hulika

Author Topic: Am I the only one here who doesnt shred?  (Read 23813 times)

Offline incubus_boy08

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Am I the only one here who doesnt shred?
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2010, 09:02:31 AM »
Ako din.. Pero di ako impressed sa shredding. A good technique but you can't shred all day long lalo na kung di na swak sa progression. So instead, I just use my melodic licks and techniques that will express my feelings like pull-offs, bends, hammer-ons, etc. If I learn to shred, then that will be a great addition right?

Offline rayq78

« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
I've been playing guitar seriously for quite some time already, but for some reason, i've never caught the "shred" bug.

I cant shred. I can only play the simplest of legatos. Poorly even. I am very keen on learning new things on the guitar but through the years, i've never thought of pushing myself to learn how to play fast. I don't even try. As much as i'd love to learn it, I just don't find the need for it.

I've done some thinking and i've come to realize that a guitarists playing style is largely contributed to the music he loves to listen to. Not the cool new band you accidentally discovered online because you were bored, but the kind of music that you actually seek because you dig it so much... and simply put, mine doesn't require me to shred.

Ok. Enough of the melancholy. Those who don't (can't) shred, raise your right hand!

P.S
This is not a hate thread.

you dont need to learn it.. as long that you enjoy playing... ma-frustrate ka lang pag hindi mo makuha... learn to play good melodies that do not require fast guitar...

like Mr. Eric Clapton the slow hands...  =)    daw...
Witness to an atheist or agnostic
www.evolutionVsGod.com

Offline Mike.B.

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »
16 y.o., and i prefer blues over shred any day  :-D
both hands raised  :-D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:01:04 AM by Mike.B. »

Bare bones board: Mooer Baby Tuner -> CBM-95 -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Mooer Ana Echo (from ron_rd7) -> Mooer Micro Looper
Powered by DIY non-isolated 9V supply

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
i dont shred :) di ako shreder,,pero i appreciate shred music :),,,pero mas ok prefer ko yung blues :) tska tamang rock lang whee :P
AMMK!!!

Offline thrash666

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
I don't think na maappreciate talaga ang shredding kung metal ang pinapakinggan mo. For example, blues pinapakinggan mo, talagang hindi mo talaga magugustuhan ang shredding. pero kung nag Metal ka na, shred all the way  :lol:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
I don't think na maappreciate talaga ang shredding kung metal ang pinapakinggan mo. For example, blues pinapakinggan mo, talagang hindi mo talaga magugustuhan ang shredding. pero kung nag Metal ka na, shred all the way  :lol:

Ever heard of blues shred? not only metal guys shred..
Joe Bonamassa blues shred

shredding is not just what you commonly see na pilantik ng mga daliri pataas at pababa na sobrang bilis and with TONS of gain.. although that's how people generally see shredding..

here's another blues shred..
Homero Bittencourt

Not to mention sina Guthrie Govan at Alex Hutchings..  :lol:
blues, jazz, fusion shred.. but they ain't metal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:41:55 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
Al Di Meola, jazz shred. Idol!  :-D

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
LIES. I've seen it.  :-P HAHA.  :lol:

I think I'm more of legato licks. Hirap mag shred. HAHA. ALTERNATE PICKING FAIL.

you LIE! lol...  :lol:
[

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »
even before the term shred was invented ( or emerged ), guys like Django, Barney Kessel, John Mc Laughlin, were already doing it. if playing very fast licks & scales is the basis for what we call shred, then Jazz / bebop cats like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Ornete Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Cannonball, Mc Coy Tyner & even Pat Martino would be "categorized" as sreadders  :-D

But the grand daddy of shred must be Paganini.

that's where that douche YJM got his demonic arpeggios from hell.  :-D :evil:

Offline ernestjulian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
me. di makapag shred haha! practice lang darating din tayo sa ganung point.
I play guitars for EMBERCORE | LITA'S CURSE | BLUNT CONCEPT

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:04 AM »
shredding is so '80s.

can't shred to save my life.

do i envy those who do? to some degree, yes.

Postcoital bliss is not a government housing project in Quezon City.
VidProkEnMasse ~ video processing software
http://vidprokenmasse.blogspot.com/2014/07/vidprokenmasse.html

Offline tetsu83

• Netizen Level
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:06 AM »
me dont shred. used to be a weekend blues jam bassist a couple years back. say hello to my heavy fingers.
had to take up lead guitar duties only last year.
i had to admit i drool over seeing a 7stringer floyded guitar being shredded on,
yet it appears to me as a sign that says: "dont try this at home"
and i dont feel the need to shred (yet).
In the journey to find your tone, you need GAS.
Thank goodness there's Philmusic and the people that help you save some.
  alongwithothermulti-instrumentalistsintheworld-wishingforfourhandsormore.

william251082

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2010, 12:34:26 AM »
even before the term shred was invented ( or emerged ), guys like Django, Barney Kessel, John Mc Laughlin, were already doing it. if playing very fast licks & scales is the basis for what we call shred, then Jazz / bebop cats like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Ornete Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Cannonball, Mc Coy Tyner & even Pat Martino would be "categorized" as sreadders  :-D

But the grand daddy of shred must be Paganini.

that's where that douche YJM got his demonic arpeggios from hell.  :-D :evil:

Korek ka dyan bro, younger players today just play really fast to impress people.

When you hear fast lines from Charlie Parker, George Benson, John Coltrane etc. its all melodic, in other words walang nasasayang na nota.

Kumbaga may sense yung sinasabi at hindi lang puro giberish.

Unlike most shredders today, it's just some fast note-patterns played over and over, boring lang pakinggan.

Their playing only comes from the finger, from finger exercises not really what they hear inside.

That's the reason kaya panget ang reputation ng mga shredders at pinagtatawanan lang sila ng mga ibang instrumentalists.

I guess why nothing good is associated with shredding is because good music needs contrast, obviously, kung puro fast lang eh di boring.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:39:27 AM by william251082 »

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2010, 01:15:20 AM »
shredding is always associated with rock guitar but the truth is you're already shredding if you're running fast melodic runs on the fretboard no matter what genre. (fast non melodic runs is not shredding). :-(

it's sometimes used like this: "you totally shredded the fretboard to pieces dude" ( i think it's an 80s term).

and also, you guys can shred. i've seen some of your youtubes. you just don't do it all the time.

neo shred - now that's a different story. :-D

me no shred. me just play pentatonics :evil:

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
Wish i could shred..
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »
may isa rin akong tanong... akala ko tapos na mga masasayang araw ng floyd rose locking trem... baket marami pa rin naghahanap/nagbebenta nito sa classifieds? it is useful for some insane wanking... ahehehe, grows old quickly though... but do kids still do divebombs these days?

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
I just watched a gig last sat, dami pa din bro. I was really surprised.
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline chiqgarcia

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2010, 02:52:45 AM »
talaga.

i don't remember the last time i saw a floyd-equipped guitar on mtv... baka headbanger's ball pa yun. hahaha

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2010, 04:12:56 AM »
Gusto ko mag shred pero ayaw ata ng shred sa akin

I RAISE MY HAND!!!!
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2010, 06:10:55 AM »
Korek ka dyan bro, younger players today just play really fast to impress people.

When you hear fast lines from Charlie Parker, George Benson, John Coltrane etc. its all melodic, in other words walang nasasayang na nota.

Unlike most shredders today, it's just some fast note-patterns played over and over, boring lang pakinggan.

Their playing only comes from the finger, from finger exercises not really what they hear inside.

That's the reason kaya panget ang reputation ng mga shredders at pinagtatawanan lang sila ng mga ibang instrumentalists.

I guess why nothing good is associated with shredding is because good music needs contrast, obviously, kung puro fast lang eh di boring.

this is what i wanna hear!!!

Offline appleseed

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2010, 07:55:18 AM »

+1 sapul!

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »

Offline juan_portnoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »

Amen to this!

Watching guitarists do 1 technique over and over is as exciting as watching plants grow.

If you wanna keep your audience interested you'll definitely have to mix it up.

I also disslike "shredders" who sound "busy". Like they're doing a million things a minute that they don't have enough time to create good melody anymore. They end up sounding like they're doing finger excercises instead.
We're all entitled to our own dementia.  :-P

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »
^^ YOU GOT IT RIGHT BROTHER hehhe :) nasapul mo papa :P
AMMK!!!

Offline LesBol

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
I only appreciate shredding when watching Satriani. Its because he can maintian to be melodic vis-a-vis his fast lines. Pero if shredding becomes a finger exercise of note cycles, then it's become a boring sound.

I still prefer simple lines yet with strong melodic actuations.