hulika

Author Topic: Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars  (Read 25076 times)

william251082

Re: Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
Medyo below the belt naman yata pag nangbabash na ng playing ng may playing.
bashing=immaturity
Constructive criticism is better. Wala ka namang kasing mapapatunayan sa bashing eh.
Just sayin'... :roll:

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
one thing i noticed na paulit ulit na lang here in philmusic is "skill" versus "tone / good or dead sounding guitar"

the guy is talking about "tone" and not "skill"

so let him be... sa kanya na ang superior sounding gear...

but as what aya said... if your gear makes you happy and a better musician, good...

if not, then get something better that will inspire you and make you play better...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:26:16 PM by gainsucker »

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »

+9 on the jazz boxes statement.

Yup for the price the Ibanez Artcores are very very impressive kahit yung pinakamura.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline colorless krayola

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
Sigh.

O, siya... serious answer...

Shakespeare would still be Shakespeare whether he used a Bic Ballpen or a laptop computer.

Bach would still be Bach whether he used a Merit music writing notebook or a piece of parchment.

Pensa-Suhr, Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, Epiphone -- they can all be great tools, in the hands of people with something to say.

Does anyone care what brand of underpants Lebron James uses when he sinks the winnng basket? Are there "dead-sounding" men's underpants?

Play your Ibanez, if you dig it. Play your heart out. If it makes your heart sing, that's ultimately what matters.

Play your Suhr and your Diezel, if you dig those tools. Play your heart out, no matter how much others might bash your playing. If it makes your heart sing, that's ultimately what matters.

The reason I post nonsensical absurdities is to point out the nonsensical nature of the whole my-gear-can-kick-your-gear's-behind debate. All art is subjective, art's tools included. Taste is subjective. There are billions of people, millions of musicians. No one has a monopoly on Absolute Truth.

Each person's taste vis a vis the gear he uses is as valid as the next's.

If one is happy with one's gear, that's great! Saying that someone else's gear sucks and his/her taste in gear is necessarily inferior to one's own is no less ridiculous than nonsense about Beetwater.

Intelligent enough, sir?

Yan lang pwede na i-close ang thread.
It speaks a lot.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:49:40 PM by colorless krayola »
I don't know how to play, I just spread my emotions into the fretboard.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2010, 09:04:43 PM »
ilang araw lang ako hindi nag philmusic ang haba na agad neto

waw
 :mrgreen:
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
Wish i could afford a suhr and a diezel... Oh well....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:23:37 PM by alvinratsim »
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
i had a feeling that by the end of the argument... lalabas nanaman yung suhr. it did.  :lol:

di bale, hahabol ako. bibili rin ako ng suhr!  :-D

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
i had a feeling that by the end of the argument... lalabas nanaman yung suhr. it did.  :lol:

di bale, hahabol ako. bibili rin ako ng suhr!  :-D
haha ako rin! or Tom Anderson na lang kaya...or Fender CS, haha. :lol:

grabe, barely over a day lang ako di nag log in ang haba na nito. I never did like Ibanez RG's or any of their "shred" models so di ko masabi kung ok ba o hindi, for me those guitars are too "easy" haha. if it ain't hard to play it ain't a good guitar, haha as if naman magaling ako mag-gitara. :lol:

pero yung artcore I have had the chance to own two, they were great in terms of detail and craftsmanship, but it won't compete with gibsons in terms of sound/tone IMO.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
Wish i could afford a suhr and a diezel... Oh well....

Alvin, ang mura na nang diesel ngayon 33 petot na lang and you still can't afford it? :mrgreen:
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
Alvin, ang mura na nang diesel ngayon 33 petot na lang and you still can't afford it? :mrgreen:

mahal pa yan dude.. minsan pumalo lang ang diesel ng 25 petot.. mas steal yun..  :lol:

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »
haha ako rin! or Tom Anderson na lang kaya...or Fender CS, haha. :lol:

Tom Anderson all the way, tested it and i would prefer it than a fender, give it a try

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
Tom Anderson all the way, tested it and i would prefer it than a fender, give it a try
I wish I could chief, kaya lang wala yata Tom Anderson dito sa Manila hehe, someday maybe when I get the chance...and the dough. :lol:

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
lol  :-D hoy out of topic na tayo. Back to the topic na.. Tsk tsk..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:39:58 AM by alvinratsim »
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline jojojo

• Netizen Level
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
@TS pinahirapan mo lang ung sales rep... send herman li a video of how great your ears are and maybe we'll not be getting another nintendo inspired, dragonforce album.
Tetragrammaton (YWH)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2010, 05:50:46 AM »
The highlighted phrase will definitely kill a lot of pricks here. :-D

Yeah but some tools are better than others... heh heh.  I honestly believe that if you can't tell the difference between mediocre and great sounding gear, then you either don't know what you want or you are deaf- specially those who cannot separate equipment from technique. 

Someone once said, lahat naman ng gitara (maski na gawang santa mesa) magagamit para matapos ang gig.  Ang tanong is pareho ba ang kaligayahan sa bawat isang gitara?

william251082

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
Nung gumamit si George Benson ng tele dito, he sounded like himself pero nagtunog archtop ba? hindi, di ba? nagtunog tele.
feature=related

Eto pa, si Scofield gumamit ng tele, nagtunog semi hollow body ba like the guitar that he's always using? also not, nagtunog tele ulit, medyo maglinis ka ng tenga if you can't hear the difference (joke) :-D

Which just means:
Tone from the fingers and tone from the gear compliment each other but they're different. Just my own observation. 8-)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:11:30 AM by william251082 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2010, 06:11:18 AM »
Nung gumamit si George Benson ng tele dito, he sounded like himself pero nagtunog archtop ba? hindi, di ba? nagtunog tele.
feature=related

Which just means:
Tone from the fingers and tone from the gear compliment each other but they're different. Just my own observation. 8-)

But can George Benson sound like you?  Can George Benson sound like George Harison? or George Lynch? Each person has a unique tone,style and technique and I agree that they complement but even I believe that George Benson can tell mediocre equipment from great instruments.  Unfortunately, a great majority of people cannot and they always point out the tone is in the fingers arguement to cover up their severe lack of hearing or in the case of a lot of people in philmusic their EGO.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
Hi Sir Alex!

I totally agree about the quality thing. I had an an S-series just like yours, but probably a lower model. S470 MIJ, Mahogany body. It sounded great even if it was stock and it played like a dream. I tried other MIJ RG's that came out later and I was really disappointed. However, I keep my RG7420 MIJ 7-string because it sounded so amazing after a pickup change. I would like to try your good sounding guitars sometime though. It may change my opinion about my currently owned guitars.

However, I think that companies these days try to cope up with the economy too (sometimes it's not the best thing to do but they have to, to survive in the tough market) so they make lower end models that people can afford. Can you imagine if RJ guitars never existed? The Philippine music scene would never have boomed like it did because nobody would be able to learn how to play as fast. So it depends on what their target market is. They still probably cost cut but at least they're not totally unusable. So I guess that they we should compare your good sounding guitars to the ones at par in price and make. Maybe your call would be to the high end ones initially.

Let me know if we could tone party sometime.
Rob  :-)

Rob, I can go to your house anytime so you can compare using your equipment.

I do recognize the importance that Ibanez's role but they just don't produce good sounding guitars. 

In my experience at Swee Lee, I pointed out that the CHEAPER sounding Jackson Soloist sounded much much better the Thrice the price of  MIJ Ibanez Herman Li and TWO Herman Li's at that.   

With regards to the guitars I have, they are best that can be at their respective price range and above.  3 out of my four guitars were selected by the best EARs in the music business.  The fourth was a Suhr Modern that I specifically picked from Mannys New York back in June 2008.  It beat the Tom Andersons, Gibson Custom Shops, Fender Custom Shops, Dean USA made guitars, PRS Ten Tops, etc.  The Manny's people were kind enough to let me test all their high end guitars for almost five hours on a suhr badger.  And the Mannys guys also felt it was the best sounding guitar in their inventory at that time.  I mean the Suhr modern at US$3k beat their US$5k and up guitars. 

Just two weeks ago, I tested a Nik Huber and it fell short of the Baker in terms of response but... I do believe as Cliff has stated that Nik Huber is getting better at it. 

Unlike a lot of people on this forum who will say that whatever you have is ok and kanya kanya, I am the type of person who will tell you whether a piece of gear sounds bad whether cheap or expensive so that you don't have to waste your money on it.  Just as I did in Singapore two weeks ago, spend 5 or more hours testing a large selection of guitars, I also spent an equal amount of time at 30th Street Guitars, Matt Umanov, and Chelsea guitars testing the most expensive guitars on earth and I will tell you that a great majority also sound bad.  My rule will always stick -- about 98% of ALL guitars sound bad. 

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2010, 07:17:58 AM »
Whatever rocks your boat ika nga. The guitar is a beast that needs to be tamed by it's owner. May it be a low end guitar or high end guitar it just has to sing in ones hands. Maybe a Suhr will not work for a player so accustomed to Ibanez, or vice versa. But for me the best ears who can judge this are the people watching you play. If you may have the best sounding equipment but cannot make that equipment sound right, then what is there to debate about? All musicians may agree that it's not the brand, it's not the value, it's finding the right equipment that my hands are most comfortable with in playing.

But I agree with Alex that even the most expensive equipment is not the best equipment. It is true George Benson sounding like George Benson even if he played on a tele or hollowbody. But distinctly it would sound as how that guitar should sound.

Every artist may it be foreign or local started out with some low end equipment, if not low end they at least started out with what they can afford at that time. In time when their music grew so did their preference. They may have stuck with the same gear or brand, or they may have added their gear. But in any first, second, or third album each approach to their town will be different due to the gear changes.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline firewaterjem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2010, 07:40:19 AM »
OT:

i just wanna ask Fafi Alex...

for a filipino that can afford an electric guitar within these price range...

20k - 30K
30k - 40k
40k - 60k

what would be your recommended brand of guitar for rock, pop and blues

in terms of response, tone, playability and over-all versitility?

with the conclusions you've made by your assesstments with Ibanez's RGs, Ss and a few signature series

if you were to categorize there price range how much would you amount these guitars?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:46:32 AM by firewaterjem »

Offline superbuni123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2010, 08:06:55 AM »
With regards to the guitars I have, they are best that can be at their respective price range and above.  3 out of my four guitars were selected by the best EARs in the music business. 
Learning to be a man without losing the boy in me...

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
OT na kayong lahat  :lol:

anyway, my 2 cents. assess each guitar by its OWN merits. yun lang. Surely there will be s SPECIFIC herman li that will sound better than the jackson alex tested. Maybe even on par with the baker. in terms of response pa yan ha. put of the million herman li guitars produced. surely there will be at least 1 that is killer. Surely, Gene is producing more responsive guitars consistently but out of a million ibanez, gibsons, fenders or what not produced, I'm quite sure that there would be SOME big brand guitars which sounds better, responds better to bakers.

eto pa, i exchanged emails with one of the guys at tgp. meron siyang gustavsson. and he even commented na not all JGs sound killer. meron ding mga oridinaryo. and i think he had 2 or 3. so judge each guitar INDIVIDUALLY.

-Neal
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:26:34 AM by nealyu »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
Rob, I can go to your house anytime so you can compare using your equipment.

In my experience at Swee Lee, I pointed out that the CHEAPER sounding Jackson Soloist sounded much much better the Thrice the price of  MIJ Ibanez Herman Li and TWO Herman Li's at that.  

for the most part i myself dont like herman li or his designed guitar, if i wanted to pickup a really good one..based on player specs, he's definitely not in my list

even between testing 3 different jackson PC models(1 pre FMIC and 2 FMIC made) between fretwork and all the pre FMIC felt more desirable in terms of selection of wood but my co-worker decided to return it because of a non working sustainer system, then comes the two PC-1 FMIC custom shop it was natural finish one and a blue PC-1 the blue pc's are drop dead gorgeous but with both being from the same customshop you can definitely tell the natural one had a better feel to and sound acoustically..not both are done by 1 single employee and that is the reality of things..nothing is consistent

With regards to the guitars I have, they are best that can be at their respective price range and above.  3 out of my four guitars were selected by the best EARs in the music business.  The fourth was a Suhr Modern that I specifically picked from Mannys New York back in June 2008.  It beat the Tom Andersons, Gibson Custom Shops, Fender Custom Shops, Dean USA made guitars, PRS Ten Tops, etc.  The Manny's people were kind enough to let me test all their high end guitars for almost five hours on a suhr badger.  And the Mannys guys also felt it was the best sounding guitar in their inventory at that time.  I mean the Suhr modern at US$3k beat their US$5k and up guitars.  

well manny's seem to have a lot of bad sounding guitars, kidding aside..my experience with a tom anderson droptop was different in fact you might question the price of these guitars but they do sound are made well,

Unlike a lot of people on this forum who will say that whatever you have is ok and kanya kanya, I am the type of person who will tell you whether a piece of gear sounds bad whether cheap or expensive so that you don't have to waste your money on it.  

That's good at least you can have a perspective you can claim and focus on your own, but i dont think one experience can even vouch for numerous gears that are out there, its a good 'say' on things but will remain as that

My rule will always stick -- about 98% of ALL guitars sound bad.  

on countless guitars being built out there, there is that chance that even yours can be bad sounding to you compared to the same model build.

anyway back on topic

has anyone done something yet?  Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars

i've posted links and suggestions, does anyone else want to do something that could generate some better results for 'the call out'?

i guess this is philmusic...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:24:09 AM by bryanarzaga »

Offline superbuni123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »
has anyone done something yet?  Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars
i've posted links and suggestions, does anyone else want to do something that could generate some better results for 'the call out'?
i guess this is philmusic...

:-D

Most of us guys here love Ibanez.
Learning to be a man without losing the boy in me...

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
:-D

Most of us guys here love Ibanez.

i have nothing against that, but the purpose was and i do hope there was purpose to improve the said guitars, something should be done..
if it was just a thread to point out the flaws of $229 rg -$1200 and prestige units..just a FYI this isnt the first one..

let me help, if Alex(pdf signed lengthy and detailed) writes an email of the detailed flaws of said guitars' ill personally print it email it to the stores that i know has an ibanez rep, ill drop it there/mail it etc..

and to us who do agree something needs to be done price points/specs (sorry gio's not included) on the 200-1200 guitars(not going to touch the signature guitars), add your comments and honest points

ill post pics of the mailings going on..etc..if this is a truly serious matter lets make it happen..