hulika

Author Topic: What do the professional people here think about Urban Dub?  (Read 8460 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
What can you say about Urbandub's CDs?  I mean, from a production standpoint?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
What do the professional people here think about Urban Dub?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 03:30:55 AM »
A friend of mine bouyght me their two CDs as a Christmas present and here is what I think:

Songwriting: the songwriting is great; the hooks are memorable, the lyrics have good formulation. The riffs are good and creative. The songs have a good pop feel to them that has meaning and does not try to sound like anybody else. Overall, I thought the albums Influence and Embrace, are very listener friendly.

Production: the sound needs a lot of work. A lot. The micing certainly requires a lot more work because everything from the guitars, vocals, drums, and bass have no öomph" to them, there is too much air in the different elements of the recording, and the recordings sound like they have too much air floating around in the tracks. The EQing needs a lot of work, and "mastering"needs to be done with a proper set of monitors. I wondered why the songs sounded like they did so, I looked at the mastering credits - oh - the "mastering" was done by the same guy that did the mixing, most likely at the very same place the recording was done. As a result of this discovery, I asked around about Backyard Studios from fellows who had seen or were familiar with the facility in Cebu. It turns out the place is housed in a back yard, in a building made of concrete with no proper monitoring system, or recording wall treatment. It figures. It turns out they run a carenderia (eatery) business there too.

Now, I am all for the D-I-Y ethic but this is why recordings such as UrbanDub's Embrace and Influence sound the way they do: people try to juggle everything that they can, thinking that it is "good enough." For local distribution and subpar sonic standards? Sure. Can the production compete with internationally distributed music? Not likely.

Apparently, Urband Dub's sound is not unique since the sonic signature of this Demetrio guy is all over Slapshock's latest offering, as well as Agaw Agimat's last two records. All three band's music are different but the sterile production of the music is there.

Note: For your reference, I monitored Urban Dub (Influence, Embrace), Slapshock (Silence), and Agaw Agimat (Mantra) through the following monitoring speakers (see below). I use these a lot, often on a daily basis, so I know how they translate sound in different genres. The CDs were not r*pped. I listened to the original copies straight from the CD to ensure that I was listening to an accurate representation of what was on the disc.

Monitor 1: Event ASP8, 2: Genelec 1032A, 3: Dyna Audio BM6 (borrowed from my brother's setup who deals a lot with drum tracking)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:28:11 AM »
stonefree ?  :lol:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:48:01 AM »
Quote from: bugoy

Didn't have access to their CDs. I had enough trouble asking around for people who had bought Agaw Agimat and Slapshock. Personally, listening to Slapshock was annoying because it was like a bad immitation of Limp Bizkit and every other chewed up and has-been Nu Metal band from the West Coast to the East. The southern state's never really dabbled in the Nu -Metal thing but when they did come close, their sound was often richer in lyrical content, riffs, and southern influenced groove tempos. East coast bands were more raw, with a very urban feel to their music which was in contrast to west coast people who had either, a more care free rap-vibe or, an aggressive gangster atmosphere. Agaw Agmiat was different - it felt very indie and punk influenced with a touch of Brit goth here and there. You don't see that type of vibe very much in the mainstream even internationally. I found this particularly refreshing considering a recent revival of Goth pioneers Bauhaus who I just saw on tour with Nine Inch Nails; now I remember why Peter Murphy is one of my favorite vocalists.

Urban Dub's writing is just catchy, simple, and the arrangement of the music makes listening to their records a catchy experience. I heard about Cueshe'- they're just plain gay, an embarassing addition to the already overdone sap-rock rep Pinoy's have to deal with.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:40:10 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
Quote from: bugoy

Slapshock was annoying because it was like a bad immitation of Limp Bizkit

LOLOLOL !!!  :lol: nice..

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 05:54:03 PM »
I really liked EMBRACE. Beyond the excellent songwriting and engaging arrangements - I thought that production wise - it's a step forward for Pinoy rock music - elaborate, some nice reverb trails and just about right amount of panning. I thought there could've been a wider dynamic range though.

I wouldn't fault them for doing everything themselves. But I could find fault in the lack of Tagalog/Cebuano material.

There are some really sloppy records out there - but that's part of the DIY ethic. As long they are not out of tune, that would be the last straw.

I monitored through KRK v6, JBL LSR4326, NS-10/Hafler, AKG 240.

Long live OPM.  :D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 09:09:43 PM »
the use of delay effects in Urban Dub's songs are pretty catchy, you don't hear very many delay type effects nowadays in OPM. but like I said, the production, although a step forward, needs a lot of work still. Hopefully, the production skills and products of the music scene at home will improve in leaps and bounds so OPM produced records will be able to compete with other polished material in the global music marketplace.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:03:11 PM »
abbys
 there is a guy named demetrio who's in chicago producing rap and r n b recordings??? is that him?? check out poptimesmagazine.com
Music is art in sound...

Offline RastaJalil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 05:09:33 AM »
Lalay!  :P

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 08:29:25 AM »
can't say, BALDO. I've never heard of the guy or worked with him.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 06:37:54 PM »
You don't need high-end monitors to hear the squashed up, digitally-processed mushy guitar and drum sounds of all the Urban Dub albums.  Even a side-by-side comparison on a boombox can tell the story.

I remember Gabby being interviewed on radio before saying how proud he was to produce the album all by themselves.   :lol:  These guys need to read more reference materials for recording.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 08:02:11 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
You don't need high-end monitors to hear the squashed up, digitally-processed mushy guitar and drum sounds of all the Urban Dub albums.  Even a side-by-side comparison on a boombox can tell the story.

I remember Gabby being interviewed on radio before saying how proud he was to produce the album all by themselves.   :lol:  These guys need to read more reference materials for recording.

True. You don't need high-end monitors to hear that there is "something" wrong with the mix, however, the value with running the signal through such speakers is to see WHAT is wrong, and where the shortcoming of the mix may be coming from. Although UrbanDub's music in my car sounds bass heavy (even with all the settings flat - no boost or cut - running the mix through a set of monitors show that there really isn't very much heavy frencies dialed in. Rather, the mix that I thought was heavy was actually muddy through a set of monitors. Looking through a frquency analyzer in Wavelab verified this as well.

I guess Gabby is proud of the fact that they did the D-I-Y route, which is admirable. However, the fact remains that the record production would have benefitted GREATLY from additional reference materials and further polishing of the product.

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 04:48:40 AM »
Tanong nyo kay Balta gaano ka pangit at kaliit ang recording Studio na ginamit ng UrbanDub, when Balta visited here in Cebu, hindi siya makapaniwala kung gaano kaliit ang studio at gaano ka kulang sa gamit ang studio, I don't know why a lot of people record there when there's a lot of studio's here in Cebu offering much a better recording quality. Kahit slaoshock doon nag lay down ng guitar tracks nila, and most of the bands here in Cebu prefer to record there...... I just don't get it. siguro dahil sa word of mouth or is it because it's cheap to record there?

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 07:09:50 AM »
well let's look at the bright side.   now the guy is getting enough attention and clients that he will surely be able to afford better stuff in the future.  he has talent to begin with, and soon he can acquire the better tools of the trade and more reference materials.  it's actually very admirable for someone with little equipment to create something passable enough for commercial release.  i havent personally heard these cd's, but if sound weavers says that it is a step forward for pinoy rock, i trust that it's even better than most in the local market, correct me if im wrong.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »
Quote from: tony2tone
Tanong nyo kay Balta gaano ka pangit at kaliit ang recording Studio na ginamit ng UrbanDub, when Balta visited here in Cebu, hindi siya makapaniwala kung gaano kaliit ang studio at gaano ka kulang sa gamit ang studio, I don't know why a lot of people record there when there's a lot of studio's here in Cebu offering much a better recording quality. Kahit slaoshock doon nag lay down ng guitar tracks nila, and most of the bands here in Cebu prefer to record there...... I just don't get it. siguro dahil sa word of mouth or is it because it's cheap to record there?

Bottomline whether sa recording or kahit ano pang crafts or industry? Wala sa gamit. Nasa Gumagamit.

Starfugger, don't take my word for it. Give the disc and a spin and let us know what you think.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
i sure will Sound Weavers.  is this the same guy who did the new Slap Shock album?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 09:47:25 AM »
Hzel: yeah, its the same guy.

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »
FYI. I don't like the sound of the new Slapshock album. Medyo manipis. ;)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »
hmmmm. ano kaya yung studio na yon? now im really curious. i've heard the new slapshock album, albeit very briefly.  it has enough oomph (kinda harsh ... like digital is naturally).  genre aside, the recording quality IS as good as (probably better than) most LOCAL recordings out there. it definitely has more angst than the old slapshock albums done in Tracks.  now, dont get me wrong.  Angee remains to be one of my favorite mixers to date, but maybe new blood is starting to gain momentum ...

on the side, im thinking that maybe our local productions can benefit greatly from pro mastering facilities abroad.  i mean, since they saved so much on production going the DIY route, why not allocate what was saved on proper mastering? just a thought.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »
Quote from: Sound Weavers

Malamang they need better monitors or they need to treat their mxing room.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »
Hwag lang tayong maging super technical. Music is not only about sounds but about the song. :D

Ayos naman yung songs and music ng Slapshock sa album, medyo manipis lang ang dating. Atsaka parang sobrang linis ata. Pero taken as a whole kick ass pa rin cla.

Gerry

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 03:19:03 PM »
Hazel, i would imagine na there are places in the Phils that can do mastering. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a place that has facilities capable of properly mastering audio in a properly treated room. I mean, BMG, WEA, Warner Brothers - I think - all have subsidiaries in the Phils so wouldn't they have people and faciltites that can handle mastering jobs? If there aren't there are a lot of places in Singapore, China, Hong Kong and Japan that specialize in mastering services.

On a different note, I have been keeping an eye on the latest Boom Boom Satellites album, Pill. I was surprised to find out that although the record was recorded, mixed and finalized in Tokyo, they opted to send out the mastering elsewhere - in New York, specifically. Now, their previous albums sounded great but I think the change in mastering duties is a call for a bit of change since the feel of the album is quite different than their other bodies of work.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 06:15:55 PM »
i dont know of too many mastering facilities here in manila, abyss.  maybe a couple. and i hope that some professional's horror stories are no longer true --- i have been told that mastering in the past (by no less than one of the popular labels) was done in an old bodega.  in my opinion, i think facilities that offer mastering services here in the philippines are mostly recording studios that do mastering on the side.  nothing wrong with this.  but i am curious as to how far dedicated mastering can elevate the quality of local productions.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 07:55:35 PM »
Quote from: KitC

Malamang they need better monitors or they need to treat their mxing room.

GUITAR SOUND: Parang bubuyog na gusto maging dragon ang tunog...
DRUM SOUND: 1-Dimensional na sana gumamit na lang sila ng fruity loops ;)
MASTERING:  Digital Mush + brickwall compression = LISTENING FATIGUE!
PERFORMANCE: Nu-metal switches to Metalcore.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry but everything I said also applies to UrbanDub's albums as well.  (Except the performance thingy) Please tell Gabby about that...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 07:58:30 PM »
Hwag lang tayong maging super technical. Music is not only about sounds but about the song. :D

Ayos naman yung songs and music ng Slapshock sa album, medyo manipis lang ang dating. Atsaka parang sobrang linis ata. Pero taken as a whole kick ass pa rin cla.

Gerry

Dude, as a recording engineer or producer, the assumption is THE ARTIST SOUNDS GOOD.  Now, your role is HOW TO MAKE THEM SOUND BETTER, and NOT TO MAKE THEM SOUND MORE PATHETIC.  Of course, if the artist sounds like crap, no amount of topdollar equipment will save their life.