis na exhibition lang magaling na rin ang tingin. :-(

How about appreciation for musicality? :roll:

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Pag -singer basta maka high note lang magaling na ang tingin, pag guitarist naman, basta maka pag mabilis na exhibition lang magaling na rin ang tingin. :-(

How about appreciation for musicality? :roll:

Sadly, our masa will commit NOT to learn those things. Don't make them think. Kaya patok na patok si Willie Revillame sa kanila. While he insults the intelligence of a lot of people, most of them don't give a heck!

Ilang pulitiko na sa atin ang napatunayang gumawa ng katarantaduhan habang nakaupo? Pero binoboto pa rin ng tao. I'd like to quote someone on TV whose leader of his religious cult was arrested for multiple crimes (he is also the mayor of his town), "Kahit napatunayan sa korte na nagkasala siya, hindi pa rin kami maniniwala. Kahit totoo ang ebidensiya laban sa kaniya, hindi pa rin kami maniniwala. Para sa amin kapantay niya ang Diyos ama sa kabanalan."

What does this have to do with Keith Delleva and the Filipino talent in general? Our of age people will have very very difficult time understanding what guitar music (or any well thought of music) is dahil ayaw na nga mag-isip ng tao. Finding a way to feed their family is enough to make their brains ache! Dito na lang sa bahay, when I play jazz and instrumental rock, mga kasama ko sa bahay na ooffend kasi raw ako lang daw nakakaintindi ng pinatutugtog ko. But when Manny Pacquiao or Willie Revillame or Bayani Agbayani is heard on the radio, the masses sing to their hearts content.

For me Keith Delleva is a flickering hope that the kids are still teachable and more open to better things. It is for this cause that I became a schoolteacher. In my music class, I open my students to all music as much as my ability can muster. I tell them that good music is there, just find it. Do not be dictated by what the media tells you to listen to. The media is not after your well being, they are after your wallet!

Isa pa sa mga singers. I would like to pay particular attention to this family in the Visayas (nakalimutan ko ang apelyido). No doubt they can sing pero what are they trying to "sell" in order to get the judges and texters' attention? That's right - how can they hit the ceilings of Araneta Coliseum through their voices! Have you ever noticed how overkill their singing was? Vibrato in all the wrong places and THOSE SCREAMS!!! Paano naman ang mga katulad natin na ang boses parang baka? Hindi na kami puwedeng maging effective song interpreters kasi malaki boses namin?

Parang sa mga guitarist din yan. Some don't give a heck if you can play a very heartfelt melody. Ang labanan is if you can play 3,000,000 notes in 1 millisecond or if you can sustain that 75th fret note!

But then again as I said there is still hope. Yung nga bata na nag-aaral pa, we can still mentor them on the finer things in music. I know, my students are a living proof! I have a student who is into Coltrane as much as into Paramore and Lady Gaga!
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

william251082

« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »
+999999999999999 kay pareng burnsbhm!!!

Offline paeng

• Veteran Member
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
Sadly, our masa will commit NOT to learn those things. Don't make them think. Kaya patok na patok si Willie Revillame sa kanila. While he insults the intelligence of a lot of people, most of them don't give a heck!

Ilang pulitiko na sa atin ang napatunayang gumawa ng katarantaduhan habang nakaupo? Pero binoboto pa rin ng tao. I'd like to quote someone on TV whose leader of his religious cult was arrested for multiple crimes (he is also the mayor of his town), "Kahit napatunayan sa korte na nagkasala siya, hindi pa rin kami maniniwala. Kahit totoo ang ebidensiya laban sa kaniya, hindi pa rin kami maniniwala. Para sa amin kapantay niya ang Diyos ama sa kabanalan."

What does this have to do with Keith Delleva and the Filipino talent in general? Our of age people will have very very difficult time understanding what guitar music (or any well thought of music) is dahil ayaw na nga mag-isip ng tao. Finding a way to feed their family is enough to make their brains ache! Dito na lang sa bahay, when I play jazz and instrumental rock, mga kasama ko sa bahay na ooffend kasi raw ako lang daw nakakaintindi ng pinatutugtog ko. But when Manny Pacquiao or Willie Revillame or Bayani Agbayani is heard on the radio, the masses sing to their hearts content.

For me Keith Delleva is a flickering hope that the kids are still teachable and more open to better things. It is for this cause that I became a schoolteacher. In my music class, I open my students to all music as much as my ability can muster. I tell them that good music is there, just find it. Do not be dictated by what the media tells you to listen to. The media is not after your well being, they are after your wallet!

Isa pa sa mga singers. I would like to pay particular attention to this family in the Visayas (nakalimutan ko ang apelyido). No doubt they can sing pero what are they trying to "sell" in order to get the judges and texters' attention? That's right - how can they hit the ceilings of Araneta Coliseum through their voices! Have you ever noticed how overkill their singing was? Vibrato in all the wrong places and THOSE SCREAMS!!! Paano naman ang mga katulad natin na ang boses parang baka? Hindi na kami puwedeng maging effective song interpreters kasi malaki boses namin?

Parang sa mga guitarist din yan. Some don't give a heck if you can play a very heartfelt melody. Ang labanan is if you can play 3,000,000 notes in 1 millisecond or if you can sustain that 75th fret note!

But then again as I said there is still hope. Yung nga bata na nag-aaral pa, we can still mentor them on the finer things in music. I know, my students are a living proof! I have a student who is into Coltrane as much as into Paramore and Lady Gaga!

Couldn't agree more... ALL IN!
facebook.com/123pikit

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
It gets better: have you ever thought why have very very very very few outstanding talents that gets international attention? Now before you start sending hate mails to me but it has to be said MARAMING TALENTADONG PINOY. There’s no doubt about that. Ok, we have Charice Pempengco, Arnel Pineda, Lea Salonga, Allan Pineda no doubt outstanding talents. PERO TO GET THAT INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION, A FOREIGNER HAS TO FIND THEM!

Charice Pempengco has to be championed by Oprah, Ellen DeGeneres and David Foster - don't even think ABS CBN did all the dirty work to get where she is! In fact, ABS CBN is not helping Charice's career blossom because they are too busy with Sarah Geronimo and Sheryn Regis. Remember the Born Diva champion Raky Bega? Asan siya ngayon? And when Charice got that international break, ABS CBN kept waving the flag claming that it was they who promoted her to get that attention!

Arnel Pineda: 4 years ago, ang nakakakilala lang sa kaniya ay mga kapwa working musicians like me and my colleagues. Biyahero, papwesto pwesto sa Shakey's and others. Even the so called Pinoy Rock cornerstones like Eraserheads, Parokya ni Edgar, Wolfgang and other have not heard of him that well. But we knew since the mid 80s that Arnel has what it takes to be as good as Steve Perry and Klaus Meine! Pero, if Neal Schon never saw that Youtube video, you think our media will do what it takes to get him an audition with Journey?

Allan Pineda: Although he has been in the States even before he started Black Eyed Peas, he has to go through all the pains to get to where he is now. In short - HE PAID HIS DUES! And yet when media discovered that Apl DeAp is a Pinoy, they stalked the guy as if they were responsible for his popularity!

Lea Salonga: Ok she is an elitist and was never a pang masa kind of entertainer. BUT WHO PROPELLED HER TO INTERNATIONAL STARDOM? Hindi ba the Miss Saigon broadway show? An international enterprise? Did OctoArts lifted a finger? NO. She did it on her own.

What is all this? The Philippines, as a people and nation do not know who they really are. We cannot define in definite terms what is a Filipino! At least the Americans are open to admit they are a melting pot of cultures so you cannot really define an American except a group of people pledging their allegiance to the flag - their love of their country is what defines and identifies them. Filipinos have a hard time looking for this. Hindi ko masisi ang tao kasi nga for almost 500 years our people have been violated by the conquerors. The Spaniards identify us as Indios - mere monkeys who have no capacity to uplift themselves. The Americans did not stop the media declaring us as Brown Americans. In fact we are even proud to call ourselves that decades ago. Uncle Sam did not give us the empowerment to be self sufficient as OURSELVES! We were subliminally taught that our very basis of existence and identity is dependent on the dictates of Uncle Sam.

Hindi niyo ba napapansin na ang mga artists natin ay mga tipong ganito: "The Tom Jones of the Philippines" "The Perry Como of the Philippines" "The Beatles of the Philippines". Heck even Arnold Morales of Urban Bandits/Pu3ska was once offered by mainstream media to be the Billy Idol of the Philippines! Why do we have to resort to such labels in order to recognize Pinoy Talent!

OPM did not help either. That organization ORGANISASIYON NG PILIPINONG MANG-AAWIT was not able to uplift the then already thriving talent to the next level. Instead it became an elitist thing! You cannot have the benefits of OPM if you are not a recording artist of a major company. That leaves showbands to fend for themselves! Sino ngayon ang nagpapabilib sa ibang bansa na magaling ang musikong pinoy? Sila Celeste Legaspi ba? Sila Basil Valdez ba? Ang APO Hiking Society ba?
I have nothing against the above mentioned artists but what I'm trying to point is that what supposed to uplift the Filipino Talent (they used to have the slogan WE BELIEVE IN THE FILIPINO TALENT) became an exclusive club for famous recording artists who did very little to give us recognition elsewhere.

Worse, the management of the Wonder Girls has an office in New York! Mando pop is a steadily thriving genre in the States! Legendary Hongkong singing Diva Frances Yip can stand head to head on a Las Vegas concert with the great Angela Bofill in a back to back show! All without trying to be somebody else! And now the kids of today are so crazy with K,J,C,T,and other letters pop! Not that they don't listen to OPM but can you visualize a Japanese teenager with a Gary Valenciano or Wolfgang on his CD collection or iPod? The last Filipino record to hit the American TOP 40 was way back in 1963. It's The Rocky Fellers' "Killer Joe" and yet it only reached I think the top 20. "Anak" did not even hit the Billboard Charts (but it was a huge hit in Japan and Europe but that's a different story).

Think about it. Back to that kid Keith Delleva and now compare to all what I said, sa tingin niyo he could have easily bagged that Pinoys Got Talent by just being himself?

RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline wireless_system

« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »
TO GET THAT INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION, A FOREIGNER HAS TO FIND THEM!

totally agree. natatawana lang ako pag napanood kong finifeature sila sa isang tv show nung naging international artist na sila. Pero nung nandito sila sa pinas balewala lang.

actually iniisip ko na yung "LUCK" ay malaking factor din, bukod sa talent at skills. madaming talented ngayon, pero di nabibigyan ng opportunity to perform internationally. 'di rin lahat ng nagsusumikap sa ginagawa nila ay sineswerte.

And now the kids of today are so crazy with K,J,C,T,and other letters pop!

guilty ako dyan, I like japanese music. wala na rin akong masyadong gusto sa mga local bands. PNE and Bamboo yun na lang napapakinggan ko sa current mainstream. I don't really know underground scene.

IMO mas magbebenefit ang ABS CBN kung singer ang manalo, mas may selling factor to. Wala din namang nakikinig sa mga shred ngayon, kundi mga gitarista din lang.
"I know that I know nothing"-Socrates

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2010, 01:37:44 AM »
It gets better: have you ever thought why have very very very very few outstanding talents that gets international attention? Now before you start sending hate mails to me but it has to be said MARAMING TALENTADONG PINOY. There’s no doubt about that. Ok, we have Charice Pempengco, Arnel Pineda, Lea Salonga, Allan Pineda no doubt outstanding talents. PERO TO GET THAT INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION, A FOREIGNER HAS TO FIND THEM!

Charice Pempengco has to be championed by Oprah, Ellen DeGeneres and David Foster - don't even think ABS CBN did all the dirty work to get where she is! In fact, ABS CBN is not helping Charice's career blossom because they are too busy with Sarah Geronimo and Sheryn Regis. Remember the Born Diva champion Raky Bega? Asan siya ngayon? And when Charice got that international break, ABS CBN kept waving the flag claming that it was they who promoted her to get that attention!

Arnel Pineda: 4 years ago, ang nakakakilala lang sa kaniya ay mga kapwa working musicians like me and my colleagues. Biyahero, papwesto pwesto sa Shakey's and others. Even the so called Pinoy Rock cornerstones like Eraserheads, Parokya ni Edgar, Wolfgang and other have not heard of him that well. But we knew since the mid 80s that Arnel has what it takes to be as good as Steve Perry and Klaus Meine! Pero, if Neal Schon never saw that Youtube video, you think our media will do what it takes to get him an audition with Journey?

Allan Pineda: Although he has been in the States even before he started Black Eyed Peas, he has to go through all the pains to get to where he is now. In short - HE PAID HIS DUES! And yet when media discovered that Apl DeAp is a Pinoy, they stalked the guy as if they were responsible for his popularity!

Lea Salonga: Ok she is an elitist and was never a pang masa kind of entertainer. BUT WHO PROPELLED HER TO INTERNATIONAL STARDOM? Hindi ba the Miss Saigon broadway show? An international enterprise? Did OctoArts lifted a finger? NO. She did it on her own.

What is all this? The Philippines, as a people and nation do not know who they really are. We cannot define in definite terms what is a Filipino! At least the Americans are open to admit they are a melting pot of cultures so you cannot really define an American except a group of people pledging their allegiance to the flag - their love of their country is what defines and identifies them. Filipinos have a hard time looking for this. Hindi ko masisi ang tao kasi nga for almost 500 years our people have been violated by the conquerors. The Spaniards identify us as Indios - mere monkeys who have no capacity to uplift themselves. The Americans did not stop the media declaring us as Brown Americans. In fact we are even proud to call ourselves that decades ago. Uncle Sam did not give us the empowerment to be self sufficient as OURSELVES! We were subliminally taught that our very basis of existence and identity is dependent on the dictates of Uncle Sam.

Hindi niyo ba napapansin na ang mga artists natin ay mga tipong ganito: "The Tom Jones of the Philippines" "The Perry Como of the Philippines" "The Beatles of the Philippines". Heck even Arnold Morales of Urban Bandits/Pu3ska was once offered by mainstream media to be the Billy Idol of the Philippines! Why do we have to resort to such labels in order to recognize Pinoy Talent!

OPM did not help either. That organization ORGANISASIYON NG PILIPINONG MANG-AAWIT was not able to uplift the then already thriving talent to the next level. Instead it became an elitist thing! You cannot have the benefits of OPM if you are not a recording artist of a major company. That leaves showbands to fend for themselves! Sino ngayon ang nagpapabilib sa ibang bansa na magaling ang musikong pinoy? Sila Celeste Legaspi ba? Sila Basil Valdez ba? Ang APO Hiking Society ba?
I have nothing against the above mentioned artists but what I'm trying to point is that what supposed to uplift the Filipino Talent (they used to have the slogan WE BELIEVE IN THE FILIPINO TALENT) became an exclusive club for famous recording artists who did very little to give us recognition elsewhere.

Worse, the management of the Wonder Girls has an office in New York! Mando pop is a steadily thriving genre in the States! Legendary Hongkong singing Diva Frances Yip can stand head to head on a Las Vegas concert with the great Angela Bofill in a back to back show! All without trying to be somebody else! And now the kids of today are so crazy with K,J,C,T,and other letters pop! Not that they don't listen to OPM but can you visualize a Japanese teenager with a Gary Valenciano or Wolfgang on his CD collection or iPod? The last Filipino record to hit the American TOP 40 was way back in 1963. It's The Rocky Fellers' "Killer Joe" and yet it only reached I think the top 20. "Anak" did not even hit the Billboard Charts (but it was a huge hit in Japan and Europe but that's a different story).

Think about it. Back to that kid Keith Delleva and now compare to all what I said, sa tingin niyo he could have easily bagged that Pinoys Got Talent by just being himself?

True. Very true.

But still... call me naive but I trust that the universe knows what it's doing and that not a snowflake falls out of place. :-)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »
totally agree. natatawana lang ako pag napanood kong finifeature sila sa isang tv show nung naging international artist na sila. Pero nung nandito sila sa pinas balewala lang.

actually iniisip ko na yung "LUCK" ay malaking factor din, bukod sa talent at skills. madaming talented ngayon, pero di nabibigyan ng opportunity to perform internationally. 'di rin lahat ng nagsusumikap sa ginagawa nila ay sineswerte.

guilty ako dyan, I like japanese music. wala na rin akong masyadong gusto sa mga local bands. PNE and Bamboo yun na lang napapakinggan ko sa current mainstream. I don't really know underground scene.

IMO mas magbebenefit ang ABS CBN kung singer ang manalo, mas may selling factor to. Wala din namang nakikinig sa mga shred ngayon, kundi mga gitarista din lang.

I love listening to older 80's and 90's Pinoy bands. Buti marami na rin sa youtube some songs and artists are so hard to find nowadays.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »
I love listening to older 80's and 90's Pinoy bands. Buti marami na rin sa youtube some songs and artists are so hard to find nowadays.

wala ng new songs (opm) na talagang tumatanin sa isip ko yung melody/lyrics, tumatanda na ba talaga o wala lang talagang maganda? kumpara sa mga songs dati :?

ah yung album ni Ely and Francis M's In Love and War trip ko, pero part pa rin sila ng 90s  :lol:

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »
Sa ngayon, selected few na lang. Mas naka tatak sa isip ko yung mga lumang kanta. And this is the generation where high end equipments are so easy to purchase.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
all musicians are listeners,.but not all listeners are musicians